I suffer from motion sickness. Can I ride...?

Nebula

Mouseketeer
We're going to WDW in less than 3 weeks - yay! My 16-year-old cousin picked our Fast Passes, and I'm a little nervous. I get motion sick, and while I'll be bringing Dramamine with me, I'm wondering if anyone else with this problem can shed some light on how these rides might affect me?

- Star Tours
- Expedition Everest
- Big Thunder Mountain
- Test Track

I'm definitely staying away from anything with loops or that goes around and around... and Mission: Space. I'm not too worried about BTM because I've heard it's not exactly an extreme coaster. I think I'll be OK with Test Track as well. I'm most concerned about Star Tours since it's a motion simulator.

My DW suffers from motion sickness as well. She takes a Bonine motion sickness pill everyday. She rides Big Thunder Mountain and Test Track without a problem. She doesn't ride either Star Tours or Expedition Everest. The 7DMT or the tea cups aren't a problem either. She does fine as long as she takes her Bonine.

I do too, and every time we go to Disney, I use TransDermal Scop patches. They go just behind your ear. Wear them for 3 days, then replace it. It is an antihistamine so it will dry you out, but it's worth it to me so I can ride Everest and the like. I get them by prescription from my doctor.

We're going to WDW in less than 3 weeks - yay! My 16-year-old cousin picked our Fast Passes, and I'm a little nervous. I get motion sick, and while I'll be bringing Dramamine with me, I'm wondering if anyone else with this problem can shed some light on how these rides might affect me?

- Star Tours
- Expedition Everest
- Big Thunder Mountain
- Test Track

I'm definitely staying away from anything with loops or that goes around and around... and Mission: Space. I'm not too worried about BTM because I've heard it's not exactly an extreme coaster. I think I'll be OK with Test Track as well. I'm most concerned about Star Tours since it's a motion simulator.

I don't get motion sickness. But Star Tours has a high nausea factor. I'd definitely not do that one if you're unsure. EE has that backward section that some people report feels like a loop, but isn't. That's likely out. Test Track should be ok. Big thunder should also be OK.

Thanks for everyone's input. I want to try EE, and I LOVE Star Wars, but I really don't want to include WDW on my list of places I've barfed.

You can hit the shows. Make it a food vacation or hang at the pool. Sounds like you may need a couple of wax bags if you keep the fp's.

I do too, and every time we go to Disney, I use TransDermal Scop patches. They go just behind your ear. Wear them for 3 days, then replace it. It is an antihistamine so it will dry you out, but it's worth it to me so I can ride Everest and the like. I get them by prescription from my doctor.

I was just at my doctor today and forgot to ask about those. Darn! She did say OTC stuff should help, which I've always taken anyway. I also have some outdated Zofran that I may bring too, just in case, LOL.

You can hit the shows. Make it a food vacation or hang at the pool. Sounds like you may need a couple of wax bags if you keep the fp's.

I'm thinking pool time with an adult beverage! What happens if I don't use the FPs? They just expire?

I suffer from motion sickness as well. I can second taking one to two Bonine pills per day. Those are lifesavers to me. I can ride everything, but Star Tours can be a problem if you take your eyes off the screen, otherwise it's fine. EE gets me because it goes backwards, but I can ride, I just breathe and walk it off after the ride.

I get motion sick and IMAX movies, 360 degree movies, motion simulators are my big problem. Winding roads in the back of a car used to be a problem, but I haven't noticed it in a long time. If your motion sickness is similar to mine, then all the actual moving rides are fine. The backward part of EE doesn't bother me, Big Thunder is not bad at all (outside, you can see where you're going, rattly but not terribly wild) Test Track is actually quite tame it just goes really fast (like a convertible on the highway) for a short bit.

In my case, the ones to avoid are Star Tours, Soarin, the Candada movie (seriously - or else I just have to stare at the floor most of the time), teacups :crazy2: no spinning!

I was just at my doctor today and forgot to ask about those. Darn! She did say OTC stuff should help, which I've always taken anyway. I also have some outdated Zofran that I may bring too, just in case, LOL.

I'm thinking pool time with an adult beverage! What happens if I don't use the FPs? They just expire?

Yes, if you don't use your FP it will just expire.

I was worried about Star Tours because I can be prone to motion sickness, but I had no problems with it. In fact, I loved it and rose it several times. For comparison 's sake, I rode Mission Space before the green side was introduced and it was all I could do not to be sick.

I also get motion sickness and was very worried about Mission Space. I did fine as I was completely focused on the screen in front of me. I glanced over at my daughter once and immediately regretted it, but did ok when I looked back at my own screen. I think what got me more was the closeness of the ride when the doors shut. My claustrophobia kicked in a little but the ride soon distracted me so no worries. I did get a little green after Star Tours. I was not expecting it to be as intense as it was. I was seated on an aisle on the very top row though and I think that affected me. Had I been closer to the screen and more toward the middle I probably would have been fine.

i suffer from major motion sickness ,,i get something prescribed for me but it doesn't help that much.

- Star Tours---will never go on
- Expedition Everest--- going backwards messes me up
- Big Thunder Mountain---i get through it
- Test Track---love it and no problems

Is there anything that works after you get motion sickness? Last year I got horrible sick from Space Mountain, I felt like I had a concussion. It was our first night there and it took about 3 days before I didn't feel like I was "floating" when I would walk. Nothing else bothered me, but for some reason SM killed me.

I get motion sick and IMAX movies, 360 degree movies, motion simulators are my big problem. Winding roads in the back of a car used to be a problem, but I haven't noticed it in a long time. If your motion sickness is similar to mine, then all the actual moving rides are fine. The backward part of EE doesn't bother me, Big Thunder is not bad at all (outside, you can see where you're going, rattly but not terribly wild) Test Track is actually quite tame it just goes really fast (like a convertible on the highway) for a short bit.

In my case, the ones to avoid are Star Tours, Soarin, the Candada movie (seriously - or else I just have to stare at the floor most of the time), teacups :crazy2: no spinning!

Of all of those, I've only ever done Soarin', which made me nervous but I made it through OK. It sounds like my motion sickness is a lot like yours, although I still have problems on winding roads. I don't even like WATCHING the teacups!

This trip is special because my family is treating me - it's a gift for being cancer-free after a two-year battle. I don't know when I'll get back because money is really tight, so I want to fit in as much as possible, and do things I've always been too chicken to try before (hence BTM and Test Track). I don't, however, want to fit in puking. Puking is bad.

Last edited:
I would definitely steer clear of Star Tours if I were you! I hadn't ridden in years knowing that it makes me sick but my DH wanted to check it out...big mistake! For this trip, I tried out ginger gum and it actually helped with some of that nausea from rides. It's a little pricy but lasted us all week!

Is there anything that works after you get motion sickness? Last year I got horrible sick from Space Mountain, I felt like I had a concussion. It was our first night there and it took about 3 days before I didn't feel like I was "floating" when I would walk. Nothing else bothered me, but for some reason SM killed me.

For me, I try to chew ginger gum and get lots of air. If it's too hot, cool air does the trick for me... the colder the better. I don't know why that helps, but it does. I also have saved all the Zofran I had left over during cancer treatment (an anti-emetic). I realize that's not an option for everyone since it's RX only, but gosh, that drug works wonders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter