I should’a taken that left in Albuquerque (Updated 8/16/13 Pg13)

Hey, sometimes your useless crap has some entertainment value to it... what can I say?

It does offer up opportunities to generally assail the author.
It has that goin’ for it.

Alright, this thing is about to get good!!!!:cool1:

Nevermind :sad2:

Shouldn’t have gotten your hopes up there. :lmao:

Looks like quite the happy couple. And I think you're right about her being a saint to put up with you,

Agreed. I’ll not even attempt to argue that one.

but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt as far as judgment goes.

She could certainly use some more benefits.

I'm sure you'll find a way. May not be easy, but good luck.

We will… it won’t… and, Thanks.
We don’t “need” to retire anyway.
What would we do with the time… go to Disney?

I don't know about the Queen City and the Gem City part, but I can't talk about Cincinnati and Dayton without thinking of Big Butter Jesus.

:rotfl2: you mean this fellow?

537670585_4e0785d8b4.jpg

We didn’t head south toward Cinci so we missed that landmark.
We also missed the lightning strike that did this to him…

6a00d834ca83d669e20133f11b29a8970b-800wi

But I understand that they’ve replaced him with even more butter…

solid-rock-jesus.jpg

Less artistic to be sure, but the name “Touchdown Jesus” doesn’t suit this one as well, so I’m pretty sure the congregation there is pleased with the change.

Yeah, but I think it is safe to say that most of your readers are in that geek category.

Masochistic might be more appropriate, but we’ll go with your explanation for now.

Hmmm... maybe you did make a detour to see Big Butter Jesus, Jr.

Coincidence…
Pure coincidence I assure you.
:rotfl:

Yep, staying dry is probably a better plan.

Probably so.
We’ll miss that stop on the way home too, but for different reasons.

Nothing wrong with expanding your horizons as a senior in HS and trying something new!:thumbsup2

Agreed. He wants to teach this stuff.
The more related experiences he has the better.

Is it just me, or is it hard to think of Dayton, Oh as the host for anything on that large of a scale? :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

We thought it unusual as well.
Just seems too much like a ready-made punch line, don’t it?
:rolleyes:

But oddly enough, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois are actually very strong areas for music and performance amongst high school kids. Long traditions of it around there (including, as you well know, the fact that Perdue University is one of the progenitors of modern college marching bands). The concept for this particular type of competition arose in the Dayton area (as a way to keep things going through the winter months… back when we had winter) and so it just grew up around there.

Other then the sixty-four schools competing in our classification, there were about forty independent groups (with kids of similar age but not affiliated with a single school), a large number of scholastic and independent groups completing in a more advanced class (larger groups, more complex presentations, more advanced playing abilities), and another group of scholastic and independent units that included folks up through the college level that did some really amazing things. The hotels through out the city were booked to capacity.

Are you referring to corn fields as "not much?" :mad:

Don’t take it so personally.
As the economic engines of the Midwest, they are quite “much”.
As something that catches the eye of the highway traveler…

They’re more of a blur.

Forgive us… we lack the expertise needed to notice the subtle differences.
Care to add a Bonus feature on the subject?
(and I’m actually serious about that one.)

I hope they'll be able to work well together instead of sabotaging each other.

A good point.
These kids, however, attend the “other” school in the next town down from us. Not being from the institution of learning that actually got named for the town, they’re as use to insults and upturned noses as we are, so both groups share a common background as outsiders and actually get along fairly well.

Their first performance was in the late afternoon. They did well, but were among the three-quarters of units that just didn’t get more then one shot at it this time around.

Well, I can't blame him for not following your advice. That usually would be the way to go.

Especially for teens and nemeses.
Both have much to learn.
:yoda:

Impressive... :thumbsup2

They impress us all the time. Getting into the semifinals was a great start to be sure. Getting to the finals however…
that’s a tall order. We’ll have to see how that goes.

Isn't that Don's thing??? :lmao::rotfl2:

Don don’t pick on me…
I won’t be pickin’ on him

No other commentary???
Y’all are letting me off way too easy ya’ know.

Are any of you even listening?

T4-006.jpg

Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Thank you, Simone.

No problem whatsoever.

Still nothing?

OK… you asked for it…
:rolleyes1:

Chapter 2: With Arms Wide Open

Part 2: Long Strange Trip

Some times you just get it into you head that you’re gonn’a do something. No particular reason is required for such, it just happens. And once that decision has wormed its way into the dead center of your pea-brain, there just ain’t any way of getting it out shy of acting on it. This is what happened on that Friday. I’d gotten some notion stuck in my head and it literally caused me to drive out of my way, just to make someone smile (oh, and I enjoyed the diversion as well, but that’s completely secondary to the point).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Has it really been twenty-one years?

On this trip our agenda was entirely driven by how things went for the kids. The better they did, the longer we’d be staying in Dayton. If, however, they didn’t make Semifinals, then we’d probably have gotten into to something else that Thursday evening. Friday would certainly have been wide open in that case as well. As it turned out (and as y’all are already aware), the kids did make it into the second round so we spent that day entirely within the lovely confines of the Dayton University Arena. Not a bad thing mind you, I mean… that’s the reason we were hear in the first place. But it still left open to possibility just what the agenda might be for the next day.

Would our young’ens make finals?

If not, would we want to head to some other exotic location?

If they did get to battle on, when would they perform again?

Would there be time for anything else in between now and then?

Nothing was certain except that we were going to be getting to bed fairly late Thursday. When Friday did show up we took a quick glance at the calendar and realized that there really was one other thing that was certain. It just happened to be our wedding anniversary; the twenty first one of those bad-boys to be exact. Since it was such a special occasion for us, I got it into my head that I ought to do something extraordinary for my lovely bride. I ought to take her somewhere she had always wanted to go, but probably might not normally get the opportunity. I wanted to take her here…

C02-202.jpg

The only problem with that was that this little attraction is located here…

C02-203.jpg

That’s Cleveland, and we were in Dayton…
but then again, while it’s true that Cleveland was better then 500 miles from our home (and somewhere we weren’t likely to travel to purposely), it was only about 200 miles from where I was currently standing. All at once the venture seemed doable to me.

If I do’d it, I get a whippin'…

OK so it was doable, but was it smart? Hummmmmm…, Ya’ know…
that don’t really matter. It would make my baby girl smile (and I’d enjoy the heck out of it as well).

I do’d it.

C02-205.jpg

Cleveland Rocks…

So a good bit of coffee, a couple of granola bars, a tank of gas and three-ish hours later, we were in Cleveland!

C02-206.jpg

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum is located smack on Cleveland’s Lake Erie waterfront right near where you’ll find Lakefront Stadium…

C02-207.jpg

Actually I’m showing my age here. They tore that old facility down back in 96 (after the team skedaddled down to Baltimore) and replaced it with this one here; soon to be known as “FirstEnergy Stadium” (as the naming right were just recently sold). We stowed the car in a parking garage shared between the stadium and the Great Lakes Science Center…

C02-208.jpg

Then made the short walk to the next odd looking building along the way…

C02-209.jpg

The “Jetsons” looking bit of it there on the left is that actual “Hall of Fame” part of the facility (I’ll explain that better in just a bit). Most of the rest of it…

C02-210.jpg

Is the great Entrance Hall. There are about six levels but being pyramid shaped the higher up you go the smaller the spaces are. The largest chunk of it is actually under ground in the lower level. As you can see from the banner there, they were featuring a retrospective on the “Grateful Dead” in one of their seasonal galleries at the time…

Admission to the whole thing is $22.00 bucks a person. I’ll tell you right now, that if it were much more then than, I ain’t so sure it’d be worth it. If it were just you hearts desire to see the thing, then maybe, but not for the casual visitor. But as it was…
44 Georgies wasn’t that bad for a proper anniversary present.

Once inside this was the first site to great us…

C02-212.jpg

This little flock of old East German Trabants (hummmmmm…) are part of the array of stage props form U2’s 1993 “Zooropa” and “Zoo TV” tours. Much of what’s located in the main entrance hall is “arena tour” related and there was various props scattered throughout the open space…

C02-213.jpg

C02-215.jpg

Here’s the explanation of that last one, and the next one for that matter…

C02-224.jpg

C02-214.jpg

The Nickel Tour

Now let me tell y’all one other thing about the RRHoF that caught us a might by surprise. The only place where you’re allowed to take photographs or video of any kind is in the entrance hall. Once you head on into the museum areas or any of the rotating galleries and theaters…

cameras are strictly verboten.

Really?

Yep… really, really.

Being as I was disallowed form taking any farther pictures to illustrate the journey, I went ahead and perused the official online site for the place and put together a few images and descriptions based on what they would allow me to share with you. So here are just a hand full of the thousands of bits and pieces that we encountered…

C02-216.jpg

C02-217.jpg

C02-218.jpg

As you might suspect, there were a lot of guitars

C02-219.jpg

Good for me (being a semi-professional guitar player), but there was also a great deal of the more ephemeral artifacts from clothing to surprisingly interesting bits of paper…

C02-220.jpg

Actually, some of those “bit’s of paper” made for very interesting viewing. Things like:

The recording logs form Sun Studios in the early 50’s,

Orrrrrr…

a hastily scrawled set list used by the Beatles during the 1965 Shea Stadium performance (that had just been abandoned on stage and was retrieved from the rubbish by a security guard for the young girl that happened to ask for it)

Orrrrrr…

a letter from Elvis Presley to Richard Nixon volunteering his services to aid the FBI or any other type of law enforcement activities he could assist with (one of my favs for the sheer oddity of it).

There were entire sections devoted to stylistic genera and time periods, specific performers and groups, producers and promoters, engineers, innovators, inventers; you name it. Being a guitar player, one of the more interesting galleries to me was devote to a gent named Les Paul. A ground breaking player and designer; he devised the concepts of multi-track recording, electronic echo effects and pioneered much of the mechanics and design behind electric guitars. Here’s an early example of his ability to “Frankenstein” something that we only thought we already knew about…

C02-221.jpg

But in all of this discussion of things and stuff, we really haven’t discussed the people that much. The folks that have thus far been inductees are enshrined in a different part of the building.

C02-222.jpg

That entrance over there leads into the actual Hall of Fame. Inside you’ll encounter a spiraling walkway that leads around a couple of theaters showing inductee retrospective films and previous induction ceremonies. There are also several display cases with bric-à-brac representing those most recently add to the roster. But the actual “Hall” is just that… a hall. That spiral walkway I was talking about is covered in glass tiles that are etched with the signatures of each individual member or group of members (depending on the reason for induction).

C02-223.jpg

Given the somewhat fluid nature of how individuals are brought into the group, some folks show up on that wall a couple of times (say, once as a solo artist and once as part of a group). But of all the folks currently included, only one of ‘em can be found on the wall three times (and it happens to be one on the names from that last image).

That would be the guy on the left here…

Oh yah, the fell’a on the right…
He’s in there too. Ought to be listed ten times over, but the rules just don’t make that likely.

Not a problem…
We all know better.

Next up: I’ll be missing another one of those lefts…

But I’m ok with that.

They're going to cut our internet out sometime in the next hour and I don't want to get started on a reply only to get booted before I post it... just remind me to get back over here to take some jabs at you. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

Perdue University
They sell chicken... I think you mean Purdue. :rolleyes1

Forgive us… we lack the expertise needed to notice the subtle differences.
Care to add a Bonus feature on the subject?
(and I’m actually serious about that one.)
You aren't very bright are you?

Should I talk about yellow corn, white corn, sweet corn, waxy corn and pop corn?

Non-GMO corn, BT corn, Round up ready corn and RiB corn?

Maybe all the products it goes into... corn chips, corn dogs, popcorn, corn flakes, tortillas, corn syrup and just about any sugary drink in a can, the ethanol blended into your gas, the feed that put that steak, bacon and chicken on the table, and of course corn on the cob.

Eh... maybe one of these days if I've got nothing better to do...

So, now that you're on a rock n roll theme, does it refer to the Creed song this time??? :confused3 :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

I’d gotten some notion stuck in my head and it literally caused me to drive out of my way, just to make someone smile (oh, and I enjoyed the diversion as well, but that’s completely secondary to the point).
I really would be interested to hear her side of it... who was really more interested in seeing it??? :rolleyes1

but then again, while it’s true that Cleveland was better then 500 miles from our home (and somewhere we weren’t likely to travel to purposely), it was only about 200 miles from where I was currently standing. All at once the venture seemed doable to me.
Wow... all the way from SC to Dayton and you're still only a little more than half way there???

It has never stopped you yet... :rolleyes1

Is the great Entrance Hall. There are about six levels but being pyramid shaped the higher up you go the smaller the spaces are.
Kind of makes you think of the Imagination Pavilion from the outside pictures...

No, we don't have Disney on the brain... :rolleyes1

Admission to the whole thing is $22.00 bucks a person. I’ll tell you right now, that if it were much more then than, I ain’t so sure it’d be worth it.
What an endorsement!!! :thumbsup2 :rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:

Now let me tell y’all one other thing about the RRHoF that caught us a might by surprise. The only place where you’re allowed to take photographs or video of any kind is in the entrance hall. Once you head on into the museum areas or any of the rotating galleries and theaters…
What???? Wow, that's kind of odd. Did they give a reason? :confused3

As you might suspect, there were a lot of guitars
Really? Never would have guessed. :rolleyes1

a letter from Elvis Presley to Richard Nixon volunteering his services to aid the FBI or any other type of law enforcement activities he could assist with (one of my favs for the sheer oddity of it).
I think the reply could be more interesting than the letter itself... :rotfl::lmao:

Being a guitar player, one of the more interesting galleries to me was devote to a gent named Les Paul.
I think I've heard of him. Isn't that the guy Joe Perry talks about in the recording studio at G-Force Records? :rolleyes1

Once again... Disney on the brain...

Some times you just get it into you head that you’re gonn’a do something. No particular reason is required for such, it just happens. And once that decision has wormed its way into the dead center of your pea-brain, there just ain’t any way of getting it out shy of acting on it.

And you decide, yes, I'm gonna stick my tongue to that flagpole! :woohoo:

Has it really been twenty-one years?

Only your hairdresser knows for sure.

It just happened to be our wedding anniversary; the twenty first one of those bad-boys to be exact. Since it was such a special occasion for us, I got it into my head that I ought to do something extraordinary for my lovely bride. I ought to take her somewhere she had always wanted to go, but probably might not normally get the opportunity. I wanted to take her here…

C02-202.jpg

Wow! The Louvre! That's really setting the bar high, but Paris is supposed to be the city of romance. You'll definitely sweep her off her feet.

The only problem with that was that this little attraction is located here…

Oh. Cleveland. Well, I'm sure it's right up there with Paris.

Cleveland was better then 500 miles from our home (and somewhere we weren’t likely to travel to purposely), it was only about 200 miles from where I was currently standing. All at once the venture seemed doable to me.[/QUOET]

Do it! Do it! True love makes you go a little crazy sometimes.

Why does that matter?:confused3

I do’d it.

:cool1:

The “Jetsons” looking bit of it there on the left is that actual “Hall of Fame” part of the facility (I’ll explain that better in just a bit). Most of the rest of it…

Well, it certainly is...unique.

Admission to the whole thing is $22.00 bucks a person. I’ll tell you right now, that if it were much more then than, I ain’t so sure it’d be worth it.

The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame: we've almost priced ourselves out of the market! :thumbsup2

This little flock of old East German Trabants (hummmmmm…) are part of the array of stage props form U2’s 1993 “Zooropa” and “Zoo TV” tours.

Hmm. Not my favorite U2 period.

Much of what’s located in the main entrance hall is “arena tour” related and there was various props scattered throughout the open space…

C02-213.jpg

Some of this looks like it would give you nightmares!:scared:

cameras are strictly verboten.

That's annoying. The International Spy Museum in D.C. has that policy too, and it drives me nuts because there's some really cool stuff in there. If I'm paying this much money to get in here, I should have to buy pictures in the gift shop to remember it. Sigh.

So THAT'S where he's been!

I will go ahead and admit my relative musical illiteracy compared to my movie knowledge. So most of this stuff goes over my head. However, the important question is--was the bride happy?:confused3

They're going to cut our internet out sometime in the next hour and I don't want to get started on a reply only to get booted before I post it... just remind me to get back over here to take some jabs at you. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

Yo! Andy!!!
Get your rump back over here and take some jabs at me!

Pup…

They sell chicken... I think you mean Purdue. :rolleyes1

That’s better.
See I even set you up and everything.

I’ll apologize for that one though. I didn’t mean to imply that your alma mater was a heartless multibillion-dollar business known for abusing its illegal workforce and selling water engorged inferior industrial poultry. That would be quite the slight if I’d have meant it.

But then again… At least I was one of the few to actually defend the institution when the suggestion was made that it be referred to as “Pur-Don’t”. I believe that one actually forced a change in allegiance from neutrality to sworn opposition.

You aren't very bright are you?

“Sticks and stones love…”

You can’t possibly insult my intelligence (or lack there of) even half as much I do trash myself on a daily bases.

Should I talk about yellow corn, white corn, sweet corn, waxy corn and pop corn?

Non-GMO corn, BT corn, Round up ready corn and RiB corn?

Maybe all the products it goes into... corn chips, corn dogs, popcorn, corn flakes, tortillas, corn syrup and just about any sugary drink in a can, the ethanol blended into your gas, the feed that put that steak, bacon and chicken on the table, and of course corn on the cob.

Perfect!
That’s exactly what I’m looking for in a Bonus Feature.
Interesting details behind things most folks take for granted.
When can I expect the grand treatise?

Eh... maybe one of these days if I've got nothing better to do...

Dang!
That’s about what I figured though.
I offer up a soapbox, and you won’t even take up the banner.
:sad2:

So, now that you're on a rock n roll theme, does it refer to the Creed song this time??? :confused3 :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:
hahanosmiley-1.gif

I really would be interested to hear her side of it... who was really more interested in seeing it??? :rolleyes1

She was.
Here you tell him babe…

“Yah it was me.”

See…

I did want to go as well, but…
my inseparable relationship with music is the actual music; the listening and more so the creating. The things and stuff of celebrities… that’s not so important to me unless it has a true historical implication about it.

Garments worn by such-n-such a vocalist during this-or-that stage appearance…
Ehhh…

The actual first homemade four-track recording device…
That’s more like it.

The bulk of what’s in the HoF is closer to the first one then the second, which makes it more of a draw to the “Entertainment Tonight” folks and less of one to the propeller-heads and working players.

I’d still recommend that everyone check it out for themselves as there is much to see, but everyone will be drawn to rather different aspects of the collection.

Wow... all the way from SC to Dayton and you're still only a little more than half way there???

Yep. It’s virtually a straight line up I-77 from my house to Cleveland. Dayton on the other hand… once I got half way up, then you have to head about the same distance out to the west.

It has never stopped you yet... :rolleyes1

You are correct sir.
And that’s fairly rare so we should all take a moment to be impressed by this miraculous event…

OK, that’s long enough.
Next comment?

Kind of makes you think of the Imagination Pavilion from the outside pictures...

No, we don't have Disney on the brain... :rolleyes1

Yah we do. :thumbsup2

What an endorsement!!! :thumbsup2 :rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:

A might harsh possibly.

I really explained that one just a bit ago.
The folks into memorabilia will find the place mesmerizing and a bargain to boot.
But for me, $22 per was about right and I’d be reconsidering much more.

What???? Wow, that's kind of odd. Did they give a reason? :confused3

Sort’a…
A good percentage of the artifacts are on loan from various private collections and estates. Often the contracts for displaying the items include language that allows the owner to maintain control and copyright of any images of said item. Since it’s tough to segregate these pieces from the rest of the collection, everyone looses.

Really? Never would have guessed. :rolleyes1

Now who’s not really bright?

I think the reply could be more interesting than the letter itself... :rotfl::lmao:

It was…
The reply was an invitation to meet Nixon in the oval office, the presentation of a custom made honorary FBI Agent’s badge (which is in the same display case) and a subtle: “Thanks for the offer, we’ll get back to you on that real soon”.

“Zed… I could be agent ‘M’”

“Aaaaa… you’re breaking up… I can’t hear you”

I think I've heard of him. Isn't that the guy Joe Perry talks about in the recording studio at G-Force Records? :rolleyes1

Once again... Disney on the brain...

Close…
Joe was speaking of a guitar (that is named in honor of the particular musician and innovator in question), but having Disney on the brain is a prerequisite for even being on these boards in the first place, so we can go with that.

And you decide, yes, I'm gonna stick my tongue to that flagpole! :woohoo:

Dang straight…
And it didn’t even take a triple-dog-dare.

Only your hairdresser knows for sure.

Whoa…
I actually remember those retched commercials.
Go lord, I’m old. :crazy2:

Wow! The Louvre! That's really setting the bar high, but Paris is supposed to be the city of romance. You'll definitely sweep her off her feet.

Wrong glass pyramid.

Good thought though…
Care to lone me the funds?

Oh. Cleveland. Well, I'm sure it's right up there with Paris.

But there was something worth seeing.

Really!

Do it! Do it! True love makes you go a little crazy sometimes.

Yes it does.

It can also save your life.
(I can prove that one)

Why does that matter?:confused3

Once the thought occurred…
I immediately realized the pointlessness of the question.

Well, it certainly is...unique.

Yah, the whole building is rather unique.
Sometimes architects are “unique” just for the sake of being unique.

Similar to some film directors I can think of…

The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame: we've almost priced ourselves out of the market! :thumbsup2

Missed it by that much…

Having seen it, I’ll recommend that they stay in the twenty-buck range.
But there are plenty of folks that will see it as under priced.

Hmm. Not my favorite U2 period.

Not really mine either, but suspended as they are those old two-strokers make for an interesting visual.

Some of this looks like it would give you nightmares!:scared:

The bulk of the props in that picture came from the Pink Floyd arena show for “The Wall”.
Nightmare is precisely what they had in mind at the time.

That's annoying. The International Spy Museum in D.C. has that policy too, and it drives me nuts because there's some really cool stuff in there. If I'm paying this much money to get in here, I should have to buy pictures in the gift shop to remember it. Sigh.

Yep… they ticked me off at “Spy” for the same reason when we went there awhile back.
I bet it’s for a similar reason.

But that was a really cool museum that I’ll very likely pay to see again…
and then complain that I cant take pictures again. Hummmm…
maybe we should use a spy-cam. That would be rather appropriate, don’t you think?

So THAT'S where he's been!

He just went home…

I will go ahead and admit my relative musical illiteracy compared to my movie knowledge. So most of this stuff goes over my head. However, the important question is--was the bride happy?:confused3

It’s not every ones cup-o-tea. But if you happen to be in Cleveland…

As for making my Lovely happy…
Mission accomplished.

And I may have had just a little bit of fun myself
I mean, it was and adventure.

What more do I really need?

I am not ignoring your update. We were busy all weekend and then I came down with the stomach flu on Monday and just went back to work today. I had no energy to DIS or anything. I hope to catch up tomorrow.

I am not ignoring your update. We were busy all weekend and then I came down with the stomach flu on Monday and just went back to work today. I had no energy to DIS or anything. I hope to catch up tomorrow.

I’d heard that. You take care of yourself first and then you can come back over here and give me a hard time later on. Mark and Andy are making sure I don’t get away with much, so you got time yet.

:thumbsup2

Yes it does.

It can also save your life.
(I can prove that one)

My spidey-sense is tingling. I bet there's a story here.

Yah, the whole building is rather unique.
Sometimes architects are “unique” just for the sake of being unique.

One of our office jokes is that an architect is just an engineer with his brains blown out. :rotfl2:

Similar to some film directors I can think of…

*coughTimBurtoncough*

Yep… they ticked me off at “Spy” for the same reason when we went there awhile back.
I bet it’s for a similar reason.

But that was a really cool museum that I’ll very likely pay to see again…
and then complain that I cant take pictures again. Hummmm…
maybe we should use a spy-cam. That would be rather appropriate, don’t you think?

::yes:: I haven't gotten good enough at palming the camera-phone to be able to pull it off. But it doesn't seem fair that they have a James Bond Aston-Martin there and you can't pose by it. :sad1:

As for making my Lovely happy…
Mission accomplished.

And I may have had just a little bit of fun myself
I mean, it was and adventure.

What more do I really need?

:thumbsup2

Perfect!
That’s exactly what I’m looking for in a Bonus Feature.
Interesting details behind things most folks take for granted.
When can I expect the grand treatise?

Dang!
That’s about what I figured though.
I offer up a soapbox, and you won’t even take up the banner.
Ok here's a little bit for you...

Yellow Corn:
yellow_corn.jpg

The most common stuff and can be used for pretty much anything corn goes into but primarily animal feed, ethanol and whiskey, and exports. We grow yellow corn which is what the elevator I work at deals with. The corn here is mostly shipped to a plant in Loudon, TN to be turned into sweetener.

White Corn:
hickorykingwhitedent.jpg

Basically the same stuff as yellow corn, only less pigment. Used for the corn foods you buy that lack that yellow color... tortillas, chips, cereals, etc.

We used to grow white corn for a long time. It is a more valuable product, but requires extra care in handling the grain as it has tighter quality controls. Also the buyer we sold to only took white corn 1 day a week and loads had to be scheduled. Between the extra work it took to care for and sell the stuff and the yield drag on white corn vs. yellow corn, we stopped raising it because the whole "value added" product thing just wasn't penciling out.

Waxy Corn:
Yellow-Waxy-Corn-Pic.jpg

Pretty much the same thing as yellow corn, but specifically bred for starch content. There's a lot of it grown around here, and it would take too long to explain, so if you actually want more info, this is pretty good. Similar to White Corn in the sense that it is a more valuable product, but tends to have a lower yield and more quality and disease issues in the plant.

Pop Corn:
20-things-you-didnt-know-about-popcorn-1.jpg

This stuff is also grown quite a bit around here. Dad actually grew a lot of it when I was little. Again, like the white corn, it got to the point that it didn't seem quite as feasible to grow it with a decreasing premium as the requirements got tighter.

And since you want to be like Barry and take shots at Purdue, let me just point out a well known alum...
orville-redenbacher1.jpg

Sweet Corn:
corn.jpeg

This one is my personal favorite. We don't commercially market much of it, but we plant a few acres for a non-profit organization that sells it each summer and we do raise a few acres just for our personal use... and sell a few dozen ears here and there if requested.

By the way, home grown sweet corn that is bagged and frozen is way better than anything you'll ever buy in a store or get at a restaurant.

Now, some people apparently don't realize that sweet corn and yellow corn in the field are completely different. I've caught people stopping at corn fields to go pull ears of corn about the time of year sweet corn is in season. I could make a big deal out of the fact that it is trespassing or theft, but I know when they get home, cook that corn and bite into it... well, I just have to smile.:lmao::rotfl2:

There are other types of corn, but that's the main stuff you'd see in the eastern cornbelt in the US.

You might have seen some seedbed preparation going on back in April, unless of course that rain you were driving rhough was so widespread it stopped that work.

5739533425_9484f6e1e3.jpg

And as for the GMO (Genetically Modified Organism), non GMO, etc, etc... well, I don't want to start that argument here. I have no problem with GMO products. It is technology and it has come by leaps and bounds. Research has gone into it and it is perfectly safe. In fact, I took a course in college that dealt with GMO's and looked at the biotechnology side of them, the safety side of them and the social aspect of them. It was a very interesting class and one that I paid attention to and got a lot out of... and actually paying attention was a real challenge in that class. I sat next to one of Playboy's Girls of the Big Ten. :eek: :rolleyes1

Everything we grow on our farm has had GMO traits for several years now. Even in this year's drought, we managed to get 80 bushels/acre on our corn, which is half of average. It is the worst corn crop we've ever had, but it was the worst drought since the dust bowl. If it wasn't for the technology that has gone into coming up with better seed hybrids and new traits over the past 10 - 12 years, we would have been lucky to even have half of the 80 bushels we had with as little rain and as much heat as we saw. Corn just doesn't do those 2 natural phenomena very well, especially both at once.

This isn't relevant to corn, but it is my rant about what I don't like about GMO's and Monsanto. Monsanto knows how to make money. Forget the Trillion Dollar coin, I think they can mint the stuff on their own. Round up Ready soybeans have been out since the early 90s, and in order to plant beans with that trait, you pay a technology fee on each bag of seed that goes to Monsanto. You can't save beans to replant, and Monsanto has been known to do spot checks to make sure you don't. If caught replanting seed, hefty fines follow.

Over the past few years, they've been releasing Round Up Ready 2 Yield beans which are supposed to be more productive than the gen 1 Round Up Ready soybeans. Let me just say that we have grown a Round Up 1 bean (3888) next to a Round Up 2 bean (3800) for 3 years in a row. Both are group 3.8 beans which means they have the same maturity (and they are supposedly the same base genetics). The experience on our farm has been that the "old obsolete" stuff has consistently outperformed the "new improved" stuff that costs about $5 to $10 per acre more to plant.

Well as it turns out, the patent that Monsanto has on those old beans is up after this growing season meaning you would be able keep seed to replant without having that technology fee or the threat of fines hanging over you. We went to order seed this year and those old reliable 3888 beans that we know and love (and would probably keep some to plant again next year) are no longer on the market. You flat out can't get them. They're selling Round Up Ready 2 beans only. Yeah... they know what they're doing. :rolleyes1

And on another side story, when we ordered our seed, we have been so disappointed with their 3800's that we didn't order a single bag of them for 2013. We were stuck ordering Round Up 2 beans, but we ordered all new numbers since we weren't happy with the ones we had experience with. Well, as it turns out, the semi delivered our seed last week and as my uncle was unloading the truck, he started looking at the seed boxes. Everything he unloaded had a sticker on it with the number 3800. He put them all back on the truck and told them they either fix the order right away or we'd buy our beans from somebody else. Another truck came rolling in about 2 hours later. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Close…
Joe was speaking of a guitar (that is named in honor of the particular musician and innovator in question), but having Disney on the brain is a prerequisite for even being on these boards in the first place, so we can go with that.
Apparently my sarcasm didn't translate. Otherwise it would appear that Joe Perry made a racist comment in that little scene. :rolleyes1

Why do I feel like I just walked into the sequel to Forrest Gump?

Yellow corn, white corn, waxy corn, pop corn, corn fritters, corn tortillas, corn dogs...:rotfl2:

Great! Somebody figured out the reference... I think it might have been over Rob's head. :duck:

My spidey-sense is tingling. I bet there's a story here.

It really ain’t all that epic. Long story short…

When another person chooses to care about you…
Unconditionally…
And for absolutely no good reason…
It will have a very strong impact on your world.
It will likely even convince you to remain in that world.

We’ve already admitted that nearly all the guys around here married up.
But I married farther up then I could possibly have ever climbed on my own.

Facts are facts.

One of our office jokes is that an architect is just an engineer with his brains blown out. :rotfl2:

:lmao: :lmao:

*coughTimBurtoncough*

That’s one…
And you need to get that cough looked at.

Then there’s the ones that are graphic just for the sake of being graphic…
*CoughTarantinoCough*

Excuse me there… I may need to get my cough looked at as well.

::yes:: I haven't gotten good enough at palming the camera-phone to be able to pull it off. But it doesn't seem fair that they have a James Bond Aston-Martin there and you can't pose by it. :sad1:

That needs to happen.
Soon.

Ok here's a little bit for you...

Excellent work, this is young padawan…
Improving, your skills are.

We’ll be adding that post to the Page-1 Bonus Feature List.

And since you want to be like Barry and take shots at Purdue…

So prickly…
Go back and read it again

“But then again… At least I was one of the few to actually defend the institution when the suggestion was made that it be referred to as “Pur-Don’t”. I believe that one actually forced a change in allegiance from neutrality to sworn opposition.”

I’m your ally on that issue (if you discount the spell-check error).
It’s the in-state folks and a particular Badger fan that started that fight.

Apparently my sarcasm didn't translate. Otherwise it would appear that Joe Perry made a racist comment in that little scene. :rolleyes1

Had to think about that for a moment.
I never paid any attention to the color of the guitar that he told the roadee the grab.
It’s an unimportant detail to those of us who can’t afford a Gibson Les Paul in the first place, so I never paid it any mind.

Sarcasm works better when the reference is clear ya’ know.
Like your subtle jab at my intelligence level when you mimicked Bubba Blue back up there in your excellent little bonuses feature; rattling off the types of corn in an implied monotone.
Nicely done.

Why do I feel like I just walked into the sequel to Forrest Gump?

Yellow corn, white corn, waxy corn, pop corn, corn fritters, corn tortillas, corn dogs...:rotfl2:

ForrestListeningToBubba2.jpg

cream corn, corn casserole, corn soup, corn pone…
That… that's about it.

Great! Somebody figured out the reference... I think it might have been over Rob's head. :duck:

Had you kept your mouth shut you might have been able to test that theory.
:rolleyes1:

You’d have been disappointed, but you’d have known for certain.

Part 3: The Opportune Moment

As Jack would remind us… ummmm, excuse me, as Captain Jack Sparrow would remind us, timing is everything. Comedy for instance would be vastly diminished were it not for timing. The better part of the quotes in that video up there are dependent on it. There’d be far less laughter if it weren’t for the innate ability of storytellers to know when to take a breath, when to speak aside, when to shout or even just when to shut the heck up…

C02-302.jpg

You get the point.

Oh sure, there’d still be slapstick, I mean who doesn’t enjoy watching people other then ourselves suffer grievous injury. It’s very human (possibly somewhat disturbing, but still… human). Even so, the great physical comedians have also been masters of timing. Otherwise the pratfalls wouldn’t occur in just the right spot within the narrative. The problem here it that sometimes, that timing…

that ability to seize something while it’s most available…

or (to continually torture an already tortured phrase) to strike while the iron is hot …

may be impeded by something as simple as a prior engagement, a scheduling error, or that apparent attraction’s relative level of importance at the time. Of course, this really means that the opportune moment was never at hand to begin with. It only appeared to be beckoning to you; like a moment when you could have done the right thing but you just passed on by. Sadly (and sometimes just as well), those things will have to wait for another day.

Not Gonn’a Happen…

We’d spent a good two or three hours roaming around the RRHoH and even did the Disney thing and exited through the gift shop. Once back outside I noticed something I hadn’t noticed before.

C02-303.jpg

The flags were at half-mast. I looked around the area and noticed several other sites proudly flying our fine national standard and the swallow tale pennant that represents our hosts, but none of them were displayed in a state of mourning. It was only later that we discovered the reasoning for this. The HoF honors it members upon their passing in this manner and Dick Clark had passed away a couple of days before. I remembered hearing about it, but didn’t put it together until later.

Anyway, that picture also illustrates that there was one more exhibit on site that day. A bus.

(Not another bus…)

This was an old tour bus…

C02-304.jpg

…specifically one belonging to the estate of Jonny Cash. They were offering small group tours of the interior, which might have been an interesting little diversion. Problem was, they’d just taken a break for lunch and wouldn’t start back up for a couple of hours. Well… we weren’t in the mood to wait quite that long to see the inside of a bus; just not a very opportune time for it. However, if you’re interested, here’s what they thought you ought to know about it…

C02-305.jpg

The next thing I noticed (well I knew it was there because I don’t “generally” miss such things) was a ship.

C02-306.jpg

Really!!
You found a way to work a ship into this side trip?

Yes I did. Like I said, I knew that one was there, but again the timing was going to be off (I’ll get back to that in a minute). So just what is that fairly odd-looking vessel? Well, by name, it’s the
SS William G. Mather
. By purpose, it a retired Great Lakes bulk freighter and now, a museum ship. There are a good number of military vessels that are maintained for the public, but the work-a-day ships that make it possible for you to have easy access to everything from cereal to Cadillacs, those are harder to come by. And this one is very well restored and maintained according to me research. As such I was interested in getting aboard. Problem was, the ship is only open seasonally from late May through early October. This was April 20th. Not happenin’.

And I’m pretty sure that y’all are breathing a sigh of relief right about here aren’t ya’? Not to worry, I’ll punish you with several more ships latter on if this morass… that’s a promise (or maybe a threat).

In truth, I wasn’t all that disappointed here. Getting on board that one would just have been a bonus. However, there was another little boat less then a thousand yards east of where Johnny’s bus was parked over there that I’m quite disappointed about not experiencing. This one…

USS Cod (SS-224)

A WW-II vintage Submarine that is still configured as originally built (the only one configured as such and in amazing condition). So why did I miss this opportunity?

Because I didn’t know about it. :headache:

I screwed up… royally. I knew that the SS Mather was in Cleveland, because it’s an oddity as museum ships go and for that reason the fact stuck in my mind. Had I taken a little bit more time to research this day’s spur of the moment destination though, I’d have tried very hard to see this other ship. I’ll warn those (few) of you that may now be interested in this attraction though, it’s in very original condition; meaning that no one has cut easy access doorways into the hull or added stairwells between decks. If you want to see this sub, you’ve got to climb the ladders and negotiate the hatches.

Come to think of it… Tamara probably would have been none too pleased with that last fact.

It’s probably best that I missed that opportunity.

The Finals

Well that’s all we’re going to see of Cleveland on this trip, but it was only early afternoon. We had time to get into other things if it suited us. We headed straight up 9th street to get back to the interstates which all meat up right where the other stadium in town sits.

C02-308.jpg

That would be “The Jake” (financially referred to as: “Progressive Field”, but that’s just lame). At this point we had the opportunity to make a left that would have taken us south on I-77; toward home if we so chose, but more importantly toward Canton. Only about an hour’s drive and we’d be at a very different Hall of Fame.

IMG_9184.jpg

But…

And y’all knew that this was coming…

…but, the opportune moment for that diversion was not upon us. However, I can direct you over to someone else’s most excellent TR experience of this said same venue who actually managed to arrive at
this hallowed destination

We, however, needed to make another right turn onto I-90 and start back toward the southwest. There was somewhere else we needed to be, and (given the distance) a limited amount of time left over to get there. We refilled the gas tank and just grabbed some fast food along the way (nothing to report…). Then it was back on the road.

I-90… I-71… I-270… I-70…

Miles of highway sameness broken up by only one really intriguing sight. This one…

C02-310.jpg

My word I do believe that’s a little pink house…

Headed toward Indiana!

C02-311.jpg

Yep… it is a little pink house. Now we know where they come form.
They’re shipped into Indiana form central Ohio.

Mystery solved.

Back to the driving…

I-70… I-75… and then… and then…

C02-312.jpg

What a minute!
That’s where this foolishness started off yesterday!

Yes it is.

If you remember, I said that our kids had made it to the semifinal round, but I neglected to relate precisely how that second run was received. Question now answered; they made it into the finals! First time on a national level and they were going to get a third shot at the judges.

C02-313.jpg

Since the final round for our classification was not scheduled to start until around 6pm, and their assigned time slot wasn’t until close to 7:00, we figured that we had just enough time to make it to the RnR-HoH, look around and get back with only a little time to spare. As it turns out, I timed it spot on. We had just enough time to park, get in the building, grab a hotdog and find a seat before the first group of twelve started their performance. An hour later, our young’ens took the floor…

C02-314.jpg

got set…

C02-315.jpg

and were ready for the first downbeat…

C02-316.jpg

How’d they do… well as a parent I know that the performance was flawless (not to mention that “Amazing Grace” almost always yanks tears out of the corner of my eyes… it just does that). Judges however, are less partial, so a unanimous declaration wasn’t likely just yet. We’d have to let the rest of the units perform as well (go figure). Then the next class had to have time to run through their round of finals as well, so it was fairly late when the folks in charge of this shindig finally cleared the floor and started to set up for the awards…

C02-317.jpg

Just a bit latter, the brought down the house lights, hit the color spots, and pumped up the music…

C02-318.jpg

And then reintroduced and marched each finalist group down the stairs and back in to the arena floor one at a time…

C02-319.jpg

Before long the entire floor was filled. The twelve schools in our classification were lined up in performance order on the left side…

C02-320.jpg

You can see our kids smack in the middle there; sixth group from the right. And as the scores were announced and the placements made known…

That’s right where they’d finish. Sixth place… in the nation… not to shabby. The kids that won it all did so in a bit of upset. The group third from the right just made dang few mistakes and catapulted themselves over top of the next two that were ahead of them in the Semis. So now what? Well, it’s time to party…

C02-321.jpg

Pandemonium ensued as everyone broke ranks and the crowed expanded the ciaos by pouring onto the floor in search of their loved ones. Great work all around from each and every young’en there and an exciting finish to a very full and adventurous day for us.

The grand prize of the day?

Our son actually consented to having a picture taken…
With his momma!

C02-322.jpg

Not the best shot from a lighting or quality perspective, but that right there is a picture of two very happy people.

And that… makes me very happy.

Next up: Time to head it back home…

but not… just… yet…

As Jack would remind us…
Jack Daniel???

ummmm, excuse me, as Captain Jack Sparrow would remind us
Oh, that Jack.

Oh sure, there’d still be slapstick, I mean who doesn’t enjoy watching people other then ourselves suffer grievous injury.
America's Funniest Home Videos would be nothing if it weren't for shots to the groin.

Well… we weren’t in the mood to wait quite that long to see the inside of a bus; just not a very opportune time for it.
Would have been very cool to see, but definitely not worth the wait.

The next thing I noticed (well I knew it was there because I don’t “generally” miss such things) was a ship.
You could probably find a ship in the middle of a desert.

:scared1::faint:

If you want to see this sub, you’ve got to climb the ladders and negotiate the hatches.

Come to think of it… Tamara probably would have been none too pleased with that last fact.
Good point. Would have been very cool to see one in that original condition though.

Headed toward Indiana!
Seymour bound! :thumbsup2 :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Yep… it is a little pink house. Now we know where they come form.
They’re shipped into Indiana form central Ohio.
Built by the Amish, I assume. :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

If you remember, I said that our kids had made it to the semifinal round, but I neglected to relate precisely how that second run was received. Question now answered; they made it into the finals! First time on a national level and they were going to get a third shot at the judges.
:cool1::banana::woohoo:

As it turns out, I timed it spot on. We had just enough time to park, get in the building, grab a hotdog and find a seat before the first group of twelve started their performance. An hour later, our young’ens took the floor…
Perfect timing! :thumbsup2

Good thing you didn't wait around to see that tour bus.

Sixth place… in the nation… not to shabby.
Not at all. Way to set the bar high the first time in the national spotlight.

The grand prize of the day?

With his momma!

C02-322.jpg

Not the best shot from a lighting or quality perspective, but that right there is a picture of two very happy people.

And that… makes me very happy.
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I have so many TR's to catch up on, that I am not multi-quoting any of them so that I can get caught up on each and every one. I thoroughly enjoyed your updates (love the photos you insert of movies, etc.).

Congratulations to your son and his classmates. That is an awesome job for their first ever National competition.

And I love the pic of him and his momma. :goodvibes

There’d be far less laughter if it weren’t for the innate ability of storytellers to know when to take a breath, when to speak aside, when to shout or even just when to shut the heck up…

Timing, and a liberal dash of the unexpected.:thumbsup2

SQUIRREL! :squirrel:

Anyway, that picture also illustrates that there was one more exhibit on site that day. A bus.

(Not another bus…)

This was an old tour bus…

The Madden Cruiser? :cool1:

…specifically one belonging to the estate of Jonny Cash.

Oh. You can probably guess which one I'd be interested in.

Really!!
You found a way to work a ship into this side trip?
[/QUOET]

I will see Andy's :scared1::faint:

And raise you a :scared1::eek::faint:

through early October. This was April 20th. Not happenin’.

However, there was another little boat less then a thousand yards east of where Johnny’s bus was parked over there that I’m quite disappointed about not experiencing. This one…

USS Cod (SS-224)

A WW-II vintage Submarine that is still configured as originally built (the only one configured as such and in amazing condition). So why did I miss this opportunity?

doh.jpg

If you want to see this sub, you’ve got to climb the ladders and negotiate the hatches.

Sounds fun!

At this point we had the opportunity to make a left that would have taken us south on I-77; toward home if we so chose, but more importantly toward Canton. Only about an hour’s drive and we’d be at a very different Hall of Fame.

Hmmm...I've heard of it.

However, I can direct you over to someone else’s most excellent TR experience of this said same venue who actually managed to arrive at
this hallowed destination

:cool1::woohoo:

Thank you, kind sir.

Headed toward Indiana!

You know, I do believe I heard Andy mention something about doing a little re-modeling.

Or it could have been Brian (middlepat)'s new place--maybe Illinois was the ultimate destination.:stir:

Since the final round for our classification was not scheduled to start until around 6pm, and their assigned time slot wasn’t until close to 7:00, we figured that we had just enough time to make it to the RnR-HoH, look around and get back with only a little time to spare. As it turns out, I timed it spot on.

As you said, timing is everything.

Judges however, are less partial

Not if you grease the right palms...:rolleyes1

That’s right where they’d finish. Sixth place… in the nation… not to shabby.

On the whole, quite the achievement.:thumbsup2

With his momma!

C02-322.jpg

Nice one. That's a keeper.

America's Funniest Home Videos would be nothing if it weren't for shots to the groin.

Comedy has its standards to live up to.

Would have been very cool to see, but definitely not worth the wait.
Agreed.

As we’re always dreaming of acquiring some type of RV in the future, this would have been interesting to see. Timing just was right.

You could probably find a ship in the middle of a desert.

Oh my…
I fear that you’re going to regret having said that.

Consider yourself warned.
:stir:

Seymour bound! :thumbsup2 :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

That’d be my guess as well.
They’d be proud to have it I suspect.

Built by the Amish, I assume. :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

:lmao::rotfl: You may be on to something there…

Perfect timing! :thumbsup2
Good thing you didn't wait around to see that tour bus.
That is where the timing worked well.

And yes… that would be why, the bus tour wasn’t’ happening.
An interesting diversion, but not high on the must see priority list that day.

Not at all. Way to set the bar high the first time in the national spotlight.

All the kids in the music department down here have a habit of exceeding expectations. I credit the teachers on that one.
You expect much… you get much.

I have so many TR's to catch up on, that I am not multi-quoting any of them so that I can get caught up on each and every one. I thoroughly enjoyed your updates (love the photos you insert of movies, etc.).

Congratulations to your son and his classmates. That is an awesome job for their first ever National competition.

And I love the pic of him and his momma. :goodvibes

You’ll notice that I’m a might behind as well. Work has been seriously interfering with my Dis time as of late. Thanks for the “Congrats”, I’ll pass them on to the kids that did all the work. An yep…that’s a good picture. The folks in it don’t think so, but I know better.

The Madden Cruiser?

Oh. You can probably guess which one I'd be interested in.

With relatively little prodding from the studio audience.
We all have you priorities.
Yours seem to be in order.

Tell me about it.
But then again, I’d have been late getting back to Dayton, so it’s just a s well.

:cool1::woohoo:

Thank you, kind sir.

You’d already done the work…
I figured that everyone else ought to enjoy the benefits.

You know, I do believe I heard Andy mention something about doing a little re-modeling.

Or it could have been Brian (middlepat)'s new place--maybe Illinois was the ultimate destination.:stir:

Could be…
But I think that there are rules against allowing little pink houses to leave Indiana.
Entering is one thing, but leaving…

As you said, timing is everything.

And always keeping the ultimate goal in mind…
helps ensure that timing thing.

Not if you grease the right palms...:rolleyes1

There are times when I’m pretty sure such thing have been done.
But we prefer to do things the hard way…

by actually being better.

On the whole, quite the achievement.:thumbsup2

We weren’t expecting anything near that level.
Constant surprise has become normal when dealing with the kids down here.

Nice one. That's a keeper.

::yes::
I just have to keep the two of then coned into think that I worth keeping.

So far so good.

I’ve just about got the next update ready, but I also want to finish up an unnecessary bonus feature (as a bit of pay-back to a certain nemesis). Hopefully I’ll get both of those up before Monday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter