I said we wouldn't do Disney again. I lied. April Vacation - 4 Days Left! 4/17

47 Days til Disney!!

Time is really starting to fly by now! I've been pretty busy over the last couple of weeks since school's been back in. I've fallen behind on most of the TRs I've been reading. I hope to catch up soon.
I paid off the balance on our package today so we're paid in full and one step closer. :cheer2:

I guess the next milestone is 30 days for Magic Bands and online check in. Did I read something about check in being updated at the resorts so you can actually bypass the front desk to check into your room? That will be interesting.

I've been able to squeeze in another Disney movie night. We all watched Sleeping Beauty and really enjoyed it. We'd watched Maleficent earlier this winter and it was interesting to have the back story.

The biggest news is that I was able to get a lunch reservation at Be Our Guest!! I had pretty much put it out of my mind since I didn't think I'd get one. When Casey and Sarah told me I could make an ADR I was hopeful. It took me a few days of trying since I forgot on the 25th :sad2: but I finally got one!! :banana: We're going to have lunch at BOG on Sunday along with pre-park breakfast at CP. I had to drop LTT but I'm thrilled we get to see the castle. Now I have to get my hands on a Beauty and the Beast DVD for the boys to watch before we go.

I need to start thinking about what we want to bring with us. I'm not actually going to pack until the day before since I always do it at the last minute but I need to make sure I have everything. I'll have to pick up some swimsuits for the boys. Anyone have any advice about must-brings?

SO many things to be excited about!! Congrats for being paid in full, such a good feeling!

Congrats on the BOG ADR! And a pre-park CP!! Both of those are two things I am really looking forward to so I'm happy you were able to grab them!

This time is going to fly by and you will be in Disney before you know it!

47 Days til Disney!!

Time is really starting to fly by now! I've been pretty busy over the last couple of weeks since school's been back in. I've fallen behind on most of the TRs I've been reading. I hope to catch up soon.
I paid off the balance on our package today so we're paid in full and one step closer. :cheer2:

I guess the next milestone is 30 days for Magic Bands and online check in. Did I read something about check in being updated at the resorts so you can actually bypass the front desk to check into your room? That will be interesting.

I've been able to squeeze in another Disney movie night. We all watched Sleeping Beauty and really enjoyed it. We'd watched Maleficent earlier this winter and it was interesting to have the back story.

The biggest news is that I was able to get a lunch reservation at Be Our Guest!! I had pretty much put it out of my mind since I didn't think I'd get one. When Casey and Sarah told me I could make an ADR I was hopeful. It took me a few days of trying since I forgot on the 25th :sad2: but I finally got one!! :banana: We're going to have lunch at BOG on Sunday along with pre-park breakfast at CP. I had to drop LTT but I'm thrilled we get to see the castle. Now I have to get my hands on a Beauty and the Beast DVD for the boys to watch before we go.

I need to start thinking about what we want to bring with us. I'm not actually going to pack until the day before since I always do it at the last minute but I need to make sure I have everything. I'll have to pick up some swimsuits for the boys. Anyone have any advice about must-brings?

OMG!!!! 47 More Days!! I'd be chomping at the bit by now, especially after the stupid, snowy winter we've had!!! Lucky, lucky you!! And you are paid off! Such an awesome feeling, isn't it!? Ok, I think I'm using way too many exclamation points, but I'm just so excited for you. I've been following all along, I'm just horrible at replying. Sorry.

Yep, I heard you can now bypass check in. I haven't read alot about it yet as it's fairly new, but I think it's a nice thing. We'll see. I may change my mind if my Magic Bands don't work to open the door or I walk in on another family who hasn't checked out yet.

Yay on Be Our Guest. We ate there for lunch in September. I loved eating in the West Wing! It's awesome if you like a dark place. Now you have me thinking about Liberty Tree Tavern....ugh! It's been a couple of years since we've eaten there and I really liked it. Decisions, decisions.

No advice on packing really. I tend to have my bags packed with the essentials and add my clothes a day or two before. I bring the usual hair products, toiletries, etc. Make sure to have the sunblock and perhaps a mister fan!!

Boy. I'm saying a lot more on this PTR than I usually do!
Nevertheless...

I've fallen behind on most of the TRs I've been reading. I hope to catch up soon.

I await your imminent arrival.

Okay, that deserves a happy dance! :yay:

Online check in lets you bypass the front desk.... kind of.
You still will be checking in at a front desk, just not the same one as those who haven't done online check in.
I do know that if there's two people in line, one who's done online check in and one who hasn't, there won't be much difference in how soon you get your rooms.
That's according to one TR I read where two family members did just that.
On the other hand, I kind of look at it like FP+.
If you arrive and it's busy, you go to the online check in desk and bypass the line of waiting guests.

Just look for the online check in sign when you get to your resort, or ask a CM.

The biggest news is that I was able to get a lunch reservation at Be Our Guest!!

Nice! :thumbsup2

Anyone have any advice about must-brings?

Yes. As a matter of fact I do.

What to bring?

The right attitude.

When you go, remember this one cardinal rule.
Why are you going?

Sound obvious? Odd? Maybe even dumb?
Trust me. It's not.
Your boys are just a little older than my girls were when we first took them (4 & 8).
I decided even before we left that this trip was all about the kids having a good time.

My favourite ride is HM. And I like BTMRR, EE, RnR too.
Guess how many times I rode them????
Zero.
Kids were too little for the coasters and were frightened of HM.
I didn't push them even a little bit.
I did ride Journey Into Imagination at least three times.
And I rode Magic Carpets of Aladdin seven times. In a row.
Seven. Times.
My kids weren't nappers by then, but I came back to the resort everyday for some pool time.
If they pointed at something that they wanted to see, I'd stop and let them see it.
(Unless we really couldn't, like for an ADR. But then we'd go back afterwards.)

The end result?
They loved the trip. They fell in love with Disney.

Would you sacrifice yourself for your children?
Well you're doing it now.

Anytime you feel frustrated because you need to be somewhere or see something...
And the boys are upset because they don't want to leave or want to leave.
Take a deep breath and remember the reason you're even there.

Sorry, enough pontificating. I just really believe that a lot of parents get overwhelmed and forget why they're there.
I realize you've been before, but... well, there you have it. My 12 cents.

Oh. And as far as material things to bring?
Ponchos. Blister bandages (not just the regular bandaids), body glide, sun screen.

Again, you probably know all that.

Your trip is getting so close!!!

I think they are trying out a new way of doing online check-in that means you can bypass the front desk, but they're still rolling it out, so I haven't gotten to try it yet. Hopefully it will make everything faster.

I'm so happy you got the BOG!! :banana: The castle really is amazing, and I'm sure you'll love it!

I wish I could help with the packing ... but I never know what to bring. Hopefully you'll bring everything you need, and if you don't ... most stuff you can buy there somewhere (they just change a lot for the basics).

Super excited you are now paid off and you got your ressie at BOG!! Woot!!

Advice on what to bring? Your tickets. I had a friend forget his and it was pretty dicey there for a while. We laugh about it now, but sheesh!

Congrats on BOG! We liked it two years ago when it was pretty new. My best what to bring tip - two pairs of comfortable shoes for each person. Alternate days wearing them. We go with one pair of tennis shoes/sneakers (depending on where you are from) and one pair of Crocs. We make our plan so we wear the Crocs to parks where we might get wet (Kali!).

SO many things to be excited about!! Congrats for being paid in full, such a good feeling!

Congrats on the BOG ADR! And a pre-park CP!! Both of those are two things I am really looking forward to so I'm happy you were able to grab them!

This time is going to fly by and you will be in Disney before you know it!

Thanks, Casey! Looking forward to hearing all about your trip!

OMG!!!! 47 More Days!! I'd be chomping at the bit by now, especially after the stupid, snowy winter we've had!!! Lucky, lucky you!! And you are paid off! Such an awesome feeling, isn't it!? Ok, I think I'm using way too many exclamation points, but I'm just so excited for you. I've been following all along, I'm just horrible at replying. Sorry.

Yep, I heard you can now bypass check in. I haven't read alot about it yet as it's fairly new, but I think it's a nice thing. We'll see. I may change my mind if my Magic Bands don't work to open the door or I walk in on another family who hasn't checked out yet.

Yay on Be Our Guest. We ate there for lunch in September. I loved eating in the West Wing! It's awesome if you like a dark place. Now you have me thinking about Liberty Tree Tavern....ugh! It's been a couple of years since we've eaten there and I really liked it. Decisions, decisions.

No advice on packing really. I tend to have my bags packed with the essentials and add my clothes a day or two before. I bring the usual hair products, toiletries, etc. Make sure to have the sunblock and perhaps a mister fan!!

Thank you so much!! I am just thrilled to be so close.

I'll be very interested to see how it works out with the check in. But honestly, I didn't mind it before. I always had a very pleasant experience with the front desk at check in and it was always a nice start to the trip. That would be my worry, walking in on people who are still in their room.

I'm really looking forward to BOG. We haven't watched Beauty and the Beast yet, have to get going with that.

Boy. I'm saying a lot more on this PTR than I usually do!
Nevertheless...

I await your imminent arrival.

Okay, that deserves a happy dance! :yay:

Online check in lets you bypass the front desk.... kind of.
You still will be checking in at a front desk, just not the same one as those who haven't done online check in.
I do know that if there's two people in line, one who's done online check in and one who hasn't, there won't be much difference in how soon you get your rooms.
That's according to one TR I read where two family members did just that.
On the other hand, I kind of look at it like FP+.
If you arrive and it's busy, you go to the online check in desk and bypass the line of waiting guests.

Just look for the online check in sign when you get to your resort, or ask a CM.

Nice! :thumbsup2

Yes. As a matter of fact I do.

What to bring?

The right attitude.

When you go, remember this one cardinal rule.
Why are you going?

Sound obvious? Odd? Maybe even dumb?
Trust me. It's not.
Your boys are just a little older than my girls were when we first took them (4 & 8).
I decided even before we left that this trip was all about the kids having a good time.

My favourite ride is HM. And I like BTMRR, EE, RnR too.
Guess how many times I rode them????
Zero.
Kids were too little for the coasters and were frightened of HM.
I didn't push them even a little bit.
I did ride Journey Into Imagination at least three times.
And I rode Magic Carpets of Aladdin seven times. In a row.
Seven. Times.
My kids weren't nappers by then, but I came back to the resort everyday for some pool time.
If they pointed at something that they wanted to see, I'd stop and let them see it.
(Unless we really couldn't, like for an ADR. But then we'd go back afterwards.)

The end result?
They loved the trip. They fell in love with Disney.

Would you sacrifice yourself for your children?
Well you're doing it now.

Anytime you feel frustrated because you need to be somewhere or see something...
And the boys are upset because they don't want to leave or want to leave.
Take a deep breath and remember the reason you're even there.

Sorry, enough pontificating. I just really believe that a lot of parents get overwhelmed and forget why they're there.
I realize you've been before, but... well, there you have it. My 12 cents.

Oh. And as far as material things to bring?
Ponchos. Blister bandages (not just the regular bandaids), body glide, sun screen.

Again, you probably know all that.

I'm flattered that you're reading my PTR.

As I was just saying above, I actually don't mind the front desk check in. It makes for a pleasant start to the vacation to be greeted by a CM. I think it would be weird to just walk in and go right to our room without taking to anyone. Huh. I'm interested to see what it's like...

That is some sage advice, my friend. I definitely have my list in my head and also on paper about what I want to accomplish each day but I also realize the kids will be just as happy at the pool so we'll have to do some compromising but I know it will be a great time.

Gotta get some ponchos! So many things to remember to do before we leave.

Your trip is getting so close!!!

I think they are trying out a new way of doing online check-in that means you can bypass the front desk, but they're still rolling it out, so I haven't gotten to try it yet. Hopefully it will make everything faster.

I'm so happy you got the BOG!! :banana: The castle really is amazing, and I'm sure you'll love it!

I wish I could help with the packing ... but I never know what to bring. Hopefully you'll bring everything you need, and if you don't ... most stuff you can buy there somewhere (they just change a lot for the basics).

Thanks, I'm really excited to eat at the castle an I've heard good things about the food. I always pack at the last minute but I'm going to have to spend these weeks making sure we have everything we need. I'm not really ready to think about summer clothes shopping since it's still snowing here. Ugh! :sad2: But both boys have grown since last summer so they're going to need everything - shirts, shorts, bathing suits. Oh well, just more to keep my busy so the trip comes quickly.

Super excited you are now paid off and you got your ressie at BOG!! Woot!!

Advice on what to bring? Your tickets. I had a friend forget his and it was pretty dicey there for a while. We laugh about it now, but sheesh!

Oh my gosh, I hope I don't forget the Magic Bands! That would be a nightmare.

Congrats on BOG! We liked it two years ago when it was pretty new. My best what to bring tip - two pairs of comfortable shoes for each person. Alternate days wearing them. We go with one pair of tennis shoes/sneakers (depending on where you are from) and one pair of Crocs. We make our plan so we wear the Crocs to parks where we might get wet (Kali!).

Thanks! I'm sure we'll love it. That's great advice about the shoes. I usually bring my sneakers and some type of sandal. Last year I got some Oofos flip flops and they are amazing so I'll probably alternate between my sneakers and the flip flops. I'll make sure my boys have two pairs of shoes as well.

30 Days to go!!

I can't believe how close we're getting. I remember when I first booked the trip back in November it was something like 140 days away. Time is flying by!

The past couple of weeks I was super busy with running the book fair at my sons' school. Not to go into super boring detail but it was a lot of work and I had to deal with some pretty petty stuff. But it got done and we raised lots of money for the school library and the teachers.

I purchased my first item for the trip, a camera bag:

I'm not a good photographer but I invested in an entry level DSLR so I could take better pictures. Last time I just carried my camera (a Nikon D3100) with the kit lens in a regular sling backpack because I didn't feel confident enough to worry about changing lenses. This year I want to try bringing the camera with a zoom lens and a 35mm so I can switch around depending on what I'm photographing. I didn't want to carry my bulky camera bag or chance putting it in a backpack without any protection so I picked out this bag. I like that it doesn't look like a camera bag, I'll be able to fit other stuff we're carrying in the park, and it has the extra protection inside for the camera and lenses.

I'm just now realizing that the boys are bigger than they were when summer ended last year so I'm going to have to buy them some summer clothes and bathing suits. I can't imagine that I'll be able to find many sales yet but maybe I can find some coupons or something online and pick up a few things. I think it might be smart to pack a little light and plan to do a load of laundry halfway through our stay than to try to stock up on a week's worth of clothing for them.

Today I logged onto My Disney Experience and completed the online check in. When I got to the room requests I had hoped to request an upper floor and something closer to the pool. But they only offered a few items from a list to check off: first floor, lower floor, upper floor, and close to elevator. Proximity doesn't really matter to me since we don't mind walking anywhere, I just thought the boys would like to be close to the pool. I do hope we get a higher floor, I really don't like first floor rooms in hotels for some reason. It's creepy. :crazy2:

They also asked if it's more important for the room to be ready when you arrive (we will probably get there around 2 and check in is at 3 so the room won't necessarily be ready) or to get your room preference requests. I thought that was thoughtful of them so I answered that I'd rather wait for the room to get my request. :thumbsup2

The past couple of weeks I was super busy with running the book fair at my sons' school. Not to go into super boring detail but it was a lot of work and I had to deal with some pretty petty stuff.

Petty stuff.
So not surprised to hear that. :sad2:
Makes you wonder why you even bother...

But it got done and we raised lots of money for the school library and the teachers.

...and that's why you bother.

I like that it doesn't look like a camera bag, I'll be able to fit other stuff we're carrying in the park, and it has the extra protection inside for the camera and lenses.

Nice bag. :thumbsup2

When I got to the room requests I had hoped to request an upper floor and something closer to the pool. But they only offered a few items from a list to check off: first floor, lower floor, upper floor, and close to elevator.

Wasn't there a text box that you could add requests to?
I seem to recall putting my request for Jazz section in in.

Hi hi hi! I totaaaaally relate to falling behind on my DIS pals PTRs and TRs. (So here I am! Sorry about that! :p )

I don't love 1st floor rooms myself. They don't creep me out in any way, I just prefer to be up higher. However with having to use an ECV, having one less elevator to deal with is nice... So I always bite the bullet and ask for 1st floor. I love high-floor rooms, though! :thumbsup2

As far as preference vs. having your room ready, I'm the big jerk who wants BOTH. :laughing: I want to be able to go ahead and stash my stuff in my room and familiarize myself with it before I head out for the evening. But I also want all my requests met. So I'm never sure how to answer that question. And then when I get to check-in, I will beg and plead with the CM to hook me up. ::yes::

I like the camera bag - it will double as a good park bag!

We always say we'll wait to get our requests ... but sometimes the room is ready anyway, which is great!

A month from now you'll be at Disney ... so exciting!!

Hi there! :dogdance: I followed you over here from your comment on my PTR, and boy, am I glad I did. Your plans are great, and reading through, I shared the same thoughts and second thoughts.

I am completely interested in your camera bag purchase. I have a Canon DSLR that I'm really on the fence about taking. We purchased Memory Maker because I wanted to be in the pictures this time, so I really can't decide if I want to lug my camera along. Thanks for the picture and details.

Love the camera bag! I bought a neoprene case for my DSLR a couple of years ago so I could throw it in any bag and still feel like it was protected and I love it! But if you want to be able to switch out lenses a camera bag is smart. :thumbsup2

Your trip is so close! I hope you get the room you want! pixiedust:

Howdy! I'm back from my trip and trying to catch up on everyone's reports. Congrats on 30 days out!! So exciting and getting so close for you! That camera bag is very nice. I also think packing light and doing laundry would be a good idea. We didn't do that, and had to scramble on the check out to make sure our bags weren't over the 50 pound limit for the plane! :rotfl:

Petty stuff.
So not surprised to hear that. :sad2:
Makes you wonder why you even bother...

...and that's why you bother.

Nice bag. :thumbsup2

Wasn't there a text box that you could add requests to?
I seem to recall putting my request for Jazz section in in.

Yeah, things like other parents not giving books to teacher's they don't like, etc. It was like dealing with children. Oh, well. I'm so relieved it's over. Thanks! I didn't see a text box, maybe I missed it. Oh, well. I'm going to just take my chances. As long as we're not on the first floor I'll be happy.

Hi hi hi! I totaaaaally relate to falling behind on my DIS pals PTRs and TRs. (So here I am! Sorry about that! :p )

I don't love 1st floor rooms myself. They don't creep me out in any way, I just prefer to be up higher. However with having to use an ECV, having one less elevator to deal with is nice... So I always bite the bullet and ask for 1st floor. I love high-floor rooms, though! :thumbsup2

As far as preference vs. having your room ready, I'm the big jerk who wants BOTH. :laughing: I want to be able to go ahead and stash my stuff in my room and familiarize myself with it before I head out for the evening. But I also want all my requests met. So I'm never sure how to answer that question. And then when I get to check-in, I will beg and plead with the CM to hook me up. ::yes::

I admit it would be nice if the room was ready when we get there. Last time we went I forgot to pack suits in our carry ons and the boys were livid that they couldn't swim. I won't be making that mistake again. :rolleyes:

I like the camera bag - it will double as a good park bag!

We always say we'll wait to get our requests ... but sometimes the room is ready anyway, which is great!

A month from now you'll be at Disney ... so exciting!!

Thanks, I think it'll work out great. As long as the boys can swim in the pool it doesn't matter if the room's ready. I'd rather wait for an upper floor. Besides, it should only be about an hour after we arrive before check in. I can't believe we have less than 4 weeks to go.
Hi there! :dogdance: I followed you over here from your comment on my PTR, and boy, am I glad I did. Your plans are great, and reading through, I shared the same thoughts and second thoughts.

I am completely interested in your camera bag purchase. I have a Canon DSLR that I'm really on the fence about taking. We purchased Memory Maker because I wanted to be in the pictures this time, so I really can't decide if I want to lug my camera along. Thanks for the picture and details.

:welcome: Thanks for joining in. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with second thoughts. I was afraid I'd come off as crazy after I changed my mind so many times. :rotfl:

We have the MM for that same reason. In the past we've never had many pictures taken by the photo pass photographers. This time I'm going to bug as many as I can for photos. :rotfl2:I still want to have my camera for things like the safari, taking pics of food, capturing details at the parks, etc. I hope this bag makes it seem like I'm not lugging it around.

Love the camera bag! I bought a neoprene case for my DSLR a couple of years ago so I could throw it in any bag and still feel like it was protected and I love it! But if you want to be able to switch out lenses a camera bag is smart. :thumbsup2

Your trip is so close! I hope you get the room you want! pixiedust:

Thanks. That's a good idea about a neoprene case, I hadn't thought of that. :thumbsup2

Howdy! I'm back from my trip and trying to catch up on everyone's reports. Congrats on 30 days out!! So exciting and getting so close for you! That camera bag is very nice. I also think packing light and doing laundry would be a good idea. We didn't do that, and had to scramble on the check out to make sure our bags weren't over the 50 pound limit for the plane! :rotfl:

Welcome back! Thanks for the advice about packing light. I know we'll be coming back with more stuff than we bring. :rotfl2:

I love the camera bag. I need a new one for my DSLR. Mine isn't very user friendly.

We used the new check-in at AKL. They texted me about 11 AM on our check-in day that our room was ready and gave us the room number. When we got there, we went straight to the room and right in - no check in desk!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter