I need help with ADA accommodations at work

disneydreamin247

DIS Veteran
My less than friendly work environment has become even worse. They just transferred me to a branch with stairs to access the restrooms and kitchen. I called HR about it and was told that I can go outside to the HR building and use the elevator to their upstairs restroom. Is this a feasible accommodation as allowed by the ADA? To me it doesn't seem reasonable to ask someone with knee and back injuries to walk outside to another building, especially in snow, rain, and icy conditions (not now, but when they occur). Please advise me on what I should do!

First thing to do is to determine of you condition qualifies as a disability under ADA.

If it does, then no there accommodation is not equal or even necessarily safe.

The federal DOJ OCR has consumer lines that you can call to describe your situation and to get their preliminary impressions of your situation, so Google them.

bookwormde

It depends how old the building you are in is. It may be protected under the grandfather clause.

My less than friendly work environment has become even worse. They just transferred me to a branch with stairs to access the restrooms and kitchen. I called HR about it and was told that I can go outside to the HR building and use the elevator to their upstairs restroom. Is this a feasible accommodation as allowed by the ADA? To me it doesn't seem reasonable to ask someone with knee and back injuries to walk outside to another building, especially in snow, rain, and icy conditions (not now, but when they occur). Please advise me on what I should do!

If the building is grandfathered, they should transfer you to an accessible branch. Have you notified your place of work about your limitations before this transfer ocurred?

If the building is grandfathered, they should transfer you to an accessible branch. Have you notified your place of work about your limitations before this transfer ocurred?

Yes. They have made accommodations for me to wear sneakers to work. However when I called about the issue with this branch they were less than friendly about helping me out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter