I need advice from people that have used points for Hawaii

karebear1

<font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co
We are celebrating our 25th Anniversary next March and are trying to decide between a cruise or some time in Hawaii. I think I have a basic understanding of how to use the points to trade for either II or use them for the COnciegre collection for one of the two resorts offered there. What I need from you all is where have you stayed and what have you been happy with II or which of the Concierge Collection resorts have you stayed at. What are the pros nad cons of using one or the other? I have no idea about any of these or even how to find II resorts that I can trade for. ANy and all info you could give me will really be appreciated.
Thanks!

I used points 2 years ago to stay 8 nights at the Mauna Lani. It was paradise! We had absolutely the best time, and I'd go back in a second if I had the chance. I chose to splurge and use my points to book a sure thing at the Mauna Lani instead of trying to trade out through II, because I had to vacation over Easter week and I wanted to lock it in. I was doubtful if any trade request for Hawaii would come through for Easter week. Plus it looked and sounded beautiful from every description I'd seen.

I wrote 2 detailed trip reports after I returned. If you're interested, do a search with my name and "Mauna Lani" and you should find them.

I know that others on this board have successfully traded through II for various places in Hawaii, so I'm sure they will give you lots of good advice too.

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary, and best wishes planning a terrific Hawaii trip or a cruise! Perfect way to celebrate! :hug:

I can't speak to the two CC options other than they are both regarded as world class options and been featured on the Travel channel. The points are obviously very high.

For II, all the Marriott's, the Embassy's, the Westin and Hanalei Bay are worthy exchanges in thier own way. Kona Coast is also a great exchange but one you can likely rent on your own for a better value. I'd be reluctant for any of the other exchange options on the II-DVC list but it partly depends on how badly you want to go. All the options on the exchange list are worhty of a stay, just not all are worthy of the points costs used through DVC. You can also look at direct exchanges and independent exchange companies giving you access to other great timeshare exchange options like the Hilton HI village, Bay Club, Shearwater, Maui Lei as well as some additional II options on on the DVC list, like the Whaler.

You can also look at direct exchanges and independent exchange companies giving you access to other great timeshare exchange options like the Hilton HI village, Bay Club, Shearwater, Maui Lei as well as some additional II options on on the DVC list, like the Whaler. [/B][/QUOTE]

Dean- is there a book on Timeshare exchanging for Dummies? I would be interested in trying this but again have no idea how to go about it. Do you have any tips? Step by step instructions is what this DVC newbie needs my friend! Thanks!

Originally posted by karebear1
You can also look at direct exchanges and independent exchange companies giving you access to other great timeshare exchange options like the Hilton HI village, Bay Club, Shearwater, Maui Lei as well as some additional II options on on the DVC list, like the Whaler.

If you do a search for HI and my screen name, I think you'll get a fair amount of into. After that, just ask away and I'll try to help when I have more time.

Thanks Dean- I did do a search and read some info earlier today, but I'll go back and re-read and then come back if I still don't get it. I could tell by what I did read that you are the DVC -Timeshare switch guru! I'm sure I'll be back! ;)

No- I haven't tried to exchange through the DVC yet. I did call and got some info on it, but I don't know how to find the resorts I can exchange for. Any hints?

The resorts to exchange into are listed on the web site, but I would suggest if you go that route, you need to be VERY flexible. We plan to have a very open ended search for one week and when and if we get that one, we will go for the second week.

BTW, I noticed on one of your posts that one of the direct exchangese was for Shearwater. That is a GREAT place! We almost bought there. It is beautiful!

Diane- did I givve the name Shearwater? If I did, I'm really confused and can't remember. I've never heard of that before. Well- not that I can rmeember anyway! Oh my........ I need a trip to the Dr.'s and WDW!!!

Pahio Shearwater would be one of the RCI resorts I'd put on my very short exchange list. It is a n ice place.

Thank you Dean and Diane. I reread some of those threads you were talking about Dean and found a few more names of resorts that would be good to trade for. I'm particularly interested in Maui trades. Ever been there with an exchange? For some reason I am unable to access the DVC websites World Passport collection of places we cna trade for, so I am waiting for a reply from MS- I wrote a note and asked them to email me a list. I think it has something to do with the fact that we're on aol and dial up- at least that's the conclusion I came up with when I asked other DVCers if they've had a problem accessing the site. SO- I am slowl,y plodding along geting to where I need to. Please pixie dust my computer for me so the info will come through sometime!!

Thank you Dean and Diane. I reread some of those threads you were talking about Dean and found a few more names of resorts that would be good to trade for. I'm particularly interested in Maui trades. Ever been there with an exchange? For some reason I am unable to access the DVC websites World Passport collection of places we cna trade for, so I am waiting for a reply from MS- I wrote a note and asked them to email me a list. I think it has something to do with the fact that we're on aol and dial up- at least that's the conclusion I came up with when I asked other DVCers if they've had a problem accessing the site. SO- I am slowl,y plodding along geting to where I need to. Please pixie dust my computer for me so the info will come through sometime!!
Email me and I'll send you the pdf for HI off the members website. I have been to Maui a number of times and stayed at the Marriott (before timeshares) and at the Embassy. I've visited SOK, Papakea, One Napili, Schooner, Kahana Beach VC and Maui Lei. Papakea actually has 3 timeshare in it but only one, likely the best one, is on the DVC list. I also visited the Westin construction site to a small degree.

For Kaui, I've seen both Marriott's, the Embassy, Lawaii Beach, Cliff's club, Makai Cottages, Hanalei Bay, all of the Pahio's, Alii Kai, Bali Hai, Club Intrawest and seems like a couple of others I'm forgetting right now.

We too have stayed on Maui a couple of times, but not in timeshares or on timeshare exchanges. The best place to be on Maui is the Kaanapali beach or Lahina area. I personally prefer both Kauai and Hawaii to Maui, but Maui is VERY nice too.

Dean- I sent an email your way.

I'm hoping to be able to find someplace that is very relaxing. We're not really set on Maui- we were thinking Maui because it looked as though there were a lot of different tours etc. we could do, but also be in a relaxing place. There is actually one other place we were looking at on Hawaii that is all inclusive- but I'll bet DVC doesn't trade with them. It's called Kona Village Resorts. They have no telephones or tv or rdaio- which we would love .... as long as I can find other things to do. I like quiet....... but after about 1 full day if it I get bored and need something to do for a few hours every day- doesn't have to be full day excitement- just a few hours. So- any advice on tours or thigns you've done that you have felt are absolutely worth the time and money would be appreciated. We never went on a honeymoon after we got married- no money! So...... this is a combo- first and 25th anniversary trip!;) ANyway- of the places you've been- what were your absolute favorites and why?

Dean- I sent an email your way.

I'm hoping to be able to find someplace that is very relaxing. We're not really set on Maui- we were thinking Maui because it looked as though there were a lot of different tours etc. we could do, but also be in a relaxing place. There is actually one other place we were looking at on Hawaii that is all inclusive- but I'll bet DVC doesn't trade with them. It's called Kona Village Resorts. They have no telephones or tv or rdaio- which we would love .... as long as I can find other things to do. I like quiet....... but after about 1 full day if it I get bored and need something to do for a few hours every day- doesn't have to be full day excitement- just a few hours. So- any advice on tours or thigns you've done that you have felt are absolutely worth the time and money would be appreciated. We never went on a honeymoon after we got married- no money! So...... this is a combo- first and 25th anniversary trip!;) ANyway- of the places you've been- what were your absolute favorites and why?
The AI resort doesn't sound like a timeshare. The only one I am familiar with by a name similar is the Kona Hawaiian Village by the Sea. If you mostly want to relax, I think most of these we've mentioned would fit the bill. I think though that you might move Kauia over Maui in this situation. You need to decide what type of relaxing you want to do. If you want to eat out every night, I'd move the Marriott, Embassy and Westin on Maui to the top followed by the Marriott Kauai Beach Club. If you want to just relax, I'd go with Kaui for Hanelei Bay, the Embassy or Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club. The CC options would be great for this as well if you want to spend that many points. The Big Island options of Kona Coast and possibly Bay Club (RCI resort) might be appealing. If you want this type of secluded option, you might also consider some Caribbean options including the Westin (St. John's), St. James Club (Antigua), Royal Reef and Grand Caymanian (Cayman's) or possibly one of the MX All Inclusive resorts or one that offers that as an option. Also, for this type of trip, you may want to consider something like Ciboney in Jamaica, which is actually part of one of the Sandals resorts and you might get through San Francisco Exchange. Good luck.

Originally posted by Dean
...Westin on Maui to the top followed by the Marriott Kauai Beach Club. If you want to just relax, I'd go with Kaui for Hanelei Bay, the Embassy or Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club. ... Good luck.

DW and I spent time at botht eh Marriott's on Kaua'i (Kaua'i Beach Club and Waiohai)

Waiohai was 'purpose built" and gorgeous! The grounds at Kaua'i Beach are beautiful, but it is a converted hotel.

Paradise! We almost bought into Waiohai, Dean. 26k for island view and exchangeable for 86,000 points each year.

Originally posted by joepoe
Paradise! We almost bought into Waiohai, Dean. 26k for island view and exchangeable for 86,000 points each year.
It is a pretty property but to buy to exchange or points would be nuts. If you want to go most years, that would be the property to buy. Up front and yearly fees will be much too much to justify owning it for any other reason, much like DVC. If one wants Marriott points and trading, I'd go with something like Monarch which will get you 130K points EVERY year for much less and will trade about as well.

Thanks to you both for the suggestions- I'll check them out.
Dean- how long have you been doing this for? You are very familiar with it all- the way I'm familiar with WDW !

Thanks to you both for the suggestions- I'll check them out.
Dean- how long have you been doing this for? You are very familiar with it all- the way I'm familiar with WDW !
Maybe 10 years or a little less. I'm familiar with a lot but mostly US SE, MX, HI and Caribbean. A little less so for Canada and the rest of the US. Far less so for the rest of the world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter