I must be crazy! - An October-November 2016 Solo PTR - Update 10/9 2 Weeks to Go - That's a Wrap

Just a tip on your flights to Miami. As an avid cruise fan I've seen too many people miss cruises by flying in on the day of their cruise. It's just not worth the risk. There could be a strike, bad weather, a hurricane. If you're nervous about it there's a reason. Don't ignore that feeling. Go with the safe option and book your flight for the day before your cruise. Not only will you be playing it safe, you'll also board the ship rested and relaxed after a good night's sleep and be ready to hit the ground running :)
Sounds like an amazing trip and I'll following along as our trip dates are fairly similar :)

I have to agree here, 100%. Just think of the hotel room as insurance. :) We always get a hotel room the night before we cruise, no matter where we leave from.

If you're flying into MIA, the Miami Port is only about a 15 minute drive away, mostly through the city. So you shouldn't have any issues finding a hotel that offers a shuttle to pick you up from the airport, as well as take you to the Miami Port.

I thought I’d share another idea that I’ve seen in passing that I’m tempted to do when I’m staying at Beach Club – and that’s the Boardwalk Boozefest (patent pending).,This is where you imbibe in an adult beverage at every hotel in the Crescent Lake area.

I am duly impressed with all the alcohol challenges. All the drinks look tempting. I shall live vicariously through you.

And last but not least, this week’s ears. It’s time to start off the princess collection with a bang with some Rapunzel inspired ears.

dsc01047-jpg.153678

LOVE these. So very pretty. Can't wait to see what else you come up with in this collection

Totally agree with the others on this. You would be unnecessarily stressed trying to get there the day of the cruise. And what if that flight is cancelled? You just never know and it's not worth the risk. We alwayd get hotel the night before a cruise, even when it's just a 4-5 hour drive.
On the plus side you get to sleep in and enjoy breakfast out somewhere before the cruise!

I have to agree here, 100%. Just think of the hotel room as insurance. :) We always get a hotel room the night before we cruise, no matter where we leave from.

I've definitely been convinced that flying in the day before is the best option. Now I just have to wait for flight prices to hopefully drop just a little!

If you're flying into MIA, the Miami Port is only about a 15 minute drive away, mostly through the city. So you shouldn't have any issues finding a hotel that offers a shuttle to pick you up from the airport, as well as take you to the Miami Port.

I'm hoping to fly into MIA but flights into FLL are quite a bit cheaper at this stage. I know I then have to spend more on transport so I'm just hoping that some flight deals are offered a little closer to the trip.

I have to agree on flying in the day before. I once had an Italy trip booked perfectly for spring break with arrival the day of our scheduled tour, and while en route from Canada to London, they cancelled my London to Rome flight. By the time I had landed in London, all available flights had already been booked (by people who had the knowledge of the cancellation) and long story short, we missed the first day of our tour. Lesson learned!
Love the Rapunzel Mickey ears!

Ouch - not a fun lesson to learn I'm sure.

I am duly impressed with all the alcohol challenges. All the drinks look tempting. I shall live vicariously through you.

It probably makes me sound like an alcoholic with all the drinking plans but I didn't drink for three years, and have a resolution not to drink until the trip this year (60 days and counting) so I really don't drink that much usually!

LOVE these. So very pretty. Can't wait to see what else you come up with in this collection

Thanks!

Totally agree with the others on this. You would be unnecessarily stressed trying to get there the day of the cruise. And what if that flight is cancelled? You just never know and it's not worth the risk. We alwayd get hotel the night before a cruise, even when it's just a 4-5 hour drive.
On the plus side you get to sleep in and enjoy breakfast out somewhere before the cruise!

Thanks for the advice - definitely going to fly in the day before - now I just have to decide where in Miami I want to spend the night :cutie:

I'm hoping to fly into MIA but flights into FLL are quite a bit cheaper at this stage. I know I then have to spend more on transport so I'm just hoping that some flight deals are offered a little closer to the trip.

Flown in and out of FLL too - not a bad option either :thumbsup2

I did some actual trip planning this week (who’d want a PTR that includes actual planning right?).

Right!

Wait...

On release day the flight from LA to San Francisco was $113 and when I looked on Thursday it was only $59. So you better believe that I booked it.

Score! I wish all flights could be 1/2 price.

I was going to do my Drinks around the World plan this week but @BibbitybobityLu covered it so well recently that I might give it a little while before I talk about it – otherwise everyone will be like enough with the foreign alcohol already.

:laughing:

I've come to expect all my favourite girls to be tipsy in Disney (which rhymes.)

the Boardwalk Boozefest (patent pending

oooh.... good one.

Belle Vue Lounge – White Superfruit Sangria - Eppa White Sangria made from organically grown Chardonnay grapes and a blend of Mangosteen, Peach, Mango and Blood Orange juices with a hint of natural citrus essences

want

ESPN Club – The Espy - Absolut Mandrin, Peach Schnapps, Orange and Pineapple Juices, and Sprite

want

Boardwalk Joe’s – Captain’s Seaside Sensation - Pineapple Smoothie with Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum

So torn here! Pineapple smoothie! Yes! Rum. No.

Leaping Horse Libations – Tilt-a-whirl - Absolut Citron Vodka, Chambord, and Minute Maid® Light Pomegranate Limeade

want

I think out of all of those I’m leaning towards the Captain’s Seaside Sensation

Well if you must.
But personally, I think you should do all of them.

• Kimonos Lounge – Pears and Brown Sugar - TRU Organic Vodka, Fresh lemon juice, and house made baby pear purée. Garnished with a brown sugar rim\
  • Il Mulino Lounge – Peach Bellini - A traditional drink with an Il Mulino twist, Fresh Peach Purée, Prosecco and Peach Schnapps

want and want

And there is no question what I’ll end up picking – it has to be the pears.

I hope you'll have a nice pear.

After the Swan it will be a quick walk (or stumble) over to the Dolphin.

That will depend on whether you take my advice or not.

Lobby Lounge – Wild Palmer - Absolute Wild Tea Vodka, fresh Lemonade, Iced Tea and Mint

Sure.

Todd English’s Bluezoo Lounge – The Antidote - a spin on the classic gin and tonic we utilize st. george terroir gin, king’s ginger, jack rudy small batch tonic, and hopped grapefruit bitters topped with a lime foam

Meh.

The Fountain – Grasshopper - Minty Chip Ice Cream, Bailey's, Crème de Cocoa, Milk, topped with Whipped Cream, Crème de Menthe & Grasshopper Cookies

Good Lord!

Cabanas Bar – Dominican Sneak Up - Brugal Dominican Rum, fresh Kiwi, hand-squeezed Lemonade

nope.

This is a hard bunch to pick from – the Grasshopper sounds amazing but I’m not sure it’s the best option for a mid way through a bar crawl drink.

Yes it is!!

Ale and Compass Lounge – Superfruit Sangria - Eppa SupraFruta Red Sangria made from organically grown grapes and an organic blend of antioxidant-rich Pomegranate, Blueberry, Açai, and Blood Orange juices topped with VeeV Açai Spirit

want.

Crew’s Cup Lounge – Tropical Infusion - SKYY Infusions Dragon Fruit Vodka, Strawberry Purèe, Pineapple Juice, Coconut, and fresh Lime Juice

ew.

Here I’d probably end up picking the Tropical Infusion – no particular reason why.

Okay... but... coconut?
I'm not kissing you until after your next drink.

Sorry, but that's just the way it's gotta be.

• Hurricane Hanna’s – Sunken Treasure - Malibu Coconut Rum, Midori Melon Liqueur, Tropical Juices, and Sprite® with a float of Bols Blue Curaçao
  • Martha’s Vineyard - Villa Rose Moscato d'Asti, Piedmont

Agree with your choice here!
I mean... coconut and rum? Is this a cruel joke?

And last but not least, this week’s ears. It’s time to start off the princess collection with a bang with some Rapunzel inspired ears.

dsc01047-jpg.153678

That's really nice. Possibly my fave so far.

It probably makes me sound like an alcoholic with all the drinking plans but I didn't drink for three years, and have a resolution not to drink until the trip this year (60 days and counting) so I really don't drink that much usually!

No judgment here. Just impressed. And jealous- wishing I could do the same. Sadly I don't hold my alcohol all that well. 2 drinks is more than enough for me.

Score! I wish all flights could be 1/2 price.

Me too....seeing as they're basically double the price to begin with when you consider the lousy Australian (and Canadian dollars) getting them at half price actually makes them reasonable.

I think I've managed to find another discount for the MCO to LAX leg as well - I've seen a Delta flight for $131 which is way less than what I paid last year ($220) and a lot less than the some of the other airlines - I may just have to book it this weekend.

I've come to expect all my favourite girls to be tipsy in Disney (which rhymes.)

oooh.... good one.

I liked it.

So torn here! Pineapple smoothie! Yes! Rum. No.

I'll drink the top half - which is clearly where all the rum will be - and you can have whatever pineapple is left.

Well if you must.
But personally, I think you should do all of them.

That will depend on whether you take my advice or not.

Yes it is!!

Okay... but... coconut?
I'm not kissing you until after your next drink.

Sorry, but that's just the way it's gotta be.

Agree with your choice here!
I mean... coconut and rum? Is this a cruel joke?

That's really nice. Possibly my fave so far.

Thank you.

I think I've managed to find another discount for the MCO to LAX leg as well - I've seen a Delta flight for $131 which is way less than what I paid last year ($220) and a lot less than the some of the other airlines - I may just have to book it this weekend.

Do it!!!!!

I'll drink the top half - which is clearly where all the rum will be - and you can have whatever pineapple is left.

I'd gladly share a drink with you.
That would mean I was actually there.

So that's a no, then?

Foiled again.

33 Weeks to Go

This week’s update will be a quick one as I’ve done a little bit of trip planning but haven’t really had time to think about a whole topic for this post. So let’s get it over and done with ;)

This week something strange happened

Strange-Things.gif

The Australian dollar actually climbed about 3 cents against the US dollar

rwwLl.gif

So the cost of some flights and hotels I’d been looking at suddenly became a lot more attractive.

200_s.gif

The first thing I did was book my flight from Orlando to LAX (or WDW to Disneyland! :cutie:). Delta had a great price and with the improvement in the exchange rate I decided to book it. It cost me $131USD. I went back into my emails and the same flight last year cost me $220USD so I was pretty happy to save that 40%.

Unfortunately no other flights have dropped in price yet (in fact the flight I’ve got my eye on for SFO to MIA has actually increased slightly) – but I’m in no rush and am sure some specials will be released between now and when I need them.

crossing_fingers_kevin_bacon.gif

The other bit of planning I did this week was done after all your bits of advice from last week about arriving in Miami the night before the cruise.

I’d been having a look at hotels in Miami either at the Airport or near the cruise terminal but hadn’t seen anything I liked within a reasonable budget. I happened to have a look at the hotel booking service that Qantas (my airline) offers because sometimes they have price specials and they offer bonus miles on select hotels. And what did I find?

Please-Tell-Me-Jake-Gyllenhaal-In-Donnie-Darko.gif

Oh you want me to tell you?

giphy.gif

Ok, I will. I found a great rate at the Pullman Miami Airport Hotel. I’m getting a Superior Room with City views for $140USD

upload_2016-3-5_18-23-51.png

69481597-Sofitel-Miami-Suite-1-RTS.jpg

Oh and the rate includes the buffet breakfast!

large.gif

So that’s about it for this week’s update. But there’s still time for the next set of ears – these ones are for you @pkondz

DSC01052.JPG

The Australian dollar actually climbed about 3 cents against the US dollar

::yes:: The greenback fell a little bit. Yay!

Well... d'uh!

The first thing I did was book my flight from Orlando to LAX (or WDW to Disneyland! :cutie:). Delta had a great price and with the improvement in the exchange rate I decided to book it. It cost me $131USD.

Nice!

Ok, I will. I found a great rate at the Pullman Miami Airport Hotel. I’m getting a Superior Room with City views for $140USD

Score! and...

...score again!

What would the rate have been without the discount?
(And why yes. As a matter of fact I could Google that... but I'm much too lazy.)

So that’s about it for this week’s update. But there’s still time for the next set of ears – these ones are for you @pkondz

:goodvibes

Now model them with her usual attire.
No?

::yes:: The greenback fell a little bit. Yay!

Me: The dollar is falling, the dollar is falling!

vR7-yi.gif

Score! and...

...score again!

Zap5VZE.gif

What would the rate have been without the discount?
(And why yes. As a matter of fact I could Google that... but I'm much too lazy.)

It was about $30AUD ($21USD) cheaper, plus I got breakfast thrown in and bonus airline miles so it was a good deal.

:goodvibes

Now model them with her usual attire.
No?

My clamshells are in the wash, sorry...

tumblr_inline_nwxpp9XB6Q1rqvkev_500.gif

I fell behind!!!

I did some actual trip planning this week (who’d want a PTR that includes actual planning right?)

Pfff! Who needs planning in a PTR anyway! You very rarely find any in mine! :rotfl:

On release day the flight from LA to San Francisco was $113 and when I looked on Thursday it was only $59. So you better believe that I booked it.

Whoa! That's a good deal!! :thumbsup2

I was going to do my Drinks around the World plan this week but @BibbitybobityLu covered it so well recently

giphy.gif

But don’t worry there will still be booze in this week’s update.

giphy.gif

Oh good! Thought I was going to have to leave! :laughing:

tumblr_inline_mfetnmg6nk1qltqg1.gif

I thought I’d share another idea that I’ve seen in passing that I’m tempted to do when I’m staying at Beach Club – and that’s the Boardwalk Boozefest (patent pending).,This is where you imbibe in an adult beverage at every hotel in the Crescent Lake area.

Ohhhhh!! This sounds like it's gonna be good!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

serious.gif

My plan would be to start at the Boardwalk Here there are four places to choose from:
  • Belle Vue Lounge – White Superfruit Sangria - Eppa White Sangria made from organically grown Chardonnay grapes and a blend of Mangosteen, Peach, Mango and Blood Orange juices with a hint of natural citrus essences
  • ESPN Club – The Espy - Absolut Mandrin, Peach Schnapps, Orange and Pineapple Juices, and Sprite
  • Boardwalk Joe’s – Captain’s Seaside Sensation - Pineapple Smoothie with Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
  • Leaping Horse Libations – Tilt-a-whirl - Absolut Citron Vodka, Chambord, and Minute Maid® Light Pomegranate Limeade

tumblr_inline_nyrepwY0281rgrqpu_500.gif

Il Mulino Lounge – Peach Bellini - A traditional drink with an Il Mulino twist, Fresh Peach Purée, Prosecco and Peach Schnapps

Yummy! Yes please! ::yes::

After the Swan it will be a quick walk (or stumble) over to the Dolphin.

Just stay away from the lake and you should be fine! :rotfl:

people_who_take_being_drunk_to_a_new_level_03.gif

(maybe avoid the parking lot too! :laughing:)

Cabanas Bar – Dominican Sneak Up - Brugal Dominican Rum, fresh Kiwi, hand-squeezed Lemonade
6117383-23940361-thumbnail.jpg

Yes! This! Yes! :drinking1

This is a hard bunch to pick from – the Grasshopper sounds amazing but I’m not sure it’s the best option for a mid way through a bar crawl drink.

e214781ba6e4baa9b57bbc0ca89db887.jpg

It does look good...but it might be a bad choice part way through :scratchin

tumblr_mit5hnSEBe1qali5jo1_400.gif

• Crew’s Cup Lounge – Tropical Infusion - SKYY Infusions Dragon Fruit Vodka, Strawberry Purèe, Pineapple Juice, Coconut, and fresh Lime Juice
Here I’d probably end up picking the Tropical Infusion – no particular reason why.

tropical.jpg

I think the reason is it looks AMAZING! :earseek: ::yes::

Hurricane Hanna’s – Sunken Treasure - Malibu Coconut Rum, Midori Melon Liqueur, Tropical Juices, and Sprite® with a float of Bols Blue Curaçao

Yes. I'll take two! :laughing:

After all that I'll probably end off the night like this

269.gif

If you don't you did it wrong! :lmao:

dsc01047-jpg.153678

Ooooo! Pretty! :cutie:

The first thing I did was book my flight from Orlando to LAX (or WDW to Disneyland! :cutie:). Delta had a great price and with the improvement in the exchange rate I decided to book it. It cost me $131USD. I went back into my emails and the same flight last year cost me $220USD so I was pretty happy to save that 40%.

That is a really good deal! :thumbsup2

upload_2016-3-5_18-23-51-png.155176

69481597-Sofitel-Miami-Suite-1-RTS.jpg

That looks so fancy!

large.gif

Even better! :thumbsup2 :laughing:

dsc01052-jpg.155177

Ooo! Sequins! Shiny!! :flower:

Oh WOW!! The dollar did improve!! I hadn't even realised until I read your post. Might need to get onto paying our cruise off now instead of waiting. Got to take advantage of that higher dollar before it changes :)

I fell behind!!!

tumblr_inline_n0aaxcukbY1rhjh2q.gif

Pfff! Who needs planning in a PTR anyway! You very rarely find any in mine! :rotfl:

tumblr_lzlukomsql1r2320uo2_500.gif

LmGYG.gif

Oh good! Thought I was going to have to leave! :laughing:

tumblr_inline_mfetnmg6nk1qltqg1.gif

buyyouadrank.gif

Ohhhhh!! This sounds like it's gonna be good!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

serious.gif

octopussoir-tumblr-10.gif

Just stay away from the lake and you should be fine! :rotfl:

people_who_take_being_drunk_to_a_new_level_03.gif

(maybe avoid the parking lot too! :laughing:)

Pier-Reach-Fall-Into-Water.gif

It does look good...but it might be a bad choice part way through :scratchin

new-5b1.gif

Yes. I'll take two! :laughing:

tumblr_maxt0tNMyy1r4aa4yo1_r1_250.gif

If you don't you did it wrong! :lmao:

200_s.gif

Ooooo! Pretty! :cutie:

giphy.gif

That looks so fancy!

Well that's what they say about me....

3678069546a02fc117670ce99ba73320.gif

Oh WOW!! The dollar did improve!! I hadn't even realised until I read your post. Might need to get onto paying our cruise off now instead of waiting. Got to take advantage of that higher dollar before it changes :)

That's why I've been booking flights now - I'm sure the dollar will plummet soon enough so I may as well give my credit card a work out now!

Yup. I bought my US money at the low, so of course the dollar then improved. You're welcome!

So it was you was it?

tumblr_m9cieqn4MI1rd2qw6o1_400.gif

Sweet! Luxury for the world traveller, I approve!

This trip is already in the five figures so I said what the heck :cutie:

Question for anyone still reading this PTR ;)- have any of you been to the Food & Wine Classic at the Swan and Dolphin? It's on during my trip and it looks good but it's $105 and I'm wondering if it's worth it. If you've been I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Me: The dollar is falling, the dollar is falling!

Oh, Gawd... not Honey Boo Boo. :sad2:

It was about $30AUD ($21USD) cheaper, plus I got breakfast thrown in and bonus airline miles so it was a good deal.

Not too shabby. Love the free brekkies.

My clamshells are in the wash, sorry...

tumblr_inline_nwxpp9XB6Q1rqvkev_500.gif

Dang.

Question for anyone still reading this PTR ;)- have any of you been to the Food & Wine Classic at the Swan and Dolphin?

Still reading, but... never been. Sori

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter