I must be crazy! - An October-November 2016 Solo PTR - Update 10/9 2 Weeks to Go - That's a Wrap

A little backstory about my personality before I get into this week’s update. I tend to make big decisions very quickly.

Always a good start to an update.

I’ll be cruising with Norwegian Cruise Line on the Getaway and they have much better accommodation for solo travellers.

That's great! Do they have a solo traveler supplement cost? I'm open to the idea of cruising solo, but paying the supplement cost usually steers me away.

Plus they’re attached to a lounge that is exclusively for the use of these rooms.

mi-getaway-studiolounge1115-jpg.152285

Nice!

and Costa Maya, Mexico.

Been here! It's still a relatively new port that's developing (At least it was three years ago when I was there). I think our ruin excursion was this day.

A fun stop too! Lots to do here in port. Eat, drink, beach, shopping, etc. I think this stop I Snubaed ... which is a type of combined snorkeling and scubaing. It was fun!

35 Weeks to Go

A little backstory about my personality before I get into this week’s update. I tend to make big decisions very quickly. When buying my last car I spent about 10 minutes reading some articles online, saw a car I thought looked alright, went out that afternoon to the car yard and bought the car without even test driving it. And I could not love my car anymore even if I’d spent hours and hours researching and test driving. And then we get to my house. I had some issues in the place I was renting and decided it was time to buy my own place instead of paying someone else’s mortgage. I went to two weekends worth of open for inspections, saw a place that fit my needs which was being auctioned the next week and then bought it.

So usually when I book something travel related that’s it. There’s no going back or regretting decisions. But I think being on the disboards has changed my perspective as I see people changing their plans all the time, moving hotels, changing dates and everything in between.

Which brings us to this week. I’ve been tracking flight prices while waiting for Southwest to release their flights this week. The flights to and from Boston for the cruise were super expensive and as I’ve mentioned before the accommodation prices are insane. I decided to see what other options were out there for that week.

I realized that I could save the equivalent of one flight ($300) if I cruised out of Florida rather than Boston. Plus I wouldn’t have to pack both a winter and summer wardrobe.

A few emails to some TAs later and I got a deal I thought would work perfectly. And I took it. I cancelled my Boston/Canada cruise – I figure I’d rather have more time to explore this area and it gives me an excuse to plan another trip!

So what have I booked instead you ask? A 7 night Western Caribbean out of Miami instead. I’ll be cruising with Norwegian Cruise Line on the Getaway and they have much better accommodation for solo travellers.

View attachment 152280

I’ll be staying in the single studios which look a little like this.

View attachment 152286

Plus they’re attached to a lounge that is exclusively for the use of these rooms.

View attachment 152285

The cruise ports I’ll be visiting are Roatan, Honduras

View attachment 152284

Belize City, Belize

View attachment 152281

Cozumel

View attachment 152283

and Costa Maya, Mexico.

View attachment 152282

And by booking now I was able to get the ultimate drinks package thrown in free. This is usually $69 a day so that was a pretty decent saving and now I can have all the fruity tropical cocktails that I care to drink! :drinking1

free-vs-fee-chart-main.jpg

So there you go. I did something I never thought I’d do and cancelled one booking to make another :cutie:

And finally this week’s ears. These are just a little basic pair for Halloween. I may change the bow to orange but I haven’t decided yet.

View attachment 152279
Those are some solid plans! I hear Belize, in particular, is quite awesome. I keep meaning to take a cruise, but I haven't managed to work my way up to that yet.

Do you think adding an orange centerband to your black bow would give them a little more of a Halloween touch?

My husband and I love cruising and have done most of those ports... They're great! I recommend cave tubing in Belize because... it's cave tubing! So fun :)

I know I'm several weeks behind,but I just have to tell you how fun the monorail crawl sounds. I've never heard of it before, but now it's going on my bucket list.

First of all welcome! Glad I've been able to inspire you to add something to your bucket list!

As for Trader Sam's, definatly not over rated. The Oh-oa is good but strong and ment for two. Maybe not the best choice if you don't want to over do it. My standby at Trader Sam's is the Krakatoa. It tastes yummy has a good effect and tiki glass.

Thanks for the positive review - I'm pretty sure I'll end up there unless the wait is ridiculously long.

I think the Grand Floridian is a perfect place to end with a dessert drink. I would do the Mizner's lounge and take it out to the beautiful lobby. If the orchestra (kind of more of a big band) is playing it makes you feel like you've been transported back in time.

Great idea.

Well, how can you really go wrong with a Caribbean cruise anyways! Good for you, and luckily you have the flexibility to make it happen. And very classy Halloween ears, I really like them a lot!

Thanks! It's definitely one of the perks of travelling alone - I can change plans without annoying anyone but myself!

Wow!! How exciting! And warmer! :laughing:

9e673974737c3686efc1dbb491c99a74.gif

In my head it's going to be exactly like this

beach-blanket-bingo.gif

OOOOooo! Fancy! That room looks so pretty and that lounge!! :thumbsup2

I'm a pretty fancy lady - I live my life like this

Okay then.

AHS-Myrtle-Dont-Be-A-Hater-Dea.gif

Now that is a good deal! :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1

drunk-baby-o.gif

Love them! :cutie:

giphy.gif

That's great! Do they have a solo traveler supplement cost? I'm open to the idea of cruising solo, but paying the supplement cost usually steers me away.

So these have no supplement - the price can vary greatly by each cruise but for me it was about $250 cheaper than getting a standard internal room and paying the single supplement - plus you get the lounge which includes free coffee and snacks and it's own bar.

Been here! It's still a relatively new port that's developing (At least it was three years ago when I was there). I think our ruin excursion was this day.

I may have to ask you for tips as the cruise gets closer.

A fun stop too! Lots to do here in port. Eat, drink, beach, shopping, etc. I think this stop I Snubaed ... which is a type of combined snorkeling and scubaing. It was fun!

You had me at eating and drinking!

Those are some solid plans! I hear Belize, in particular, is quite awesome. I keep meaning to take a cruise, but I haven't managed to work my way up to that yet.

I'll let you know when I get back if they're worth it or not :cutie:

Do you think adding an orange centerband to your black bow would give them a little more of a Halloween touch?

That is exactly what I was thinking!

So these have no supplement - the price can vary greatly by each cruise but for me it was about $250 cheaper than getting a standard internal room and paying the single supplement - plus you get the lounge which includes free coffee and snacks and it's own bar.

That's so great! I'll have to look into these a little more.

I may have to ask you for tips as the cruise gets closer.

Anytime. :thumbsup2

You had me at eating and drinking!

original.jpg

I tend to make big decisions very quickly.

I'm jealous. I am so indecisive (and a procrastinator)

So what have I booked instead you ask? A 7 night Western Caribbean out of Miami instead. I’ll be cruising with Norwegian Cruise Line on the Getaway and they have much better accommodation for solo travellers.

NICE!!!!!

mi-studio-epic683x226-jpg.152286

Looks perfect. Sounds like a fun cruise.

I read the update yesterday when I woke up and then when I returned home from my evening shift after 12 am, I had a sudden urge to look up European cruises (I live in Israel so it's more practical to look for European cruises). Instead of showering and going straight to bed. Even though I had to be up at 6 for my morning shift. At the time I didn't make the connection. (Thanks for that btw)
And now I'm just itching to go on a cruise. But not this year. Hopefully within the next 2 years.

And finally this week’s ears. These are just a little basic pair for Halloween. I may change the bow to orange but I haven’t decided yet.

dsc00974-jpg.152279

Cute! Maybe just some orange sparkle/glitter/beads instead of the orange bow?

Looks perfect. Sounds like a fun cruise.

I read the update yesterday when I woke up and then when I returned home from my evening shift after 12 am, I had a sudden urge to look up European cruises (I live in Israel so it's more practical to look for European cruises). Instead of showering and going straight to bed. Even though I had to be up at 6 for my morning shift. At the time I didn't make the connection. (Thanks for that btw)
And now I'm just itching to go on a cruise. But not this year. Hopefully within the next 2 years.

tumblr_inline_mlxr4iof9e1qz4rgp.gif

Oops - hope you didn't lose too much sleep planning future cruises! :cutie:

Cute! Maybe just some orange sparkle/glitter/beads instead of the orange bow?

Good idea. I'm going to leave it until I know whether or not the costume rule changes for MNSSHP - if it doesn't then I'll definitely add a bit more to these ears.

tumblr_inline_mlxr4iof9e1qz4rgp.gif

Oops - hope you didn't lose too much sleep planning future cruises! :cutie:

To be fair though, I probably didn't NEED to look them up right then. Especially since there's no way it's going to happen this year. But it sure was fun.
Appreciate your apology. You are forgiven.

I tend to make big decisions very quickly.

That's it??? I want dirt! And lots of it!

When buying my last car I spent about 10 minutes reading some articles online, saw a car I thought looked alright, went out that afternoon to the car yard and bought the car without even test driving it.

Holy crap!
Then again, most cars these days are a far cry from the crap that used to be built. So if you see a car that tickles your fancy (or whatever) you're probably safe.

And I could not love my car anymore even if I’d spent hours and hours researching and test driving.

So it worked out. Perfect.

And then we get to my house.

Let's see if you can top us.

I went to two weekends worth of open for inspections, saw a place that fit my needs which was being auctioned the next week and then bought it.

Two whole weekends? Not bad.
We came to Winnipeg and had 6 days to find and buy one.
And we did.

But I think being on the disboards has changed my perspective as I see people changing their plans all the time, moving hotels, changing dates and everything in between.

Nope. Haven't done that yet. Don't really want to.

I cancelled my Boston/Canada cruise – I figure I’d rather have more time to explore this area and it gives me an excuse to plan another trip!

Especially central Canada, right? Right.

I’ll be cruising with Norwegian Cruise Line

I've heard excellent things about NCL.

mi-studio-epic683x226-jpg.152286

Me like. Cozy.

mi-getaway-studiolounge1115-jpg.152285

No way! That's great!

And by booking now I was able to get the ultimate drinks package thrown in free. This is usually $69 a day so that was a pretty decent saving

Hello!

I may change the bow to orange but I haven’t decided yet.

Do it.

Loving your PTR! Just read your dining report & this PTR in the last 2 days while I've been off sick from work, so can't wait for more! Xx

And if I move up again to the deluxe category I could do the Sheraton Park for $863.
ATTACH=full]129515[/ATTACH]​
I realise I'm crazy late to the party but hubby and I stayed at the Sheraton Park during our Disneyland trip in 2010 and it was absolutely the perfect hotel. We had no problems with noise, the staff were super friendly, it was close enough to walk to the park each day without walking a marathon and at night we had a balcony which faced the park, so we got to watch the fireworks from the comfort of our room!!

Loving your PTR! Just read your dining report & this PTR in the last 2 days while I've been off sick from work, so can't wait for more! Xx

Firstly, welcome :welcome:

And second, I hope you're feeling better!

I realise I'm crazy late to the party but hubby and I stayed at the Sheraton Park during our Disneyland trip in 2010 and it was absolutely the perfect hotel. We had no problems with noise, the staff were super friendly, it was close enough to walk to the park each day without walking a marathon and at night we had a balcony which faced the park, so we got to watch the fireworks from the comfort of our room!!

It's never to late to join the party so :welcome:. And thanks for the review of the Sheraton Park - I think I'll be sticking with the Marriott as it works out cheaper but I'll keep it in mind if they release any special packages.

34 Weeks to Go

I did some actual trip planning this week (who’d want a PTR that includes actual planning right?). And I know what you’re thinking.

giphy.gif

Ok ok ok. As I mentioned last update Southwest recently released their flights for October and early November. I had a look on the release day and there weren’t any great specials so I didn’t book anything. I thought I’d have another look earlier this week and noticed that over the course of four days the price for one of my flights had halved. On release day the flight from LA to San Francisco was $113 and when I looked on Thursday it was only $59. So you better believe that I booked it.

So that’s one internal flight down, three to go. I’m having trouble deciding on the next leg which is San Francisco to Miami. I’ve got two options – I can fly on the 15th and spend one night in Miami before the cruise or I can take the red eye and save one night’s hotel costs. My only concern is that the flight gets in at 8:30 on the 16th. I think that is plenty of time, seeing as the cruise doesn’t depart until 4 (and port arrival times are available until 1:30), but I’ve never cruised before so I’m not sure. If anyone has any advice on whether it’s doable to fly in at that time and head straight to the port I’d appreciate it.

tumblr_m7di4li5nn1rys4czo1_400.gif

I was going to do my Drinks around the World plan this week but @BibbitybobityLu covered it so well recently that I might give it a little while before I talk about it – otherwise everyone will be like enough with the foreign alcohol already.

eurotrip-never-drinking-again.gif

But don’t worry there will still be booze in this week’s update.

giphy.gif

I thought I’d share another idea that I’ve seen in passing that I’m tempted to do when I’m staying at Beach Club – and that’s the Boardwalk Boozefest (patent pending).,This is where you imbibe in an adult beverage at every hotel in the Crescent Lake area.

My plan would be to start at the Boardwalk Here there are four places to choose from:
  • Belle Vue Lounge – White Superfruit Sangria - Eppa White Sangria made from organically grown Chardonnay grapes and a blend of Mangosteen, Peach, Mango and Blood Orange juices with a hint of natural citrus essences
  • ESPN Club – The Espy - Absolut Mandrin, Peach Schnapps, Orange and Pineapple Juices, and Sprite
  • Boardwalk Joe’s – Captain’s Seaside Sensation - Pineapple Smoothie with Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
  • Leaping Horse Libations – Tilt-a-whirl - Absolut Citron Vodka, Chambord, and Minute Maid® Light Pomegranate Limeade
I think out of all of those I’m leaning towards the Captain’s Seaside Sensation
50c9bf81a14a8c7003b795840cadb37d.jpg

but the Espy sounds pretty delicious too.
thumb_600.jpg

After the Boardwalk I’d continue around the lake in a clockwise direction stopping at the Swan Hotel. Here the options are:
  • Kimonos Lounge – Pears and Brown Sugar - TRU Organic Vodka, Fresh lemon juice, and house made baby pear purée. Garnished with a brown sugar rim\
  • Il Mulino Lounge – Peach Bellini - A traditional drink with an Il Mulino twist, Fresh Peach Purée, Prosecco and Peach Schnapps
And there is no question what I’ll end up picking – it has to be the pears.

thumb_600.jpg

After the Swan it will be a quick walk (or stumble) over to the Dolphin. There are a few more choices here:
  • Lobby Lounge – Wild Palmer - Absolute Wild Tea Vodka, fresh Lemonade, Iced Tea and Mint
  • Todd English’s Bluezoo Lounge – The Antidote - a spin on the classic gin and tonic we utilize st. george terroir gin, king’s ginger, jack rudy small batch tonic, and hopped grapefruit bitters topped with a lime foam
  • The Fountain – Grasshopper - Minty Chip Ice Cream, Bailey's, Crème de Cocoa, Milk, topped with Whipped Cream, Crème de Menthe & Grasshopper Cookies
  • Cabanas Bar – Dominican Sneak Up - Brugal Dominican Rum, fresh Kiwi, hand-squeezed Lemonade
This is a hard bunch to pick from – the Grasshopper sounds amazing but I’m not sure it’s the best option for a mid way through a bar crawl drink.

e214781ba6e4baa9b57bbc0ca89db887.jpg

So it will probably be the Dominican Sneak Up instead.

6117383-23940361-thumbnail.jpg

The second last stop would be at the Yacht Club. Here you have:
  • Ale and Compass Lounge – Superfruit Sangria - Eppa SupraFruta Red Sangria made from organically grown grapes and an organic blend of antioxidant-rich Pomegranate, Blueberry, Açai, and Blood Orange juices topped with VeeV Açai Spirit
  • Crew’s Cup Lounge – Tropical Infusion - SKYY Infusions Dragon Fruit Vodka, Strawberry Purèe, Pineapple Juice, Coconut, and fresh Lime Juice
Here I’d probably end up picking the Tropical Infusion – no particular reason why.

tropical.jpg

And to round it all off I’d end up at a place where I could stumble back to bed if necessary – the Beach Club. Choices are:
  • Hurricane Hanna’s – Sunken Treasure - Malibu Coconut Rum, Midori Melon Liqueur, Tropical Juices, and Sprite® with a float of Bols Blue Curaçao
  • Martha’s Vineyard - Villa Rose Moscato d'Asti, Piedmont
I’d probably brave the emptiness of Martha’s Vineyard for the Moscato as wines from Piedmont are my absolute favourite). After all that I'll probably end off the night like this

269.gif

swanson-dance.gif

And last but not least, this week’s ears. It’s time to start off the princess collection with a bang with some Rapunzel inspired ears.

DSC01047.JPG

Just a tip on your flights to Miami. As an avid cruise fan I've seen too many people miss cruises by flying in on the day of their cruise. It's just not worth the risk. There could be a strike, bad weather, a hurricane. If you're nervous about it there's a reason. Don't ignore that feeling. Go with the safe option and book your flight for the day before your cruise. Not only will you be playing it safe, you'll also board the ship rested and relaxed after a good night's sleep and be ready to hit the ground running :)
Sounds like an amazing trip and I'll following along as our trip dates are fairly similar :)

Just a tip on your flights to Miami. As an avid cruise fan I've seen too many people miss cruises by flying in on the day of their cruise. It's just not worth the risk. There could be a strike, bad weather, a hurricane. If you're nervous about it there's a reason. Don't ignore that feeling. Go with the safe option and book your flight for the day before your cruise. Not only will you be playing it safe, you'll also board the ship rested and relaxed after a good night's sleep and be ready to hit the ground running :)
Sounds like an amazing trip and I'll following along as our trip dates are fairly similar :)

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that it might be a little risky to fly in day of so you've convinced me that I need to spend the night before in Miami (what a shame right? ;))

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter