I must be crazy! - An October-November 2016 Solo PTR - Update 10/9 2 Weeks to Go - That's a Wrap

I may not have laughed openly at Episodes IV and V but I did think to myself on a number of occasions "seriously, people love this??"

You have to put it into the context of the times.
When it was released, no one had seen anything like it ever before.

You got your Canadian cupcakes before them so I think I've made my allegiances clear...

Ah yes. This is true.

For the first few days of my trip I have put in a request for the Animal Kingdom Villas. I’m hoping to be able to secure a value studio for four days. The value rooms are located in the Jambo House area of AKV only (so there are none in Kidani).

We usually rent points and stay at Animal Kingdom. Haven't gotten a value room yet though (those go quick), but Jambo house and Kidani are both incredible!

Then I’m hoping to move across to Old Key West for the three nights before my cruise. I’ve requested a Deluxe Studio.

Haven't stayed here yet but it's on my list (because I want to stay at every Disney property ...)

And finally for the few days after my cruise I’m hoping to get into Boardwalk Villas. This is the one I am most excited about and am really hoping to get. The location here is my perfect location for WDW, walking distance to Epcot and DHS and obviously the Boardwalk. Here I’m requesting a Deluxe Studio – Standard View.

Haven't stayed here either but I have stayed at the Swan/Dolphin (Thanks, Starwood points) and staying in this area is great!

Well all the time in bed has meant that I’ve managed to read the first five books in the last two days. I’ve had to stop myself from starting the 6th book as I want to save something for later!

I know the feeling :thumbsup2 I was basically the same way when I first read the books.

In a similar vein I purchased all of the Star Wars films to get up to speed before the Force Awakens is released. I had seen bits of the original trilogy but never the whole films and I had seen Episode 1 when it was released in the cinemas. After reading a lot of internet debates I’ve decided to watch them in the Machete order, and have so far watched films 4 and 5, then number 1 and number 2 is on the plan for this evening. That will leave 3 and then finally 6 to sit through before the latest one comes out. Can’t say that I am loving them so far but I’m reserving full judgement until I’ve finished the first two trilogies.

I'm glad someone besides me knows what the Machete order is :rotfl2:Hopefully you won't feel like you've wasted your time in the end!

We usually rent points and stay at Animal Kingdom. Haven't gotten a value room yet though (those go quick), but Jambo house and Kidani are both incredible!

They all look amazing - but not sure I can afford the points necessary for anything other than value. Which is the one downside of travelling on your own - you have to pay for all of everything!

Haven't stayed here yet but it's on my list (because I want to stay at every Disney property ...)

That is an excellent goal to have.

Haven't stayed here either but I have stayed at the Swan/Dolphin (Thanks, Starwood points) and staying in this area is great!

I haven't spent much time in the boardwalk but it did look pretty awesome when I was walking back from B&C to DHS!

I know the feeling :thumbsup2 I was basically the same way when I first read the books.

I may be up to half way through book seven now....

I'm glad someone besides me knows what the Machete order is :rotfl2:Hopefully you won't feel like you've wasted your time in the end!

I stumbled across the Machete order when googling whether I should watch the films in release order or numerical order!

46 Weeks to Go

So today is T-1 days to go until my DVC request is processed so I’m starting to get nervous. I’m not sure what my back up plan will be if I don’t get any of them. I’m sure I can find solutions for one or even two of them split components but I’d hate to try and do all three! So you’ll all know next week whether I’ve had pixie dust for this or not :blush:

I haven’t had time to do any trip planning this week – as you are all probably experiencing; this time of year is crazy! I’m thinking that it won’t be until the New Year until I get back into it again – after Christmas and my trip – so this is going to be an incredibly short update!

I did finish the Harry Potter books; that was one achievement this week. But I haven’t finished the Star Wars movies – too many Christmas films to watch instead :santa:!

And finally, we’re changing parks for this week’s cupcakes and have made our way to Hollywood Studios. These are film inspired (bits of film and labelled canisters in case it isn’t clear!) butterscotch chip cupcakes.

Films.jpg

So today is T-1 days to go until my DVC request is processed so I’m starting to get nervous. I’m not sure what my back up plan will be if I don’t get any of them. I’m sure I can find solutions for one or even two of them split components but I’d hate to try and do all three!

If it doesn't, you certainly have time to review and adjust.
But good luck!

as you are all probably experiencing; this time of year is crazy!

Oh, I've noticed.

so this is going to be an incredibly short update!

An incredible update?!? Woo hoo!!

Wait...

Yay! Love long updates! Means you had fun doing things or disney planning! My friend who is going with us booked her dvc points last week. She ask well didn't get first pick of what she wanted calling day of 11 months. She was a bit floored! !

So anyone passing the time with cupcakes has to be followed! So excited to catch up!

45 Weeks to Go

So as you know this week was going to be a big week when it came to accommodation planning for this trip as it was my 11 month booking window for DVC Rentals.

I woke up bright and early Tuesday morning and scrambled to open up my emails to see what David’s had to say. I’m sad to say that my pixie dust was lacking when it came to my request – they were only able to get me one of the three parts I had requested (and that was the one I was going to have no problem getting – Old Key West). I was unable to get a value at AKV (which didn't surprise me as there are only 8 of them) but I also couldn't get a studio at Boardwalk which I was a bit more surprised at but I suppose it is a highly sought after location during food & wine.

But the lovely team at David’s are very helpful so with my rejection email they sent me a list of other possibilities that I could onsider. So at 6:30 in the morning I was doing some very quick calculations about what these other options would cost me.

The first option was to still stay at AKV but to pay for the Savannah view room. I thought about this but it was a lot of money to stay in a resort that is so far away from any of the parks and nightlife. I could have also stayed at Boardwalk but in the deluxe rooms but again it was a lot dearer.

These other options were, of course, far more expensive than what I had been budgeting. Staying at AKV and BWV was still going to cost me another $300 on top of what I had been planning.

I jumped on the Disney website to see what I would be paying for standard resort rooms during this time. Rooms at values were around $145 a night at Pop (where I stayed last time) and around $230 at the moderates (I priced Caribbean Beach for comparison).

So I did some more quick maths and realized that if I could save another $10 a week up until the trip I could go for the even more deluxe DVC options that David’s were suggesting. And it would be only $20 or so per night more than paying the normal moderate room rates.

Which leads us to where everything has settled. I am officially doing a three part split stay staying in deluxe resorts using rented DVC points! Hooray.:cheer2:

I will be beginning my stay at…drum roll please…
animal_drums.jpg

Wilderness Lodge!
Wilderness Lodhe [84035].jpg

WL Pool.jpg

I will be staying in a DVC studio for the first four nights of my trip.
WL Room.jpg

Wilderness Lodge will be under some renovation but I swear that all the Disney resorts are at some point or another (there was walling up at Pop when I was there) so this doesn’t bother me. If I was to book this room outright on the WDW website it would cost me $1836. By using points I am only paying $996 ($249 a night), so basically I’m saving 46% off :thumbsup2.

Then I’m moving across to Old Key West for the three nights before my cruise.
OK1.jpg

I’ll be staying in a Deluxe Studio.
OK3.jpg

If I was to book this room outright on the WDW website it would cost me $1208.25. By using points I am only paying $420 ($140 a night), so I’m saving 65% off!

And finally for the few days after my cruise I’m going to be staying at the home of my favourite Disney dessert – Beach Club!
beach-club-villas-01.jpg

beach-club-villas-10.jpg

I’ll be staying in a studio and will be able to walk to Epcot and DHS and the boardwalk and can’t you just tell I’m super excited about this one!!!!!

Beach%20Villas%2028.jpg

Paying outright here would have cost me $2124 and using DVC points it is costing me $960 ($240 a night) so that’s a saving of 55% :woohoo:

So although I didn’t have pixie dust when it came to my original request, which was trying to do deluxe for the lowest price possible, I am now all sorted for accommodation for the Orlando part of this trip and can now get down to actual trip planning!

And last but not least, this week’s cupcakes, which are a tribute to the Mad Hatter and his tea party, with earl grey cupcakes.
Mad Hatter.jpg

The first option was to still stay at AKV but to pay for the Savannah view room. I thought about this but it was a lot of money to stay in a resort that is so far away from any of the parks and nightlife.

No normal studios at Kidani??

I could have also stayed at Boardwalk but in the deluxe rooms but again it was a lot dearer

dearer?

Wilderness Lodge!

Here's the resort with the boat! :goodvibes I've always wanted to stay here - a beautiful resort!

So although I didn’t have pixie dust when it came to my original request, which was trying to do deluxe for the lowest price possible, I am now all sorted for accommodation for the Orlando part of this trip and can now get down to actual trip planning!

Everything sounds great, and you have a plan to save which is great as well. I know you're excited to be done with that planning.

When do you leave for your next trip? Soon right?

No normal studios at Kidani??

They had them for part of the stay but it was only $150 more for VWL so I decided to splurge.

Do Americans not use that term? It's British English and means more expensive!

Here's the resort with the boat! :goodvibes I've always wanted to stay here - a beautiful resort!

I'm not really an outdoorsy sort of person but even I think it's a beautiful resort from the pics I've seen ::yes::

When do you leave for your next trip? Soon right?

2 weeks! Just have to get through the next couple of weeks at work and then Christmas and then I go!

They had them for part of the stay but it was only $150 more for VWL so I decided to splurge.

Good choice, I would have done the same. AKL is our home but I hate how far it is away.

Do Americans not use that term? It's British English and means more expensive!

We don't use the term, but it does make sense. When I was reading it, I thought it may have been an autocorrect and you meant to type something else. :)

2 weeks! Just have to get through the next couple of weeks at work and then Christmas and then I go!

That's great! Very small chance I get to visit Hong Kong over the next month. The stars have to align, though! I'm hoping for it!

Those prices are so reasonable for Deluxes. We are booked into Mods and I think that is less per night than we are paying for our December trip (although don't know if you're talking in USD or AUD). Are you worried about the DVC rental process? That's what stopped me from using it, all the 'what ifs'.

Those prices are so reasonable for Deluxes. We are booked into Mods and I think that is less per night than we are paying for our December trip (although don't know if you're talking in USD or AUD). Are you worried about the DVC rental process? That's what stopped me from using it, all the 'what ifs'.

It's all in USD so it's about $330 AUD a night at VWL, $186 AUD at OKW and $320 AUD at BCV. More than I would pay per night for a hotel in Australia but reasonable for Disney. I paid $135 AUD a night for Pop Century back in August so OKW is not much dearer than that (VWL and BCV, well, :rolleyes1)

I'm not worried about the rental process - I think going privately I would be, but using a reputable company like David's means I'm not concerned. I've already linked all the bookings to my MDE and they've all worked so, so far so good :cutie:

Sounds like you have a good plan! We LOVED wilderness lodge. It's my mom's favorite especially at Christmas.

I must say I'm slightly intrigued by the taste of an Earl Gray cupcake haha!

45 Weeks to Go

I don't know how it happened, but I missed this update somehow.
Sorry 'bout dat.

I’m sad to say that my pixie dust was lacking when it came to my request – they were only able to get me one of the three parts I had requested

Boo!

So I did some more quick maths and realized that if I could save another $10 a week up until the trip I could go for the even more deluxe DVC options that David’s were suggesting.

Nice!
And I'm quite impressed with your budgeting skilz.

I will be beginning my stay at…drum roll please…

Wilderness Lodge!

Ooohhhh... Niiiiice.
Always wanted to stay there.

Then I’m moving across to Old Key West for the three nights before my cruise.

Meh. Not a huge fan.
Then again, never stayed there either so what do I know.

And finally for the few days after my cruise I’m going to be staying at the home of my favourite Disney dessert – Beach Club!

One more time!... Niiiiiice.

I’ll be staying in a studio and will be able to walk to Epcot and DHS and the boardwalk and can’t you just tell I’m super excited about this one!!!!!

::yes::

It's subtle, but you can just tell.

Paying outright here would have cost me $2124 and using DVC points it is costing me $960 ($240 a night) so that’s a saving of 55% :woohoo:

Okay. What is this David's that you mention?
Those prices are pretty darn good.

And last but not least, this week’s cupcakes, which are a tribute to the Mad Hatter and his tea party, with earl grey cupcakes.

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but every time I read one of your updates...

I get hungry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter