I must be crazy! - An October-November 2016 Solo PTR - Update 10/9 2 Weeks to Go - That's a Wrap

Close. Not "across". More like down the road.
A mere 3,200kms. That's only 28 hours if you don't stop.
(Done that once, too.)

Why would you do that?

tumblr_ma327q39xN1qcwyxho1_400.gif

I don't know if I'll ever do that.
A long time ago, in a country far, far away (Germany)
My sister wasn't feeling up to a long car ride.
So they gave her something for car sickness.
Worked like a charm. For the first time ever, she got car sick and ralphed (see what I did there?) in the car.

I-See-What-You-Did-There-GIF.gif

I promise not to take them unless I really need them or are really close to a bathroom.

:laughing: And just for fun... I did! And you're right! :lmao:

Let's just hope Ruby doesn't look at your browser history

xqWw6GF.gif

Love is never having to say you're sorry, so take that back!

giphy.gif

That second one didn't work... so.... maybe?

I don't know why but it is fixed now.

Why would you do that?

Young... and one word.... Disney.

I promise not to take them unless I really need them or are really close to a bathroom.

smart.

Let's just hope Ruby doesn't look at your browser history
xqWw6GF.gif

Ha! I'm at work. She'll never know!!!!!

But... why are my co-workers looking at me funny?

Ha! You fell for it!
I've been married for over 25 years now....
Believe me... I know how to say sorry!

I don't know why but it is fixed now.

So it is. And he totally reminds me of another actor... ugh. I can't think of his name right now.
Grrrrr... If I remember I'll post his pic.

Surprise Stay

Are you guys ok? Because I left you all hanging in the last update and I’m sure you arms (or necks) are getting tired ;)

latest

I finally got official confirmation through so I can reveal all. I know you’ve been dying to find out, or you’ve probably not given it a second thought and have been sitting there like this

200_s.gif

but either way

d0204803cdbd13763101347f74621198.gif

But let’s take it back a bit shall we. How did all of this come about? Well I had two days between the end of my cruise (in Boston) and my Universal stay (in Orlando). My original idea was to spend those two days in Boston and just do a bit of cold weather sightseeing. I started to look into hotel options and

tumblr_m1dev5PnKo1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Boston is seriously expensive y’all. Like really expensive. Like third most expensive city in the States (and 2nd if you only go continental states). The average hotel rate is $400 a night. What???? If I wanted to stay anywhere near the centre of Boston (which I’d want to without a car) I was looking at minimum $500 for those 2 nights. And that wasn’t even a decent hotel. Decent hotels (3* and up) were around $250-$300 a night. Hotels near the cruise port were even more expensive at $350 a night and up. Airport hotels were $200 per night. Heck, even the hostel was $80 a night.

I looked into my usual back up option of renting an apartment through AirBnB and guess what? Boston is the most expensive city to rent in on AirBnB. Again I’d be looking at a minimum of $275 ($400AUD) plus cleaning fees and booking fees.

AirBnB prices.jpg

So for a little comparison I decided to see what I could get in Orlando for that price. You know, what any sane person would do. And when I say in Orlando of course I mean at WDW because I’m not staying offsite and I felt three nights at Universal was already enough. Rooms at Pop Century were $138 a night, moderates like CBR and POR/POFQ were around $235 a night and deluxes started at $375 a night. I considered Pop but decided to look into other options before committing.

Those options were doing another DVC rental. As it was two nights only I couldn’t use David’s DVC Rental again (they have a minimum point amount) so I looked into another company I had considered earlier, DVC Rental Store. Their points are slightly more expensive per point but they have no minimum and you have longer to pay it off.

The lowest point options (and therefore costs) were Boardwalk and Animal Kingdom. I’d be happy to stay at either so I put BW as my first preference for a quote and then AK (it was 4 more points). Well they came back to me and said BW was sold out (which doesn’t surprise me because hello, food & wine), but they could try and link me up with a member for Animal Kingdom. I thought about it and decided to do the right thing. Nope not book Pop, but go all out and try for my fourth deluxe resort of the trip!

Which was where I left you guys in the last update. I’d put in the request but was still waiting to see if I could be matched with a member. And guess what? I got matched!!! So I will be spending my first two days in Orlando at Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House. This will be all resort time as I wont have park tickets but I am super excited.

AKV 7.jpg

AKV 6.jpg

AKV 3.jpg

AKV 4.jpg

AKV 5.jpg

Oh, you want to know what it cost me? I have secured a standard view deluxe studio in Jambo House for two nights for $372.

giphy.gif

You’ve picked yourselves up off the floor by now I’m assuming. That was not a typo. I am spending $186 a night for a deluxe resort. Not much more than what I’d be spending at a value and less than what I could get a moderate for. In fact, it is over 50 per cent off booking the same room directly through Disney.

So that was the surprise stay. I hope it was worth your wait because I’m sure it will be worth mine! And now I can get to planning all the fun things I can do there!

I like the way you think. Of course deluxe villa at WDW is better than Boston, especially at such a price!!!

To clarify my last reply, I actually get 4 weeks vacation a year and that time can also spill over. At this point I have around 60 because I didn't take off last year (except for 5 days in Copenhagen) due to being in school. I would love to take all of that at once, but would never get approval for that.

Six weeks! You are one lucky girl! You're going to need to bring a trip itinerary with you just to keep it all straight. We'll be at WDW on Nov. 13th for sure. I'm trying to find some cheap flights so we can arrive on Nov. 11th and stay at AKL, but 7 plane tickets is astronomical so unless prices come down we'll be driving the 17 hours. I'd love to do a DISmeet if we can work it out.

Are you guys ok? Because I left you all hanging in the last update and I’m sure you arms (or necks) are getting tired ;)

Nah. I'm fine. My arms only get tired after flying.

My original idea was to spend those two days in Boston and just do a bit of cold weather sightseeing.

You want cold? Have I got an offer for you!!

I was looking at minimum $500 for those 2 nights. And that wasn’t even a decent hotel. Decent hotels (3* and up) were around $250-$300 a night.

So.... Not decent = minimum $500... but decent = $500???

Oz math is hard.

So I will be spending my first two days in Orlando at Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House. This will be all resort time as I wont have park tickets but I am super excited.

Nice. And there's also the mini-golfs, water parks and Disney Springs to keep you occupied.

Oh, you want to know what it cost me?

How much?

I have secured a standard view deluxe studio in Jambo House for two nights for $372.

Is that a typo?

That was not a typo. I am spending $186 a night for a deluxe resort.

Nice score!

Hey there :wave: Looks like I'm super late to the party...lucky I'm so cool and I can just sneak in...:tiptoe:

image.gif

Nailed it! :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

I thought I would join in as A. Your cupcakes are all super cute (and I appreciate all food), B. you are Australian, and C. you take gentle prods at @pkondz, so you are cool with me ;) :laughing:

Just got caught up with all your plans and all I can say is Holy Wow that is one heck of a trip you got going there :earseek: Six weeks and two cruises? :faint: Amazeballs! ::yes::

image.gif

I love your mini TR from your Hong Kong Disney trip! So cool! You are so well travelled! Not that I'm jealous or anything...:rolleyes1 :laughing:

image.gif

Can't wait to hear all about it :thumbsup2

I like the way you think. Of course deluxe villa at WDW is better than Boston, especially at such a price!!!

In my mind it was either be cold and miserable in a shoebox in Boston or be warm and happy and looking at giraffes, and once you put it that way you don't really have a choice!

To clarify my last reply, I actually get 4 weeks vacation a year and that time can also spill over. At this point I have around 60 because I didn't take off last year (except for 5 days in Copenhagen) due to being in school. I would love to take all of that at once, but would never get approval for that.

Fair enough. There are definitely certain times of year when I'd never get approval but being strategic and putting in a request a year in advance certainly helps.

Six weeks! You are one lucky girl! You're going to need to bring a trip itinerary with you just to keep it all straight. We'll be at WDW on Nov. 13th for sure. I'm trying to find some cheap flights so we can arrive on Nov. 11th and stay at AKL, but 7 plane tickets is astronomical so unless prices come down we'll be driving the 17 hours. I'd love to do a DISmeet if we can work it out.

7 plane tickets does not sound fun. Even the price of one is a little mindboggling. I think I'm lucky here in Australia as our flights tend to be a little more reasonable over similar sorts of distances.

And if you happen to make it to WDW by the morning of the 12th I'd love to do a Dismeet. The more Dismeets the merrier!

Wow, that is crazy expensive in Boston! I actually envy your AK stay without park tickets - there will be so much time to pamper yourself, relax, and really enjoy the resort. Wonderful!

Apparently October is the worst month to be staying in Boston as everyone wants to go to see the fall leaves and it is the start of the college year so people are in town for that too.

It will be different not to have park tickets - but there's so many things to do at AKL that I'm sure I'll be able to fill in the time ;)

Boston is seriously expensive y’all. Like really expensive. Like third most expensive city in the States (and 2nd if you only go continental states). The average hotel rate is $400 a night. What???? If I wanted to stay anywhere near the centre of Boston (which I’d want to without a car) I was looking at minimum $500 for those 2 nights. And that wasn’t even a decent hotel. Decent hotels (3* and up) were around $250-$300 a night. Hotels near the cruise port were even more expensive at $350 a night and up. Airport hotels were $200 per night. Heck, even the hostel was $80 a night.

I visited Boston this summer and I have to agree - hotels in the city were very expensive. Luckily, I had hotel points to cover the costs so we were able to make that happen. Otherwise, no way! But, I did enjoy the city for what it's worth. :goodvibes

I looked into another company I had considered earlier, DVC Rental Store.

Good company, I blogged for them a few times. :thumbsup2

Which was where I left you guys in the last update. I’d put in the request but was still waiting to see if I could be matched with a member. And guess what? I got matched!!! So I will be spending my first two days in Orlando at Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House. This will be all resort time as I wont have park tickets but I am super excited.

Ahhh, that's great! You'll love Animal Kingdom lodge. That's our "home away from home" and my favorite resort to stay in (I'm not sure I'll make it back to Grand Flo anytime soon :rolleyes1). It really feels like you're on two separate trips when staying there. It's a great resort to stay at if you are not doing any parks - great restaurants on site, lots of activities, and that's not even considering sitting out on your balcony (or the viewing areas) and watching the animals. :love: Plus, you can still take a Disney bus / Uber anywhere else you want to check out.

Oh, you want to know what it cost me? I have secured a standard view deluxe studio in Jambo House for two nights for $372.

We rent points too so the cost is usually similar! At that price point, it's an absolute no brainer.

Make sure to grab some Zebra Domes from the Mara (or Boma).

SundayBrunch12912-3.jpg

Nah. I'm fine. My arms only get tired after flying.

Judge-Judy-Eye-Roll-Thumb.gif

You want cold? Have I got an offer for you!!

I'm sure you do...

So.... Not decent = minimum $500... but decent = $500???

Oz math is hard.

Hey don't make fun of me - I've been off sick with a nasty cold and I try and do something nice for you like write and update and then all you do is make me feel bad...
tumblr_lkr8jqqnFG1qagx30.gif

Anyways, what happened is I started writing in AUD (the first $500) and then immediately forgot and switched back to USD for everyone else. So it should have read $340 for the cheap ones and $500 for the decent ones. Apologies for misleading you from my sick bed

cameron-im-dying.gif

Nice. And there's also the mini-golfs, water parks and Disney Springs to keep you occupied.

True.

How much?

how-i-feel-when-i-get-a-great-bargain-at-the-grocery-store-1.gif

Nice score!

I thought so :cutie:

Hey there :wave: Looks like I'm super late to the party

I don't think you can be late when the party is still 38 weeks away :laughing:

...lucky I'm so cool and I can just sneak in...:tiptoe:

View attachment 148669

Nailed it! :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Better late than never, or even worse, early.

tumblr_n1vpk0iLgi1qlvwnco1_250.gif

I thought I would join in as A. Your cupcakes are all super cute (and I appreciate all food), B. you are Australian, and C. you take gentle prods at @pkondz, so you are cool with me ;) :laughing:

d690b18e0eeee6e632f5e005a4347b86.gif

Just got caught up with all your plans and all I can say is Holy Wow that is one heck of a trip you got going there :earseek: Six weeks and two cruises? :faint: Amazeballs! ::yes::

View attachment 148670

Thanks, it is shaping up pretty well :goodvibes

7yOsPVv.gif

I love your mini TR from your Hong Kong Disney trip! So cool! You are so well travelled! Not that I'm jealous or anything...:rolleyes1 :laughing:

View attachment 148671
Can't wait to hear all about it :thumbsup2

Thanks!

I visited Boston this summer and I have to agree - hotels in the city were very expensive. Luckily, I had hotel points to cover the costs so we were able to make that happen. Otherwise, no way! But, I did enjoy the city for what it's worth. :goodvibes

I'm still going to have around a day I think to explore so I should get to see some of it!

Good company, I blogged for them a few times. :thumbsup2

The person I've been dealing with has been great - and they're really responsive even with the time zone differences.

Ahhh, that's great! You'll love Animal Kingdom lodge. That's our "home away from home" and my favorite resort to stay in (I'm not sure I'll make it back to Grand Flo anytime soon :rolleyes1). It really feels like you're on two separate trips when staying there. It's a great resort to stay at if you are not doing any parks - great restaurants on site, lots of activities, and that's not even considering sitting out on your balcony (or the viewing areas) and watching the animals. :love: Plus, you can still take a Disney bus / Uber anywhere else you want to check out.

That's what I'm hoping - I've never been so close to a Disney park before and not gone so it will be a unique experience just having resort days.

Make sure to grab some Zebra Domes from the Mara (or Boma).

SundayBrunch12912-3.jpg

I've seen these a lot on these boards. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these have a coffee liqueur filling? I'm one of those people that hate even the slightest taste of coffee (the smell makes me nauseous too!)

:hyper:

Hey don't make fun of me - I've been off sick with a nasty cold and I try and do something nice for you like write and update and then all you do is make me feel bad...

If you can't kick someone when they're down... then what's the point?

Anyways, what happened is I started writing in AUD (the first $500) and then immediately forgot and switched back to USD for everyone else. So it should have read $340 for the cheap ones and $500 for the decent ones. Apologies for misleading you from my sick bed

Now that I understand. Every time I write a dollar value down, I almost always write it in US dollars, although sometimes I'll put both just to show the ridiculous exchange rate.
Temperatures however, I almost always put in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.

Never seen How I met your Mother....
Until now! Just succumbed to the inevitable and got Netflix.
Been binge watching it.
Season 1 is done!

I've seen these a lot on these boards. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these have a coffee liqueur filling? I'm one of those people that hate even the slightest taste of coffee (the smell makes me nauseous too!)

They do have a coffee taste.
I don't like coffee taste either, but I love these things.
But if the slightest taste turns you off, then... yeah. Might want to pass. You can try 1 if you dine at Boma though. And if you don't like it, there's a whole buffet to choose from.

Love the new plans! Congrats on finding a cruise you liked though I'm super jealous of the long plans!

Great score on the deluxe room! If nothing else you could go resort hop and do Disney Springs!

Yep, that's them. That's unfortunate the taste makes you nauseous, but I'm sure you'll find something nice to snack on. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter