I must be crazy! - An October-November 2016 Solo PTR - Update 10/9 2 Weeks to Go - That's a Wrap

I had a problem until we got to eight days later. The only way I was flying back business class was to extend my trip by that much.

And?

And I did it.

Atta girl.

So now I will have some more time to fill in stateside. Not sure I'll extend my time at WDW (unless I can get a great deal at the Poly!) so any suggestions about where I could go would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently scheduled to be in Orlando until 11/11 and now fly out from LA on 11/20 so hit me with your best ideas!

Hmmm... How are you getting from Orlando to LA?
I presume flying?
You could look into renting a car and driving, but watch out for drop off charges. They can be steep.
I'd look at stopping at New Orleans and Houston (because I'd like to see the Space Museum. Might not be your cup of tea.)
If you're flying to LA, maybe a coastal tour? San Diego, San Francisco of course there's always Hollywood and hmmm... something else in CA... oh yeah Disneyland.
There's a start.

Atta girl.

Hmmm... How are you getting from Orlando to LA?
I presume flying?
You could look into renting a car and driving, but watch out for drop off charges. They can be steep.
I'd look at stopping at New Orleans and Houston (because I'd like to see the Space Museum. Might not be your cup of tea.)

Probably flying - I've looked into driving but not sure how comfortable I'll be driving on the wrong side of the road!

I've been to New Orleans before (which I loved) but never done Houston.

I thought you'd be suggesting Winnipeg.....

If you're flying to LA, maybe a coastal tour? San Diego, San Francisco of course there's always Hollywood and hmmm... something else in CA... oh yeah Disneyland.
There's a start.

Did you forget that I'm already planning on Disneyland at the start of my trip? :cutie:

Probably flying - I've looked into driving but not sure how comfortable I'll be driving on the wrong side of the road!

I get it. That's given me pause as well.
I haven't had any opportunities yet to see how I'd do.

I thought you'd be suggesting Winnipeg.....

Well, if you're do-able, then absolutely!

Whoopsie! I meant to say if it's do-able. Of course.

:rolleyes1

Did you forget that I'm already planning on Disneyland at the start of my trip? :cutie:

Nope.
Thought it might help with the withdrawal symptoms.

::yes:: And I would be either like Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda, or like Chevy Chase in European Vacation where he keeps running into Eric Idle.

vacaeric-o.gif

:laughing:

Cant believe I'm saying this but I think by then I'll be like

Shhhh.... Don't tell anyone, but.... there's a whole country outside of Disney there.

So I was checking my frequent flyer points (airline miles) yesterday and saw that I had finally crossed over the magic number I needed for my return business class flight.

Woot! :dancer:

As you may know with using miles they only offer a limited number of seats and it appears that I had missed out on the one seat on the flight I had been intending to take home. And on the day after that. And that. And that.

This doesn't surprise me. I haven't seriously looked into a award flight to Australia yet (I want to go, just not yet on the horizon ... unless I change my horizon), but from what I read on the blogs, finding business/first award availability from US to Australia is like finding a unicorn.

I had a problem until we got to eight days later. The only way I was flying back business class was to extend my trip by that much.

And I did it.

Don't blame you. I would not look forward to that long of a flight in Economy ... which is a full blown first world problem. :)

Not sure I'll extend my time at WDW (unless I can get a great deal at the Poly!) so any suggestions about where I could go would be greatly appreciated.

It's been a while since I've read your updates, so I can't remember if you were planning on driving to Orlando from LA on your way in.

Maybe take a few days to relax and wind down at a beach town in Florida, or even drive to the Keys?

Maybe check out Chicago or New York (I hear December/Christmas time in NY is beautiful), but I don't know how you feel about the cold (Spoiler: I hate it :)).

Vegas may be fun for a couple of days, you could even drive back to LA from Vegas if you wanted.

I would go back to New Orleans just for the food :love: :drinking1

I'll let you know if I think of any more ideas. :thumbsup2

Being the amazing traveler that are, it's difficult to make suggestions, but my one thought would be to try to see Napa Valley - beautiful scenery and delicious wine all over the place. I'm a bit geographically challenged, but I'd also like to see San Francisco - Golden Gate bridge, Alcatraz tour, and one of my favorite book series started in San Francisco. Or the Grand Canyon?

Napa Valley is definitely one place I'm considering. The plan at this stage is to do San Francisco some time during the 2 weeks I have before Florida and maybe add a few days in Napa (going to French Laundry is on my bucket list :blush:)

Ive been to the Grand Canyon - and as beautiful as it was its probably not a place I need to revisit.

This doesn't surprise me. I haven't seriously looked into a award flight to Australia yet (I want to go, just not yet on the horizon ... unless I change my horizon), but from what I read on the blogs, finding business/first award availability from US to Australia is like finding a unicorn.

From looking there seems to be only one seat available in both first and business class on each flight so once that one seat is sold you're out of lock.

Don't blame you. I would not look forward to that long of a flight in Economy ... which is a full blown first world problem. :)

I suppose that I'm used to that long a flight now so the length doesn't bother me. My main issue is that I cant sleep on planes (usually) so it's a lot of movies to be watching :cutie:

It's been a while since I've read your updates, so I can't remember if you were planning on driving to Orlando from LA on your way in.

Maybe take a few days to relax and wind down at a beach town in Florida, or even drive to the Keys?

Maybe check out Chicago or New York (I hear December/Christmas time in NY is beautiful), but I don't know how you feel about the cold (Spoiler: I hate it :)).

Vegas may be fun for a couple of days, you could even drive back to LA from Vegas if you wanted.

I would go back to New Orleans just for the food :love: :drinking1

I'll let you know if I think of any more ideas. :thumbsup2

Haven't decided on flying or driving yet. Not sure if I'm brave enough to drive on the wrong side of the road (and car) so it will probably be flying but who knows I might find my bravery!

I have never been to Chicago so that could be interesting. I don't love the cold but I can deal with it :cutie:.

I wish I lived in Australia for so many reasons - your vacation time being one of them! I have a friend there who never takes less than 3 weeks off at a time. That's more than I get in an entire year.

Isn't there a Disney vacation club property in SC or somewhere along the East Coast? Maybe you could check it out... I like the idea of going to the Florida Keys like someone else recommended too.

I suppose that I'm used to that long a flight now so the length doesn't bother me. My main issue is that I cant sleep on planes (usually) so it's a lot of movies to be watching :cutie:

Yeah, I'm usually the same way. Even if I am flying business/first and have a lie down seat I can only sleep a few hours. When I flew to Tokyo a couple years back in economy, I stayed up all night, had drugs from my doctor friend to help me sleep/adjust to the time difference, and I could still only sleep a few hours on a 11 hour flight.

Haven't decided on flying or driving yet. Not sure if I'm brave enough to drive on the wrong side of the road (and car) so it will probably be flying but who knows I might find my bravery!

Wrong side? You'll literally and figuratively be driving on the RIGHT side of the road. ;)

I understand about the bravery. When we were driving in Scotland, I got in the back seat of the car and STILL thought we were going to die the first time I saw a car driving from the other side of the road. You eventually get used to it! The turns were the hardest to adjust to.

I have never been to Chicago so that could be interesting. I don't love the cold but I can deal with it :cutie:.

Chicago is my favorite city in America, but I do not think I could handle the winters.

Isn't there a Disney vacation club property in SC or somewhere along the East Coast? Maybe you could check it out.

Hilton Head Island. HHI, Savannah (Georgia), and Charleston (South Carolina) are all beach towns that I've been meaning to visit for the longest times. They also seem to have a little more to see then your regular beach towns, although I don't remember off the top of my head.

Oh, there's also NASA stuff if you're into that! I toured that when I worked at EPCOT - also got to see a shuttle launch early one morning right before my shift started which was very cool.

Last edited:
There's a little DVC in Vero Beach, about an hour and a half away from WDW. I used to work close to it and always drove by the resort and it looked beautiful. Vero is a little small town-ish, if you're looking to do anything outside of the resort, but if you need a guide, I'm about half hour away and still have a handle on the area.

I wish I lived in Australia for so many reasons - your vacation time being one of them! I have a friend there who never takes less than 3 weeks off at a time. That's more than I get in an entire year.

Isn't there a Disney vacation club property in SC or somewhere along the East Coast? Maybe you could check it out... I like the idea of going to the Florida Keys like someone else recommended too.

I'm pretty lucky in that I work for the government where we get 20 days leave each year (if your manager approves it of course). The leave accumulates if you don't use it so some years I only take a week or twos holiday so that the next year I can take a longer trip like this one.

Oh, there's also NASA stuff if you're into that! I toured that when I worked at EPCOT - also got to see a shuttle launch early one morning right before my shift started which was very cool.

I looked into that last year but couldn't make it work that trip. Now that you've reminded me I'll look into it again.

There's a little DVC in Vero Beach, about an hour and a half away from WDW. I used to work close to it and always drove by the resort and it looked beautiful. Vero is a little small town-ish, if you're looking to do anything outside of the resort, but if you need a guide, I'm about half hour away and still have a handle on the area.

Thanks I'll look into it :cutie:

40 Weeks to Go

Alright it’s time to explore Universal Studios Singapore and all it has to offer. I’ll start with the basics. Universal Studios Singapore is located on Sentosa Island and you can walk across a bridge to get there or catch a sky train for $4SGD. A one day adult ticket is $74SGD (I saved a few dollars buying from an online booking site called Klook who also threw in a $5SGD food and a $5SGD shopping voucher). The first difference you’ll notice is the opening hours – no early starts here with the park opening at 10am.

DSC00059_zpsekq5qafd.jpg

DSC00063_zpsquewiby3.jpg

5eb5620e-af83-414d-b03d-0d5413c7a861_zpscczetd1u.jpg

I was there on a week day between Christmas and New Years and it was reasonably busy with people waiting for rope drop. We were held outside the main gates until 9:40 and then held at the ticket scanners until right on 10am. They did a little welcome show with a family of the day and gave out two unlimited express passes to the loudest people in the crowd.

At 10am the gates opened and I was very near the front so I was able to make my way up the main street (Hollywood) pretty quickly.

DSC00099_zpsocnezrju.jpg

My plan was to hit the big rides first while there wouldn’t be a wait. Like Universal Studios Orlando a lot of the bigger rides have compulsory lockers so that was my first stop after making my way to Battlestar Galactica: Human vs Cylon in Sci-Fi City. This is a dueling rollercoaster. Well not just a dueling coaster but the world’s tallest dueling coaster. I chose to ride the human side which is the seated side. It doesn’t do the inversions but is the faster side at 90km/ph. The Cylon side is inverted (the dangly kind). I was the very first person on the ride and had the entire vehicle to myself. It’s a pretty awesome roller coaster and I’d thoroughly recommend riding it if you’re ever there. Plus unlike Dueling Dragons they do actually have both sides competing!

DSC00070_zpsueqqcqxp.jpg

DSC00074_zpsgvhupvvq.jpg

After this I made my way to the next land, Egypt (a whole 10 steps away). I walked straight onto Revenge of the Mummy. The ride is pretty much the same but it is lacking the excellent Brendan Fraser pre-show video. Egypt also has a kids ride called Treasure Hunters which is a drive through in a jeep.

DSC00075_zpscxup4jmk.jpg

After escaping the clutches of Imhotep I made my way into the Lost World (better known as Jurassic Park).

DSC00086_zpspdm8ccdo.jpg

The basics of the ride are the same except for the ride vehicle. Here it is a round raft much like Kali River Rapids and you are pretty much guaranteed to get wet because of this. The key difference here is that instead of slowly making your way up towards the drop the vehicle stops at one point inside the building and actually goes up in what can only be described as a water elevator.

DSC00077_zpsnh9s00d7.jpg

DSC00082_zpspmgdbaqb.jpg

I then made my way onto a ride that I’d been looking forward to seeing as you can’t ride the similar version in Florida. Here it is called Canopy Flyer and it is like Pteranodon Flyer except faster from what I could tell. After getting of this ride it was 11am so I’d managed to fit it quite a bit in the first hour.

DSC00078_zpstapdnkdr.jpg

DSC00084_zpst3j4vv4t.jpg

The next land was one of the two lands that are exclusive to Singapore – Far Far Away. This is the Shrek themed area of the park with a castle (not copying Disney at all….).

DSC00087_zps4zsfxuly.jpg

DSC00096_zpsubwducqw.jpg

The first attraction I went on was a duplication of one in Orlando – Shrek Ever After. This was a carbon copy with no changes. Then I went one of their key attractions the Puss in Boots coaster. The theming here was great but I haven’t seen the film so I’m not sure how accurate it was. This coaster is sort of an in-between coaster – not quite as tame as barnstormer but not as fast as Big Thunder.

DSC00090_zpsr0kh0yek.jpg

After using my $5 voucher to grab a snack (Christmas Tree cake pop) I decided to go see the one big show they had – WaterWorld. That’s right, they have a stunt show based on one of the most criticized films of all time – so there was no way I was not seeing it. It’s basically a stunt show with jet skis, water guns and a plane that crash lands into the theatre. Not bad – terrible acting as all these things are but an enjoyable way to escape the heat for a few minutes.

DSC00104_zps1sfw68bh.jpg

DSC00109_zps2qnsgh7x.jpg

As I was leaving the theatre it started to rain really lightly so I figured it was a perfect time to grab lunch. I ended up at the Discovery Food Court in Jurassic Park. I got some adorable Dino nuggets but had an interesting experience ordering. I’ve given up soda again (I do this every so often) and asked if I could get a water instead. They said no – I said fine I’ll have nothing but they couldn’t work out why I wouldn’t want a coke if it was included. I kept getting told it was free and my response was always I don’t drink soda. Fun times!. Anyway I grabbed a bottle of water from the cabinet happy to pay the extra but the lady ended up removing the cost of the soda from the meal anyway so it was only $1 more. The kids meal was $11SGD to give you an idea of pricing.

DSC00112_zpsjktuoilj.jpg

I headed back into Far Far Away to make my way to the next land (the park is a circle with a lake in the middle) and saw that Shrek and Fiona were doing a M&G. The line only had 5 or so people in it so I hopped in. The interaction was great and Shrek was hilarious.

DSC00117_zpsqy9vqtdl.jpg

DSC00115_zpsli7zjiju.jpg

After this I walked through the other original area – Madagascar. The theming here was great. I wanted to go on some of the rides but by this time of the day the waits were up to 75 to 100 minutes so I skipped it for now.

DSC00098_zps4dai9eq2.jpg

DSC00126_zpso1oohx6x.jpg

DSC00121_zpstvnyt5dw.jpg

I headed back around to Hollywood and on into New York. Then I went into what I suppose is there equivalent of Disaster x Twister. It’s called Lights, Camera, Action! and is hosted by a very morose Steven Spielberg. This is absolutely terrible but hey at least I know how they create a hurricane in a New York City wharf!

DSC00132_zpsun7fkosy.jpg

It was about 2pm and it was stupid hot so I lined up at a quick service counter to grab a slushie drink. Well I almost lost my cool here as it took half an hour to move the 5 or so people in front of me up to the counter and when I got there they apparently didn’t make those drinks anymore despite advertising them all of the menu and the side of the building. I managed to not take it out on the employee but it did convince me that I needed an afternoon break.

I left the park and headed back to the hotel for a nap. After having dinner at a restaurant on Sentosa Island I made my way back into the park at around 7:30pm. I headed straight back into Madagascar to see what the wait times were – and they were down to 5 minutes so I was glad I waited. The main ride there is the Crate Adventure. I’d describe this as a cross between It’s a Small World, Splash Mountain (for the animatronics) and Winnie the Pooh. You basically board a boat and go through the storyline from Madagascar – not particularly thrilling but the detailing was good (I was glad I hadn’t waited 75 minutes earlier in the day).

DSC00127_zpsmmiko25y.jpg

DSC00125_zpsdte71o0z.jpg

I then walked back around to SciFi City to ride something that I had skipped in Orlando – Transformers. I’m not a huge motion simulator fan (my stomach doesn’t seem to enjoy them) but this was basically the same ride as Spiderman. Glad I’ve done it once but not something I have to rush back for every time.

To end up the day I walked around and looked at the Christmas light show they were projecting onto the New York streetscape. It was very pretty but a few minutes were enough (it’s no Wishes). By then it was 8:30 – I contemplated staying for the fireworks but I was exhausted. I quickly YouTubed them to see if it would be worth staying but they didn’t look great so I made my way outside the park and back home.

DSC00129_zpsev9wcdx4.jpg

DSC00184_zpsnnmorcuo.jpg

DSC00186_zpse9xhvaqe.jpg

DSC00185_zpsmalerpyw.jpg

So there you go – that is your overview of Universal Studios Singapore. I rode the majority of the rides, saw all the shows and tried out a few dining experiences. If you’ve never been to Singapore before I don’t know if I would make this a priority but if you were there on a second or third visit like I was it is definitely a fun way to spend the day.

Next week I’ll walk you through my equal favourite theme park in the world – Hong Kong Disneyland.

That is awesome! I would go there just for Battlestar Galactica! I loved that show so much when it was on and still get hooked into binge watching it. Great report!

two unlimited express passes to the loudest people in the crowd.

Sounds awful :headache::ssst:

. Well not just a dueling coaster but the world’s tallest dueling coaster. I chose to ride the human side which is the seated side. It doesn’t do the inversions but is the faster side at 90km/ph. The Cylon side is inverted (the dangly kind). I was the very first person on the ride and had the entire vehicle to myself. It’s a pretty awesome roller coaster and I’d thoroughly recommend riding it if you’re ever there.

Haven't watched Battlestar Galatica yet ...one of these days!

Plus unlike Dueling Dragons they do actually have both sides competing!

I miss this. So much of the thrill is thinking you were going to hit the other riders.

I walked straight onto Revenge of the Mummy. The ride is pretty much the same but it is lacking the excellent Brendan Fraser pre-show video

I then made my way onto a ride that I’d been looking forward to seeing as you can’t ride the similar version in Florida. Here it is called Canopy Flyer and it is like Pteranodon Flyer except faster from what I could tell.

I've always wanted to ride this in Orlando!

This is the Shrek themed area of the park with a castle (not copying Disney at all….)

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:That's Shrek, Dreamworks, and Jeffery Katzenburg for ya.

That’s right, they have a stunt show based on one of the most criticized films of all time – so there was no way I was not seeing it. It’s basically a stunt show with jet skis, water guns and a plane that crash lands into the theatre. Not bad – terrible acting as all these things are but an enjoyable way to escape the heat for a few minutes.

I remember seeing this movie in the theaters when it came out and I loved it. I'm afraid to watch it again, because it will probably ruin my memory of it being good. :rotfl:

Didn't you get the memo of Christmas accessories?

I headed back around to Hollywood and on into New York. Then I went into what I suppose is there equivalent of Disaster x Twister. It’s called Lights, Camera, Action! and is hosted by a very morose Steven Spielberg. This is absolutely terrible but hey at least I know how they create a hurricane in a New York City wharf!

I LOVED Disaster, it was so corny it always made me smile. I hate that Orlando is replacing it with a Fast/Furious attraction, but hopefully it will be good.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see Twister go. Saw it when it was new in 2002 and thought it was awful.

Glad you had a nice time!

Alright it’s time to explore Universal Studios Singapore and all it has to offer.

Oh boy! Let's go!

A one day adult ticket is $74SGD

Interesting to note. Since I (as a lot of your readers, I suspect) had no clue how much $74SGD was, I looked up the conversion rates.
I was very surprised to see that $1AUS = $1CDN = $1.01SGD.
Sure makes converting easy!

Oh, and $1USD = $1.45AUS if anyone else is reading this.

The first difference you’ll notice is the opening hours – no early starts here with the park opening at 10am.

Not as busy?

I was there on a week day between Christmas and New Years and it was reasonably busy

Sounds like not as busy. That's usually insanely busy time at WDW.

They did a little welcome show with a family of the day and gave out two unlimited express passes to the loudest people in the crowd.

Note to self. Bring bull horn.

Well not just a dueling coaster but the world’s tallest dueling coaster.

Oh, really?
So let's see... One round trip ticket Winnipeg to Singapore... about $1,300.

Might be worth it.

I chose to ride the human side which is the seated side. It doesn’t do the inversions but is the faster side at 90km/ph.

Not tempted to ride both sides? Or are they similar enough that it doesn't matter? (other than the inversion part)

Plus unlike Dueling Dragons they do actually have both sides competing!

Nice. Way more fun that way.

Nice! Did you do that yourself? What post processing software did you use?

The key difference here is that instead of slowly making your way up towards the drop the vehicle stops at one point inside the building and actually goes up in what can only be described as a water elevator.

I've seen that somewhere. On someone's TR at a waterpark. Can't remember where though.

This is the Shrek themed area of the park with a castle (not copying Disney at all….).

A castle? In a theme park?
Novel idea.

Seems wider than Disney's though.

I decided to go see the one big show they had – WaterWorld. That’s right, they have a stunt show based on one of the most criticized films of all time

That's just... odd.

so there was no way I was not seeing it.

:laughing: You go, girl!

I’ve given up soda again (I do this every so often)

I've done that.
But I just love it too much.

Oh, well. Like Ruby likes to point out: "I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. This is my vice so leave me alone."

and asked if I could get a water instead. They said no – I said fine I’ll have nothing but they couldn’t work out why I wouldn’t want a coke if it was included. I kept getting told it was free and my response was always I don’t drink soda. Fun times!.

:laughing: This reminds me of something... A movie? TV show? Where a boy persistently shines someone's shoe (while he's standing, unbeknownst to him) then keeps demanding payment. Maybe that was an Indy movie? Don't remember.

The interaction was great and Shrek was hilarious.

DSC00115_zpsli7zjiju.jpg

:laughing:

Pretty!
And look at that smile! You were obviously having a good day! :goodvibes

I wanted to go on some of the rides but by this time of the day the waits were up to 75 to 100 minutes so I skipped it for now.

:eek: Nope!

hosted by a very morose Steven Spielberg

Not surprising.
The dude can direct, but he ain't no actor.

It was about 2pm and it was stupid hot so I lined up at a quick service counter to grab a slushie drink. Well I almost lost my cool here as it took half an hour to move the 5 or so people in front of me up to the counter and when I got there they apparently didn’t make those drinks anymore despite advertising them all of the menu and the side of the building.

"Welcome to Slushie-World! Home of the ten foot slushie statue!"
"Wow! Thanks! Can I have a slushie?"
"No! We don't serve those! We only do hot dogs!"

I managed to not take it out on the employee

Language barrier, huh?

but it did convince me that I needed an afternoon break.

Probably a better option anyway.
If less satisfying.

I left the park and headed back to the hotel for a nap.

I can picture that too.
You mentioned it was stupid hot.
We never went back to our room, but I can imagine how nice it must've been to curl up and snooze for a bit in an air conditioned bedroom.

I headed straight back into Madagascar to see what the wait times were – and they were down to 5 minutes so I was glad I waited.

What happened?!?!? Where'd everybody go???

The main ride there is the Crate Adventure. I’d describe this as a cross between It’s a Small World, Splash Mountain (for the animatronics) and Winnie the Pooh. You basically board a boat and go through the storyline from Madagascar – not particularly thrilling but the detailing was good (I was glad I hadn’t waited 75 minutes earlier in the day).

Hmmm.... Parts of me are recoiling in horror (part "Small World") while parts of me are intrigued.

To end up the day I walked around and looked at the Christmas light show they were projecting onto the New York streetscape. It was very pretty but a few minutes were enough

Sounds pretty... and also sounds like something that would we quickly seen and left.

So there you go – that is your overview of Universal Studios Singapore.

Thanks so much for that Jessica! :)

Next week I’ll walk you through my equal favourite theme park in the world – Hong Kong Disneyland.

Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter