"I"m Only Going Because My Teacher Told Me To" Nov. 2016 PTR * update 12/2 TRIP REPORT STARTED! *

So sorry you had to go through all that stress! I completely understand - we thought we might have to cancel our trip too due to my MIL & sFIL's health issues and I was so depressed! Luckily everything is ok now. It's hard when you put so much time and effort and emotion and Disney excitement into something to just have it possibly be taken away. I'm glad you guys got things figured out and wish Ricky the best of luck on tryouts! :)

OMG...you had me stressing out through that whole thing! I'm so glad that it should work out for you, regardless, and even though I don't know Ricky from Adam - well except through your reports and your photos/posts on FB...lol - I truly hope he makes the team so that he will be happy!

I guess it does make for some planning issues though I'm sure you'all get it all figured out.

Btw, I've decided to buy myself a Disney D&B for my bday! Most likely, it will be a gently used one as I don't think I can shell out for a new one, but I am attempting to sell an unused Coach and if I do, I may just have enough for a brand new one. I'm currently looking at the Sketch pattern, in the medium tote size.

Yikes! I just caught up! I can't even attempt to quote because I'll mess it up, but…

Your son looked so handsome for the dance! I't nice to see them caring about their appearance and looking all spiffy :-)

I was going to comment and say forget about the AK Fastpasses and just do RD. We did this last December and saved FP for later in the day at MK. We got on everything we wanted, EE, ITTBAB, characters, etc. I don't remember if we did Kali or if it was too cold for that, but I think if you are there early you can get it all done and save your FP for MK later.

And lastly, OMG! Such stress about the basketball team and maybe having to cancel your trip. I'm glad you have it all figured out now. These sports are a little ridiculous now that the kids are older and the coaches really stress the kids out. I don't know if that's always a good thing. We (as parents) at this point have so very little time left with them to just be together as a family. It's not like he'd be missing practice for no good reason. Anyway…I am glad your plans seem to be working out and you will be able to spend Thanksgiving together as a family. DD was going through something similar to this with dance. We had a cruise booked for next June and her dance instructors were giving her a hard time about going. I finally got it all worked out but then I had to cancel our cruise anyway :sad::sad::sad: I am a little sad but it's for a very good reason…we are moving to a bigger, nicer house and we will have an unground swimming pool that will be just opening up at that time. I figured we could use that cruise money for new furniture and just enjoy our new pool next summer :love:

Anyway, finger crossed that he makes the team! Don't worry too much about it. These things always have a way of working themselves out ::yes::

And by the way, I have never had that School Bread snack that you rave about. Is it sweet or savory? Is that whipped cream or butter on top? I may have to try it…it looks interesting!

So much stress about basketball! I remember that sport causing me all kinds of stress in grade 9, but that probably had more to do with me getting in my only fight ever with a girl on my team in practice one day (she was wearing a necklace she had stole from my house and I wanted it back) :rolleyes1. Hopefully Ricky makes the team though if that will make him happy!

I'm so glad everything worked out and you'll have a plan no matter what the outcome of tryouts are! I'm sure you and Chris will have a great few days alone in Disney if it comes to that!

So sorry you almost had to cancel your trip, I can understand why you weren't excited with that going on. My boyfriend can be a procrastinator too so I have to take the plans into my own hands most of the time :laughing:

I'm glad you resolved it though! And I hope Ricky makes the team. I'm looking forward to your review of the HS show and dessert party before we go!

It doesn't bother me either that they temporarily canceled SW fireworks for this. (I think they'll come back after the holidays anyway).
Yes the SW fireworks are actually coming back on NYE, but boy are there alot of angry people who wanted to see them on the dates that Jingle Jam is happening now lol! But hey - yay for you and me :cheer2:I'm really, really excited about it!!!

I felt such relief after Steve booked the Tues. flight :scared: Obviously it wouldn't have been the end of the world if we didn't go and we would have rescheduled as opposed to cancelling, but still. Even rescheduling a Disney trip sucks.

Slightly happy :-) I'm not as bad as you but I could never make it through the ride without closing my eyes. But on the new one, I did without any trouble. I think the quality of the new movie makes a big difference.
Ooh that's good to hear! I'd be pretty happy if I could keep my eyes open.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
f286d710-d970-0131-bf96-0eb233c768fb-jpg.201273
This is freaking hysterical!!

This is our favorite place to watch them too. It's awesome when the fireworks are all around you and even more awesome you don't have to deal with all the crowds.
::yes:: When we accidentally watched there we weren't even planning to watch that night, mainly due to not wanting to find a spot in the big crowd. Fantasyland back there was empty! I better stop talking about it or everyone will be there next time........

I was just reading the Disney Tourist Blog review of BoG and they were raving over the mussels. Now I'm totally craving some
You know what stinks - not for me but for Ricky? Our dinner there is for Tues. night and if he and Steve come down late, they won't get in until after midnight Tues. so he'll miss the mussels. He'll also miss the mussels at Cape May Cafe and Mama Melrose I planned for him. There's always a chance I can snag a BOG for a night he's there now that I'm (another) Queen of Spontaneity, but over Thanksgiving week? IDK.........

Glad to hear all of the basketball drama has been worked out. I'm sure its been stressful mulling over the what ifs.
I really truly hate sports

And if Steve and Ricky can't get down there for a few days, then Casey and I will just join you :P
Beach Club baby! And then you can get some BOG mussels :thumbsup2

Thank goodness everything worked out!!!!
Me too!

So sorry you had to go through all that stress! I completely understand - we thought we might have to cancel our trip too due to my MIL & sFIL's health issues and I was so depressed! Luckily everything is ok now. It's hard when you put so much time and effort and emotion and Disney excitement into something to just have it possibly be taken away. I'm glad you guys got things figured out and wish Ricky the best of luck on tryouts! :)
I'm very happy your MIL and FIL's health issues are better! That's a little more serious than sports issues. But yes, being so close to a trip and then possibly having to cancel really sucks. And as much as I want all of us there for the whole trip I really want Ricky to make the school team, and I think it'll be nice to spend a few days alone with Chris, so either way I'll be good :thumbsup2

OMG...you had me stressing out through that whole thing! I'm so glad that it should work out for you, regardless, and even though I don't know Ricky from Adam - well except through your reports and your photos/posts on FB...lol - I truly hope he makes the team so that he will be happy!

I guess it does make for some planning issues though I'm sure you'all get it all figured out.

Btw, I've decided to buy myself a Disney D&B for my bday! Most likely, it will be a gently used one as I don't think I can shell out for a new one, but I am attempting to sell an unused Coach and if I do, I may just have enough for a brand new one. I'm currently looking at the Sketch pattern, in the medium tote size.
Ha ha, I figured since I'd been stressed out I'd stress all of you out :bitelip: But yes, either way I'll be happy. Chris is a bit nervous about the possibility of flying without Steve (not sure why, it's not like I've ever crashed a plane......) but I keep reminding him that Ricky got to vacation with Steve and I before he was born so this is his chance to go away without his brother. Thank you for the well wishes for Ricky :goodvibes He is truly very serious about basketball but it's very competitive at his school so I'm going to be biting my nails from now until the 17th!
Oh and I saw your post on FB about the Coach bag for sale! Good luck! I like Coach bags and have had a couple in the past. I might have even bought it from you if I wasn't hoping to buy another D&B next month :rolleyes1

So much stress! But I'm really glad it's all shaping up in a way that you're happy with!
Thank you! Good idea sticking with cats Billie. They can stress you out but not as much as kids! And like male cats boys don't always have good aim so I'm not winning on that front, either :sad2:

Yikes! I just caught up! I can't even attempt to quote because I'll mess it up, but…

Your son looked so handsome for the dance! I't nice to see them caring about their appearance and looking all spiffy :-)

I was going to comment and say forget about the AK Fastpasses and just do RD. We did this last December and saved FP for later in the day at MK. We got on everything we wanted, EE, ITTBAB, characters, etc. I don't remember if we did Kali or if it was too cold for that, but I think if you are there early you can get it all done and save your FP for MK later.

And lastly, OMG! Such stress about the basketball team and maybe having to cancel your trip. I'm glad you have it all figured out now. These sports are a little ridiculous now that the kids are older and the coaches really stress the kids out. I don't know if that's always a good thing. We (as parents) at this point have so very little time left with them to just be together as a family. It's not like he'd be missing practice for no good reason. Anyway…I am glad your plans seem to be working out and you will be able to spend Thanksgiving together as a family. DD was going through something similar to this with dance. We had a cruise booked for next June and her dance instructors were giving her a hard time about going. I finally got it all worked out but then I had to cancel our cruise anyway :sad::sad::sad: I am a little sad but it's for a very good reason…we are moving to a bigger, nicer house and we will have an unground swimming pool that will be just opening up at that time. I figured we could use that cruise money for new furniture and just enjoy our new pool next summer :love:

Anyway, finger crossed that he makes the team! Don't worry too much about it. These things always have a way of working themselves out ::yes::

And by the way, I have never had that School Bread snack that you rave about. Is it sweet or savory? Is that whipped cream or butter on top? I may have to try it…it looks interesting!
Wow, congratulations on your new house! We moved almost 4 years ago, it's so exciting :goodvibes:goodvibes And while on the one hand sad about cancelling the cruise it is definitely a good reason. You can always reschedule the cruise!
Thank you for your nice comment about Ricky and his dance. I know you know this, but ugh, how fast they grow up :( And the sports thing is a bit crazy. Around here it's even worse with football and starts at elementary school age. Steve completely agrees with you that the coaches should understand he'll be missing practice for a good reason, and I'm sure they'll act like they're ok with it, but then you never know what'll happen once the games start. I even know one of the coaches as his youngest son went to pre-school with Chris, but if I approached him with this and Ricky found out he wouldn't be happy lol!

School bread :love: It's sweet! The closest thing I can compare it to is a donut but it's not. It's not as soft on the outside; a little harder like a croissant but sweeter. The cream has cardamom in it; I used to think it was almost bavarian-creme like but it's not that sweet, but still sweet. It's on the top and also inside, and there's both toasted and non-toasted coconut on the top. I know, not that great of a description right? But you must put it on your list to try!

So much stress about basketball! I remember that sport causing me all kinds of stress in grade 9, but that probably had more to do with me getting in my only fight ever with a girl on my team in practice one day (she was wearing a necklace she had stole from my house and I wanted it back) :rolleyes1. Hopefully Ricky makes the team though if that will make him happy!

I'm so glad everything worked out and you'll have a plan no matter what the outcome of tryouts are! I'm sure you and Chris will have a great few days alone in Disney if it comes to that!
Believe me, Ricky has come close to fighting other boys over basketball but not over a stolen necklace :rotfl2:He's excellent on offense and gets very physical and gets VERY into the game. But we've seen fights on the girls basketball teams over things similar to your necklace incident!
I'm actually looking forward to possibly spending a few days alone with Chris :) And if Ricky doesn't make the team and we all go down together as scheduled, it'll be good for Ricky to be away since he won't be in the best mood.......

So I've just caught up again! Old news now, but I'd stick with the AK FP+, as pretty much everyone else said. However, I might consider switching to MK IF the opening does move to 8:00am, since you'll have the extra morning time and could probably get a lot done during it.

We also caught Wishes back by the carousel accidentally once and it was a gorgeous view. However, I like Celebrate the Magic even more than Wishes, so we can't watch from the back since we'll miss the pre-show.

So sorry for all of your stress! I know how that goes! Cora ended up having an ice skating competition the same day we were leaving for our first trip and it messed me up! We ended up getting a morning ice time and heading out in the afternoon. Your dilemma sounds much worse, since it's at the high school level and could have cancelled your whole trip. So glad you've gotten it worked out!

Wow about your last minute flight changes! Glad you got everything worked out and it sounds like either way it will be fine. Hope Ricky makes the team!

So I've just caught up again! Old news now, but I'd stick with the AK FP+, as pretty much everyone else said. However, I might consider switching to MK IF the opening does move to 8:00am, since you'll have the extra morning time and could probably get a lot done during it.

We also caught Wishes back by the carousel accidentally once and it was a gorgeous view. However, I like Celebrate the Magic even more than Wishes, so we can't watch from the back since we'll miss the pre-show.

So sorry for all of your stress! I know how that goes! Cora ended up having an ice skating competition the same day we were leaving for our first trip and it messed me up! We ended up getting a morning ice time and heading out in the afternoon. Your dilemma sounds much worse, since it's at the high school level and could have cancelled your whole trip. So glad you've gotten it worked out!
Yeah, I think I'm going to do what you said. They extended hours for Thanksgiving week but so far no earlier AK openings, but last year the 8am's didn't show up until about 3 weeks out so it could still happen.
It's amazing that the sports nonsense starts so young, isn't it :sad2: I do agree it's worse on the HS level but it's still extremely stressful when they're young, and I think more unexpected. Also at the HS level it gets political which is ridiculous. But thank you for your well wishes for Ricky! A month from today we should find out; even though the Disney stress is less the basketball stress is still on lol!

Wow about your last minute flight changes! Glad you got everything worked out and it sounds like either way it will be fine. Hope Ricky makes the team!
I know right :scared: I find it hard to believe lots of people would book holiday flights a few days before the actual holiday, but I was watching those seats fill up quickly over the last couple weeks and I feel SO much better now that they're booked either way regardless of what happens :thumbsup2

I'm so happy things worked out and the trip is definitely happening! Crossing my fingers that Ricky makes it on the team.

Yeah, I think I'm going to do what you said. They extended hours for Thanksgiving week but so far no earlier AK openings, but last year the 8am's didn't show up until about 3 weeks out so it could still happen.
It's amazing that the sports nonsense starts so young, isn't it :sad2: I do agree it's worse on the HS level but it's still extremely stressful when they're young, and I think more unexpected. Also at the HS level it gets political which is ridiculous. But thank you for your well wishes for Ricky! A month from today we should find out; even though the Disney stress is less the basketball stress is still on lol!

I will be sending out making-the-team vibes for Ricky! Less than a month until you will know! It's such a fine line we can walk with their sports and activities. In my case I celebrate them doing well and get excited if they show passion about something, but then part of me also mourns the loss of free time that will inevitably come with it. I am scared to even imagine what it will look like when they're in high school!

Wow I feel like I just went on an emotional roller coaster with your post. I won't attempt to quote anything. :badpc:
Glad everything is semi-worked out that the trip will go on. It stinks if he makes the team you won't have a whole week as a family for vacation but it would also stink if he didn't make the team. I completely understand the whole sports schedule difficulty. We had no problem going when I was younger up until 6th grade. Once I was in 7th grade and playing school ball it was pretty much September- January. Then as soon as basketball was over it was right into softball. Once softball was finished we started tryouts/workouts for basketball again. Then once school was out we went to individual basketball camps, team camps and workouts all summer. Literally all year long for 6 years. School coaches are not very understanding compared to other leagues. But if for some reason it is just you and Chris for the first half of the trip y'all are more than welcome to hang out with our crazy bunch!

So glad everything is working itself out. Hopefully he makes the team and then you can enjoy your family time together when they arrive.

I'm glad things worked out. My 14 year old is in a snit because she found out that she is missing a field trip she wants to go on because we will be at WDW. Geez.

I'm so happy things worked out and the trip is definitely happening! Crossing my fingers that Ricky makes it on the team.
:thanks: I appreciate it! We'll see how it goes......it's very stressful! At the very least if he doesn't make it, whisking him away will hopefully help take his mind off it.

Wow I feel like I just went on an emotional roller coaster with your post. I won't attempt to quote anything. :badpc:
Glad everything is semi-worked out that the trip will go on. It stinks if he makes the team you won't have a whole week as a family for vacation but it would also stink if he didn't make the team. I completely understand the whole sports schedule difficulty. We had no problem going when I was younger up until 6th grade. Once I was in 7th grade and playinit!g school ball it was pretty much September- January. Then as soon as basketball was over it was right into softball. Once softball was finished we started tryouts/workouts for basketball again. Then once school was out we went to individual basketball camps, team camps and workouts all summer. Literally all year long for 6 years. School coaches are not very understanding compared to other leagues. But if for some reason it is just you and Chris for the first half of the trip y'all are more than welcome to hang out with our crazy bunch!
Yes, something stinks either way lol. As much as having the whole week with all of us together would be nice, my preference of course is to have him make the team - it means the world to him as I'm sure you understand. It's just SO HARD :( Even though he's my son I will say he's an excellent player; he plays year 'round and is known by the school coaches already for many reasons. The only things against him are 1. his height and 2. the fact that so many other freshman are already close to if not over 6'! It's crazy, kids he went to preschool with who were smaller than him are 6 inches taller than him now lol. And you also know how much that helps in basketball, whether you're better than a shorter kid or not doesn't necessarily matter. So like I said above we'll see and my fingers are crossed! The fact that he was "invited" with only 5 other freshman to join in the JV/V workouts in addition to the open gym days that all freshman are invited to seems like a plus but I know is no guarantee.

So glad everything is working itself out. Hopefully he makes the team and then you can enjoy your family time together when they arrive.
Thanks :hug: Of course if he's not down there for the whole week, it's a good excuse to jump right on planning our next family trip :rotfl:

I'm glad things worked out. My 14 year old is in a snit because she found out that she is missing a field trip she wants to go on because we will be at WDW. Geez.
It's always something with the teenagers :rolleyes: Basketball aside Ricky didn't want to miss a day of PE because you have to make it up either before school or after for 30 minutes. For our whole trip he'd only miss 2 days of school which would mean 1 day of PE; I told him I wouldn't cancel a whole trip for 30 minutes of PE he'd have to make up!
I'm sure your daughter will forget all about the field trip once your in WDW!!

Even though he's my son I will say he's an excellent player; he plays year 'round and is known by the school coaches already for many reasons. The only things against him are 1. his height and 2. the fact that so many other freshman are already close to if not over 6'!
I am sure he is good if the coaches invited him! I know the struggle of being the shortest on the team. Doesn't matter if he is shorter than the rest he just will have to make up with it by out hustling the others and working on his ball handling skills so he can fly past everybody down the court. Then he will realize heighth isn't everything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter