i love disney transport,am i sick?

garylpn

son of a son of a sailor
maybe because we tend to go at more off peak times, but dw and i love using the disney transport system, we rarely find the bus wait annoying, have met a lot of nice fellow disney addicts on the transport, we gave up renting cars in 95 when it sat unused for 8 out of 10 days in the poly parking lot
i spent 22 years looking out at the world through a windshield so i really enjoy letting someone else do the driving
and i've found the key is being flexible, think where am i now, what theme parks are still open, and where am i going, we just jump on the first bus to a park or a resort and hub through there, we allow enough time and just relax, after all, we be on vacation dude, hakuna matata, gave up commando planning years ago, rarely have more than 1-2 ps in a week long trip, prefer to think of it as jumping into the disney river each day to see where it takes us
anyone else out there doing it the same way
pirate:

No, you're not sick. :D

Our family also enjoys Disney transport. The boats and monorail are the most fun but buses are fine too. We're quite laid back and don't mind sitting at a bus stop chatting with the other guests. We've driven arround before and I think the hassle of parking (esp. at MK) is just too much.

We agree. The transportation system is fine for us. We stay at BWV most and walk to Epcot and MGM and thru Epcot to the monorail for MK (if we're not going at park opening). I guess the only time we don't enjoy the buses is when it's standing room only and packed late at night. We generally aren't on any kind of schedule.

I am in complete agreement with you. It is the most relaxing way to go. After five trips, it still utterly amazes me that no matter where we are going, by boat or bus, how organized it all is. It is so amazing to me how they transport thousands of people each day with such ease. I take it all in stride as well. The wait doesn't bother me.

Originally posted by garylpn
i spent 22 years looking out at the world through a windshield so i really enjoy letting someone else do the driving

I agree. That is a big part of the vacation for me now. Not having to touch a steering wheel while on vacation is pure luxury. I never rent a car anymore and let Disney haul me around the world. :)

My DH and I love the Disney transport system as well. We have met so many nice people over the years. Since we are in WDW at least once a year or more, we don't mind waiting. Generally, when we travel in off season, the waits aren't bad at all. DH loves not having to watch traffic and letting someone else do the driving. And me....I'm just happy to be on WDW property!

I have to agree with the sicko.:crazy: I have no probelms with Disney Transport.

I rented a car while staying at Poly in 1997 and it sat in the parking lot for a week, just like the other person. I did not recognize it when I had to get it out of the lot to go back to the airport.

I did rent in 2003, but I needed the vehicle for grocery shopping & going to Downtown Disney while staying at Old Key West.

But Disney Transporation is fairly easy for me.::MickeyMo

I agree; my husband and I rented a car on one trip to WDW, and will never do it again. The car sat in the Dixie Landings parking lot the entire trip; what a waste of money. Flexibility is the key, as the OP mentioned. We stay at the BWV usually and have learned to get off the bus at the Swan(or Dolphin, which ever is first on the route) and walk across the bridge to the BWV. We love the boat rides, so relaxing, and the monorails are my DS's favorite. So add us to the crazy lot. :crazy:

That is one of the things we love.. maybe we'll rent a car when we have kids... but for now... let someone else fight the traffic.. we'd rather just sit back and relax.

We don't rent a car any more, either. But we do sometimes choose a specific destination, and when the bus system takes forever (as happened last November when it took 2 hours to get from WL to DD), we can't just shrug it off. We were paying an outrageous fee to a babysitting service so we could have just one evening to ourselves, and our idea of a date isn't sitting at a bus stop.

I love disney transporation!

DH and I have never rented a car for our on site vacations. Like everyone else, we just go with the flow and have learned a few tips. Like if we have a PS for dinner at another hotel...take a taxi. While staying at WL, we don't wait for the boat to take us back to WL after the fireworks (too long of a wait), we walk to the contemp and take the boat from there back to WL. We love the boat ride from the studios to epcot...often stopping at the boardwalk for a great lunch or dinner. And we always use a towncar service that offers a free grocery stop. In addition dh and I don't have to argue over who's the designated driver at dinner because the disney driver will take care of us;)

Originally posted by WDW4metoo
I love disney transporation!

DH and I have never rented a car for our on site vacations. Like everyone else, we just go with the flow and have learned a few tips. Like if we have a PS for dinner at another hotel...take a taxi.

You guys are all SICK! Just kidding.

We like the flexibility of a car (and drive down from Atlanta), so, it is best for us.

My question is, if you are going to take taxi's an the shuttle service from the airport, how much is that? In the end does it not justify a rental car?

Thanks.

We love Disney Transportation!

I'm always amazed by people who would rather walk or tram or (at MK) take the ferry to a hot car, then have to park at their resort at the end of the day. They say this saves time? Much more relaxing to wait for a cool bus. On my younger daughter's first trip at 14 months of age she would have been happy to ride the buses all day and skip the parks! And we go during the busy times.

I agree with you and your attitude: "we be on vacation, dude!"

We have driven to WDW the last three trips, but have yet to use the car while we're there. We've taken an occasional cab when the bus line was crowded (usually at a park closing), but I really enjoy the buses even when they're crowded. Afterall, everyone there is on vacation too, and it's fun to swap stories on the bus.

On one of our early trips, we booked through a travel agent out of New Orleans and met her and her family in person for the first time on a Disney Bus leaving the AK. It's a small world afterall!

The monorails and boats are more like rides than transportation to us, so we use them whenever we can.

I agree, but DH hates the buses. We will be at BWV next weekend and I could convince him we don't need the car except that we arrive after midnight and our flight out is 9am. Mears would not be convenient as they would pick us up at 6am:eek: :eek: and the night we arrive I am concerned they may be closed or have limited transfers causing us to wait sometime. And we will be tired and not want to wait. And we like to ride around and become more familiar with the area, and visit Celebration. Plus we can go to the grocery store and eat off property if we want to. It really is hard to weigh sometimes. But I do like the leave the worries to someone else theory. :)

I think you are sick.

You have Disney disease!

LOL

msdis,

Have you looked into some of the townecar services instead of renting a car? With 5 in my family, we had to rent a van, but they picked us up at the airport and made a grocery stop on the way to BWV. Once there, we walked to Epcot and MGM, and used the bus to MK, AK and DD. We always got off at the Swan on the return trip, and even used the monorail between MK and Epcot. All in all, the service was pretty good, with the worst being the ride to AK, but still not that bad. The good part about the bus service at BWV seemed to be that you were always picked up by an empty bus, which meant you always got a seat, no problem. When we left on a Sunday, our flight was at 7:15 am, so the townecar service picked us up at 5:15, and we were checked in and on the plane with no problems. I believe they all will run 24 hours a day. We used Tiffany Townecar and for the van it was $87.00 plus tips (the regular van rate was $95, but we had a coupon from Passporter), and to rent a car for the 9 days would have run me about $250 with codes. I was also worried about not being able to go offsite for meals and such, but the BWV area is packed with places to eat including places at BC, Swan and Dolphin and let's not forget Epcot. All in all, I am glad we didn't get a car!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

This is one of the reasons we bought into DVC. I can't stand driving around and looking for places (I'm guilty of not wanting to stop and ask directions). It keeps the peace in our family b/c we are free to do whatever we want.

I also love Disney transportation. The wait never bothers me (unless it's late at night and I'm tired waiting to get back to the resort). Otherwise, it's always been nice to let someone else do the driving. Where I live, it's always bumper to bumper and I despise being behind the wheel. When I'm on the vacation, I am more than happy to let someone else do the job. I'd also much rather be dropped off at the front gates than have to locate parking, walk farther, and the real problem is trying to find your car after coming out of the park. I'm one of those people that always loses my car.

ITA ::yes::

I wouldn't do it any other way--you'll never find me driving to the parks. Actually I may be in the minority but I do really like the bus transport...if there isn't a boat at the resort I'm at it really doesn't bother me :confused: Weird, I know :teeth:

It was kind of neat because before our trip in '02 my DH had never been to Disney before. When we got there it was kind of fun to see his amazement that we didn't have to do any of the driving or navigating. No matter where we went there was a monorail, boat, or bus to take us to wherever we needed to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter