I Left My Heart in Aulani- Our Weeklong June '15 Vacation COMPLETED 8/2

JennisSilly

Mouseketeer
When we first started planning our trip to Aulani, I scoured the boards for trip reports that I could relate to our family and our trip, so I figure I should contribute back.

I'm going to be honest, I've been capturing our trip over on my blog, so I'm only going to be linking blog posts here, but I know this was all information I worked hard to track down.

(I dislike photo bucket, so there are no photos in this update, but I promise lots of photo's in my update links!)

I'm Jenn, a thirty-something nursing student and Stay at Home Mom. I've been a Disney Vacation Club Owner since 2005 (and man, do I wish I bought more points back then!) We live on the west coast, and often vacation at Disneyland, it's where I grew up and I do prefer it to Disneyworld.

My Husband is A. He's a finance type guy and grew up without taking family vacations. He's quickly grown to understand and dare I say share my love of Disney. He however is a very, very frugal man which as we all know doesn't go well most of the time with Disney Vacations.

Our DD, E, is 4 years old. She's been going to Disneyland since she was 4 months old. She's been to Disneyland more times than I can count and Disneyworld twice, so we're planing the seed early with her!

We take a family vacation every June around our anniversary. Last year we went to Disneyworld as a make up to our October 2013 trip which was...junky. In June 2014 we stayed at the Grand Floridian Villas and realized the key to a good WDW trip is monorail access. So, when our 7 month mark came up for this June, DH and I thought we'd be booking a trip to GFV, but it wasn't available. Because he didn't want to do a split stay, we decided to go to the other end of the earth and take a look at Aulani. Sure enough there was a deluxe ocean view stuido available, so we booked it!

Neither one of us had ever been to Hawaii, so this was an exciting (and nerve racking) experience for us!

Some Pre-Trip Information:

We're Going to Hawaii!
Hawaii on a Budget
A Rough Outline of Our Trip
A Huge Hiccup in our Vacation Plans

Trip Report Links:

Day 1- Part 1 (Traveling and Costco)
Day 1- Part 2 (Arriving at the resort)
Day 1- Part 3 (Additional arrival at the resort)
Day 2- Part 1 (Pearl Harbor)
Day 2- Part 2 (Getting our feet in the sand)
Day 3- Part 1 (Resort Day/Aunty's Beach House)
Day 3- Part 2 (Resort Day)
Day 4- Part 1 (Maui Divers and Dole Plantation)
Day 4- Part 2 (North Shore, Starlit Hui)
Intermission (My Hawaiian hair and makeup tips with product recommendations)
Day 5 (Resort Day- Resort and area recommendations)
Day 6 (Resort Day)
Day 7 (Resort Day)
Day 8 (Departure Day)

Last edited:
I think you were there while we were there. (June 10-20) "I left my heart in Aulani" is about a perfect description as to how we felt. We rode in eerie silence to the airport on our way home. However, we added on Aulani points so we will be back!!!!

Awwww those pictures at Stitch's are just so adorable! My DH is our cook too. We never made it in a hot tub the whole time :( Guess we have to go back!

I think you were there while we were there. (June 10-20) "I left my heart in Aulani" is about a perfect description as to how we felt. We rode in eerie silence to the airport on our way home. However, we added on Aulani points so we will be back!!!!

Sigh, I wish I could get DH to add on DVC points. We did talk about it, but ultimately, I think we're better off doing resale. We live on the west coast and want a west coast resort as a home resort, but have a large contract at a WDW property.

I say you can never have too many, DH (who is an accountant) does not agree with me... LOL!

Awwww those pictures at Stitch's are just so adorable! My DH is our cook too. We never made it in a hot tub the whole time :( Guess we have to go back!

We spent SO much time in the hot tub. The pool water got so cold in the afternoon DD would turn blue and start shivering, she loved her some hot tub time. In fact, tonight we had friend's over for dinner and when they asked her what her favorite part of our entire vacation was, she said "the hot tub!"

She did check out each one she was able to!

We had the same thought about Dole, it was nice and we are glad we went, but now its been there, done that.

Wonderful so far! Your daughter is so sweet, and that one black and white pic of her looking up at the wall of names at the Arizona gave me goose bumps...

Loving your TR! We are traveling next year with a toddler, so it's great to read along and hear your experiences!

We had the same thought about Dole, it was nice and we are glad we went, but now its been there, done that.

Exactly, it's definitely not a "must do" per say, though we'll likely stop by next time for more Dole Whip key chains and as an easier way to grab some Ted's Cream pie!

Wonderful so far! Your daughter is so sweet, and that one black and white pic of her looking up at the wall of names at the Arizona gave me goose bumps...

Thank you so much. I adore that photo and loved that she was able to be so reverent at such a young age. We had found a children's book at our library explaining Pearl Harbor, hoping it would help her understand why we were there and why we needed to be respectful, but with a preschooler, you never know!

Loving your TR! We are traveling next year with a toddler, so it's great to read along and hear your experiences!

Thank you so much! You will have an amazing time! We can't wait for our 7 month window to open for next June so we can book again!

Just a quick update this evening.

Before we left, I searched Facebook Groups and Pinterest for easy hair looks for a humid climate (I'm a desert dweller) and make up ideas that were easy (since we'd be in the water so much) and would work with my skin's simultaneous freak-out to humid weather, so what worked for me along with product recommendations are up on the blog tonight!

We will be there in June as well! Maybe we will bump into you!

Enjoying your post! From the pics, looks like you have the saltwater canvas beach bag! (Whale?) How did it work for you at Aulani? I too am an overplanner, it is so hard to just "chill" (as my kids put it) over our time in October!

Oh ... Great makeup recommendations too! I am a pale, pasty white midwesterner who will need some coverage with SPF ... Not loving my Clinique stuff, may givd MAC another try (even though they are both made by E lauder, maybe Mac will have diff options)!! I need to wear foundation to even out my red blotch cheeks. How did the MAC wear in Aulani's pools? Or, did you wash all off before swimming? How easy does the MAC mascara wash off at night?

Thanks

How did the MAC wear in Aulani's pools? Or, did you wash all off before swimming? How easy does the MAC mascara wash off at night?

Thanks

I didn't have any problems! I wore the Mac into and out of the pools and never had any issues and never had a sunburn (on my face anyway)! I had no issues with the mascara at night either, but we did spend most days in the salt water pools, so I'm sure that helped!

I'm back! We had a bit of a hiatus due to summer craziness, but my goal is to wrap up our week by the end of July!

Love the updates!! That's too bad she was a little under the weather. That pizza looks yummy!

We loved Glen too!! He took so much time with us. Is that shot from the lobby a photo pass pic? We were loosely doing the photo pass scavenger hunt and they told us they only staff that spot occasionally. We checked a million times and never saw a photographer, which we thought was weird, it's gorgeous!

Donald!!! We had a hard time finding him, but spoiler alert for my report.... We did eventually ;)

Looks like you guys really made the most of the resort. The pics of Donald and your daughter are so sweet, she is obviously a fan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter