• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I know this is a horrible thought, but...

perd

DIS Veteran
with the CIA director saying we are in as much danger as we were before 09/11, do you ever worry that you-know-where will be a target? I guess I don't *worry* about it because I'm going to go no matter what! If something bad happens then it happens, but I'm not going to alter my plans out of fear. It does cross my mind, though...

I do think about it. I am an annual pass holder and did not go to Disneyland for about 2-3 months after 9/11. Having a 4 year old, that was hard to do.

I know they are doing security checks now. They always look in my bag. But I do also notice that it seems that they never seem to confiscate anything - That troubles me a little -

I am one of those, "when it's my time, it's my time" - but I also think I need to take precautions as well -

Hey, if it's my time - I don't think there is a better place than to be then Disneyland!

Karen

No, I can honestly say I never worry about any place being a target.

I just live my life and enjoy each day for the gift that it is. :)

of course. I was a bit nervous when I went in in 9/01 after the 11th. I was more nervous in '96 when there was a threat made for 7/4 (the fear was of sarin). I was very happy to not be working that day, and it did keep me out of the parks.

I know what you are saying....I went to Hallmark...at a shopping center the other day and I was really kinda nervous...I looked at "everyone.....everywhere" and saw my "surrondings"......It is kinda scary and sad to have to do that.....

I thought about that when we went to WDW this past July...what a good time all those people and another representation of what we stand for (in some ways).

My DH, poor thing, he had an excellent tan, black hair, and beard. Needless to say we were delayed at the airport in Orlando. He just laughed it off, better safe than sorry!!

Thank goodness his tan has faded cause I'm sure when we fly into LAX that would be a delay point as well.

Well since where I live was a target on 9/11, I guess I'd have to say yes, I do worry about it from time to time.

Nope, I don't worry about it. Just about anywhere can be a target at this point. And I know myself well enough to know that if I worried about it, I would make myself a basket case.

I was at Disney the Saturday after 9/11..to me it was the place that help me heal a little from the tragedy. It was sad to see MK so empty, but after a day there, even with very few people, my SO and I felt a little better by the end of the day. So I really don't want to think of the place that helped me as a target.

Actually.......WDW was a target about 10 years ago. Actually, it was a threat and no activity took place.

I was AT the World on 9/11/01. We were beginning our 3rd day of an 8 day trip. In light of the threats from 10 years ago, praying and asking for guidance, and just REALLY feeling uncomfortable, we decided to go home. "Stole" my rental car and drove 1900 miles home.

Your feelings are natural. And its ok to think about the unthinkable. We will never know ahead of time who or what will be the next target.

I will be there Christmas Day, and that's what I really think about. I mean, it's the absolute busiest time of the year and it's CHRISTMAS. If I had to pick two days that I thought might be most likely I would say 4th of July and Christmas...but then they say it will be when we are NOT expecting it - but then are we supposed to trust what Bin Laden says?

let me relate a little story...

i got married at WDW 2 months after 9/11. several of my friends and acquaintances asked me "how can you travel so soon after 9/11?" and "how can you go to a potential target?"

my answer was simple, i live and work every day in an area that is already a potential target. going to wdw doesn't worry me.

I really don't worry. I probably should worry more but it won't do me any good, so I just don't do it.

I agree with Kath... worrying about that won't do me any good. I have enough I worry about as it is and I really don't need to worry about that. So I don't. I can understand why others do, but it's just not something I do worry about.

Yes, I definitely think about that, but like everyone else here, it won't stop me from going there. We were at WDW when some wacko took somebody hostage at the Boardwalk. It was weird enough then to see police cars and helicopters all over the place. We sat through Fantasmic while a chopper circled overhead. And that was just one little wacko, easily contained. I can't even imagine the horror of something big happening at the most magical place on earth.

I worry more about something like the Beltway sniper than other kinds of threats. It seems so *possible* that a wacko can do something like this at any time. :(

But I mostly just put all of it out of mind and go about my life as before. After all, what good does it do to worry?

Even if we are losing the war on terrorism, not letting them change what I do each day is one small victory for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter