I kid you not...one minute late...in line...turned away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the CM didn't think it was a big deal because the LM show runs continuously and the next one would be in twenty minutes?
But according to the OP the CM was rude about it. If the CM would've been polite, I'll bet tho OP would've shrugged off the whole incident and he never would've posted about his experience.

What exactly was rude about the CM? I don't understand the need to explain the obvious. Late is late. Kinda hard to be rude and grant FP for the next show at the same time. i wonder what the CM' opinion of the guests attitude would be, we only hear one side here and the fact the CM granted FP not really warranted, I'd have to give th CM the benefit of the doubt.

I'll tell you what I work as a service tech and just about any time you tell a customer anything they don't want to hear they say your rude or smug.

I see it on a daily basis so does my dgf who works retail

When I see complaints like this I have to side with the cm unless I hear from a witness too

This isn't a ride it its a show there are only so many seats you got turned away because the seats were full and you were late put deal with it and man up

I'll tell you what I work as a service tech and just about any time you tell a customer anything they don't want to hear they say your rude or smug.

I tend to agree. When people hear what they don't want to hear, they want someone to blame and that's usually the person telling them what they don't want to hear. My only point is, when someone believes they received bad service, they should file a complaint. Complaining here doesn't help anything but to blow off steam. Disney has always been extremely responsive to any issue I've ever had. It's what keeps me coming back.

UpstateMick said:
...all in all, it WAS only the The Mermaid show. But, in all my years going to Disney, never, NEVER, was I turned away from a ride or a ADR for being a few minutes late. Heck, we were 25 minutes past our Test Track timeonthis last trip and the CM said "close enough" to us and let us through after a brief explanation.

You still haven't been turned away from a ride or ADR. You were deferred to the next show.
While the Little Mermaiid show runs repeatedly throughout the day, it's not a continuous loading ride.
The show theater has a finite number of seats.

By the way, if you're more than a certain number of minutes late for an ADR, it's gone. They'll still try to seat you, but you may have a lonnnnnng wait.
Speaking of long waits, you should appreciate the great sprinkle of pixie dust you got, being able to use a FastPass 25 minutes late after the return times started being enforced.

Not only that but I bet it's difficult to be convincingly "empathetic" when you've been getting yelled at by people all day.

Yes but good customer service always follows a pattern rules, empathy aka Im sorry, explanation of rules, Im sorry, give alternative. Im sorry.

But according to the OP the CM was rude about it. If the CM would've been polite, I'll bet tho OP would've shrugged off the whole incident and he never would've posted about his experience.

I don't think the CM was rude at all. I think OP's perspective is just skewed because she was ticked off they didn't bend the rules for her. As someone else said - had the CM really been that rude, unsympathetic etc... She never would have offered to let them use their FP+ for the next show, IMMEDIATELY. As if you read carefully you'll notice that the OP says the CSM repeated that they could use their FP, so she immediately offered to let them use their FP when she had to pull the rope closed. That's far from "rude" behavior, and rather, falls under understanding and accommodating.

And... even IF the CSM became somewhat rude after that, read back at the attitude OP was giving her, first the, "Well we almost made it" (whether she meant it joking or not, it's still arguing the CSMs decision), followed by the "Are you serious?!", then further arguing that the other five families were let in as well. Sorry, I've worked in customer service before, and you can only be "polite" so long before sometimes you have to get a bit firmer with people who are gearing up for a hissy fit.

Yes but good customer service always follows a pattern rules, empathy aka Im sorry, explanation of rules, Im sorry, give alternative. Im sorry.

And when you read carefully, she immediately got this. She was told the rule (that unfortunately she was late), immediately offered to be allowed to use the FP for the next show (which she didn't have to do), and then OP decided to start arguing with her.

You were late. You had a full HOUR to get there, yet you were late. Your fault, not the CM's. And then 25 minutes late for "Test Track" and still being allowed to ride? Wow. You got lucky on that one since the CM said "close enough." I can't imagine any valid reason for having an HOUR to get there and then being 25-minutes late for a fast pass and still expecting to be allowed on.

You were late. You had a full HOUR to get there, yet you were late. Your fault, not the CM's.....

tumblr_mhxcggydzD1qic6uao1_500_zps20afe4a0.gif

^^^ LOL. And poor Elaine had to wait a full year to return for her soup, OP only had to wait for the next show - 20 minutes or so!

You were late. You had a full HOUR to get there, yet you were late. Your fault, not the CM's. And then 25 minutes late for "Test Track" and still being allowed to ride? Wow. You got lucky on that one since the CM said "close enough." I can't imagine any valid reason for having an HOUR to get there and then being 25-minutes late for a fast pass and still expecting to be allowed on.

Yes, when I read this, I thought it seems as though perhaps OP is making a habit/pattern of cutting it too close (and let's face it 25 minutes late isn't even close), since this is at least the second time it's happened to her. Understandable, everyone wants to see as much as they can, but you can't keep expecting people to make exceptions for you, when you're breaking the rules. Rules are rules, no matter the excuse/reason.

Granted, the return times for shows aren't an hour like the rides are... But, I still dont believe, by your account, that the CM was rude. She could have just adopted the "too bad, so sad" stance and NOT been generous enough to let you use your fast pass for the next show. Like a PP said, you got lucky at Test Track. If I were a CM I wouldnt let someone through that was that late because in that instance you DID have a full hour return time. I know things come up, but things come up for EVERYONE. ALL THE TIME. I'm sure the CM's hear the same sob stories over and over again. Why should you and your family have special treatment? If they gave into everyones sob stories the FP+ system would be useless.

I also take some people's accounts of "smug" or "rude" with a grain of salt. Something that comes off as callous or rude to one person can be seen as perfectly normal to another.

I really think for some guests empathy = giving me what I want.

A CM could apologize 10x or be polite and still be taken as rude and curt. But to be honest, I'm willing to bet it's easier for a CM to be very matter of fact about something a guest will deem negative to help cut down on arguing.

She was going to let OP into next show. Doesn't sound rude to me.

I missed a FP+ for Finding Nemo at AK for being like 1 minute late (for parking a stroller no less).

It wasn't a huge deal, we got in the general admission line and still watched the show, though we weren't all able to sit together (we were 2 families anyway, not a huge deal).

So, it's not like this is a random 1-time occurrence...

Yes, when I read this, I thought it seems as though perhaps OP is making a habit/pattern of cutting it too close (and let's face it 25 minutes late isn't even close), since this is at least the second time it's happened to her. Understandable, everyone wants to see as much as they can, but you can't keep expecting people to make exceptions for you, when you're breaking the rules. Rules are rules, no matter the excuse/reason.

You're assuming the 25 mins late at TT was the op cutting it close when it may not have been. Perhaps they had an ADR before TT and were seated late at the ADR and they made it to TT as soon as they could. We just don't know.

You're assuming the 25 mins late at TT was the op cutting it close when it may not have been. Perhaps they had an ADR before TT and were seated late at the ADR and they made it to TT as soon as they could. We just don't know.
Why they were late doesn't matter. That they were late does. Stuff happens. The TT CM was extremely generous in giving the party FP+ access that much later than the designated window. Things balance out. They got to use one FP+ well after the window, and didn't get to use another one just outside it.

Sounds absolutely fair to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter