I have one high crowd day to see Harry Potter. Advice?

nat8199

DIS Veteran
Hello!

I am very lucky that my MIL is letting me tag along to a conference she is attending so that I can go to Universal and see Harry Potter. The day I will be there is Sunday, April 26th. It looks like it is going to be a high crowd day. I have a ton of questions.

I plan on being their before the 9am opening. Which park would you recommend I head to first? Any tips on beating the crowds?

I know that I have to leave my bag in a locker for the rides, but can I keep my phone on me to entertain me on the long waits?

It looks like the express pass isn't an option for the Harry Potter rides, so I shouldn't bother buying it, right?

Any advice of the best food to try?

I have to leave the park by 4-5pm, to meet my MIL for a reception and dinner.

Thanks so much!

As far as tips for beating the crowds, the biggest question is what else interests you besides Harry Potter.

In either case, for you, I'd start at USF. If Despicable Me, or Hollywood Rip Ride RockIt is on your list to do hit them before heading to Diagon Alley. Despicable Me especially on many days will have lines longer than Gringotts if you wait. Since you're traveling solo, from there I'd head to Diagon Alley and Gringotts. If the line is reasonable, (I consider anything under an hour reasonable for a first trip) get in the regular line instead of the single rider line. The Single Rider Line misses almost all of the intricately themed queue that is almost an attraction unto itself. If Diagon Alley is insanely busy, Skip for now and ride a couple of other rides at USF. Looking at Touring Plans, Gringotts line seems to peek right at opening before pulling back in about an hour or 2 after opening. After Gringotts, and exploring Diagon Alley, hit up other rides at USF until about 11:30 then get the Hogwarts Express to IOA and Hogsmead. (After 11:30, wait times for Hogwarts Express seem to really shoot up for most of the afternoon). At Hogsmead, ride Forbidden Journey using the "Castle Tour" and Single Rider Line. The Castle Tour will take you through most of the theming in the castle without waiting in line. Enter the Castle and ask a TM right inside the door to show you to the Castle Tour. At the end of the Castle Tour, you might be able to get right into the single rider line if it's not too long. Otherwise, exit, cut through the lockers, and get in line there.

From there, hit Dragon Challenge (or at least walk through the first part of the queue). Have a late lunch at 3 Broom Sticks. Make a quick trip to any IOA ride you want to hit. Get back to Hogsmead and Hogwarts Express by 3:00 for Return Trip to USF (the 2 directions are different). If there's time, hit 1 or 2 rides in the single rider line as you exit the park (Transformers or ROTM are a good choice here). Exit USF.

As far as keeping your phone with you right now, that seems to be a qualified Yes and No. HRRR, and Hulk especially but also Dragon Challenge at times have a Zero loose article policy period. At those rides, even the Cell Phones will need to go into a locker. At the other rides where it's an issue, if you have zippered or buttoned pocked, they will let you carry small items in your pockets. Bags will still need to go into a locker.

Since you are going mainly for HP and you'll have access to the Single Rider Line for most everything else, I wouldn't purchase an Express Pass.

Thank you so much! I had never occurred to me to check and see if there were single rider lines! That is great to hear. I do not have anything with pockets that zip or button, so I guess I will have to leave my phone in the locker, too.

I honestly have no idea what I want to do other than Harry Potter stuff. I need to do some more research. I love thrill rides, so I will have to see what else there is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter