I had to WONDER about the Panama Canal and Disneyland.....until now!!!COMPLETED 9/4

Continuing Day Five

Tonight's menu was the Golden Mickeys

Panama Canal May 2015 109.JPG

I had the Crispy Romaine salad skipping the appetizer as I had ate a good lunch

Panama Canal May 2015 107.JPG

Potato Gnocchi for entree

Panama Canal May 2015 108.JPG

Tahitian Vanilla Bean creme brulee for desert

Panama Canal May 2015 110.JPG

It was rough seas tonight and many were sick. The girl from Vancouver got sick and had to leave before the main course but she told her husband to stay and eat. Maryland was not even there for dinner at all. Both Aunt Connie and I were loving it. I have been in worse seas and enjoy the movement. I guess the waters we were going through that night are known to be rough because it is were the Atlantic and Caribbean seas meet.

We went to change out of the formal wear before our walk. We also stopped by the shore excursion desk to change the one we had booked for Puerto Vuerto. Then we grabbed another drink in the atrium and took our walk. They were cleaning deck four so we went up to the top. It was getting dark earlier the further south we got. It was nice with the moon. Of course this picture does it no justice.

Panama Canal May 2015 117.JPG

Aunt Connie did not care for walking on the top so she headed to the room. I spent some more time walking when it dawned on me that I thought she had left the room earlier without her key. So I headed down and of course she wasn't in the room. Her key was right on the dresser. But I hadn't seen her anywhere so I thought best just to stay in the room. She came about 15 minutes later a little put out but really it was her fault! Another early night for us as it was only 8:15. But I snuggled up with this guy and wrote notes

Panama Canal May 2015 120.JPG

Day Six: Day at Sea

We both were awake shortly after 6. The sunrise had been an early one today at 5:45 so we had missed the best part of it. We both went up for coffee. Aunt Connie went back down to the room while I walked around getting the Navigator and just checking things out. I had planned to be getting one of the punch cards for Cove Cafe since I figured this was a two week cruise I would at least get through it once but so far I had not even got a coffee there. So today I took a close look at the prices to see if I still thought it might be worthwhile. I left still debating. Together we ate breakfast at Beach Blanket under some very beautiful skies.

my phonr 235.JPG

Afterward, Aunt Connie went to do her walking while I went up to enjoy the adult pool area and grab a lounger before it got crowded. In fact I wound up having the hot tub to myself for about half an hour. The ship was rocking pretty good that day and the pool started to look a lot like a wave pool. I was in it for a while and really enjoyed it, but it did get to the point I started to worry about crashing into the side. In fact they did close the family pool but I guess felt it was safe enough to keep the adult and kids pool open, perhaps because of the layouts. Even though the family pool is in the center of the ship I did see higher waves there than the other two. I decided to leave the pool deck about 9:45 and walked up on deck ten to the front of the ship. There I talked to a young man (late teens) who was enjoying watching the waves. He was a good conversationalist and was the one to strike up the conversation. He said how much his family was enjoying the cruise and how he was looking into joining the Navy so the two weeks at sea was a good experience for him. And he now knows he had no problem with the rough seas!!!

I headed back to the room but it was being cleaned so while our host finished I went back up to get some ice cream and brought it back to add some Baileys to it and make it a milkshake :drinking1While I let it melt a little I took my shower. Then I drank it while doing my daily email. Then I realized they had changed the sheets today so it would be a good time to switch sleeping arrangements. I grabbed my pillowcase and PJ's and a few other odds and ends to make a load and threw them in the wash. It was now about 12:30 the time Aunt Connie and I had decided to play cards. I garabbed the cards and headed down to Diversions, although first I went up to grab us a pretzel to split for lunch.

We had brought a new card game of Yahtzee but she did not like playing it so after one round we decided to play something else but those cards were in the room. Which was ok because I had to put my load in the dryer now. So we both went up, her for the cards and a glass of wine, me for my clothes. Once back down in Diversions we played a full 18 holes of Golf. I won :banana: Then we hung out for Obscurity Trivia which was starting right now at 3:00. We had heard people talking about this. It is a question that they asked a certain amount of people (think 100) and then they give you like 6 or so multiple choices on what those people may have answered. But they also throw in a wrong answer or sometimes two. You then have to pick a correct answer that nobody who they asked said. You score points if someone said it (points are equal to how many people said it) or if it one of the wrong answers (points are 100). The goal to win is score the FEWEST points. Sounds hard but really isn't after you play it once. The lady we ate breakfast with yesterday was there. She had been playing from the first day. We each did our score though most people did groups. I did horrible and though Aunt Connie did better she was still far from winning.

Aunt Connie took her shower while I did some browsing in the shops. We both were ready for dinner about half an hour early so we read. I should say she read while I attempted to but my mind just sort of wondered. Anyhow tonight was dinner in Parrot Cay with the traditional Parrot Cay menu. Everyone was at dinner tonight and feeling fine.

my phonr 242.JPG

Banana Bread with a banana spread was the bread offering

my phonr 238.JPG

I got a drink tonight. Banana Caribe with Myers Rum, fresh Banana, pineapple juice, and coconut cream

my phonr 239 (2).JPG

Because of the drink I skipped an appetizer and went straight to soup. Cream of Green Asparagus.
my phonr 240.JPG

The entree was Pan Seared Grouper

my phonr 241.JPG

Dessert was the sundae as nothing else appealed to me.

my phonr 243.JPG

Our after dinner walk had to take on an unusual course as the deck was partially closed and because of the winds one whole side had the doors closed, though you could still walk on it but you had to walk all the way around to get in or out. It made it nice and quiet on that side. But it was a bit wet from the wind and waves still.

my phonr 244.JPG

So we would go outside just past were it was closed for cleaning and walk around past all the locked doors and back in just before they had it closed for cleaning then walk inside through the shops and back out. On one of the last trips through the shops I saw Chip & Dale down in the lobby and decided I needed a picture.

my phonr 246.JPG

my phonr 249.JPG

After that we saw our dinner mates from Maryland sitting above the atrium and went to talk to them. They were just waiting for their room to be turned down. They were enjoying watching people a lot. Something I like to do but because I kept running around myself never had an opportunity to. They did say that they were looking forward to tomorrow in Cartegena. So were we so we headed to bed to get rested up. Tonight there was a swan on the bed but I failed to get a decent picture. i was tired though we had made it up until the extremely late hour of 9:30.:rotfl:

Day Seven: Cartagena Columbia

Being eager to be seeing land I woke up at 5:30. I had actually slept pretty well on the sofa bed. What I like about it is that it is close to the doors so you can hear the ocean better. Not that we slept with the doors open. Some people do but for the most part I am a rule follower and I know it is recommended to keep the doors closed. Plus the humidity is too much for us. I stepped outside and saw land. It was just starting to get light but was real hazy today.

Panama Canal May 2015 150.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 156.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 158.JPG

Since our excursion to the Rosario Islands was meeting at 8:00 we had decided it might be best to order room service this morning. We had hung out the tag the night before for a 6:30-7:00 delivery. We had debated over this time a little thinking it might be a bit early but but since the window is in half hours increments if we chose the next time of 7-7:30 and it did not arrive until 7:30 that would be too late. So we got our breakfast right at 6:30. Which was fine as we started with the coffee and didn't really eat the fruit and pastries until closer to 7. I did take time to go get my take home copy of the Navigator. I took some pictures of the city from deck ten aft. I still love the reflectiveness of Palo's windows.

Panama Canal May 2015 163.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 165.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 168.JPG

Our excursion meeting was in Studio Sea. It was already a bit full as several groups were meeting there. Aunt Connie ran to the bathroom one more time right after we got seated, and by the time she got back we were headed off the ship. Once off,, we were told we would need to walk but it was only a short five minute walk. For those who really needed a ride there was one bus. Then it turned out some would have to stand on the bus. So though the guide was now reluctant to let us walk, about six of us choose to do so.

Panama Canal May 2015 171.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 172.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 173.JPG

The flowers were lovely.

Panama Canal May 2015 178.JPG

Cartagena Continued

We arrived at our boat before the bused people. Here was the little overpriced gift shop area they had at the port.

Panama Canal May 2015 179.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 181.JPG

We had no time for shopping with this excursion as it lasted the entire time we were in port. Of course the only thing Mom wanted me to get for her on this trip was Colombian coffee. Fortunately through the DIS and our cruise meet I had found someone willing to pick some up for us. And even though I told Aunt Connie I would not do this excursion if she really wanted to shop she had agreed to come. She was sure we would have at least a bit of time afterward to stop in the port shops. I said I doubted it as the excursion time said 8-2:45 and our sail time was 2:45. She said most likely we would be back earlier :confused3

I was surprised by the smaller sized speedboat with benches we would be getting on, The boat did not fill completely so Aunt Connie and I each took a bench to ourselves which made it more comfortable. This is what we saw heading out.

Panama Canal May 2015 182.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 185.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 187.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 189.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 191.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 196.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 197.JPG
We heard a history of the town on our way out of the bay. I cannot recall any of it now but I know it was rather interesting :o There was something about a narrow entrance and a wide entrance and a war:thumbsup2

Then we headed out to the Rosario Islands. For the next 35-40 minutes we were just speeding along without much to see and the fog made it gloomy. Plus on a speed boat it was too loud to be given any more history. So we just enjoyed the breeze.

Attachments

• Panama Canal May 2015 183.JPG
    Panama Canal May 2015 183.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 3

Cartagena/Rosario Islands

So once we got there it was really pretty. Most are very tiny islands with just one or two buildings. The name Rosario is because looking at them from above the string of islands are in a shape of a rosary.

Panama Canal May 2015 199.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 200.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 202.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 206.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 208.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 209.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 210.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 211.JPG

These buildings were started back in the late 90's to be a hotel. But the government said no hotel on the islands. Big hotel that is. Most of the houses are rentals or bed and breakfast type. Some are run as part of vacation package were you would spend 5 nights on land in Cartagena and then 2 nights out here. Also many of the homes are just owned by very rich people. One is the Governors own island. Anyway the hotels name was going to be Hotel Kokomo. The store I work at is named Kokomo so even though this picture looks a bit sad that is the reason I had to take it.

Panama Canal May 2015 213.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 215.JPG

Great trip report! :)

Thank you for the great report! Words and pictures were helpful.

Thanks. It is a work in progress. Just glad to help others have an idea of what is offered on the ship and in port. Reading other TRs from the same cruise I can see what a different experience it was for each of us though we were all on the same cruise.

Cartagena/Rosario Islands continues

After looking at the main chain of islands we headed off to the one we would be spending a few hours at. By now I had to use the restroom and really didn't know if I would make it. I was getting pretty miserable and really wishing I hadn't drank so much coffee and a full bottle of water on the way out so far. They offered the water when we got on the boat and I just drank it right down. :drinking1I made it until we got to the island, thank goodness. It was still quite a hike to the restroom but it was paradise.

Panama Canal May 2015 227.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 228.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 229.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 226.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 230.JPG

This next picture was the pool they had to swim in. I never got in as it was full of kiddos most of the time. I did put my foot in and the temperature was about the same as the ocean. It was never overcrowded with kids but I just did not feel like being in with the families. I think sometimes families wonder about the single adult. Like what they are up to. At least as a female I may not get judged as much but I never want to make them uncomfortable nor myself.

Panama Canal May 2015 223.JPG

Then down to the beach area. Here is where I was disappointed in this excursion. It was a fairly short beach without enough loungers for everyone they booked. We wound up sitting all the time at a table a bit higher up from the water. Which was fine but it would've been nicer to be on a lounger. Our boat had arrived second so all the loungers in the shade were taken and we didn't want to be out right in the sun as it was close to 11:00 now.

Panama Canal May 2015 219.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 221.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 222.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 220.JPG

When we got to this area our guide said we would pack up to leave at about 2:00. Aunt Connie marched up to him and said "But 'MY' ship leaves at 2:45!" (like all the other people weren't on "her" ship :rotfl2:) He told here not to worry. We would be back in time to catch the ship. By now she knew it was very unlikely she would be doing shopping in Columbia. I think this is when she got a bit perturbed she came. There were vendors on the beach but it was just your usual tourist jewelry and nick knacks. They were a bit pushy when we first arrived but they did back off after a while. She did get one to make her a sun glass cord that she was fairly happy with.

I went on down to the water once we were all settled and I had used the facilities. It did have a lot of sea weed in it and was pretty rocky. But I love being in the water so it was still fun. Aunt Connie never did get in because she really can't handle the rough rocks anymore.

After a bit they served up lunch which I'll share in the next post.

Cartagenga/Rosario Islands (lunch)

It was a buffet and this is what my plate looked like.

Panama Canal May 2015 237.JPG

I really liked the rice. The grilled fish was pretty dry I thought and so did the family who ate with us but Aunt Connie said hers was fine. In the upper middle was a fish ceviche and it was SOOO good!!! Aunt Connie would not touch it though. So I had a portion for her :) Upper right was a dried plantain and it too was very good. The desserts were coconut balls. There were about four different colors and textures but they called them all coconut balls. These were NOT good. It was like eating pure sugar.

After lunch I took a few more pictures.

Panama Canal May 2015 231.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 234.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 236.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 232.JPG

I got back in the ocean for a bit but stepped on something. It did not sting but felt like it punctured. I did not see anything and when I stepped out my foot felt fine so I thought no more of it. I did not get back in though as I wanted to be dry by the time I had to get dressed back up for our trip back. We actually started to leave about 1:30. Maybe Aunt Connies statement did affect their thought on timing.

We rode on the same boats back as we had come out on. Our guide did admit on way back the other boat was MUCH faster. I think if we had been on that one Aunt Connie could have had five minutes in a shop. As it was when we pulled up to the dock the WONDERs ship whistle was blowing. Our guide said no walking back to the ship because being late we would all have to arrive together on a bus. As we waited for the bus to get there though Aunt Connie did run into the duty free shop since it was right there. In her defense it took her only one minute to check the price of the Opium she had got fixed in her head!!!

We made it to the ship just fine though we were packed on the bus like sardines.

Cartagena Sail Away

I ran up (okay I just walked up) all the stairs to the 7th deck and hopped right in the shower. I think Aunt Connie said she made it to like deck four than took the elevator. I wanted to be outside for sail away but needed to get the salt off. Aunt Connie said she would wait until after the sail away to take her shower. I didn't feel guilty as she had not been in the ocean. It was still super hot and humid. I think it was a very good thing we took the excursion we did even if a bit disappointed in it. It at least kept us out of the intense heat of the city.

The sail away party was very entertaining. I used my other shot of liquor from Cozumel to add to my soda and found a spot on deck ten to watch the dancing and take some more city photos. I am not sure were Aunt Connie went to.

Panama Canal May 2015 251.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 259.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 260.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 261.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 262.JPG

It was so hot at the end of the dance routine the cast members not in costume jumped in the pool!!! I really felt for the costumed cast. But this really was my most enjoyable sail away ever. I can't state any one reason but I just really enjoyed it!!!

I found Aunt Connie and we both went to the room. While she showered I checked my email and took notes.

We were eating at PALO tonight. This would be my first dinner there on my 9th Disney cruise. I love the main dining rooms so on any shorter of a cruise I hate to give them up. I have done PALO brunch several times and loved it. Neither are high on Aunt Connies list as she is not a big eater and gets uncomfortable with what I consider even just mid-sized meals. But she did agree to one of each on this cruise. I would've done them without her and that is what really drew her to joining the dinner as she did not want to go to dinner by herself.

Anyway the point is we got dressed before we went to pick up the coffee from the wonderful DISer who helped me out. Always nice to look your best when you meet new people. This lady said it would be fine for us to come look at her room as she was in one of the sideway inside cabins. And it turned out she got a great deal on the coffee. I had been prepared to pay up to $15 a bag but she got it for $2.50!!!! I had had her get ten bags (which she was quite the dear to do as that is a lot to carry on but she did have her husband to help) It was so nice of her. Thanks again Denise!!!!!! And it is REALLY good coffee.

Aunt Connie had asked if there would be enough for her to buy a bag or two. I had planned on this and said yes. Then she said let me pay for it all and then we can say it is from both of us. I kept saying no. The coffee was the ONLY thing I was getting for anybody so I really wanted it to be from me. She hadn't offered back when she thought it might be $15 a bag!! And she tends to do this anytime she realizes someone has a great gift idea!! So after about the fifth time she said she would like to help pay I sat her down and told her point blank that this was the ONLY gift I was getting people and she had already got a few things for people with plans for more in the other ports. I said I just want the coffee to be from me. In a huff she said "I was just offering"!!! I just let it go. (when we got home she did mention this to everyone I gave the coffee to anyway, but I imagine most every family has a member like this right?)

Our
PALO reservation was at 6:00 and we got there a bit before it even opened. One other couple was waiting and two more showed up before the doors were opened. We got a really nice table at the very back of the ship by the window which meant beaning able to watch the sunset once it started. It wasn't very pretty however but still nice to see the ocean until dark.

Next post will be the PALO dinner pictures.

Loving the trip report. It's funny because one of the reasons we booked the PC sailing next year is a bunch of friends wanted to do our anniversary trip with us...but I knew they would never go for a 14 night cruise :) Traveling with people is always a roll of the dice.

Cartagena/ PALO dinner

Our server was named Anastasia and she was just right for us. She started us off with the antipasti. Oh my gosh it was all already so delicious!!!!

my phonr 266.JPG

And the bread. I could have ate all the soft pita like bread but I had to remember there was more to come.

my phonr 267.JPG

Aunt Connie got Mozzarella and Plum Tomato salad.

my phonr 268.JPG

I got the Cioppino, or fish stew as I call it.

my phonr 269.JPG

And I LOVED the little for oyster fork!!!

my phonr 270.JPG
The sorbet for cleaning your palate between courses.

my phonr 271.JPG
We both got the stuffed chicken breast. I don't think I an type the italian name :worried:

my phonr 272.JPG
Then Anastasia insisted we try some "small" portions of pasta. Top is the potato gnocchi and bottom is the lobster pasta. Yeah once again not using the italian names :rolleyes1 I loved the gnocchi and if I do a PALO dinner again this will be my main course if still on menu.

my phonr 273.JPG

And of course the chocolate souffle for dessert!!!:goodvibes

my phonr 275.JPG
And the after dinner lemon cello drink?

my phonr 276.JPG

Totally worth missing a main dining room and well worth the price. We only paid $25 per person (plus Anastasia got a generous tip:thumbsup2) The price had gone up to $30 about a month before sailing but I had already had our dinner and brunch booked so we were grandfathered in. I would still pay $30 for each but at $35 I'd think harder about it and $40 would be the deal breaker I believe. On Royal Caribbean we ate at their Italian specialty for $20 per person (this may have gone up since we sailed) and though I like the more laid back aspect of their restaurant I think there is a higher quality of service in PALO. Only having experienced Royals one time though it could just have been that day.

Dinner really only lasted a bit longer than being in the main dining rooms. Maybe because we were so early and it never did get more than half full in PALO. I planned to go see Big Hero 6 as it was playing again and I still really wanted to see it. Aunt Connie needed to go walking. So we went to change our clothes. I had time before the movie started and did want to walk with her a bit but my foot was beginning to hurt where I had stepped on the object in the ocean. I tried to see if anything was poking out, like an urchin spike but could not see or feel anything. But it was right were I really couldn't see. Anyway I just headed to the theater (with all my sweatshirts). I was a little surprised how many were at the movie. Still less than half full but I had to climb over people to get a good seat. I really enjoyed it though.

Aunt Connie was asleep when I got back just past 10:00. Wow! this was my latest night so far! I knew I needed to get straight to bed now as tomorrow was the BIG day! When I return I'll share the Panama Canal experience with you.

Loving the trip report. It's funny because one of the reasons we booked the PC sailing next year is a bunch of friends wanted to do our anniversary trip with us...but I knew they would never go for a 14 night cruise :) Traveling with people is always a roll of the dice.

Thanks for reading. I really tried to get along with my aunt. We are family, but we are so different. Overall I think we did okay-but we did not bond:laughing: Actually I have done trips with a large group of friends or family and those tend to work better as it is not just the two of you getting on one another's nerves. And you can usually find someone to do the things you want out of a larger group. Then, especially around friends, I think you are even less likely to offend because you are less likely to be insensitive. With family it is too easy to be rude.

Day Eight: The Panama Canal!!!

We had to get up early as we were scheduled to enter the first locks at 8 a.m. and I knew there would be lots of people staked out in front of deck ten. I had listened to everyone who had been on this cruise before and they said it was best to watch each lock from a different view, different decks. I wanted to start out on the top as we approached and Aunt Connie agreed. So we set our alarms for 5:00. This was a bit difficult for me as I hadn't actually fallen asleep until close to 11pm last night. This is the ships location.

Panama Canal May 2015 267.JPG

We headed up to get our coffee. She just got the regular coffee but I decided to get a latte at Cove Cafe. I must have already got one as I know I already had my punch card by now but I am sure this was only my second one so far. Lynvall was the only one working in there this a.m and I was the only guest. He was surprised because he said last year it was super busy. We both decided it was because so many on this cruise had been on previous Canal cruises and thus a little less interested in getting up so early to get a "good" spot.

By the time Aunt Connie and I actually got everything together to get a spot it was close to 6:45 and there was still a fair amount of room close to the front just before the sports court and thus where the ship curves out a bit so actually a pretty good seat in my opinion. We also took advantage of the little coffee and pastry station they had set up. I still had my travel coffee cup so refilled a couple times. Maybe I got too much caffeine for the heat. It was HOT HOT HOT!

Panama Canal May 2015 272.JPG

We overheard a lot of people saying how this was different than previous years as the ship had anchored on this side (Atlantic) the night before crossing and fueled up. Now call me an ignorant blonde, but I never even thought of the need for fuel!!! Some were quite concerned if we had enough to get through the canal. We were scheduled on this trip to anchor on the Pacific side and fuel. I didn't worry as I was sure they had things figured out. But the more they talked the more worried Aunt Connie got. She told me she was worried about the fuel and also the supply of fresh water. I tried not to laugh while I explained the ship makes its own fresh water. This is one of the things I watched on the stateroom TV a few cruises ago. I always enjoy watching how cruise ships work. Which makes me wonder why I never thought of fueling up. But from the other peoples talk I did realize we missed a neat sight of the shore lights by not anchoring overnight here.

OK. Enough jabbering. Here are some pictures of the ships waiting to get into the canal. Usually the cruise ships get their time well in advance but some of the freight ships just have to wait for an opening. Which shows how much tourists think of themselves when this canals purpose is for freight!!!!

Panama Canal May 2015 273.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 276.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 277.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 280.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 282.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 284.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 286.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 290.JPG

Panama Canal Gatun Locks

Here is just some scenery getting closer in to the locks.

Panama Canal May 2015 296.JPG

Where the French tried to cut.

Panama Canal May 2015 298.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 299.JPG

It was actually closer to 9:00 by the time we would get to the locks. I had emailed family when it was announced that it would be on the webcam. Mom and my brother each watched. My brother was so excited he printed out a picture. My uncle does not really do anything on the computer so Mom offered to come over and watch with him but he told her he didn't need to see. Guess that was why he allowed his wife to go without him???

This was the boat that brought out the pilot that gets on to steer the ship through the canal.

Panama Canal May 2015 307.JPG

It was hot out, did I mention? We had now been out for about two hours. My foot was hurting because of what I'd stepped on yesterday, I had not enough sleep but too much caffeine, so I was getting quite head aching and just plain not feeling good. Though we had not actually brought a chair up ourselves, a group had offered one of their chairs to the "older" couple next to us. They declined but I took it. Then Aunt Connie thinks they meant we could use any of their chairs and goes over to grab one. The guy did not say anything but he did pull his other chair closer to him (though they really weren't using it). I was a little shocked myself, but I think she realized what she did and did ask if was OK at that point. I think the guy was too shocked to say no, and like I said they really weren't using it. Then the lady next to us came back with a T-shirt and before I even realized what was going on Aunt Connie told me to watch her chair while she got in line to get that shirt. The line was really long. I just thought it was funny because here I was watching a chair that "really" wasn't hers and she was standing in line just because it was a shirt. This was another instance of her not listening to me actually. I had told her we don't stop in Panama. And she had the itinerary for crying out loud. But she kept saying she would be getting my uncle and my brother and nephew shirts in Panama. I kept saying we don't stop. Then she had turned to me while we were in Columbia and said her friend said we stop once we get through the canal just long enough for a short shopping trip
:rotfl2::confused3:rolleyes2:rolleyes1 Well it is true her friend did sail through the canal but on a DIFFERENT cruise. So Aunt Connie did not believe me until we asked at guest services that morning. Which of course I felt stupid for asking but she wasn't going to :mad:

So while she stood in line we got closer to the locks.

Panama Canal May 2015 311.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 312.JPG

Then she got back and I had to run to the room to get more batteries for my camera. This is scenery out our window while I was there. And our exact location.

Panama Canal May 2015 317.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 319.JPG

And big bonus when I was walking back to our location the line for shirts was non existant and they still had one left in Dads size so I just grabbed that up :thumbsup2

Then we saw the water being let out of the locks.

Panama Canal May 2015 322.JPG

That was from the other side than the one we went into. Our ship was using the locks on the left today. Looks like a tight squeeze :eek:

Panama Canal May 2015 324.JPG

Last edited:
Panama Canal/Looking at locks from different deck levels.

Finally at 9 a.m. we were heading through the first lock. The gates are in a v shape so the pressure of the water will keep them closed. They said something about this bridge but I am not sure what. My guess would be they need to hae it clear of traffic before letting out the water :laughing:

Panama Canal May 2015 328.JPG

And getting our pictures taken :)

Panama Canal May 2015 332.JPG

The top of a guide locomotive

Panama Canal May 2015 334.JPG

A good look at the walls of the lock next to us

Panama Canal May 2015 336.JPG

A good look at how far we will rise up in this lock

Panama Canal May 2015 337.JPG

After the first lock we went down to deck four to watch from there. It was a lot less crowded. They also had coffee and pastry service out here too. No more caffeine for me though :sick: This was a cool view and a lot less crowded than on top.

Panama Canal May 2015 344.JPG

Looking straight down not much of a gap. I never noticed the bug in this picture until I posted it.

Panama Canal May 2015 347.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 348.JPG

For the third lock we moved down to deck three. I grabbed one of the porthole windows outside of Cadillac Lounge. Once again hardly anyone around down here. I guess if you had your own porthole on two you would not need to crowd the public portholes on three but if you are in need of one they are all along the hall between guest services and Parrot Cay. But the ones int he hall of Route 66 are the ones you can sit in. And it was so peaceful actually. Just sitting back for the ride in.

Panama Canal May 2015 350.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 353.JPG

Last edited:
Panama Canal Gatun Lake crossing

Now we were going to be entering the lake.

Panama Canal May 2015 354.JPG

Say goodbye to the little engines.

Panama Canal May 2015 357.JPG

They were stamping passports at 10:00 and Aunt Connie had run to get mine as she had to get hers anyway and my foot was really bothering me. After we did our passports we headed to the infirmity to have my foot checked. The physician was a pretty matter of fact fellow. He did say it looked to be a sea urchin and I would just have to let it dissolve. He could get me some antibacterial cream but I said I had some Poly-sporin so did not need anything else. He also said to soak it in hot water. He did not even crack a smile when I said "So the Doctors orders are to relax in the hot tub?" There was no charge for this visit but I did have travel insurance that would've covered any bill. One trip with a near incident was all it took to convince me to always buy full coverage travel insurance. FYI my foot got better in about three days though it still would be noticeable at times until about the end of June.

At this point I headed to the hot tub, by myself of course. I also laid out on deck ten between dips in the hot tub and pool. The wonderful scenery all around. The lake crossing really was my favorite part of this cruise.

Panama Canal May 2015 360.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 361.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 364.JPG

A lady who asked me to watch her sleeping kid took this picture for me.

Panama Canal May 2015 366.JPG

More of the lake.

Panama Canal May 2015 369.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 372.JPG

They still had the coffee service out and I thought this was cute

Panama Canal May 2015 375.JPG

Another ship :boat:

Panama Canal May 2015 377.JPG

Panama Canal lake crossing

Aunt Connie and I spent almost the entire day apart from one another. Which worked for me because having skipped any sort of breakfast I needed lunch. I had told Aunt Connie earlier about the BBQ they would have at Beach Blanket for the Panama Canal day and she said that sounded like too much. So I went through and loaded my plate and ate every last bite.

Panama Canal May 2015 380.JPG

Back out to the lake. The water was getting muddier on this side.

Panama Canal May 2015 381.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 383.JPG

The funnel vision showed the bridge view all day.

Panama Canal May 2015 386.JPG

I went to take a shower around this time. Aunt Connie back to room just as I left to go get some ice cream for my Bailey's. Then I sat out taking notes and enjoying my drink on our veranda. The water was clearing up.

Panama Canal May 2015 390.JPG
Panama Canal May 2015 390.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 391.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 392.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 393.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 397.JPG
Panama Canal May 2015 401.JPG

Panama Canal Pedro Miguel Locks

We approached these locks at 2:00Panama Canal May 2015 403.JPG

I watched from inside the Cadillac Lounge. This time we were going down. This set of locks consists of just onelevel and a bit further up is the last set of locks.

Panama Canal May 2015 408.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 409.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 415.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 417.JPG

After we had reached the next level I went out to the secret aft deck on seven.

Panama Canal May 2015 420.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 422.JPG

Then just a bit later we were approaching the last of the locks, Miraflores.

Panama Canal May 2015 431.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter