• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I had to WONDER about the Panama Canal and Disneyland.....until now!!!COMPLETED 9/4

I took the long way back to the room and a few more pictures. Looking down the stairways.

my phonr 414.JPG
The lights up on top.

Panama Canal May 2015 800.JPG

The back stairs that most people don't know about but I used them quite often. I know it is a really exciting photo. I take pictures of silly things because I am silly :crazy:

my phonr 309 (1).JPG

Our Stateroom door with the magnets that managed to stay on. Way too much paint on these doors now. Most of the magnets that managed to stay on had solid magnet backs.

Panama Canal May 2015 803.JPG

Tomorrow would be Cabo and I was looking forward to a day off the ship in a new destination. Although technically it already was tomorrow by the time I got to sleep.

Day Fourteen: Cabo San Lucas

I really didn't sleep much because I was up at 5:30. I was excited for Cabo. It was still dark outside. Then the sunrise started.

my phonr 429.JPG

I went up to get coffee while the sunrise was still happening and saw the rocks on the other side of the ship.

Panama Canal May 2015 822.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 823.JPG

And the town waking up also.

Panama Canal May 2015 826.JPG

Back in the room I took some more sunrise pictures and a seagull photo bombed (in a good way)

my phonr 436.JPG

my phonr 439.JPG

Aunt Connie was busy calling everyone even though it was early. She could not wait to talk to anyone anymore. As far as my mom goes she would be up anyhow. I asked her how Uncle Clint would take it her calling so early and she said he has to talk to her no matter what. Then she called my sister and my brother and her other sister. I talked to my mom and that was good enough for me. Of course I had been in touch through email the whole cruise so didn't feel that desperate need. Even though Aunt Connie had contributed to the emails and read all replies she just needed to actually talk to people.

By 7:00 we headed to get breakfast at Beach Blanket.

my phonr 442.JPG

A Royal Caribbean ship was pulling up.

my phonr 440.JPG

my phonr 443.JPG

We walked along deck four on the way to get my extra navigator.

my phonr 446.JPG

At 8:00 we headed to our excursion meeting area which was in WaveBands. I liked seeing the rocks right as we got down the stairs and turned left.

my phonr 451.JPG
We were about ten minutes early for the meeting time. We didn't even leave the ship until 8:30 so it felt like a really long wait. You tender in in Cabo.

Panama Canal May 2015 829.JPG

We got on a large boat like the one in the picture. It could've even been the one in the picture but I do think there were two and ours was behind that one but it is three months+ ago now and the memory is fading. Aunt Connie and I were the first ones on and we headed to the top deck. It was hot but I didn't feel that it was unbearable. We did have to wait for everyone else to board before we took off so we didn't get breeze for about 15 minutes. It gave us time to put on sunscreen. Several excursions were on this boat, at least four different ones. It seemed like all from the WONDER but there could have been some from the RC ship. Even though one could see the rocks just fine from the cruise ship or just on land this boat ride got us closer and on the other side of the rocks. The plus was it was a really nice boat. There was the open top deck; the middle deck had a "dining room" , an outside deck area, and the restrooms (which were real nice and the windows opened and I had no crowding arms in my photos then:)); the lower deck a lounge room with nice chairs. Plus going out we listened to a narrative by Jacques Cousteau about Land's End and the marine life.

my phonr 457.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 837.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 840.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 841.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 848.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 854.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 862.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 889.JPG

Last edited:
More rock photos

Panama Canal May 2015 866.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 875.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 880.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 882.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 892.JPG
We were back in dock at 10:00 and once off the boat separated into our different excursions. Aunt Connie and I wound up last in our line. So once we got to the bus we had the last available seats but somebody switched so we could sit together. We heard a bit about the town on our way to the beach but the speaker was muffled and I wasn't paying attention.

Who will feed me?

Panama Canal May 2015 912.JPG
We passed the Sandos resort. My aunt used to stay at Sandos in the Riviera Maya and now it is a GALA resort.

Panama Canal May 2015 915.JPG
Looks much like other Mexican resort towns.

Panama Canal May 2015 916.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 920.JPG
And this is where we wound up for our beach break.

Panama Canal May 2015 922.JPG

We got to our beach area and our guide told us we would be here for three hours. Now Aunt Connie has a friend who has a timeshare at a resort in the Riveria Maya area on the other side of Mexico. They have gone there for the last ten years and have gotten to know some of the staff quite well. One of their favorite bartenders has moved to Cabo in the last two. Connie's friends keep in touch with him and Connie was excited about being able to meet up with him while here. However she did not have his phone number and the arrangements to meet him were made through her friend two weeks ago at this point. We had picked this excursion because I wanted it and it gave us time to meet up with her friend before boarding the ship again. The excursion specifically was listed as an hour and half beach time. So Aunt Connie in a loud whine said "Well I guess I can forget about meeting Gabby!!!" I mean EVERYONE could hear her, but they probably weren't paying attention :rolleyes1 I told her we could leave earlier and get a taxi. We asked the guide and he said sure we would just have to sign a waiver we left the group and he even suggested a water taxi would be quicker. And actually we could've walked in about 20 minutes. Yet Connie had not heard from the mutual friend today and did not know if the meet was even still on. So she spent all the beach time trying to call her friend in the states and her friends husband and kept getting voicemail. Then she was also trying her husband to see if he could get a hold of them. Once she finally did it turns out the meet had been scheduled for 4:00 p.m!!! We would be sailing away at that point so who knows what was wrong with her friend in the states (that is a whole other story actually as I do know what is wrong with her). All the calls had been made and Gabby could still meet at the marina at 2:00.

I took in the beach

my phonr 470.JPG

my phonr 471.JPG

my phonr 472.JPG

While Aunt Connie was making all these calls I got in the water. It was a little rough with the waves but I enjoyed it, though a little crowded. I came out once to eat. Food was included and you could get either a burrito, tacos or nachos.We both got he nachos and they were yummy. Loved the plates too. Wish I had them at home.

my phonr 473.JPG

Also included were two drink coupons. We got beer on all of them though you could've gotten a mixed drink or colas for the non drinkers. I miss this hat but it had lived a good life and was on deaths row on this cruise. I didn't even pack it to come home :sad:

my phonr 474.JPG

At this point Aunt Connie was still on the phones and the guide asked her what her decision was on leaving. He said we would actually be leaving a bit earlier and he could have the bus drop us right off at the bar we planned to meet at. She thought that would would work based on what we knew now.

I went back into the water and talked to a lady from the Royal Caribbean ship. They too had come through the canal. I think they went through on the same day as us but I took no notes on this conversation so whatever I say now could be entirely made up in my mind! I know for sure she said they got on in San Juan and stopped in Cozumel, Costa Rica, and Guatemala. They had at least one other port. She said she had been nervous over the length but was really enjoying it and loved the ship. I have sailed RC and I really like them. The only other line I have cruised is Celebrity and though I did not dislike them would not choose them again unless they went somewhere RC or Disney did not. Overall I think RC is the best value for your money and does not break the bank like Disney unfortunately can.

Some pictures of the bar windows

Panama Canal May 2015 926.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 928.JPG

When we did gather up to leave our guide said his sister was taking over but she knew to stop at the bar. However she forgot and Aunt Connie became a nervous wreck again. The bus driver drove us back over though and we wound up at the bar before Gabby. Now Aunt Connie was worried about missing the ship and said she would only wait long enough for us to drink the margaritas we had ordered and if he wasn't here then we would leave. I still don't know why she hadn't got his phone number yet. I strolled the stores right next to the bar while she waited. When I got back he and his wife and son were there. I was surprised how they seemed to really enjoy seeing her. Maybe there is more to her than I know :confused3

We visited for about 20 minutes and he said he had watched the ship pull up that a.m. Both he and his wife work at the same resort. They are a bit higher up and get to live right there. It was going into the off season there and the we are one of the last ships coming through. Summer is too hot for the cruise and resort business. I enjoyed meeting them as I had heard a bit about them from Aunt Connie. He had cancer (I forget which kind) but it is in remission now and he seems to be doing fine. He was actually a big man for a Mexican. At least two inches taller than me and I am 5'8".

We walked back to the ship and as is Aunt Connie's way once she felt we were in no danger of missing the ship we stopped in at least two more shops. I wound up getting some gifts for my family and close friends, mostly baseball caps and vanilla, stuff I knew they would use. We made it on the second to last tender.

Some flowers on the way back to the ship

Panama Canal May 2015 931.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 933.JPG

The anchor had been pulled up and the tender platforms raised except the last one we got onto the ship on.

my phonr 478.JPG
One thing I will say about the tendering process. Disney used a tendering service with at least four but I think I saw six tender boats. Royal Caribbean used their own lifeboats to tender and only had two. Coming back the line for Royal was backed way up and we walked right on. Talking to others back on the WONDER it never had a line. Plus they handed us cool washcloth's and we had the shady side. The poor people in Royals line were in the sun and I did not see any washcloth's being handed out. This may be a fluke as I am pretty sure I remember being given a washcloth on one of my Royal sailings when tendering in Grand Cayman. However I cannot recall for sure about the type of tender used then, I also thought it was a service tender.

Aunt Connie was nice and let me take the first shower since I had been in the ocean water and she never had. I was in it at 3:40 and out in time for sail away. I had the rum shot I'd bought in Cozumel in my Coke. I just learned Disney is trying once again to do away with the policy allowing liquor on board. It may sound like I was one who abused this but I only had one bottle of port, one bottle of Baileys (each of these was .350 liters or less) and the three shot size bottles of liquors. I could handle a cruise without and not be spending much more on my bar bill but it was one of the best policies. The best part was buying it in ports and bringing it on as you could get unique/cheaper liquors and enjoy during the cruise. If necessary I know of ways to sneak it on, and it wouldn't be anymore than what I took on this cruise so I would not feel guilty.

There was no sail away party which disappointed me. Could not get enough pictures of the rocks though. I swear I have a hundred photos of just the rocks from this trip. My total photo count from the cruise was just under 700. Most of them no good :laughing:

Panama Canal May 2015 941.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 943.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 945.JPG
This was a game that the kids played. I heard it did not work out so well by the pool so they moved it inside for the next day and the Alaska sailings.

Panama Canal May 2015 952.JPG

Our dinner tonight was in Animators Palate. It was the debut of the FROZEN menu.

my phonr 484.JPG my phonr 485.JPG

Appetizer was Elsa's Coronation Scallops. It was kind of a scallop pot pie. Different and just OK.

my phonr 487.JPG
Portobello Mushroom Consomme. Blah in my opinion.

my phonr 488.JPG
Anna's Honey Mustard marinated Salmon. Did not taste like honey mustard but more of a lemon taste. It was OK for the first couple bites but then I just didn't like it. The chicken looked good. Vancouver ordered it and said it was good.

my phonr 489.JPG

my phonr 492.JPG

my phonr 493.JPG

The sweet temptations in order to try as much as possible. Almond Berry Crumble was so so. White Chocolate Floro Dome I liked. The Norwegian Pancake lacked flavor to me.

my phonr 494.JPG
The no sugar citron mousse had interested me so I got that too. Thank goodness as it was the best part of the meal.

my phonr 495.JPG
Sorry I did not like the FROZEN menu. Possibly I ordered all the wrong items. Or maybe its a carry over of the fact I didn't really care for the movie. Whatever the reason I was glad we still had the the Til We Meet Again Menu as I knew I liked those items.

They gave us all a light up snowflake necklace to wear to the FROZEN deck party. I let my friend use it in Disneyland and never got it back. I am a bit bummed now that I remember that but I guess I have gone three months without thinking about it so I should "Let it go" pun intended.

After dinner and our walk I started the last load of laundry. It seems I did a lot of laundry during my writing of this report but I never felt like it at the time. Being just down the hall from the laundry room sure helped. We both read until 9:40 p.m. when we got ourselves bundled up for the FROZEN party. No one can control the weather like Disney! I remember my frist cruise and stop at Castaway Cay how the clouds looked like Mickey and Donald. That is because they were on my mind and you can make the clouds look like whatever you are thinking. But tonight REALLY was FREEZING. We both had two sweatshirts on. I had my longest capris. I had not packed jeans. Before we left I looked over the recommended packing list again and saw jeans and almost added them but told Mom and she said you won't need them. Just for the record I am NEVER traveling anywhere again without jeans. I wore socks and tennis shoes and grabbed a blanket, those that I had wondered why they were on the ship. We could not get warm. And the show just did nothing to entice us to stay. After about 15 minutes we headed down and I got my clothes out of the dryer. WARMTH!!!

So we went to bed just after 10:30. Only one day left now :-(

Panama Canal May 2015 958.JPG

I am really enjoying your trip report. My husband and I live in San Diego and we will be taking our first Disney cruise on the Wonder this October while she is home ported in San Diego for a short time. After reading your report I'm so much more excited. I do have a couple of questions for you, how do you sign up for the tastings and can you do that in advance? Second question what shore excursion did you take in Cabo? I'm disabled and have mobility issues. I can walk, but short distances only. Since we tender in Cabo I won't be able to take my scooter ashore, was the excursion you took easy walking? Thank you.

I do have a couple of questions for you,

1)how do you sign up for the tastings and can you do that in advance?

2)what shore excursion did you take in Cabo? I'm disabled and have mobility issues. I can walk, but short distances only. Since we tender in Cabo I won't be able to take my scooter ashore, was the excursion you took easy walking? Thank you.

1) You can always sign up as soon as you board at guest services. Sometimes they have designated areas, like a dining room or bar/lounge to sign up but guest services is usually faster. And do so ASAP after boarding as they fill up quickly, especially mixology. The only way to sign up before boarding is if there is someone organizing a group. I think the minimum is 30 people for a private group. I joined the mixology class this way through the DIS cruise meet. You might check there to see if there is someone organizing events for your cruise.

2) The boat that took us by the rocks was just down the tender dock once we arrived, I would say less than 100 yards but more than 50. From the boat to the bus was not far but I'm guessing it might be a bit too far for you. Four blocks at least and over some curbs. I would say look into the boat ride which I believed was offered just by itself. I think it was called Lands End cruise and mine had the beach break.

1) You can always sign up as soon as you board at guest services. Sometimes they have designated areas, like a dining room or bar/lounge to sign up but guest services is usually faster. And do so ASAP after boarding as they fill up quickly, especially mixology. The only way to sign up before boarding is if there is someone organizing a group. I think the minimum is 30 people for a private group. I joined the mixology class this way through the DIS cruise meet. You might check there to see if there is someone organizing events for your cruise.

2) The boat that took us by the rocks was just down the tender dock once we arrived, I would say less than 100 yards but more than 50. From the boat to the bus was not far but I'm guessing it might be a bit too far for you. Four blocks at least and over some curbs. I would say look into the boat ride which I believed was offered just by itself. I think it was called Lands End cruise and mine had the beach break.

Thank you for the info.

Day Fifteen: Our last sea day

I couldn't sleep in and got up at 6:30 to do some packing. I went to get a latte from Cove Cafe and the Navigator from Guest Services. Back in the room I topped off the latte with the last of the Bailey's. Have to have it all gone by tomorrow anyway and I still had port for tonight. Aunt Connie was ready for breakfast at close to 8:00. We ate at the buffet and outside even though it was a bit cool.

my phonr 509.JPG

After breakfast we both did some packing, though I was mostly done. Then we went to watch Casablanca in the BV theater. They had played this during the canal crossing and no one could understand why they had it that day. So a lot of people were happy it was scheduled again for today. The theater was at least half full or at least felt that way. After the movie I went through the shops one more time and saw my Dooney & Burke with a slightly better design layout. I went to grab mine (which I had already packed) to change it out. The guy today was real nice and even went into the back to pull all the bags so I could get the one that pleased me the most. After packing my exchanged bag I was pretty much done with the packing except for the stuff I would be using today and tonight so I went out to the pool deck while Aunt Connie did her packing.

We were on our way to San Diego.

my phonr 510.JPG

The ship was moving fairly fast and it was breezy plus the air temperature was cooler than the areas we had been during this cruise so it felt cold. I did get some pizza before I went to find a warmer location.

my phonr 511.JPG

Deck four was a bit better but still chilly. At least it was really easy to get a chair. Some pictures of the coast.

my phonr 512.JPG

my phonr 514.JPG

I think I managed to stay out for about 45 minutes before I couldn't take it any longer. Aunt Connie had joined me only like ten minutes before and was freezing. It felt so nice to walk into the warmth of the ship.

For whatever reason my notes stop now. So relying only on my photos I will try to finish off this report. I have some Disneyland notes but not much there. I was too busy running around.

That afternoon they let the Deck Band from the talent show do an encore performance by the pool. It was a bit warmer now and the pool actually had a bit of action before they started to set up.

my phonr 515.JPG

The rest of the deck crew came out in support.

my phonr 516.JPG

I think they only played about four songs but it was pretty enjoyable.

my phonr 517.JPG

Aunt Connie felt it might be good to get a little sandwich. I could swear we shared fries too but I don't see those.

my phonr 522.JPG

Since it felt warmer I went back to relax on deck four a bit. This time I think I made it out for a full hour. Nothing else to do on the last day!

my phonr 524.JPG

Actually, Obscurity trivia was still taking place today but I was over it and had told Aunt Connie that. She took it just fine as she said she just wanted to relax too. I think she mainly sat on our veranda this afternoon.

I went to take some more photos around the ship.

my phonr 527.JPG

They had this posted by the shore excursion desk. We all got a copy of these statistics and some other neat things that night with the turndown.

my phonr 528.JPG
My favorite hallway on the ship.

my phonr 530.JPG

my phonr 532.JPG
Loved this heart on the wall in one of the stalls in the Route 66 bathroom

my phonr 533.JPG

The it was time for our last tasting of the cruise. The best for last. Martini tasting!!! Left to right Chocolate, Pomegranate, Sour apple, ????, and gin.

my phonr 536.JPG
So the instructor told his helper that we had 13 attending but she misheard and made 30 of each drink. So we had extras :drinking:I went back for my three favorites. Definitely the best tasting of the cruise!!!

my phonr 537.JPG
Then after those three were done I know I got two more. This is how everyone's table looked afterwards.

my phonr 540.JPG

And a picture with the people who made us so happy that afternoon.

my phonr 544.JPG

By now it was close to dinner so we headed up to change. We talked to everyone we had any sort of acquaintance with on the way back to the room :chat: We ran into a couple from the mixology class by the aft stairs on deck five. I asked if that was where their room was and if they had a balcony. They said yes and volunteered for us to come look at it. I wanted to because I had noticed from pictures and looking at the ship from outside that those balconies looked less deep. And it is but I don't think it would bother me as much as I thought it might. However if you have to pay the same price (which you do) I want the deeper balcony. I would say the difference is at least a foot but could be closer to a foot and half. Their room itself had more space betwwen the foot of the bed and the wall so that would be a trade off. Though I think it might be the general layout that every few rooms have less space between the bed and wall????

Dinner was in Parrot Cay. We had all made a point of asking Maryland to join us that night and they did make it. :cool1:

The menu was "Til we Meet Again"

my phonr 549.JPG

Cranberry salad

my phonr 547.JPG

Roasted Half Cornish Hen - with Israeli Couscous, Mediterranean Vegetables, and a Lemon-Herb Sauce

my phonr 548.JPG

Cappuccino Mousse off the sugar free menu. And we each got a Mickey Bar.

my phonr 553.JPG

The waiters insisted on bringing Baked Alaska though no one wanted it. Personally I have a rather intense dislike for it. Don't know why but it just tastes horrible to me, even if I try to just eat the ice cream. Psychological I am sure.

my phonr 555.JPG

Here are our waiters. By tonight they were cattier than the rest of the cruise. Probably giddy with excitement that they wouldn't have to see us much longer.

my phonr 556.JPG

Then the dinner table group photo with our Mickey Bars. I did ask if I could post just this picture. Thanks guys!!!

my phonr 557.JPG

After our evening walk we packed up the last of our items and sat the luggage out. I had sat my big suitcase outside and had just walked back inside the bathroom when I decided to put one more thing (my sunscreen since I realized I'd be inside most of tomorrow) in it. I opened the hall door and the suitcase was already gone! And not even in sight! Quickest I've ever seen them disappear. I still had room in my carry-on which I was going to go ahead and check on the flight anyway so no worries.

Then I took one last spin through and around the ship. I always say a late last night goodbye to each ship I've ever sailed. And I usually have it all to myself.

my phonr 559.JPG

my phonr 563.JPG

Then to bed with the last towel animal.

Panama Canal May 2015 965.JPG

Day Sixteen: We get the boot!

As we had the early seating we had a very early breakfast. We were awake early anyhow. It was a dreary day to suit the mood of some. Others like Aunt Connie were eager to be leaving. But she did say and still says she is glad she did it but it was just too long with her other vacations and not being able to "hear" others voices.

my phonr 565.JPG

Getting our coffee we could take a good look around.

my phonr 566.JPG

my phonr 572.JPG

my phonr 573.JPG
It was exactly like I recalled from my previous San Diego visits. Just grayer.

Everyone was at breakfast except our servers. I am not sure why as they both said they would be on the Alaska sailings. I got an omelette sort of southwest style.

my phonr 576.JPG
We watched the goings on from Diversions. I had originally booked a noon flight, rather relishing the idea of such an "early" flight since I normally sail from Port Canaveral and have to do afternoon flights. But then I had read that it can sometimes take a long time for ships to clear customs in San Diego. And even with the airport so close that people have barely made their noon flights. So when Southwest lowered the 2 p.m. flight to the same price I paid for the noon one I switched. However I never notified DCL so we still had an early disembarkation time. We didn't HAVE to get off then but I knew the luggage would just be sitting in the terminal and I worried about reconnecting with it. And as everything went so smooth we were cleared at 8:00. Aunt Connie had no problem waiting as she now could call everyone. It was funny listening to her conversations because they really did not involve anything about our trip or even our travel plans for today but about little life things. The neighbors. So and so's life choices. Etc.... Really we view things completely different as reality and other peoples lives hold no interest for me!!!!

my phonr 578.JPG

The very final interior ship photos. Not that any of my photos have been great but I do know I had the regular camera packed so only phone pictures here on out.

my phonr 580.JPG

my phonr 583.JPG

my phonr 584.JPG

my phonr 585.JPG

We gave it until 9:00 and since Diversions was now getting full decided to go ahead and get off the ship. We did not have to wait as our time had already been called but did have to snake through some people hanging out in the atrium waiting for their time to be called.

Once off our luggage was right up front and a bit easier to find as most bags had already been claimed. We did have about a 10-15 minute wait in the customs line but got through pretty easy. Then we got right out and into a taxi. This was another point of concern as I had also read some experiences of long waits for the taxis, but we got one right away. I don't think we were outside the building for more than two minutes, which was good as it was a steady drizzle.

Goodbye WONDER

my phonr 586.JPG
Less than ten minute ride to the airport. It was packed with people. We couldn't check in yet as it was more than four hours before our flight. We found some seats and Aunt Connie made some more phone calls. I started checking my email and that was when I noticed I had been charged for a hotel in Miami that I had looked at while researching this trip but don't recall having made a reservation. It was a Hampton hotel so I checked my Hampton account and it was not listed there. I searched my email for any email from then with a confirmation and came up with nothing. I rarely delete email, unless it is just advertising, it is way overcrowded and know I need to go through it but it becomes overwhelming. In this case I was glad as now I could be pretty confident I never made a reservation but how they got my cc info remains a mystery. I called the hotel and though the first girl I talked to said I had to have had a reservation that I failed to cancel so she could do nothing, when I asked for and got a manager and asked why I had no email confirmation and furthermore no record in my Hampton account he gladly put the refund through.

We then went to check in for the flight as it was now within four hours. They had changed the sign to only TWO hours before!!!! When I asked a Southwest employee he said because they were backed up with a cruise ship having been in town. Duh. So we hauled our luggage back to the other end of the terminal which was quiet while we kept up with phone calls and internet. Now I decided to check my other Credit Card balance. More hotel room charges!!! This for the hotel we were staying at tonight but for the date of 5/10 and TWO rooms. Right away I get with the date that this is though the reservations I made for 5/1/2016 ParkSleepFly. I had booked these for a ridiculous low rate (for Denver) for the cruise we might take next year. I had wondered how ParkSleepFly got next year booked when it wasn't showing for booking yet directly through the hotel. I called ParkSleepFly and the lady was very unemotional. Not in a bad way but it was just very matter of fact with her. She did say she would call the hotel and have them refund my money. Not to much later I am looking at my email and receive one from Marriot about my cancellation of TONIGHTS reservation!!! Also made through ParkSleepFly so I now the wrong reservation has been cancelled. So I call Marriott directly to see if they can still get me a room. The reservationist I talked to there was VERY unsympathetic. Once a reservation is cancelled that is it she said. She said I could get a room at the current rate, $250 more than my reservation had been for!!!! I said I cant pay that and she said that was my only option. I told her my whole story and towards the end I started to cry a bit as I was now quite stressed. She HUNG UP on me!!!! Now maybe she didn't handle it the best because I wasn't handling it the best but I thought that was uncalled for. If she can't do anything that is fine but tell me in a kind way and sympathize a bit. Don't just hang up!!! As I am staring at my phone mouth agape I get a call from an unknown number and when I answer it is the ParkSleepFly lady. She called to explain all that happened and that the reservation for tonight was being reinstated and next years too along with all my refunds. Still no emotion whatsoever in her voice but I loved her now. I never did get next years reservations back but that is ok even with the $15 deposit gone that I paid for them. By then I was over it and I might still call ParkSleepFly but don't feel it is worth arguing at this point. At least we had a decently priced room for tonight.

I was standing outside during these calls and saw this mural. Appropriate.

my phonr 588.JPG

Now it was time to check in. Then sign was back to saying you could check in four hours before flight time :rolleyes:

I guess forgot how crowded the Southwest concourse is in San Diego. I remember the first time I flew out of San Diego's airport was on a concourse that had lots of shops and some rocking chairs lined up, though maybe that was the terminal area. San Diego has more than one terminal too. So the day that we have to wait forever at the airport we have a crummy terminal at teensy tiny concourse. Oh well it was all about to be ending. I got a salad and iced latte at Einsteins once on the concourse. Aunt Connie really was craving a McDonalds cheeseburger but alas no McD's. She did find a cheeseburger though. I never understand people who like McD's. I can eat a breakfast biscuit there once a year and that is my limit. I have a friend who eats there once a week. To each their own. Some can't stand Starbuck's and I can't get enough.

Soon enough we boarded. Aunt Connie had wanted to add early bird boarding and I think we had A25 and A26 boarding numbers so we got a window seat up front and she let me have it.

We took off and if you look close you can see the WONDER in dock with new people on it.

my phonr 593.JPG

my phonr 597.JPG

When we landed the weather looked ominous in Denver and I guess there had been some Tornado warnings but we made it just fine. It was a rough decent but the landing itself one of the smoothest I ever had.

We got on the shuttle to out hotel after getting the bags. I was looking forward to getting some food at the hotel. My sister and her husband had helped Mom drive down to pick us up. Actually they had come to Denver on unrelated business, met Mom halfway down as they live in a town further west than us, and decided to spend the night because they were running late.

Now this is how it always worked for my sister. She was with my Mom when she checked in with our great rate that had come back. The front desk had told my sister the best they could get her was $100 more (still better than what that uncaring girl had told me earlier). So my sister gets a hang dog look and they day they might be able to get a closer match and did $109 just like mine!!! I swear it always works for her!!!!

We all ate together in the lounge but no one really talked about the cruise. That is my family for you and why I rebooked for a solo cruise next year.

But the Trip Report is not over as I still head back out to California in a few days with my friend to check out Disneyland and California Adventure for my first time. Coming very shortly.....

I really enjoyed your report.
I'm hoping our family can do this trip in 2017.

Thanks for reading. I wonder if the expansion on the locks will be done. They say 2016 but it looked like a LONG way to go. If they are done I also wonder how many larger cruise ships will be going through, but I think mostly ships that transition from Alaska go through and I still think it's better to have smaller ships for Alaska.

What a great trip report: so insightful.

Glad you thought so. I wasn't really trying to be. Just reporting the facts and my thoughts (which aren't insightful to me)

I forgot the name of the CM on the right, but she remembers my DH by name from previous cruises. She is great! Your trip report is excellent! Thanks again for sharing!!

She was very sweet. And however it happened I am glad she made extra Martinis!!!!

I never really got anyone's names and I do feel bad over that. I guess I always thought I'd write them down the next day. When I filled out my comment card I know I mentioned our host by name and also a very cheery bathroom attendant who was ALWAYS smiling. I just neglected to write their names in my notes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter