I had to WONDER about the Panama Canal and Disneyland.....until now!!!COMPLETED 9/4

Panama Canal Miraflores locks

I had to run up to catch Chip & Dale in their sailor costumes.

Panama Canal May 2015 433.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 436.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 434.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 437.JPG

My Bailey's and ice cream was not enough. I needed the drink of the day. I was feeling much better after the food and shower by the way. No more head ache or heat exhaustion.

Panama Canal May 2015 446.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 445.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 447.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 454.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 456.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 457.JPG

Panama Canal Miraflores locks

Hey look.....I'd be heading out there in a little over a week!

Panama Canal May 2015 458.JPG

Aunt Connie was with me now but for some reason I had someone else take this picture.

Panama Canal May 2015 459.JPG

Going down

Panama Canal May 2015 461.JPG

One of the older locomotives (no longer used)

Panama Canal May 2015 469.JPG

It was cool to watch the water pour out.

Panama Canal May 2015 478.JPG

Panama City

Panama Canal May 2015 490.JPG

Bridge of the Americas. The Pacific is just out there in a little distance now.

Panama Canal May 2015 491.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 492.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 498.JPG

Attachments

• Panama Canal May 2015 474.JPG
    Panama Canal May 2015 474.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Panama Canal Bridge of Americas

We both wound up back in the room as we passed under the bridge.

Panama Canal May 2015 505.JPG

my phonr 296.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 509.JPG

It was getting to be time to get ready for dinner. Both of us got ready quickly and then were really ready too early. She stretched out on the couch and started to play solitaire on her iPad. For some reason this REALLY bothered me so I said I was just going to go walking until dinner. I stopped to look if the Chip & Dale sailor photos were finished in Shutters. I saw Maryland waiting in there too for the dining room to open. Tonight was Animators Palate with the Panama Canal menu.

my phonr 303.JPG

Steamed Crab Royal for the appatizer

my phonr 300.JPG

Radicchio and Cucumber salad

my phonr 301.JPG

Baked Lobster Tail

my phonr 302.JPG

Sweet temptations as I could not decide on one tonight. Strawberry cheesecake,White Chocolate Panna Cotta, Connoli Panimanian and I asked for a scoop of the butter pecan ice cream from tonight's sundae flavor. Yep, ate it all:o

my phonr 304.JPG

In my defense I did do more walking tonight as my foot felt better than last night. But because we were fueling we could not walk the full loop around deck four.

my phonr 308.JPG

But it was still quite warm out so I really only did about what amounted to 2 laps so not even a mile. I left Aunt Connie and was back in the room at 8:20. To my surprise Aunt Connie came in no more than two minutes later. It got too hot for her too. So after a long eventful and HOT day we turned in early. I think the towel animal is a sloth?

Panama Canal May 2015 512.JPG

I did have to wake at 3am for a restroom visit and the lights on this side of the canal were very pretty. So for what it is worth I think you get nice lights on either side during the overnight anchoring for fuel.;)

Day Nine: At Sea

WE woke at 6:15 and ran up to watch the sunrise but it was too late. According to the Navigator it should have risen at 6:12 but I think it must have started earlier as it was all the way up by the time we got to deck ten which was no later than 6:20. Aunt Connie grabbed her coffee and went to start her laundry while I went to Cove Cafe and got a latte then went up to the Outlook to take my notes.

We (I) decided today would be a good day to try the sit down breakfast in Triton's.

my phonr 310.JPG

I got the stacked french toast.

my phonr 311.JPG

Our dinner waiter was serving at the next station to where we were seated and though he said good morning he did not spend much time chatting with us. We did have a really nice server for our breakfast though, and spent a good fifteen minutes talking to him before we left the restaurant. It was pretty slow for breakfast so the wait staff did have lots of time to make conversation with you. This was the only time we ate here for breakfast but I passed by on other days and never saw it more than half full at any given time.

After breakfast while Aunt Connie finished her laundry I soaked my foot in the hot tub. Then at 10:15 I headed tot he atrium for Jack Jacks Diaper Dash. I wanted to see how this panned out with so few babies on board. I love watching on the other cruises when they'll wind up with several heats to get the winner. Alas, only three babies competed this time. And they had a hard time gathering that many!!! It was still cute.

After that i found Aunt Connie on four talking to the Maryland couple. I just sat back and let them talk. Anytime I tried to get a word in I would basically be dismissed by Connie. That was probably just my imagination but I decided to let them be while I took a little nap before the olive oil and vinegar class at 11:30. This class was interesting but it really was stuff I mostly knew. EVOO is best for anything you'll be dipping or dressings but for cooking, frying, even baking, Virgin is just fine as you'll be losing all the benefits of the extra virgin through the heat. Not that it would harm your food but that you'll just be spending more on it. Also he, like me, said he would never use oil that came in anything other than a glass container. I hate how so much of everything comes in plastic anymore. I did like all the vinegar we tried. He had us try it just by itself no bread or anything and some people had a hard time with that (coughing, sour expressions, etc) but I could eat vinegar by the spoonful just fine. Yep I know there is something wrong with me.:crazy:

After that class we split again. I was heading back to the hot tub when walking through the family pool area I heard a Dad telling his son "Those fries look really good today. I bet they taste the best yet." I looked at them and they did look REALLY good so I got some along with the chicken sandwich. They were REALLY good!!!!

my phonr 312.JPG

After the hot tub foot soak I checked my emails. For some reason this time my data usage shot way up. I was on the free 50mb package and until now had used 16mb. After checking my email it was up to 32mb. I knew I would have to have someone help me figure out what happened. I was sure I had everything off. But that could come later as I needed water and a shower now. I did not have a bottle with me our any of my cups and I hate wasting the paper cups so I went through the buffet to get a glass from there as I could use the back steps to get to my room anyway. This trip cost me as I saw the caramel bread pudding in the dessert section. Couldn't pass it up:blush:

my phonr 313.JPG

I had brought on a bottle of port and finally opened it up with this. I love my port :drinking:and though this afternoon treat left me sleepy I was in a better frame of mind when it came time to play cards with Aunt Connie at 1:30. We played in Diversions so we could be there for Obscurity trivia at 3:00. That is what I hate about the game of Golf that she likes to play. It takes so much time. Like we didn't have time on this cruise :laughing: But it is just that I like to be outside and it was hard to play cards in the wind so we were stuck inside. On the more positive side we each did better at trivia today though no where close to winning still.

After trivia she went to ice her knee in the room and I went out to deck four to enjoy the ocean. After a bit an announcement is made that we will not be stopping at Puerto Vallarta because of unrest in the area. Instead we would have another sea day. I was actually pretty happy over this as I just love the sea days and felt I needed more already :boat: But I knew Aunt Connie was really looking forward to that port so I knew I would have to be sympathetic toward her. But before I heade in I finished my book. So I did manage one complete book on this trip. Never really got into the next one.

I took some time to head up to get ready for dinner. Stopped in the shop to look at the Vera Bradley bags and also the Dooney and Burke. I knew I would probably wind up with one by the end of the cruise but was still being good at this point.

Tonight was Toy Story.

my phonr 315.JPG

We had arrived about five minutes late for dinner though I can't remember why. I do know everyone else had ordered and we put our order in real quick. Looking around I saw some of the kids had a special Toy Story cup with a light up Buzz Lightyear attached to the straw. I asked our drink server about it and he said he hated to push those to adults. I said I really want two. I know two little boys aged eleven that would really like them. Plus I could use the cup for extra water at nights. I don't have a photo of these and I will do a spoiler that I lost a Buzz before I got them back. More on that later.

Appetizer The Prospector: Chicken and red onion flatbread with pears walnuts and Blue Cheese

my phonr 316.JPG

Salad Jessie's Flat Asparagus salad with a sour lemon olive oil dressing

my phonr 317.JPG

Entree Bullseye Chicken Criollo: with Malanaga Goat's cheese Mash, tortilla chips, and a rancho corn salsa. This was yummy!!!

my phonr 318.JPG

Sweet temptation dessert as choice too hard to make. Poached Bosc Pear Almond tart, White Chocolate raspberry truffle,
Opera slice-this had coffee cream and Bailey's sauce and was the best of the three though they all were really good.
my phonr 319.JPG

The Maryland couple did not come to dinner that night. I took the cups up to the room and then went to the internet help desk to have them help check my phone. There was a line. Aunt Connie said she would wait but I knew she wanted to get to her walking so I told her I would catch up. It did take about another five minutes with the guy right in front of me but with my turn she showed I still had the i tunes backup on and then she checked everything else and also gave me back 10mb. I did not ask for this and probably really didn't need it but was happy nonetheless. I caught up to Aunt Connie together and we still did a full mile before the show. I did want to see Toy Story the Musical and since Aunt Connie had always wanted to be going to the shows it didn't take any convincing her. The only photo I took as I know it is no photography during the shows.

my phonr 320.JPG

After the show we looked at our photos in shutters and then headed to the atrium to get my picture with Jesse and Woody.

my phonr 322.JPG

This would be a late night as tonight we both were going to do the whiskey tasting. I got up to the Outlook bar first and had to call her as she had gone back to the room. I got there at 10:15 and it started at 10:30. Outside at the adult pool we could see the crew at some kind of party and it looked like they had to answer questions and if it was wrong they had to jump in the pool. By the end they all wound up in the pool. I guess this was an adult party that had been in the navigator but I hadn't noticed it. I think because it was for the same time I knew I would be at the tasting so I hadn't looked for that time. I know it sprinkled lightly that night too as I saw it on the windows of the Outlook. It was just real light and so far the only rain we'd had on the cruise, even through the canal which is known to be rainy (rain forest and all)

The sit up when we sat down for whiskey tasting. Each glass is one and half shot so you get six shots of whiskey for $20.

my phonr 323.JPG

These are the whiskeys we wound up trying.

my phonr 324.JPG

I don't think I took much away from this tasting, except that, though I drank it all, I prefer bourbon.

Back in the room after a late night we had this greeter. And we went straight to sleep. The best thing of a late night tasting!

my phonr 325.JPG

Day Ten: Sea Day with Palo brunch and Pirate night

Despite the late night before, I was up slightly before 6 a.m. so I got to see the sunrise. First outside our room.

Panama Canal May 2015 533.JPG

Then from deck ten after I got my coffee. Aunt Connie hadn't been up when I left room.

Panama Canal May 2015 545.JPG

After getting my copy of the Navigator I was back in room at about 7. I sat out on the veranda to enjoy the morning. Aunt Connie went out to do her walking and I stayed in the room to catch up on some organizing. Hate to be disorganized on vacation but I always am. We had brunch at Palo this morning so we were not going to be eating before then. I decided to soak my foot. It was doing much better by now but this was the perfect time to enjoy the pool area without too many people out. On the way to the adult pool I saw a dance routine rehearsal at about 8:15 a.m. The dance instructor was telling them how to wave their arms and where to be on stage. This was pretty neat as I guess I never thought how the characters needed to rehearse. :confused3

my phonr 328.JPG

I must admit too that I grabbed a pastry in Cove Cafe as I knew I couldn't hold out until 10:30. After only about half an hour in the hot tub I went to watch the toddler wake up aerobics in the Promenade Lounge. It was called Wiggle aerobics and I thought it was cute to watch the toddlers pretend to be a choo choo train. By then it was time to get ready for brunch. Aunt Connie was ready before me and settled into play solitaire on the iPad. Actually this was her position at least part of each day.

Panama Canal May 2015 549.JPG

We arrived a bit early again and had to wait for the doors to open. I like to book the first time slot for brunch to see the best presentation of food.

Panama Canal May 2015 575.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 577.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 578.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 553.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 555.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 557.JPG

Palo brunch continued

Panama Canal May 2015 558.JPG

Looking at desserts to try and save room.
Panama Canal May 2015 559.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 560.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 561.JPG
Breads

Panama Canal May 2015 562.JPG
The entrees

Panama Canal May 2015 563.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 565.JPG
My plate.

Panama Canal May 2015 566.JPG
We ordered a grape and goat cheese pizza to share. Loved it as always.

Panama Canal May 2015 567.JPG

This time I decided to try the chicken parmesian that everyone raves about. Of course we split it but I could have ate the whole thing as it was soooo good!!!

Panama Canal May 2015 568.JPG

Still at Palo

I hadn't really "saved" room for dessert but I could not decide on just one thing. I think I still ate about half of each of them and I know I ate all the tiramisu

Panama Canal May 2015 569.JPG
Anastasia had been our waitress again so we got a picture. I sure do look like a giant next to her :worried:

Panama Canal May 2015 572.JPG
I grabbed a photo of our current location while in the room to change. I HAD to go for a walk.

Panama Canal May 2015 573.JPG
For whatever reason Aunt Connie couldn't walk with me. I have no idea now why but I think she wanted to go to another event. So I walked up and down each set of stairs so I could take pictures of all the art. Those pictures did not turn out well but here was some of my favorite ones that look presentable.

Panama Canal May 2015 589.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 590.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 617.JPG
I got way hot walking up and down all those stairs. It seems like by this point in the cruise they decided to save energy and not use as much AC in the public spaces. I was both red and wet when I was done but I felt like I had maybe at least worked off the tiramisu :laughing:

I had the room to myself for a bit at that point so I actually started to pack. Just the stuff that I knew I no longer needed and the coffee was the big thing. It took up half my carry on. Aunt Connie came to the room at about 1:40 and saw me doing that and left in kind of a huff that I was already packing!!! But she did say she'd meet me at our Mixology class. This was the one arranged through the DISboards. It was held in the Cadillac Lounge and it was at 2:00. I never did get a picture of all the drinks together as they did not have them all set up before we started. This is the third
time I did a Mixology class and they have all been run a bit differently. The first one I did we each made our own full size drink for each of the five drinks discussed. So five full drinks!!! The second one we each got a chance to make a drink or two but you did not drink it rather gave it to someone else. You still got to sample all the drinks as they made small size of the ones while the "mixers" worked on their drink so everyone did get to try every drink at least. This class had most of the drinks pre-made as sample size. So those started to get watered down as the instructor talked and before you got to that specific drink. But you did also get the opportunity to mix a full size one if you want and drink it in addition to the sample one. I made the jalapeno margarita and here is my art work.

my phonr 330.JPG
Some of the drinks. I have no idea what they were after I drank my margarita :lmao:Looking at my notes though I do see a Cosmo and a Yellow Bird.

my phonr 331.JPG
And a bubblegum shot. Guess I never noted what the first drink had been. We did have five.

my phonr 334.JPG
Aunt Connie made one too. I got a picture of her but she didn't take one of me while I was up there. Just as well.

my phonr 338.JPG

The class ran into Obscurity trivia time. We left at 3:20 and just went to check out who was in trivia. All the regulars including our tablemates from Ohio and Vancouver. After that we split and I went shopping. I bought the Dooney and Burke bag. Funny how Mixology lowers spending inhibitions. :rotfl:

Back in the room together we start watching Toy Story on the TV. I was surprised Aunt Connie sat down to watch it too. But Chip & Dale were coming out in their pirate costumes at 5:15 so I got ready to leave at 5:00. Aunt Connie said she would come wait in line with me but she wasn't quite ready. I said if I left now I should be at the front of the line and I hated to wait too long for her to get ready and be in the back of the line. I really did try to say it in a nice way. And she was fine with it but then she said well maybe she would come down in at 5:30 to get a photo with Jack Sparrow. I told her if she wanted that then she should actually go down now and be in line as 5:30 was when he came out but the line would form before that and I knew it would be a long slow moving line. Well she threw her hands up because she did not want to wait by herself so she said for me to just leave and she'd meet me at dinner.

Pirate Night

I was right about fourth in line for Chip & Dale

my phonr 345.JPG

After them I saw the Jack Sparrow line wasn't as bad as I thought it would be by then so I jumped in. I called Aunt Connie but she said she was over it. I said I might stay in line but I knew I would be late for dinner. She said okay should she order. I said no I should only be five minutes late. But who was I kidding! It was Captain Jack and he chats with everyone so it moved super slow. I hated to give up as his later photo op was starting before we would be out of dinner so I would not be near as close. He is not even a favorite of mine but know it just became kind of a power thing with me and Aunt Connie. Whatever!! Then the photo wasn't even worth buying but I had to snap an "illegal" picture of it anyway because of the wait. They wouldn't take photos with your camera for him tonight.

my phonr 525.JPG

So about thirteen minutes late now I get to dinner. Everyone was real understanding and had already received their appetizers anyway.

my phonr 347.JPG

I got the Pearls of the Caribbean

my phonr 348.JPG
I skipped the salad course as I wanted to make it easier for all. And I was still full from brunch! I got the Sunken treasures off the vegetarian menu. Made out of Quinoa. Actually very good.

my phonr 349.JPG
I liked the look of the dessert menu

my phonr 350.JPG
I just go the rum raisen ice creamout of the sundae. I am not always fond of pineapple.

my phonr 351.JPG
During the Pirate show in the dining room the music experienced some technical difficulties and we had to wonder if it would go on but it did. Maryland was not at dinner again tonight. And our server had been sick for the past two nights so we now had our assistant waiter as our server and a new assistant waiter. Actually it was like this guy's time to shine as he became much more talkative and animated since the move to server. And I really liked our new assistant. You could tell he was quite new to the position but we were a patient bunch.

During our after dinner walk we saw Maryland and they wanted to assure us it wasn't any of us. Not the waiters either. It was just too early for them to eat each night. They normally eat at 7:00 and with eating lunch 5:45 was just leaving them stuffed all the time. Aunt Connie proudly said how we skip lunch. Which was true (for the most part) but the way she acted like everyone needed to was uncalled for. She told them how we really missed them and that maybe that should be a solution for them to join us at dinner again. It is their vacation and let them enjoy it how they like. They did say they enjoyed the buffet restaurant for dinner. Which I asked them about because I wanted to try that the next night. Another place I hadn't tried for fear of missing the main dining rooms but 14 nights gives one more options.

I ran to start some laundry. This was really the best time to do it as everyone is either at dinner or the show. I'd tried earlier that day but not one free washer on the ship at about 1:00. Once I got the clothes to the dryer I sat out on a practically empty deck four to take my notes. Aunt Connie was icing her ankle in the room waiting for me to pick her up for the pirate deck party. When we got there it seemed like it was running late and they were still doing the Davy Jones video game on the funnel vision. I know Connie really wanted to see the pirate party. That is her favorite ride in WDW and DL but I was getting quite the head ache. And the video game was not making it any better. I was also going to be doing a cognac tasting at 10:30 so I wanted to get the head ache under control by then. So I did feel terrible when I told her I couldn't stay up there anymore. I knew she wouldn't wait for it by herself. But I just couldn't. The head ache was getting to the point of making me sick to my stomach. Her face fell. I told her if I take my shower I should feel better and we should make it for the fireworks. She didn't think we had time so she said she would just go to bed. She was in bed when I got out of my shower. It is a shame for just as I got up to ten the firework countdown started. Pirate Mickey swung across the deck and the fireworks went off.

my phonr 353.JPG
My heart really did go out to her. I could care less for the pirate fireworks and I actually wound up with a front row seat because of the way I came up heading to the Outlook bar for the cognac tasting.

The instructor said this was a better way of warming the cognac as it left no water in the glass. Tilt the glass over another glass full of hot water! Most bartenders warm the glass with hot water swished in the glass used for the cognac, but then a little is left in the glass. Cognac differs from bourbon or whiskey in that you never want it watered down.

my phonr 356 (1).JPG
Only five were in the tasting so it was an intimate group. Three men and one other lady. One was a guy from the whiskey tasting the night before. He was from Ireland so had a lot to say about Irish whiskies. Another was from Washington state and somehow the marijuana law came up and of course me being from Colorado we had a lot to talk about. The guy from Ireland knew the area I am from in Colorado as he had been skiing there many times. It was nice having such a small group. We all talked until 11:45. I was the first to leave as I was tired and wanted to get back to the room where this had been hanging earlier.

Panama Canal May 2015 645.JPG

And as with the whiskey it was straight to sleep!!!

Last edited:
Just wanted to say, loving the trip report. Sounds like your aunt can be a curmudgeon sometimes if things aren't to her liking, but I'll give her a pass!

Just wanted to say, loving the trip report. Sounds like your aunt can be a curmudgeon sometimes if things aren't to her liking, but I'll give her a pass!

She isn't a curmudgeon, just used to things going a certain way-Hers!!! But any problems came about because I am the same way :snooty:

Hoping I can get this TR done by the end of the month for everyone's reading pleasure :flower:

She isn't a curmudgeon, just used to things going a certain way-Hers!!! But any problems came about because I am the same way :snooty:

Hoping I can get this TR done by the end of the month for everyone's reading pleasure :flower:
I have a grandmother the same way. Been living alone far too long and seems to have forgotten how to share!

Day Eleven: At Sea

I awoke about 7:30. Finally sleeping in! I really had had my best sleep so far during this trip. Aunt Connie had woke earlier and had already been for her walk. So right away we headed to breakfast at Beach Blanket.

my phonr 357.JPG

After breakfast we split up for a short bit while I went to get my Navigator. Today was the day we (I) planned to use the Rainforest room passes I had bought before sailing. We had used the Rainforest room on our previous FANTASY cruise but never on the classic ships. I knew it would be different.

Panama Canal May 2015 707.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 709.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 710.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 713.JPG

The new ships have the loungers looking out over the ocean, a hot tub, and more interesting showers. But I really liked the coziness of the classic room. I will say, though, that I much preferred the locker room on the FANTASY because of the showers. Though the classic locker room showers were bigger than the stateroom shower, they were only two. Plus they were through another room and not right next to the counters and mirrors, didn't have a true place for your clothes, and no curtain once you got out.

Aunt Connie and I stayed in here for about two hours. Most of the time we had it to ourselves. There was a couple that left shortly after we arrived and then a couple of ladies that arrived before we left. Aunt Connie was in one of the saunas when those ladies said something about the stop in Guatemala. I assumed they were talking about another cruise. I left a bit before Aunt Connie. My plan was to come back a couple other times during the day but she wasn't. She was afraid it would be getting too crowded later in the day so wanted to enjoy the quiet then be done for the day. When I stepped out of the spa I saw land-Guatemala! We were making a medical emergency stop.

Panama Canal May 2015 652.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 674.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 670.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 678.JPG

Though of course I felt terrible for the family affected by this, I found the stop to be rather interesting. I had a friend from Guatemala that I see about once a year anymore. Now I can say I have been there. Not on land but in their waters!!!

The drink of the day caught my eye so I got one. It was close to 11:00 after all!! This was the best drink I have ever had. Similar to the konk cooler on Castaway so if you don't like that you could skip this. I actually try to avoid drinks like this because of the calories but it was vacation after all.

Panama Canal May 2015 657.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 658.JPG

I then went down to deck four to get a better view of the evacuation. It was taking place forward (that is where the Medical Center is) and that was were everyone was gathered to look. I did manage a spot before someone else pushed me out. Then I thought it was terrible to be watching this anyway so went aft. I did look back one more time and could actually view it better as you had a better angle.

Panama Canal May 2015 659.JPG

It was the whole family and all their bags. Mostly backpacks. I saw a man and three kids. Others said they saw the same and one lady said she had seen a very pregnant lady on the cruise and wondered if it was her going into labor or having complications. I thought the policy was not to be allowed on if you had entered your second trimester but I don't know. I had never seen a "very" pregnant lady but others confirmed they had. I still do not know more about this but I hope all went well.

It was neat to be sitting in the clear waters and see the stabilizing "wings"

Panama Canal May 2015 668.JPG

Aunt Connie and I wanted to attend the cheese appreciation class at 11:30 and she was waiting when I got back into the atrium. This was held in Studio Sea. And it was packed. They had tables set up with some of the cheese out already. But most looked like this still.

Panama Canal May 2015 671.JPG

Every table with the place settings already had occupants though some had empty seats. So Connie and I split up. But then soon they start adding other tables to the "class". That was okay as we both got to branch out and meet other people. The ladies I sat with were stepmom and daughter. They had done the same excursion in Columbia as us and agreed it wasn't worth it overall. Not that we regretted it just that it was too much travel time involved on not so pleasant boats. They had also done the same tour in Cozumel as the single gentleman we'd had breakfast with earlier in the cruise, the "booze" cruise as everyone who went now called it. That they agreed was totally worth it. (Just an aside here for any one reading who plans the WBPC for 2016 is that it will be in Cozumel on a Tuesday vs Sunday so the port will be busier and a true "booze" cruise less likely as that had mainly happened because only one ship had been in port then) Then they also said they thought we would be on the same excursion for Cabo but I never saw them. But I'll explain that when we get to Cabo.

Back to the cheese class itself. Because so many people showed up they got behind on getting the cheeses to everyone before they were talked about. So that part was disappointing. I think my table had to wait for two pieces until after they were discussed but some tables no cheese for most of the class. I learned a little but took no notes so I don't know what it was :-( I did stay until we all got our cheese.

At this point I wanted to sit out on deck four. Aunt Connie said it would be too hard to find two chairs together at this time of day so she would stay in the room and I could call her if I did find two. Well I didn't find two but I did call her as I know she really enjoyed sitting out there and I would let her use the chair I was in. But she said she had found a movie on the TV she had always wanted to watch and it probably would be best if she stayed out of the heat. It was actually very hot today as the ship was still anchored. We didn't get paperwork cleared from the authorities until late in the afternoon. The captain said it was because it was a holiday in Guatemala and a Sunday.

I stayed out on deck four until a little after 2:00 and then felt I should maybe get another of those yummy drink of the day. I went up to deck ten and since I passed the pizza station felt as long as I am being so bad today why not. The City Boys were out singing so I thought Aunt Connie would like to hear them so I called the room. She was still watching her movie so not interested. It would be over in ten to fifteen minutes though and maybe then we should play cards. I never did get the drink then but listened to the Beach Boy songs and then went to the room to grab her and the cards. We headed to Diversions to play as we wanted to be there for Obscurity trivia. Since we only had about half an hour before trivia I suggested we play Monopoly cards (I love this game). She was agreeable. She had played it once before but did not really remember how. So I explained it. I know she tried to enjoy it but it was hard since she really didn't know how to play. We only got one game in before trivia. We both did terrible on trivia today.

I headed to the Rainforest room and stayed there until dinner. It wasn't crowded at all but there was always one or two others there for the hour and half I was in there. I showered in the locker room and finally got my other drink of the day. I was a bit early still for dinner so I just sat on level five in the atrium and people watched. Then I met Aunt Connie at dinner.

Dinner was in Animator's Palate with the color changing show. I did not take any decent pictures of this as our table was in the center of the room so I did not have good views of the walls. The paintbrushes that change color all turned out blurry. I am not a photographer :(

So it was the regular AP menu

my phonr 362.JPG

I got the Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

my phonr 359.JPG

Arugula and Curly Endive Salad - with sliced chorizo, dried figs, herbed croutons, and a cider dressing

my phonr 360.JPG

Herb-Crusted Veal Chop - brushed with Dijon mustard and crusted with herbed bread crumbs served with sun-dried tomato risotto and a Barolo wine sauce

my phonr 361.JPG

I think this was a Lemon Mousse

my phonr 363.JPG

We went out for our after dinner walk. I always loved walking through here. The classic Disney ships are the only ships I've ever been on where you can walk through this area. Of course while we are docked/docking it is closed off.

Panama Canal May 2015 689.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 690.JPG

The sunset was happening right smack in front of the ship but then you could not get a good view of it on deck four so I wanted to go up to ten. I had to grab my camera as I had left it in the room. By the time we got to the front he sun had set. Though a fantastic photo was out, it was really peaceful up there (after all the lucky people who had got the fantastic shot left) There was a flock of birds just flying in front of the ship and we were just gliding through the water.

Panama Canal May 2015 704.JPG

I spent five minutes just enjoying it. Then I decided to head back to the Rainforest room again. We both walked back to the room via deck four which was now empty.

Panama Canal May 2015 694.JPG

Here was the towel creation.

Panama Canal May 2015 695.JPG

Aunt Connie went for a real walk after asking when I would be getting to the room. I told her I wasn't sure but about 9 or 9:30. I had the Rainforest room all to myself and had literally fallen asleep on the lounger when another guy did finally come in a bit before 9. I decided to leave so I could go get some real sleep.

When I got to the room Aunt Connie was watching "The Parent Trap" Lindsay Lohan version. I never liked that one but love the original. Anyway I said right away "You're watching TV! I was hoping to hop right in bed" Now I know that was rude and right away I started to apologize and said "but I do still have to get my things put away so you could finish watching it." But she said "fine" and turned it off. I said I was just tired, I was surprised to see her watching so much TV in one day (she is not a TV person), and as she knew I have no tact. She said just go to bed and turned off her light. So I figured for tonight lets just go to bed and discuss it when I wasn't so tired. Surprisingly I slept pretty good.

Day Twelve: At Sea

I slept until 7:30 again and Aunt Connie was already out of the room. I felt terrible over last night but glad I din't have to deal with it yet. I had to get yet another load of laundry going. I spent some time organizing and then went to put the clothes in the dryer. She was in the room when I got back. I immediately apologized again. She started to cry. She said I made her feel like a child as I was always telling her "her place", I of course apologized for this too. I said I didn't realize that and I would try to think before I spoke. She didn't let it drop and said I was always telling her how to do things. I acknowledged that I probably do. I live with my parents who are getting older and I am use to taking care of them to an extent. I am not saying this is right but you start to treat them like you do children, looking out for them and "explaining" how or why to do things. So that is what I am used to in dealing with people. She never had children and is used to doing things her way always. I too am used to doing things my way as I was the youngest of four with my closest sibling being 7 years older than me so I never had to really share. Then we both cried. She said she should have thought this cruise through more. I secretly agreed (she the selfish me right there) but told her it was just more than we had thought about. I know she was REALLY missing being able to talk to her sister (my mom) four times a day while at home. She also talks to their other sister almost daily, she was away from her husband, she had been in Mexico for two weeks before this cruise and was missing her other activities. I am the complete opposite of her. If I don't see anyone for a couple of days life is fine. If I want to do something I do it and don't need moral support. She kept saying the same things over and then she said she needs to learn to stop talking and saying the same things over again.

Not that the discussion made us feel better but I did say maybe we should eat. I suggested Parrot Cay hoping to be seated with others but we weren't.

my phonr 366.JPG

It was a quiet breakfast. I did have to get my laundry so I left right after eating. She said she would be going out to four as you could only get a seat in the mornings. I caught up on notes and some studying I had.

Today was the beginning of the FROZEN chocolate scavenger hunt. This was a trial run for the FROZEN activities they would be doing on the Alaska sailings. I had asked Connie at breakfast if she would want to do this with me but she said that is your thing "I would just slow you down" I told her it might draw us together, jokingly (humor is my coping mechanism) She didn't quiet glare at me but close! Anyway it was just going to three places on the ship and finding the clue which was a photo of an object from the movie. Everyone was doing it, and though one clue was worded kind of wrong, pretty easy once you knew what you where looking for. So it only occupied about twenty minutes of my time. I stopped at Cove Cafe to get a mocha almond latte, this one with liquor in it. OK. I cope with humor and liquor!!

I went back to the room to get my camera and heard people in the hall talking about the turtles and fish they were seeing. Sure enough I go out to the veranda and what do you think I see!!!

Panama Canal May 2015 720.JPG

OK. In the pictures you really can't see them but they were quite easy to spot in real life. The water was like glass most of the day and you could see these guys most of the day. Also dolphins. I never saw the dolphins but at least Aunt Connie did. And lots of other people. The turtles and dolphins were with us the next day too. I did finally see ONE dolphin that apparently was seperated from his pod which was on the other side of the ship. I saw him and walked to the other side and heard everyone day how they just saw a large pod of dolphins. I stayed out there for half an hour and saw NOTHING!!! This is just my wildlife luck. I did finally see the moose that lives in our area after five years of being on the lookout!

I had seen Connie on deck four but she was talking to her cheese class tablemates and did not acknowledge me. So I went back to the other side to sit. She came around and found me and said she had to stop in the room but would meet me up on top for the funnel vision. It was supposed to be a virtual tour of the ship but for some reason it never showed. After waiting in the sun for fifteen minutes I said why don't we go and play cards. She said only if I wanted to. I said since I suggested it I guess I want to. She said only if I really wanted to. I said I really do. We start to head down and she said if you want to go do something else we don't have to play. I asked her if she wanted to do anything else. She said no. So I said well lets play cards then. Only if you want to she said. I stopped her and said "You know how earlier you said sometimes you keep talking when you should stop. This is one of those times." She almost started to cry again. I told her I was just telling her that to make her aware of what she was doing. Then I told her I really want to play cards, yes it is to make her happy BECAUSE I WANT her to be happy and that would make ME happy. I asked her which card game and she said GOLF so I wouldn't have to keep telling her what to do!

She went to get the cards and I got ice cream for my Bailey's so I could cope!!! In my defense she got herself a glass of wine to relax!!! Unfortunatley there were no free public areas for card play. Diversions had another trivia, Cadillac Lounge a mixology, Wavebands a dance class, and the Promenade Lounge a kids activity. So we played in the room, allowing for two glasses of wine :teacher:

After cards I went up and grabbed a pretzel and started to watch "Bolt" on Funnel Vision.
my phonr 367.JPG

but left to go join Aunt Connie for Obscurity trivia. I was actually getting over this by now, but she loved it so I wanted to humor her. If we did bad yesterday today we really stank!!! But so did everyone else. This was the highest scoring game all cruise.

Then we just walked on over to the Cadillac Lounge to wait for the tequila tasting. This was different than the Patron tasting earlier. This one included margaritas. This was the forth time I did this tasting on a Disney cruise and though I enjoyed it was not as fun as all the others. The mood today did not help, but too the class was more structured than before. The first one I did with Aunt Connie on the Fantasy along with the rest of my family. My brother and other aunt were there and they get a little rowdy. The instuctor then asked tequila related questions and if you knew the answer he gave you an extra shot. I think my family was the table with the most extra shots. Plus at least sis people did not show for that and we got to split their drinks. The second time was with a friend and the instuctor also gave extra shots for questions answered. Plus the guy next to me did not care for most of his tequilas and gave them to us. The last one was with my family again and a friend who drank all the shots before the tasting began so the instuctor poured him more so he could "learn" properly. No extra shots for the rest of us then but the instructor was a ham and we loved him. Today it was just so so. But tequila always makes me happy.

my phonr 370.JPG

Tonight we ate at Beach Blanket. I think Aunt Connie only really agreed because of the Maryland couple. We got there before it opened but that was nice because we then were guaranteed to get a table by the window. For the most part it is a scaled down menu of what they serve in the main dining rooms that night. But they also have a really nice salad bar that you could totally load up on. We ordered off the menu.

my phonr 372.JPG

my phonr 374.JPG

I got the salad (off the menu)

my phonr 375.JPG

And some sort of ravioli it looks like :scratchin

my phonr 376.JPG

Desserts did not seem to be anything offered on the main menu. That said, I loved this cake which was very close to my from scratch cake that I make.

my phonr 377.JPG

And we could watch the ships sail by

my phonr 378.JPG

Dinner took about half and hour less. We had to go down for our walk tonight! After about half a mile of walking we saw the sunset which was looking gorgeous again, but I had left my camera in the room again so had to go get it and once again missed the best shot.

my phonr 380.JPG

I just realized I forgot to post these photos in the last post. They show our location along where we saw all the turtles and dolphins.

Panama Canal May 2015 726.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 727.JPG
We wound up sitting on one of the loungers as we waited for the show to begin. It was a Beatles tribute band. I never get excited over the Beatles or any of their songs though I always enjoy one when I hear it. Since one of the things Connie had specifically mentioned this morning in our talk was the fact she really did want to see the shows and she does love the Beatles I had braced myself to sit through this. It wasn't too bad. My problem with shows like this are the flashing lights. Bright lights give me a head ache and I am finding I can no longer drive at night. I am too young for these problems!! That being said I actually enjoyed the show, to an extent. Since I am somewhat tone deaf I din't notice the flaws lots of others picked up on. They did bring out the Beach Boy bands "Mike Love" to sing at the end and that was fun.

It ran a bit long and so tonight we go to bed around 10:30. We switched beds that night as she had said that she might actually prefer the sofa bed since it was next to the windows. Here is the little guy waiting on my bed.

Panama Canal May 2015 731.JPG

Day Thirteen: At Sea

I awoke at 7:10 and Aunt Connie was already out walking. I watched the sunrise from the veranda. I must admit I did like having the veranda for this reason. Sunrises and Sunsets right from my own room (provided the ship faced the right way) in my PJ's!

Panama Canal May 2015 737.JPG

I did get dressed shortly and go to get one of the the specialty drinks. I just brought it back to the room so I could really sit out and enjoy the veranda while I caught up on my notes and email.

my phonr 392.JPG

my phonr 394.JPG

I must admit it felt like I spent half the cruise doing these things. I'm glad I took the notes though because I can remember things better. Then I know that everyone back home loved being able to hear about the trip too.

Aunt Connie was back right around 8:00. I wanted to get a picture with Chip & Dale in their swimsuits so I asked her if we could wait for them before breakfast. They would be by Mickey's pool at 8:30. We got there early enough,before anyone else, but I started to check out other things so I aactuallywound up about fifth in line. I was behind one of the sweetest little girls from Mexico. Her name was Azul. Of course now I can't remember exactly what she did that make me take note of her. I know she was more polite than most kids and it was in relation to that. Guess it didn't make it into my notes. Maybe it was so impressive I thought I would remember :scratchin

my phonr 398.JPG

my phonr 402.JPG

This is absolutely the best picture I took. So glad I did this even though I was starting to get over the photo taking.

By then we were both pretty hungry so we headed to the buffet. As we were later it was quieter. And I FINALLY got my MIckey waffles!!

my phonr 404.JPG

my phonr 406.JPG

We went back to the room together but after brushing teeth and such we split up. She went to get a seat on four and I did the next three clues in the chocolate hunt. One was a bit more difficult today, I think it was today, in that it was on the ceiling. It only took me about half an hour and then I went to change for the hot tub. My foot was much better and I really don't think I still needed to be soaking it but better safe than sorry LAUGH Mostly i just laid in the sun and most of the time was up by the sport court. We were sailing rather close to land but my cheap camera does not have the settings and zoom to pick up much.

Panama Canal May 2015 744.JPG

This next picture is really terrible but it gives you the general idea of where we were. Look for the circle and that is the ships position.

Panama Canal May 2015 749.JPG

I thought I should take a picture of this and i sort of really like it.

Panama Canal May 2015 755.JPG

I saw someone walk by at around 12:30 with what looked like an egg-roll so I thought I should check out the buffet. It wasn't an egg-roll as I found out it was a chimichanga. I should have walked out at that point but I thought I should still try it.....along with a plate full of other stuff :laughing:

my phonr 412.JPG

After that I went to take a shower. Aunt Connie had just finished some of her packing and was heading back out for something? After I showered I went to get some ice cream for my Bailey's. Today's special flavor was pineapple coconut. I hesitated because I wasn't sure if that would be so good with chocolate Bailey's but the thought why not. It was beyond yummy!!!! I decided to enjoy it on our veranda until it was time to head to Diversions for Obscurity trivia. I was meeting Connie there and it became rather hard to save her seat. She got there right at 3:00. We did OK today, neither one getting above 150, but then today happened to be the day that the winning team had a score of below 80-remember lowest wins.

I then headed up to the pool deck to get some water. Aunt Connie needed to take some more spins around deck four. I wound up getting fries and watching some of "The Emperors New Groove" I really ate a lot today it looks like. In my defense I did not gain any weight on this trip but Aunt Connie did. Go figure!!!

Before heading to the room to get dressed for dinner I sat on fifth deck in the atrium to watch them set up the photo backdrops. Rather fun. Lot of work involved and they do this every night almost.

Dinner tonight was in Triton's. Captains Gala menu.

my phonr 425.JPG

Wild Forest Mushroom Soup - swirled with White Truffle Oil.

my phonr 419.JPG

Can't remember this item and I don't see anything resembling it on the menu I am looking at online :scratchin

my phonr 421.JPG

The restaurant was not at all full and it was a good time for a photo of the mosaic tile work.

my phonr 422.JPG

Main course: Fettuccine with Parmesan-Crusted Chicken - Chicken encrusted in Parmesan Cheese with Sweet Peppers and Mushrooms in a Cheddar Cheese Sauce. I had the lobster earlier in the cruise and really that was enough for me. I love pasta and had a craving for it tonight. Absolutely wonderful!!

my phonr 424.JPG

The guys at our table had a hard time deciding on dessert as they all looked good. I reminded them that the chocolate buffet was tonight at 11:00 so they might should try to stick to one dessert. Now I was sounding like Aunt Connie, who was groaning that anyone should even consider desserts at 11:00 p.m. :confused: I decided on the Banana Creme Brulee and it too was wonderful.

my phonr 426.JPG

After dinner was an officers ball dance in the atium. We watched the dance from on five. It was neat. Aunt Connie had to run to the restroom and the only one we could think of was down by the BV theater. After I waited a bit for her I decided to head down that way. Ariel was on her way down the hall (I don't see her listed as meeting at that time or near but it was her!) and I was sort of tossed into speaking to her. The only characters I am totally comfortable with are Chip & Dale (if you haven't noticed) and I really rather dislike face characters. Anyhow I said how nice her dress was and then she said my dress looked lovely :rotfl2:

I met Aunt Connie and went to get my camera if the sunset wound up looking nice but it didn't. We walked on deck four until it was time for the show. Tonight was the crew talent show. I was looking forward to this one. They only get to do it on the long cruises. There were some really talented people. Several sung. One girl from housekeeping was really nervous but he crowd encouraged her and she was quite good. At least two magic acts, our head waiter was one of those and he did awesome. The other guy did a trick with cards and an audience member. It was the wrong card and everyone disliked it but I think he actually meant it to be that way because he tried to weave comedy in but not very well. The BEST act was the Deck Crew Band. They were INCREDIBLE! You would never guess they weren't a real touring band. They sung Sweet Child of Mine and got a standing ovation. Weaved throughout the show was "Dancing with The Officers", like Dancing With The Stars. Four lucky passengers were paired with four ship officers and they had learned a dance on board and this was performance night! One was Waltz (ok), Swing (pretty good) Disco (great-because you can have fun with it) and a Tango (disappointing).

After the show we had another semi argument. Back in the room we had been given our tip envelopes already. I guess they were ready to kick us off!! Aunt Connie was wondering why we only got one per each person we would be tipping and not one envelope for each of us to be handing them. She wanted to be sure they knew we each tipped them. I said I think they know, our names are on the slips of paper for the prepaid gratuities. But she said she also wanted them to know the cash was from each of us. I said if it is important that they know you tipped you can hand them the envelope but we don't NEED two. By the way she is a bit of a tight wad and will never tip more than 15% at restaurants if left to decide for herself. And she always has to pull out the calculator for that!!! So then she asks what I was putting in. Though we had both already pre-paid our gratuities we knew we would most likely have service above normal and would be tipping more. She said she would match whatever I put in. So for our stateroom host I said I was putting in $10 (we had already handed him about $40 on different days-I gave him $20 the day before to change the sheets on an unscheduled day) So she said she would put in the other $5 CONFUSED How is that MATCHING? So I put the emphasis on "I" was putting in $10. She said "And I'll do the other five" I said that was OK if she only wanted to put in $5 but I was doing $10. Then she got it and of course thought that might be too much we were giving him. I said he has brought us ice everyday after only being asked once, he got our extra toiletries (I am the cheap one here as those became my "gifts" once home), always left our room nicely done, did every extra thing we asked of him, and always called us by name and stopped to chat with us in the hall (and how terrible am I that I never got a picture of him not do I even remember his name unless I pulled out all my paperwork). Then she conceded and there was no more arguments as we discussed the rest of the tips. Except for the fact that I wanted to use my crisp new bills that I had saved for this purpose and she wondered what I was doing with her money. Exchanging it for the new bills I said. Then was she still putting in anything or was it just me doing the tipping she wondered. I explained that if she put in a $20 bill then I took it and "replaced" it with new $20 and yes it was still her giving $20.

I don't know anyone reading understands that but she had a real hard time with it and I had a headache after explaining it to her.

This guy understood.

Panama Canal May 2015 757.JPG

Panama Canal May 2015 758.JPG

Tonight was the chocolate buffet that started at 11:00. Aunt Connie was not going as this was beyond her comprehension that people would go to eat chocolate of all things at the way late hour of 11:00p.m.! I headed down at 10:40 to get a decent position in line but it already stretched out past the elevator lobbies. By the time it opened I think the line was back to the Walt Disney Theater. I say I came mainly to take pictures of the spread but a fair amount wound up on my plate. This definitely was the day I ate the most.

Panama Canal May 2015 772.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 773.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 774.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 776.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 782.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 785.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 787.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 792.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 791.JPG Panama Canal May 2015 793.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter