I feel stressed...

The Packards

Earning My Ears
We leave next Friday and for some reason I feel so stressed out! It is myself, DH, DD (12) and DS (11) going for 7 days. We have 2 Character Breakfasts planned and other than those, we'll be doing all counter service for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We managed to save $1,700 for spending money. $115 of that goes to Transportaion/Gratuity from and to the airport in Orlando. $50 of that will also be for dinner the night we arrive. So that leaves us with $1,535 for the 7 days we are there. That's about $219 a day for counter service meals, snacks and maybe a few cheap souveniers here or there.

Does this sound do-able? Any tips on how to keep within budget each day? I'll be using my room card for all of our purchasing while we are there. I managed our money fine when it was my husband and I on our honeymoon, but now I'm majorly stressed for some reason.

Stacy

Well I don't know what you all like to eat - that sounds doable to me. We are 3 and I usually do $200 per day and I always have lots left over to go to the World of Disney store on our last day before we go to airport. Of course we aren't big breakfast people so we usually just get something small.

I wouldn't stress I bet you can do it.

Have a fantasmic time on your trip

Laura

A:crazy: scrapaholic

We all eat really light breakfasts.

Lunch or Dinner I could see us all having a drink and a cheeseburger each and the kids splitting fries and me and DH splitting fries.

We'd probably splurge for an ice cream or snack mid afternoon and possibly a dessert on a few nights we are there.

I think you will do just fine. Have fun!

A counter service meal for 4 will be around $30 (L or D), so you should have plenty left for other stuff. Drink water at restaurants instead of sodas to cut back on what's spent there too.

my daughter (11) & I split our counter service meals at places like cosmic rays (rotissiere chicken meal, you get 1/2 a chicken!) or the place as you walk from peater pan twards the haunted mansion, dang if I dont remember the name of the restaurant, anyways we split fish & chips there so keep in mind that that would cut back on spending as well. Adult portions are WAY too big in my opinion! (& no, I'm not a skinny little person that eats like a bird either ;) )
even at $10 per person per counter service meal, figuring breakfast lunch & dinner you would only spend $120 in counter service meals & that would allow you almost $100 per day to play around with for snacks or extras food or souvineer wise.

Stacy, don't be stressed, it's supposed to be a vacation. Destress and keep repeating it to yourself. I am going the week after you and feel more stressed about trying to get things done with my vehicle and home before I go than about vacation. Stop worrying. You have enough money for food, snacks and sourvenirs.

If you feel that you have to budget this is what I would do. Stop on way to resort and pickup snacks/water and soft drinks to keep in room (believe it or not this does keep the snack budget down - especially if you bring a water and bag of chips in the parks with you) and maybe some cereal/cer. bars, muffins, milk/juice for breakfast (these items shouldn't cost over $35 if bought offsite).

Most people eat at counter service rest but if you want a good sit down meal, set a ps for lunch everyday or every other day. That way you are limiting your counter service meals to once a day or twice every other day which leaves a little variety inbetween. Next, you and daughter may want to consider splitting some of the counter meals. Last year I ate at Columbia Harbor House (MK) and Electric Umbrella (Epcot) a couple of times. All of those times, I could've easily split my meal (I went solo last year so no one to split them with) and I know that I can eat some food. This year mom and I are going and I intend to split a meal or two with her (at Col. HH there is a fish/chicken strip combo type meal, mom gets the two fish stips, I get the two chicken strips and we split the fries which there are a ton of, order a second drink but save 2nd meal cost and there is no waste/food left over to throw away). I also eat snacks or cereal when back in the room at night.

I always have ziplock bags in backpack for the parks. I find the zip locks wonderful as I keep things dry from the water rides (all film, movie camers, etc get put in them) but not to mention that whatever food is left over for meals gets put in them as well and you can choose to snack on them or leave them to be snacked on at night.

I say by morning of day 4, take a look at the $$ you have left and plan accordingly (maybe set another ps or two, or begin to really splurge here and there). At that point leave souvenir money on the side. A great thing for souvenirs is to look around all week, make a list of those things that you may want to purchase, the $$ of the item and where the item can be found. On your last day or two, have the kids and yourself review the list and make a decision on what they really want then go purchase it. That way there are no true impulse purchases and everyone gets something that they want

I have a food budget for 2 people for 9 days of about $900. 7 days on property. I have a sitdown meal planned for 6 of the 7 days (2 dinners at Le Cellier, generally $80 each dinner) and 4 dinner buffets. I have purchased a few Q&C vouchers and I have a disney rewards card with enough $$ to cover the rest of counter lunches. I will probably spend about $125-200 on souvenirs (depends on how many pins I want to purchase). I know that I'll buy at least one bag of popcorn everyother day and one icecream everyday as well. We eat breakfast in our rooms while getting ready and we bring fannypacks and a backpack (usually store backpack in locker, has rain gear, water and snacks) and we walk back to get the occasional snack out it maybe twice a day). I find this works out well for me and does keep cost down and I never feel hungry at all.

Don't worry, you've got enough money and no one will starve. Have a great vacation with your kids.

You should be fine with that. Don't worry. I have gone with a little less when I went with my two older daughters and came home with some extra. We got some souveniers but didnt go totally nuts. We ate very light breakfasts, and didn't necessarily eat three meals always either. If you are not a big eater also as another poster mentioned, splitting meals isn't a bad thing. Last year we ate at Columbia Harbour House for lunch. I got a tuna sandwich, chips and a drink, that sandwich was so big I couldn't finish it. Most of the counter service restaurants give you plenty of food. Have a great time on your trip!!! Oh and by the way, I am also from central mass.

you should be fine, just take out what you know you will spend and divide what is left between all the days and I think you will be surprised how much you will have!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter