I feel sad for people who don't know about codes

Aisling

<font color=darkorchid>Where your mind goes, your
I just called CRO and applied code KHP to my AKL Savannah room.

I was originally paying a total of $1420 for two nights ($710/n) and now with the code I'm paying $480 total ($240/n).

That's a savings of $940!

I feel sad for the people who don't know about codes and are booking rack rates, which are outrageous. They could be saving so much money.:sad1:

okay smartie pants, :worship:tell me about codes, I have been on Dis boards and have seen posts about them but I have never received an email from Disney, how do I get a code?

I was originally paying a total of $1420 for two nights ($710/n) and now with the code I'm paying $480 total ($240/n).

I feel sad for the people who don't know about codes and are booking rack rates, which are outrageous. They could be saving so much money.:sad1:

Well could you help us newbies out here...tell us where you got/found:surfweb: that code....I may dance at your next wedding:bride: if you let go a lil about all the info you know on how to get discounts:confused3...

Thanks in advanvce....

In some cases (e.g., PP), I can feel sorry for them too.

But IMHO, for some folks it may make sense to clip out that $1 coupon for the grocery, but others find their time more valuable, or simply have enough to spare to not care about the $1.

In other words, some people just are not in the same circumstances as I, financially or in terms of free time. Some of them may enjoy the convenience of simply booking once, the dates that they desire, and not having to concern themselves with codes and bargains. So I don't worry about them at all or feel sad in the least.

Um ... I'm currently in the "on the hunt for bargains" category. :lmao:

okay smartie pants, :worship:tell me about codes, I have been on Dis boards and have seen posts about them but I have never received an email from Disney, how do I get a code?

I'm not sure if the original poster is talking about the same codes, but I know that a 'room only' discount just came out a day ago. You can find all of the updates for discounts, free dining etc. on the main disboards page..www.disboards.com At the top of the page you will see a small scroll down box called Dis Site Updates, which lists all of the promotions etc.

Or you can always go directly to www.wdwinfo.com to see the deals and find out the codes available!

Hey, I was "one of those people" who knew nothing about codes and discounts and foolishly paid rack rate ONCE...then I discovered this wonderful place called the DISboards, and it changed my life!! (Well, my Disney life, that is!):goodvibes

OP, not to pry, but are you sure you didn't lose your tickets or something when you applied the KHP (room only) code. The rate sounds great, but what room were you in to be paying over $700 at night at AKL? Don't get me wrong, your savings is tremendous, but I didn't think AKL Savannah rack rate was that high.

Have a blast spending your extra cash...that's a lot of Mickey Bars!:earseek:

I have found that there are always deals available, I just never hear of them myself until its too late.

I think the room only code would not drop a 2 night reservation by $900 though - I hope you are not missing something...

OP, not to pry, but are you sure you didn't lose your tickets or something when you applied the KHP (room only) code. The rate sounds great, but what room were you in to be paying over $700 at night at AKL? Don't get me wrong, your savings is tremendous, but I didn't think AKL Savannah rack rate was that high.

I'm sure I didn't lose anything. It was a room-only code, and not a package, because I already have tickets.

Try plugging in my date on the WDW website, Nov. 29-Dec. 1, 2 nights, 2 adults, bunkbed savannah room (they only had bunkbed rooms available). The total comes to $1420. Per night $710

This is my new confirmation email, after calling and applying the code . The price in my original post didn't include tax,so it's a little higher in my confirmation:

Arrive:11/29/2009

Depart:12/01/2009

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
TOTAL PRICE:$549.00

Hotel
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Savanna View Bunk Bed (QJ)

Rate per Room/per Night (plus tax)$244.00

2 Nights

_______
$880
savings

I redid the math to include taxes, and I'm indeed saving a lot, $880! Just from applying the code.

I wasn't talking about the PIN codes, but the general codes that anyone can use. If it weren't for some of these Disney boards, I'd be paying $880 more. Those are the people I feel sad for, the ones who just book online or over the phone where these codes aren't mentioned. They just don't know.

I think the room only code would not drop a 2 night reservation by $900 though - I hope you are not missing something...

Crazy, but true!

mousesavers.com and also from reading these boards!

I am too very surprized about the $710/n. I could not checked the Disney site because it is down right now, but, according to Mousesaver, the full rack rate for your time and room type should have been $335/n. November 29 is in 'value' season....

I am quite sure you lost something.....

I don't feel sad for them. A trip to WDW is a major expense. If you think you can go and not do your homework before hand - which would indicate that discount codes exist - then you deserve to pay full price.

Routinely when I plan a vacation - especially an expensive one - I try to find info on the internet, get books, talk to people, etc. Always on the lookout for ways to save money and maximize my experience.

It's pretty basic, but - yes - there are still a big number of people that just pay what they are told without even doing any research!!!

No I don't feel "sad" for them. I just wonder how they manage in life if they don't know enough to ask and research before spending the big $$!!! Amazing.

Van

You sound very "holier than though". Some people are new to the boards or even searching for discounts. Most people would assume if you call a hotel (disney or not) and ask for the best rates, then they would be provided. Instead of having the attitute, why not teach the newbies to the correct way to search for the best rates. My in-laws would have no idea how to find the best rates--are they dumb? no, they just have never been shown...

Untill i stumbled across this board last year I really had no clue. I had always been told there was never a discount at disney!!! Now I know better!!!

Untill i stumbled across this board last year I really had no clue. I had always been told there was never a discount at disney!!! Now I know better!!!

I was just saying this same thing to DH over breakfast this morning! The first time we got a discount it was AAA on a couple of nights at WL in 2006 (21 years after my first visit:scared1:), then we got free dining the next year, after discovering the boards, and we've been going on discounts ever since. I wonder what kind of discounts were around for all our other trips and I just had no idea. I thought the rates were the rates:sad2:.

That's a Great Deal for a short stay. I went back and checked ours for Oct. and the Free Dining Offer worked out cheaper.

I am too very surprized about the $710/n. I could not checked the Disney site because it is down right now, but, according to Mousesaver, the full rack rate for your time and room type should have been $335/n. November 29 is in 'value' season....

I am quite sure you lost something.....

Total $686
Date Rate per Night
Sun, Nov 29 $ 305.00
Mon, Nov 30 $ 305.00
Plus tax

Marie, you were right! I mistakenly booked a package! That's why it was $700/n. I checked again this morning on the website and realized I wasn't clicking on Room Only!

Ok, new figures:
I went from a total of $686 to $480, for a savings of $206, using code KHP for Room Only, for two nights.

I would have never booked a $700/n room.

You know what happened, I was so excited about going, I didn't even care about the price. I wouldn't let myself think about it. Of course now I'm thrilled it was only $355/n and then $240/n with the code.

Ok, so I didn't save almost $900, but I'm still happy. What I'm even happier about is thar if it weren't for the code coming out, I would have unknowingly paid for a package that included tickets that I didn't need. Waste of a lot of money. With the code, it made me call back and get it straightened out. Now I'm good to go!

AND yesterday I found out my son's friend's family booked a 3 room package and didn't know about free dining or the codes, so I had my son send them an email right away. I would have felt bad for them if they paid full price when they didn't have to, especially with 3 rooms!

Let me just say that there are other ways than the disboards to find out about discount codes. I see them advertised by Disney on TV and on their website, they are mentioned and the mousesavers website listed in the UG, etc.

And, YES, I do try to assist EVERYONE I know that is thinking about going to WDW to research their options via those websites, books, etc.

I love the disboards as much as anyone; however, if you open your eyes, you will see WDW discounts advertised and available for viewing in many locations.

I was getting a AAA discount for many years at Ft. Wilderness long before I heard of the disboards.

I also research discounts for other vacations that I take ... my last trip to Vegas I got 5 nights free. No, I did not find out about it on the disboards...I researched how to get my rooms comped and then followed through.

Again, I don't feel "sad" for those that do not bother to pursue discounts at Disney.

Van

You sound very "holier than though". Some people are new to the boards or even searching for discounts. Most people would assume if you call a hotel (disney or not) and ask for the best rates, then they would be provided. Instead of having the attitute, why not teach the newbies to the correct way to search for the best rates. My in-laws would have no idea how to find the best rates--are they dumb? no, they just have never been shown...

I think this is a little harsh. I didn't take his comments out of context and he was stating what I was thinking. In the day and age of computers, it is easy to research; and for those that don't have the knowledge or expertise on searching then it is up to us (whether it be a friend, neighbor, relative or IN-LAW) to show them the way. And he never referred to anybody being "dumb". If you know of somebody going, I think it would be the wise thing to assist them and let them know that there are discounts available. I'm telling my friends this and I never think that I am "holier" than them for knowing that there are discounts available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter