I DON'T Walk. A kids rule May 2015 TR *Completed 2/13*

So sorry you had a rough start. You're brave taking a ten month old. We've only gone when our youngest at the time has been one and a half and thought that was tough. Hope to see some Disney smiles in your future.
- Lindsey

I'm excited (and a little apprehensive) to read your report! We're taking our 3 children, 6 and under, in November. We took our second son at 11 months and it wasn't terrible, but we had grandparents and an aunt with us on that trip. Our daughter will be 10 months old on this trip. Also, we're driving the 12 hours instead of flying, so that has its own set of challenges. Can't wait to read more!!

Subscribing! :wave2: Your start sounds a little rough, but I'm really excited to hear more about your trip!

Joining in! I'm so sorry the travel day was tough. Travel days are stressful to begin with and it's hard when the kids are tired/fussy/grumpy.

I'm glad you met some nice people on the flight. That almost makes up for the rude lady at the airport. What does she expect on a flight to Orlando?

Excited to read about your resort!

That was a rough start but I'll bet it got better as soon as you were officially in WDW! My kids are 8 and 10 now but when they were really small I flew alone with them several times and I can still feel the stress of those airport moments.

Hi! :wave: It was so great to meet you in WDW! Though I realized after that we didn't take a picture, so no one here will believe it happened. :rotfl:

I had a lot of fears going into this trip about what the kids could handle and every fear was realized. You know what though? We still had an amazing time.
I was prepared for a few setbacks that come along with traveling with kids but, I was completely caught off guard with just how difficult this trip was going to be.
I totally relate, though I just had the one kid to deal with - I don't know how you managed with three! :faint: I'm glad you were still able to have a great trip, despite the challenges and changes to your plans.

The baby was throwing up, James was throwing up, James had a nasty fall that landed us at the doctor and the possibility of him having a black eye for the trip:eek:.
What an awful series of events to have right before the trip! :eek: Glad things worked out okay.

This is coming from my supposedly non-Disney loving husband
:thumbsup2 :cool1:

This my friends is when I saw my perfectly planned vacation crumble before my eyes.
:sad: I know that feeling too.

We were traveling with 4 suitcases, 3 backpacks, 1 diaper bag, 1 purse, 2 strollers, and 2 car seats:faint:.
Wow, that is impressive! And I thought we had a lot of luggage (2 large suitcases, 3 rolling carryons, 2 backpacks, a purse/bag, a stroller, and a carseat. I'm impressed you managed with just that many since you had 5 people instead of 3. :worship:

After tipping the poor guy, we now had to figure out a way to get from the curb to the ticket counter with all our stuff. We each took one stroller/child, one big suitcase, and a car seat which were in bags and strapped to our backs. Everybody was responsible for their own personal carry-on items and then all we had left was the two smaller suitcases. Connor carried the little cars suitcase and I think Joe hooked the other small suitcase to the stroller. I know we looked ridiculous but, we eventually made it to ticketing and checked our bags.
I am also impressed you managed to move them all on your own! We lucked out and ended up with help when we most needed it.

Somehow, we got TSA pre-check and got to pass the massive security line and sail right through.
Same happened to us! :goodvibes

I don't remember how long he screamed but, it was a little bit and super embarrassing:blush:.
Gosh, I'm sorry. No fun. :sad2:

We walked back over to our gate and as we were waiting a snooty woman walks up and says, “ugh, I can’t believe all the children here”. Like really lady:rolleyes2?
Not only why would she say that about a flight to Disney, but why say it to a mom bringing three young kids. :confused3 If she can't believe all the children there, she's in for a rude awakening at MCO. :rotfl:

I had nice a conversation with the guy near me who was annoyed that he had to go to this conference and they put him at the Contemporary instead of somewhere fun like, the all stars or pop:confused:.
:lmao: I hope he didn't find his deluxe accommodations too depressing. :rotfl2:

I am usually a very shy, reserved person and don’t have conversations with strangers but, something about Disney really gets me talking.
I think a lot of us on the DIS are like that. Introverts that can really get going with a like-minded person to talk with. I know that I have a lot more random stranger conversations at Disney than anywhere else.

The day before our trip, somebody died on the monorail from the main terminal to the gates. The emergency stop was pulled and the guy flew out the window and landed on the ground below.
:eek: Yikes, I had not heard about that. I guess I'm glad I didn't know until now.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip! :goodvibes

Also, love that Grand Rapids makes it on your trip report - that's where I live :flower: We considered flying out of Chicago but decided the drive there and back wasn't worth any savings. My youngest is a terrible car traveler :/

Any tips for travelling with a toddler on a plane? We are taking the little one as a lap child. Here's hoping air travel goes better than car travel!!

:wave2: from the north we live in Big Rapids. We actually stopped in Grandville near the mall. We are so used to driving to Chicago because that's where we're from and our family is so, there the boys are used to it. We flew out of Grand Rapids last time and it was fine, I just don't like not having a direct flight. Tips for toddlers, bring lots to do. I go to the dollar store and get new toys they have never seen to play with. I also bring lots of snacks and some candy.

Oh yuck. I'm sorry that the TSA check kind of set off a chain reaction.
It was bad, that's the thing about James once you upset him your screwed for awhile:sad2:.

She was apparently 25 years old when she was born. :sad2:
:rotfl:

Seriously. I mean of all the flights you should expect to find kids on... :rolleyes:
Right? I mean does she not know Disney is there?

:headache: No! Just sleep!!!!
I know right, I mean he was clearly done for :headache: and then he just wakes up all refreshed right after :confused3

Um... what????? Has this dude ever been to Disney World before? Does he even know what he's talking about???
That's the thing, it was his second time. I would have gladly traded with him.

I heard about that. I didn't realize the timing of the accident though. That would be a little bit concerning to hop on that thing the next day.
I actually felt guilty about being excited to be there knowing something that awful happened a little more than 24 hours before.

:sad2: Oh well. At least you made it and he's napping now. Finally. Hopefully you can keep him asleep during the check in process and extend the nap time a bit.
Thankfully we did :worship:

I'm in and loving your report. My three and half year old DS is scared of strangers too so I can totally relate to your airport experience. Hopefully everyone wakes up in better moods for their first day at Disney.
:welcome: Thanks, those naps did wonders for everyone's mood

Oh my gosh what a beginning to your trip! Hopefully Disney helped wash some of that stress away. And what's up with the lady on a flight to ORLANDO complaining about kids? :sad2:

Can't wait to read more!!
:welcome: Things do get better, its Disney after all.

So sorry you had a rough start. You're brave taking a ten month old. We've only gone when our youngest at the time has been one and a half and thought that was tough. Hope to see some Disney smiles in your future.
- Lindsey
:rolleyes1 I didn't think the baby would be difficult based on his typical, at home behavior but, I was wrong.

I'm excited (and a little apprehensive) to read your report! We're taking our 3 children, 6 and under, in November. We took our second son at 11 months and it wasn't terrible, but we had grandparents and an aunt with us on that trip. Our daughter will be 10 months old on this trip. Also, we're driving the 12 hours instead of flying, so that has its own set of challenges. Can't wait to read more!!
:welcome: I hope that the at the very least you can learn somethings from our trip to make your easier.

Subscribing! :wave2: Your start sounds a little rough, but I'm really excited to hear more about your trip!
:welcome: Thanks for stopping by

joining in
:welcome:

Joining in! I'm so sorry the travel day was tough. Travel days are stressful to begin with and it's hard when the kids are tired/fussy/grumpy.

I'm glad you met some nice people on the flight. That almost makes up for the rude lady at the airport. What does she expect on a flight to Orlando?

Excited to read about your resort!
:welcome: That lady was something else :rotfl:I really liked the resort too

That was a rough start but I'll bet it got better as soon as you were officially in WDW! My kids are 8 and 10 now but when they were really small I flew alone with them several times and I can still feel the stress of those airport moments.
:welcome: I am in awe of you. I don't think I would ever survive flying with them alone

Following along! We are staying at the same hotel by Midway for our trip next week!!
:welcome: Awesome we really liked it. I was worried about the location but I felt safe the whole time

Hi! :wave: It was so great to meet you in WDW! Though I realized after that we didn't take a picture, so no one here will believe it happened. :rotfl:
Oh my gosh I know! I totally remembered the next day about the picture, oops. I was having too much fun talking to you guys.

I totally relate, though I just had the one kid to deal with - I don't know how you managed with three! :faint: I'm glad you were still able to have a great trip, despite the challenges and changes to your plans.
Yeah, I was reading your quick updates on your PTR and I think you totally can understand where I am coming from

What an awful series of events to have right before the trip! :eek: Glad things worked out okay.
Thanks

Wow, that is impressive! And I thought we had a lot of luggage (2 large suitcases, 3 rolling carryons, 2 backpacks, a purse/bag, a stroller, and a carseat. I'm impressed you managed with just that many since you had 5 people instead of 3. :worship:
Ok, that is a lot of stuff I'm impressed with me too :rotfl:. My husband complained and expected me to be able to fit everything in two suitcases :rotfl2:

I am also impressed you managed to move them all on your own! We lucked out and ended up with help when we most needed it.
oh man that is nice. Most people just stare at us like we have three heads as we pass them with all our children and luggage:laughing:.

Not only why would she say that about a flight to Disney, but why say it to a mom bringing three young kids. :confused3 If she can't believe all the children there, she's in for a rude awakening at MCO. :rotfl:
Well, she didn't say it to me, I overheard her but still. She was a piece of work since I also eavesdropped on her conversations after that :blush:

I hope he didn't find his deluxe accommodations too depressing. :rotfl2:
:rotfl2:

I think a lot of us on the DIS are like that. Introverts that can really get going with a like-minded person to talk with. I know that I have a lot more random stranger conversations at Disney than anywhere else.
Yeah, I had a ton while I was there. What can I say I love talking about Disney

:eek: Yikes, I had not heard about that. I guess I'm glad I didn't know until now.
Yeah, it was probably a good thing to be unaware. I follow WDW Prep School and she posted about it that day.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip! :goodvibes
Thanks, you'll be in it too even if it is sans picture.

Day 1: Part 2
I think I'm melting

When we left off, we had finally arrived at the Caribbean Beach Resort. I had done online check in with the hopes of bypassing custom house but, we were pulling up at check in time and with no text, I had no choice but to go to the custom house. I am actually really glad that I had to check-in in person because we got a great cast member. She gave us three plastic swords with eye patches and our buttons. Connor’s said pirate Connor for his birthday, Nicholas had a first visit button, and James got a celebration button to not be left out. We got two of the three requests I had made; first floor in Jamaica. I was also hoping for building 45 and we ended up in 41 which ended up being SO much better. We were as close as you could get to the parking lot and being close to Old Port Royale didn’t really matter because most of the time we just drove there going to or from the parks.

When I got back to the car, James and Nicholas were still asleep and we drove over to our room. Since we didn’t want to wake the little ones, I decided to go to the room and get some pictures.

I was really disappointed that we did not get a room with the murphy bed but, if that’s the biggest complaint, I think we were doing all right. As we unloaded the car, the little ones woke up which sucked, as they did not get much sleep. We attempted to get them back down but, it was no use. The boys got their Tinkerbell gifts which, were glow stick swords. We just let the boys relax and watch Stacy while we unpacked and got settled.

After about an hour, we decided to check out the resort. I wanted to walk to Old Port Royale in order to see how bad the walk was going to be. It probably took about 10 minutes but with the sun beating down on us it was brutal. James got tired halfway there.

We had an early dinner because we were itching to get to the parks. I had the chicken nugget meal which, was so big I comfortably split it with James and Nicholas and I was still full. Joe had pizza and Connor had the kid nuggets in a pail. This was my first Disney nuggets experience and they were yummy. Joe had an amazing Mother’s day cupcake which was chocolate with strawberry icing, real strawberry filling, and a chocolate strawberry on top. I had the regular vanilla which was fine but nowhere near as good as Joe’s. After dinner, we walked back to the room and got ready for the parks. We had to stop by the Custom House to pick up the double stroller we ordered from Kingdom Strollers and then we were off.

What was our first park of the trip????

I think at this point James was having another tantrum about something and I was worried about our night. The little ones usually nap for 2-3 hours during the day and they maybe got an hour each. Because of this tantrum, we were unable to get to the tram in time. We were pretty far back in the villains parking lot and I did not want to start off our week of walking by walking the entire length of the parking lot. Joe did not want to wait so we did end up just walking. Let me tell you, it was long and tiring but, we did make it before the second tram would have so, at least it was not for nothing. I really wanted to get our trip started with a ride on the monorail but, Joe had other ideas. I think because we took the ferry on our first time to Magic Kingdom, it holds some nostalgia for him. I agreed to go on the ferry. As we were waiting we took pictures of the castle in the distance.

The ride over on the ferry was full on excitement and anticipation. The boys could see the castle getting closer and Space Mountain and the train station come into view.

Getting through bag check and scanning our bands for the first time was easy. James wanted to be like us and scan his band but he refused to wear his band:confused3.

After a quick picture it was time to do what I had been waiting months for, walk down Main Street:woohoo:. There is nothing like walking under the train station for the first time each trip and getting your first glimpse of the castle. The boys were so excited because the castle and Magic Kingdom are what come to mind when they think of Disney World. There might have been a tear or two shed of pure happiness for the beginning of our Disney World trip.

One thing that was disappointing as we approached the castle was all the walls:(. I was hopeful that with the new hub areas open the construction around the castle would be over. Walt and Mickey were still behind walls as was much of the area near the castle. It certainly wasn’t ideal but, I do appreciate that it is all there to one day create an even better experience. I did think it was funny that Joe noticed the scrims had trees on it and appreciated the fact that they tried to make it look better:lmao:.

I had a promise to keep for Connor but first let’s take a selfie.

This trip I had resolved to get as many photopass pictures as I could. Our last trip I really didn’t take the time to do it and ended up with no magic shots:eek:. That would change starting now. We saw a photopass photographer outside BOG and I wanted the magic shot with chip or Lumier so, we stopped. I really wanted the kids to do it but they were having none of it :cool:. Connor is usually photogenic but he didn’t want to take a picture. Not to let the opportunity pass us by Joe and I got the picture instead.

The Photopass photographer loved Joe's face in the last one.

We still hadn't made it to out first destination when I got distracted again. We passed Gaston's Tavern and I needed a Le Fou's brew. I really liked this drink last time but, I think, in the heat it was just too much. What I really needed was some water and here I was drinking the sweetest drink known to man. Also, a word about the heat. I know that Florida is HOT but, when you read as many TRs as I do and you see hundreds of beautiful pictures of WDW and it just looks like a nice day, you can selectively choose to forget about the heat. But let me tell you, don't let my pictures deceive you, it was brutal. I'm talking dripping sweat by 8am, melt your face off hot.

We had been in the parks not very long but, we still had not made it to our first destination. I had a promise to keep to Connor that had been made months prior...

Next Post

Last edited:
I love your photopass pictures with the boys in strollers and lumiere. Nice start to your trip. :thumbsup2

Oh boy, those travel days sounded brutal. This is why I have only the one child, haha, and even then on her last two trips I took along grandma + godmother so the balance was firmly on the adult side ;) And yes, I agree about the heat! We're Canadians and I am not made for such temperatures! We went in September and I pretty much said never again, heh. October-February for us! Looking forward to your next posts :)

Just found your report and I'm in. We're traveling with our son who will be almost 3 at the time of the trip and the plane is my biggest worry, so I'm glad(?) to see that even with your three and it not going perfectly, it still wasn't that bad.

Have been absent from the boards for a while and have been lurking for good TR's to keep me going until our trip in September next year. Loving everything so far, apart from a shaky start you are at Disney World and things can only get better from there :-) Can't wait to read more :goodvibes

What a great first moment walking into MK! I agree that there is nothing better than turning that corner down Main Street and seeing the castle. Pure magic!

We didn't really take full advantage of our Memory Maker last trip and I'm going to try to be better about stopping at photographers this time too! I think I was so wrapped up in our touring schedule the first time that the pictures fell off my radar.

Love the magic shot! Excited to see what your first destination is!

Joe had an amazing Mother’s day cupcake which was chocolate with strawberry icing, real strawberry filling, and a chocolate strawberry on top.
Wish I had come across this one.

There is nothing like walking under the train station for the first time each trip and getting your first glimpse of the castle.
::yes::::yes::::yes::::yes::::yes::::yes::::yes::

There might have been a tear or two shed of pure happiness for the beginning of our Disney World trip.
Just wait till you hear how many I shead! :rolleyes1:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

Walt and Mickey were still behind walls as was much of the area near the castle.
I was bummed about this as well!

MK_BELLEVILLAGEBRIDGEICONNC_7303426890%20400x267_zpsnrhrsv11.jpg
Love it! :thumbsup2

I know that Florida is HOT but, when you read as many TRs as I do and you see hundreds of beautiful pictures of WDW and it just looks like a nice day, you can selectively choose to forget about the heat. But let me tell you, don't let my pictures deceive you, it was brutal. I'm talking dripping sweat by 8am, melt your face off hot.
Its not the heat, it s the humidity. And if you aren't used to extreme humidity it can get you quickly. Even those experienced with humidity can get caught off guard by the the extremes of FL.

I was really disappointed that we did not get a room with the murphy bed but, if that’s the biggest complaint, I think we were doing all right.
That stinks, but overall, it looks like your room worked out great. And at least you were able to get into it right away!

After about an hour, we decided to check out the resort. I wanted to walk to Old Port Royale in order to see how bad the walk was going to be. It probably took about 10 minutes but with the sun beating down on us it was brutal. James got tired halfway there.
I can't blame him. That's a rough walk for short legs.

We were pretty far back in the villains parking lot and I did not want to start off our week of walking by walking the entire length of the parking lot. Joe did not want to wait so we did end up just walking. Let me tell you, it was long and tiring but, we did make it before the second tram would have so, at least it was not for nothing.
I'm totally with Joe on this one. I never want to wait for the trams. I figure I'm going to be walking a ton anyway... and truthfully I'd rather be walking than standing. When I'm standing is when any pain or discomfort really starts to catch up. But really, I just hate trying to fold strollers and get onto the trams. So I'd much rather just walk than deal with that part of it.

The ride over on the ferry was full on excitement and anticipation. The boys could see the castle getting closer and Space Mountain and the train station come into view.
I'm like you. I prefer the monorail. But I will say, that the ferry is probably better for getting these views of the park as you're approaching it.

After a quick picture it was time to do what I had been waiting months for, walk down Main Street:woohoo:. There is nothing like walking under the train station for the first time each trip and getting your first glimpse of the castle.
::yes:: The best moment of the trip.

I did think it was funny that Joe noticed the scrims had trees on it and appreciated the fact that they tried to make it look better:lmao:.
Well, I guess that's one way to look at it. At least they're making some kind of an effort. But the fake tree pictures I've seen just look... odd, I guess. :confused3

I know that Florida is HOT but, when you read as many TRs as I do and you see hundreds of beautiful pictures of WDW and it just looks like a nice day, you can selectively choose to forget about the heat. But let me tell you, don't let my pictures deceive you, it was brutal. I'm talking dripping sweat by 8am, melt your face off hot.
Excellent point. The pictures never tell the story. But oh my yes. It is hotter than hot there!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter