"I DO...want dessert" Our 10-Day DxDP Honeymoon-FINAL POST

Just last night I substituted one of our 3 Boma breakfasts for Tusker House just so that we could get into AK early before the park opened. Do you remember if they have regular oatmeal on the menu? My DH loves to have his oatmeal every day. We have an 8:25 am ADR and AK opens at 9:00 am. We'll also be staying at AKL. Did you take the Disney bus? What time did you catch it?

I'm in, I plan on going to a lot of the same restaurants.
Thanks for such a great review - and congratulations! :cheer2:

Congratulations on your marriage and welcome back! I can't wait to try Jiko in December. Thanks for sharing your pictures :thumbsup2 I'm sure there's plenty more to come...

YAY! Got it!!
Thank you!
That was bugging me because I enjoy reading the reviews with links so much more than those without!
I truly appreciate it.:goodvibes
I'm so glad you could figure out my directions. :thumbsup2

And, I agree... I like reviews with links better, too. :goodvibes

Just last night I substituted one of our 3 Boma breakfasts for Tusker House just so that we could get into AK early before the park opened. Do you remember if they have regular oatmeal on the menu? My DH loves to have his oatmeal every day. We have an 8:25 am ADR and AK opens at 9:00 am. We'll also be staying at AKL. Did you take the Disney bus? What time did you catch it?

If my memory serves me correctly, they did have oatmeal. I cannot swear by it, because I didn't have it. I think it's in the far left corner of the buffet.

Our ADR was 8:25 as well. I think we left our room to catch the bus from AKL around 7:30. Beware...some of the busses took forever to even come to the bus stop at AKL. Also, we found that many were full from Kidani Village before they even got to Jambo House (especially if there were any motorized scooters). You shouldn't have any problem getting to AK, but if you want to have breakfast at any other parks or resorts, allow at least an hour.

If my memory serves me correctly, they did have oatmeal. I cannot swear by it, because I didn't have it. I think it's in the far left corner of the buffet.

Our ADR was 8:25 as well. I think we left our room to catch the bus from AKL around 7:30. Beware...some of the busses took forever to even come to the bus stop at AKL. Also, we found that many were full from Kidani Village before they even got to Jambo House (especially if there were any motorized scooters). You shouldn't have any problem getting to AK, but if you want to have breakfast at any other parks or resorts, allow at least an hour.

Thanks Heather, we'll be eating all but one of our other breakfasts at AKL. On our MK day we'll use snack credits for the Main Street Bakery. With the exception of the early entry into AK for Tusker we do not plan to try for any rope drops so I am hoping that the buses will not be too bad.

We had a very early dinner ADR (4:45) since we had booked the Fantasmic! package. I was excited about trying The Brown Derby...DH wasn't as excited. We had read a bunch of mixed reviews and I think that not many other Fantasmic package options are what convinced him to try this.

(Background info: DH's first trip ever was last year. We waited in line for 2 hours to try to see Fantasmic, which was finally cancelled due to torrential rain and lightning. Therefore, we HAD to see Fantasmic this year and wanted to get the dining package so we wouldn't have to wait for 2 hours.)

We were seated at one of the round booth tables against the wall with the white tablecloths. :) If I could have picked any table in the whole restaurant, I would have picked the one we were given. We decided to hold back on the wine/beer tonight since we knew we would be indulging later on in the trip (Cali Grill, FLying Fish, Ohana, etc.).

For my appetizer, I got the Cobb Salad.
Honeymoon155.jpg

And YES (to all those who wonder) the Cobb salad is plenty for 2 people, but only counts as 1 app. YAY! Could I be any luckier?! And also, DH tried it and ate every bite...avocados and all. (We did request it without blue cheese only because we are both firm believers that blue cheese is downright nasty. :sick: ) We thought it was super-cool to see the guy toss up the salad right in front of us. If we had a video camera, this would have been one of the 2 times we used it the entire trip. (Side note for you curious people: The other time was at AK when we watched the gorilla pick his nose and eat it! Totally awesome!!)
Honeymoon154.jpg

For his app, DH got the crab cake.
Honeymoon156.jpg

He proclaimed it the best crab cake he's ever had (he proceeded to say those exact same words 2 other times during our trip, but that's beside the point). I tasted it and it was a dang good crabcake. I feel like we are tough crab/crab cake critics because we live right on the eastern shore of Delaware. Crabs (and chicken) are our specialty. So, if we say they are good crab cakes, then they are good crab cakes. The coleslaw on top was a yummy contrasting flavor and texture.

My entree was the grouper (I think?!).
Honeymoon157.jpg

Honestly, I don't remember much about this dish. If I went back, I would probably try something different. It wasn't bad, just not very memorable.

DH got the lamb chops (shocker!!).
Honeymoon158.jpg

He loved them. Although he truly enjoyed last night's lamb at Jiko, I think he enjoyed these even more. Jiko put their own twist on the lamb with unique flavors, while these chops were a flavor he is more used to...comfort food, if you will. He ate every scrap and probably would've eaten more.

I really wanted to try the famous grapefruit cake...however, I don't like grapefruit or cream cheese frosting (crazy, I know). So at the last minute I decided on the banana white chocolate toffee tower.
Honeymoon159.jpg

Holy crap, was this fantastic! (I would love to have one right now.) It was one of the best desserts I ate on the entire trip, and I'm not even a banana fanatic. It was not too sweet, not too banana-y, and just right.

DH got the vanilla bean creme brulee.
Honeymoon160.jpg

He ate almost all of it and it was good, but mine was better. :P

All in all, it was a great dinner. We loved the experience and DH enjoyed it much more than he thought he would. I would recommend The Brown Derby for anyone who needs/wants to have a nice dinner at HS. The Fantasmic! package was the way to go. We only waited about 35 minutes for the show, had decent seats, and DH finally got to see it (Yay!). He loved the special effects, as I knew he would.

Next up: Crystal Palace Breakfast

Great reviews so far!! Congrats on your marriage and all!! I can totally relate to that feeling you get after soooo much excitement, as we were married last year in June and spent our Disneymoon in WDW as well. I totally feel you girl!! Can't wait to read more!! We missed our CP breakfast, and we're doing it in November, so can't wait to read about your experience/ :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Thanks for the Brown Derby review. I thinking about making a ressie there to have the cobb salad as my entree, and your pic shows it's huge!

Great reviews so far!! Congrats on your marriage and all!! I can totally relate to that feeling you get after soooo much excitement, as we were married last year in June and spent our Disneymoon in WDW as well. I totally feel you girl!! Can't wait to read more!! We missed our CP breakfast, and we're doing it in November, so can't wait to read about your experience/ :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes
Thanks! It seems silly to be bummed it's over...I should be grateful we had so much time in D-World. But, I can't help it. I'm still ready to start planning another trip!
Thanks for the Brown Derby review. I thinking about making a ressie there to have the cobb salad as my entree, and your pic shows it's huge!
It's definitely big enough for your entree if you on;y want to stick with a salad. It was delicious, too!

thanks for the great update on Brown Derby. I thought you had to order the salad for 2 people. I always wanted to try it but if my husband can get his own appt I can order the salad?

Sorry to jump in but we had breakfast at TH on our last trip and loved it.
They do have Oatmeal and I ate lots of it :goodvibes

thanks for the great update on Brown Derby. I thought you had to order the salad for 2 people. I always wanted to try it but if my husband can get his own appt I can order the salad?
You're exactly right! I felt kinda bad because I had completely pressured my DH into splitting tha salad with me. My though was: you can't go to HBD and NOT get the Cobb salad. I felt pretty guilty because although he agreed, there's no way a non-veggie guy would choose a salad over all those yummy, meaty apps. We were both very happy when we learned the salad was only 1 app credit.
Great update :thumbsup2

Your food at HBD looked delicious

And it WAS delicious. I would definitely go back.

Okay, I'll just come right out and say it... I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Crystal Palace breakfast. Seriously. And I don't even care about the characters (and the crowd gasps!).

First of all, walking down a nearly empty Main Street and seeing the castle with no one around is simply amazing to me. If you are only going to go to one breakfast during your stay at D-World, get up early and go to CP for an 8:05 ADR. It is truly breathtaking.
Honeymoon181.jpg

Onto the food. It is our opinion that CP has the best food of all the breakfast buffets. The reason: puffed french toast. Oh my God. This is seriously the best stuff I have ever had. I found a recipe online somewhere and I am this close |-| to investing in a small deep fryer so that I can make this french toast whenever I want. I honestly thought about this almost every other day between our 2 trips that were a year apart. It is that good.

Another reason I love CP (I'm alone on this one since DH is anti-vegetables) is the vegetable fritatta. It's spectacular. Mixed veggies, cheese, and eggs in almost an omlette casserole. Simply delicious!

We didn't even stay for all the characters this time. We were in and out by 8:35, as we only came for the food. That gave us perfect timing to stroll our way (by ourselves, no crowds) over to the rope at Tomorrowland for the drop and dash to Space Mountain. It really was perfect.

I would recommend CP breakfast to anyone who is planning to eat breakfast at all, on a MK day. It is a beautiful restaurant, great food, and amazing experience all around.

Next up: The Plaza lunch

Sorry to jump in but we had breakfast at TH on our last trip and loved it.
They do have Oatmeal and I ate lots of it :goodvibes

Thanks, Linda. I'm glad you jumped in to answer.

Heather, your descriptions and pictures of your dining plan are a wonderful help in giving your readers a "flavor" of the restaurants you tried.

thats a GREAT picture of the castle. We are going to CP at 8:05 for our December trip and can't wait. We always go for lunch at CP and this is our first time trying breakfast.

What a great picture of the castle! How cool is that?? :cool1:

Now you have me wishing we had an ADR for CP. That puffed french toast...I've heard good things...!

thats a GREAT picture of the castle. We are going to CP at 8:05 for our December trip and can't wait. We always go for lunch at CP and this is our first time trying breakfast.
I have never tried lunch, but this is my 2nd time for breakfast. I went once for dinner about 6 years ago. It was good, but I love me a big breakfast!

Thanks, Linda. I'm glad you jumped in to answer.

Heather, your descriptions and pictures of your dining plan are a wonderful help in giving your readers a "flavor" of the restaurants you tried.
I'm glad you are enjoying them. I'm thinking maybe I should go back next week just to eat all that food again. I want my reviews to be as accurate as possible. ;) Think DH will agree?
What a great picture of the castle! How cool is that?? :cool1:

Now you have me wishing we had an ADR for CP. That puffed french toast...I've heard good things...!
The castle with an empty Main Street is an incredible experience. I'm not even a sentimental kinda gal, but it gets me every time. It's funny because I don't think we said a word to each other as we walked down Main Street...just kinda stared in awe.

We gotta stop talking about this french toast...I want some now!! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter