I dislike the 'Ohana entertainment - will I hate the Luau?

bizeemom4

DIS Veteran
The reviews of the Luau are that the first half is really cheesy entertainment. Very corny. I cannot stand that woman at 'Ohana and her silly songs. Is the Luau the same style of entertainment?

The reviews of the Luau are that the first half is really cheesy entertainment. Very corny. I cannot stand that woman at 'Ohana and her silly songs. Is the Luau the same style of entertainment?

Luau sucks. Hoop De Doo is good.

We went to the Luau in May after not having done it since 1988. I never have to do it again. We really didn't like it all that much. I'm not sorry I did it but I don't have to do it again.

I, personally, dislike the woman at 'Ohana. I'd agree with the term "cheesy".

The luau is more of a stage show, with a little interaction with the kids at the end. Some of the entertainers are quite talented. If you like High School Musical, you'd probably like the luau. I thought seeing it once in a lifetime was enough.

The difference between 'Ohana and the luau enjoyability, IMO, comes down to the ability to ignore the performances and concentrate on the food. At the luau, food is brought out and the show interrupts dinner occasionally. At 'Ohana, you can ignore the show and just eat. The luau set menu is merely ok. Imagine the difficulty of serving 200 people at once, and you can imagine why some stuff came out less than piping hot. 'Ohana isn't trying to simultaneously serve the same courses, so everything is served hot. At the luau, I don't think I saw a single person ask for a second serving of anything. At 'Ohana, they'll ask you if you'd like more of a dish that obviously was enjoyed by the table (more bread pudding and pot stickers, please!).

I wasnt thrilled about the lady at ohana either. She wasnt bad, but youre right, its pretty cheesy. The food isnt the best either.

I found the woman at 'Ohana to be completely annoying. That on top of dry meat made it a dud for us.

Our Ratings of Luau:
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: The Luau is a play upon the traditional Hawaiian or Pacific luau.
However, the "play" is silly at best and sub-par when compared to any
authentic luau. If you never plan upon attending a true luau, then this
would suffice. If you have done a real luau, or will in the future, leave this
unattended. A far better choice would be the Makahiki Luau (Sea World)

I cancelled my reservation. Cat 2 was sold out for 10/31 so hopefully I made someone else happy. I'm happy that I cancelled.

I totally agreed about the cheesy/creepy lady at Ohana. I really disliked that aspect of Ohana - the rest was pretty good.

The first part of the luau didn't bother me as much as the Ohana lady. Even though the storyline is pretty lame, you could pretty much ignore it as you ate. The second half of the luau show was very good, and the flame dancer was amazing.

But, as someone else suggested, Hoop-De-Doo Revue is GREAT - go to that show!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter