I counted...25+ loads of laundry a week!

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by lonegirl, Jan 27, 2010.

1. lonegirl

lonegirl Mouseketeer

Jun 21, 2006
    Try it, you'll be amazed at how many loads you do! So we'll be needing new machines soon and wanted to know if those new steam machines are worth it???
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. shaylahc1

shaylahc1 Mouseketeer

May 26, 2006
    I have 4 kids and we do about that many loads a week. We call throwing the wash in "feeding the laundry monster":rotfl: I actually don't mind washing it...but putting it away and ironing----bleah:sad2:

ETA we have a front loader and it saves us about $50 a month on our water bill. We always wash on cold, though.
  4. msmayor

msmayor Finding my beach...

Jun 29, 2005
    25 loads a week? My household has 4 people and I do 11 loads a week...and that includes towels and sheets.
  5. abcboys

abcboys DIS Veteran

Feb 27, 2006
    We are a family of five and I do nowhere near 25 loads a week! I would go crazy!!! But, we reuse towels and jammies and I also don't change sheets every week.
  6. pyrxtc

pyrxtc <font color=deeppink>Married 10-5-02<br><font colo

Jan 21, 2004
    Family of 6 and we do about 6 loads each week.
  7. disykat

disykat DIS Veteran

Jun 5, 2000
    Family of 4 (all adult sized) plus a sometimes muddy dog and we usually do 9 or less. I do 3 - 5 loads of clothes a week and 2 - 4 loads of linens (towels, everyone's sheets, and I also rotate through blankets etc. so they get washed occasionally)

Even though my teens are capable of doing their own laundry I prefer to do everyone's together - no one is allowed to do partial loads.
  8. kayla87

kayla87 Mouseketeer

Jun 12, 2008
    I wouldn't be surprised. Two people, two dogs, max 4 loads of laundry a week. I refuse to do more laundry than that, so it it doesn't fit in four loads, it waits until next week :teeth:

Our washer and dryer are about as old as me, so I'm simply waiting for the day we need to replace them. I don't know much about modern appliances, so I'd be interested to hear what other people use. I don't think I've ever known someone who uses a steam washer.
  9. J3nn78

J3nn78 DIS Veteran

Jul 20, 2008
    We are a family of 4 and I do 4-5 loads a week. I do them all on Saturday. Usually 2 color loads, 1 white, and 1-2 sheets and towels
    We do not put things in the hamper unless they are truly dirty or been worn more than once or twice (except underwear!)
    We have a LG Front loader.
  10. mommy2allyandaveri

mommy2allyandaveri DIS Veteran

Sep 19, 2006
    I do 8 loads per week, all linens included. We are a family of 4. I change sheets weekly and towels weekly. We lived with my in-laws for a short time while waiting for our house to be ready. The do not re-use towels at all. They did a load of towels every day:scared1:
  11. a1tinkfans

a1tinkfans Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Aug 12, 2006
    :laundy: OMG! that is a LOT of time in the laundry room, :eek:
    Family of three...I do laundry one time a week, (if the teen misses it, he is OUT of luck!) We each have our OWN laundry basket and one in mens bathroom. All dh dirty stuff is 1 load, mine and the ds together, and then an undergarment wash ( I think we could go 2-3 weeks with all the undies we all have) :rotfl2: and an all towel wash and I am done! 4/5 loads with sheets. They get changed once a week but I often wait another week to wash it since I have so many sets to use. I wash, hang up many things to dry, throw the rest in dryer, and literally it gets hung up and put away. I really try to just be done with it all!
    I am not a big fan of ironing. Sons stuff gets hung to dry mostly and then hung in a closet. Jeans (literally like 10 pairs) are hung on a hook in his room. The dh shirts get ironed as little as possible. He does not have to wear dress shirts but is always in a collar one, more casual style.
    Me, I am usually not dressed up as I work at home :lovestruc and am comfy and lately in shorts and sneakers to jump on the treadmill thruout the day...but thats another story :rotfl2:
    I am usually done in a full morning, doing other things while the machines are running. I am a Serious Multi Tasker :lmao: and usually am washing the floor or vacuuming or getting something else accomplished while that goes on. I also like to clean that same day, just once a week with "straighten ups" during the week.....Once a week dog grooming as well....then theres shopping, then theres errands and household finances, and work...GEEZE, I need a REST! :rotfl2::rotfl2: BUt I know there are many of you out there doing the same things, SUPER women for Sure!!! :thumbsup2
  12. pearlieq

pearlieq <font color=green>They can sit & spin<br><font col

Aug 3, 2004
    What the heck are you washing? Do you all change clothes 3 times a day? :laughing:

We are 4 adults and we maybe do 5-6 loads per week.

JEFFSWIFE11 Mouseketeer

Jan 22, 2009
    I think I do 15 to 20 loads a week. I wash everything, but hate to put it up. I have my husband and kids do it :).
  14. CTdiznymom

CTdiznymom DIS Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    We're 3 working adults and a sahm. I do a load of 6 towels every day. Sheets get changed every 2 weeks if I'm lucky. My 2 dd's wear 3 outfits a day. Work clothes, gym clothes, and scrub clothes at home. If they go out after coming home say for drinks then it's another outfit which ends up inthe hamper as they don't dare wear it again. Needless to say, I am doing laundry 3 times a week roughly 4-5 loads each time. Then I do all my dh's shirts/pants which means Friday is ironing day. It was so much easier when they were children! I'm beginning to feel like Cinderella. :laundy:
  15. StephMK

StephMK DIS Veteran

Mar 22, 2004
    Wow, what the heck are you washing and how big is your family &/or washer? We have a set of Whirlpool Cabrio HE and do maybe 5-6 a week? DH & I share a hamper & each kid (3) has their own. DD16 does her own laundry & DH does the rest at night mostly during the week. I do the sheets & change the beds.

Our washer will hold a full hamper full of stuff. He usually does 1 of the kids colors, 1 whites for everyone & 1 for us colors & DD's load +plus sheets/towels and sometimes the towels get thrown in w/other stuff.

I also don't iron unless completely necessary and won't buy clothes for the kids that need it. DH does his bus casual shirts as needed for work. Mostly we hang quickly to minimize wrinkles.
  16. Tinker'n'Fun

Tinker'n'Fun Apple peaches pumpkin pie, not ready holler "I"

Mar 27, 2005
    Family of 4. 3-5 loads per day depending on if I am doing sheets or pillow cases. I average 28-35 loads per week. We do re-wear pj's and we have uniforms that need to be washed daily.
  17. Kat77

Kat77 <font color=blue>Now if I could just remember how

Jun 18, 2006
    We average 20 loads a week easily BUT we do not reuse towels and that is honestly the majority of our washing. I never knew other families reused towels until well into my adulthood. When I was growing up my mom was a home nurse and super freaky about sanitizing our towels since she brought home all sorts of germs daily :sick:. DH works for an airline so it just carried on here. It's probably an unnecessary habit (just thinking through it now) since any germs are most likely washed away before towels get used. :confused:
    :rotfl: Dh washes our kids gym clothes waaay more often than I do! It icks him out I will wait to wash them on weekends BUT the kids do not have daily PE & only wear them indoors for 1 hr. 2-3x's/wk. I do believe this is the one and only household thing he is pickier about than me!!!
  18. buzz5985

buzz5985 DIS Veteran

Jul 6, 2000
    I average between 7 - 10. We are a family of 4, 3 adults and one child. I have 3 laundry hampers, 1 for whites, 1 for warm, 1 for cold. Hand wash and delicates are done separately. Everyone sorts their own clothes into the appropriate hamper, and you better turn your clothes rightside out, or inside out depending on how the item is washed. If there is a stain - you better spray it. LOL When one of the hampers is full, that is a full load. Every morning I will grab whichever one is full and throw it in the washer. DH does an additional load of his work clothes which is kept separate - he is a plumber. I only wash towels about every 5 days. Each person has their own color towel - mine is lavender - and none are the same color as the "company towels". Sheets get done once per week.

19. CC12005

CC12005 Mouseketeer

May 22, 2008
    If you do 25+ loads a week, you probably do not want a steam washer & dryer. I do not have one, but I recently purchased a new front W&D. During my research I found out that the steam setting is very limited and time consuming. During the drying cycle if you would like to use the steam setting the max amount of garments was 4 at a time. You would probably quickly stop using the steam cycle & regreting you spent the thousands extra just for that function. Hope that helps.
  20. indimom

indimom Are We There Yet?

Jul 18, 2008
    We are a family of four and have about 10 loads a week. 25 would KILL me!!!
    I do the kids' bedding every other week and rotate them so it doesn't all get done in one weekend. They take baths at night so I figure it isn't really getting dirty. They wear pajamas for several days in a row for the same reason. We reuse towells 2-3 times before they go in the hamper.
    We usually have two loads of DH work clothes, two loads of jeans in the winter months, two loads of whites/lights, a load of colors, and a load of towells, 2-3 loads of bedding depending on the season. I wash and dry all day, setting aside the few items that wrinkle easily, then we have a family folding/hanging session at night that takes about an hour while watching TV. I hang A LOT to avoid wrinkles. I hate ironing, but do a little every now and again.
  21. NYCDiane

NYCDiane DIS Veteran

May 31, 2009
    There's no reason to have 25 loads of laundry per week. That's ridiculous.