I can't wait any longer! ~UPDATE 5/25 I'm back!

Tracy161

DIS Veteran
I can't wait any longer!!!

My 3rd solo adventure!

May 17-24 Pre-trip Report

Pop Century

Hello, everyone! I’m Tracy, a long-time Disney lover, long-time Disboards member, and first-time trip reporter. Each time I take a trip I think to myself this is the time I’ll write a report. This time I’m absolutely going to. And I’ve decided to go a step above that and acquaint myself to the trip reporting world by first doing a PTR.
Me and Ed.jpg

That’s me… the one without the CM nametag ;) Side note: Ed (pictured here) was one of the best CMs I've ever met - I had the privilege of being the only passenger on his bus on my last trip and we chatted about Disney and just life in general. It was one of the trip's most special moments.
So… first of, some introductions, or… an introduction.
Who: Just me! I’m a 32 year old who works in a museum. Most days, I love my job. This will be my third solo trip to Disney (11th total) and I’m looking forward to it immensely. I think there’s just something about the freedom to do whatever you want, whenever you want that makes solo tripping especially fun for me. Also, I’m a very fast-paced Disney traveler. Some might even call me – gasp! – a commando style one. Few people in my real life – and by that I mean one that I can think of (my youngest sister Ashley, see picture of us below) – could happily tolerate me whilst on a Disney vacay. I think better of my friendships than to involve them in this crazy world of mine. That being said, I do know how to relax and I do hope to do a lot of that on this trip; it’s just that I always want to make the most of my Disney trips and infinite hours of lolly-gagging around just isn’t my style.
Me and Ash.jpg

When: Sunday, May 17-Sunday, May 24 I had some work commitments, my niece’s impending April birth, and my nephew’s May birthday (he’ll be 2!) to work around in the coming months but I’m happy I finally settled on these dates. Memorial Day falls a little early this year (May 25) so I’m a little disappointed I’ll be encountering those crowds the second half of my trip, but I figured dealing with that was better than waiting any longer. My last trip to Disney was in September 2013 and I just wasn’t prepared to wait any more!
Where: Pop Century Resort [and Spa] – Rob, lookin’ at you! And here's also hoping you read this... :laughing:
Pop Century Room.jpg
What: 7-Day Magic your way ticket with park hopper plus quick-service dining. I went round and round (for a whole 3 minutes) about whether or not I wanted to purchase the dining plan. In September, of course, I got free dining and fell in love with the ease of it all. True, I’d probably make out a bit better by just paying out of pocket, but I figured what the heck.
I have a voucher from USAir for a flight I took last May from Venice to Philadelphia that was diverted to Dublin and even made the CNN headlines! I had planned on using that for this trip but after doing the math (USAir was charging over $500 for worse flights than what I could find on Travelocity), I decided to go with JetBlue. Mercifully, I found a direct flight into MCO that arrives at 10:45am on the 17th! For someone who travels from a small town in upstate New York, this nonstop flight is just magical to me. It will buy me so much more time in the parks on arrival day – the special significance of this is that Sunday, May 17th is the final day of Epcot’s International Flower & Garden Festival! I haven’t been to that since June 2006 (my first solo trip) so I’m really, really excited for that!
I think that just about covers the basics! I’ll be back with more details as I work them out. I’ll also probably do the standard “favorites” of each park and a general outline of what I plan to do each day. I’ll have to fight the urge to post continuously so I have enough to spread out until departure day.

I decided to start this tonight as I now have my flights booked AND a deposit down on my package!!! :thumbsup2:goodvibes:cloud9:

Last edited:

I enjoy how you mention that you wouldn't want to put your friends and family through how you like to tour. :p When I was in high school, my parents and sister often said that they needed roller skates to keep up with me in Disney. So when they heard I was planning my first trip with my family (me - 34, dh - 3 38, dd - 7, dd - 4) my mom told my oldest that she would need roller blades to keep up with me :jumping1: Of course, she had no idea what my mom was talking about, but she will after August.

I have never solo vacationed before, but since I have had kids...I dream about going on vacation by myself. So I am going to follow along and live vicariously through you.

Cheers, Katie

Joining in! :yay: Yay for a fellow May trip taker!

:welcome:So happy you're here! Yay for May trips!!! :thumbsup2

I enjoy how you mention that you wouldn't want to put your friends and family through how you like to tour. :p When I was in high school, my parents and sister often said that they needed roller skates to keep up with me in Disney. So when they heard I was planning my first trip with my family (me - 34, dh - 3 38, dd - 7, dd - 4) my mom told my oldest that she would need roller blades to keep up with me :jumping1: Of course, she had no idea what my mom was talking about, but she will after August.

I have never solo vacationed before, but since I have had kids...I dream about going on vacation by myself. So I am going to follow along and live vicariously through you.

Cheers, Katie

:welcome:, Katie! HAHAHA! Yes! Roller skates would be a useful piece of equipment to keep up with people like us, huh?! Solo trips really are amazing, you should absolutely try some day. ::yes:: But I imagine going with kids ages 7 and 4 is just magical! That's the beauty of the Dis - we can all live vicariously through each other :goodvibes

The most magical part is when I can grab a drink or beer while in Epcot as my children fight...because there is no denial that it will happen :headache: Dh isn't a big traveler. So I told my oldest when she graduates HS, we are doing a Europe trip :jumping1:

The most magical part is when I can grab a drink or beer while in Epcot as my children fight...because there is no denial that it will happen :headache: Dh isn't a big traveler. So I told my oldest when she graduates HS, we are doing a Europe trip :jumping1:

HAHAHA! Well that's certainly the right attitude! It's gonna happen so... might as well make the most of it, right?! ;) Ahhh, a European trip post-graduation - you MUST do it!!!

Joining in! I often dream of a solo trip. Even for a few days just to take it all in! I am sure you will have a blast! :thumbsup2

:welcome: Very happy you're with us, piratehookspixiedust! Solo trips really are amazing - make sure you do one someday! And stay tuned... I'll probably have some suggestions along the way! ;)
YAAAAAAAY! A PTR! party: Oh, and you're going to DISNEY! YAY!
Following along, obviously. ;)

YAY!!!!!! So happy to see you, Alexis! I've already read your email and will respond if I get home at a reasonable hour tonight (like 9pm, haha, I'm such an old lady) - going out to see a movie with some friends. I did, however, see you puppy picture! OMG so darn beautiful!!! :goodvibes Yep, it's true... I'll be in Disney soon! Hoping we can meet officially! Maybe you can be my first official Dis meet! ::yes::

Hi guys! :wave2:

I've been doing a little work in preparation for my trip. Last night I sat down and created a preliminary spreadsheet detailing park hours and my tentative, "flexible" plans for what
park(s) I plan to hit up on which days. I still have some time until I can make my reservations for FastPass+ (March 18 to be exact), but this makes it feel like I'm one step closer to leaving...

With that said, I logged onto My Disney Experience this afternoon and up popped this major milestone: "99 days to go!" Double digits! :thumbsup2

Woohoo!

So I also thought I'd take this opportunity to introduce myself a little more. Like I may have implied earlier, I'm a 32 year old kid who is obsessed with all things Disney but most importantly Walt himself and the parks. I have an entire bookcase in my apartment devoted to Walt biographies and other related books. I'm sure it's an obsession that many of us here share. :love:

Anywho... I grew up absolutely obsessed. In reviewing old pictures and videos from childhood, I can be easily identified as the one wearing a Disney shirt. I have a very distinct memory during a trip when I was 15. My family was staying at [then Dixie Landings] Port Orleans - Riverside and we had just arrived. Some wonderful CMs helped my family (and all our luggage) onto a golf cart and we went whizzing down a path toward our room. That moment, on a warm December evening with the resort aglow with Christmas spirit, knowing I had our whole vacation ahead of me, I believed right then and there that this place was simply heaven on earth. And it has been for me every day since.

If you're reading this, you get it. You know exactly what I mean and if you haven't yet taken that first trip... you'll know it soon enough!

Okay. Emotions back in check. ;) Let's get down to some important must-know info:

Favorite Parks: Magic Kingdom and Epcot

100_2294.JPG
100_2317.JPG

Favorite Rides: Big Thunder Mountain, Soarin', Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Dinosaur, and
People Mover (obligatory photo opp below)

100_2301.JPG

Favorite Character: Belle. Not only is she my favorite from childhood, but hello? I work in a library (of a museum, as I mentioned before), she can't not be my favorite. Side note: each Halloween a co-worker and I Disneybound as a favorite character. This past year, I went as Anna but the year before that I went as Belle. (trying to dig up a picture...)

Favorite Disney Restaurant: Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater

Now, I'd like to take a page out of Wendy's (teekathepony) book and ask you what yours are:
Favorite park(s)
Favorite ride(s)
Favorite character(s)
Favorite Disney restaurant(s)

Last edited:
Favorite park: It was MGM Studios when I was younger and the last time I went in 1998. It was so very cool then...alas, I have heard it has gone down the tube since then. Will have to report back after our trip in August. It might be Epcot since I can now drink alcohol in the park. With 2 young kids I think I might need this.

Favorite ride: Tower of Terror, Great Movie Ride (sigh...I know), Muppets 3D

Favorite character: Tigger, Stitch, and Tiana. Frozen fever is all over our house and honestly, I am so over those two. But my youngest (4) is all about Elsa.

Favorite Disney restaurant: I haven't eaten at a whole lot. Last time I went I loved the Hoop de doo Musical review. Also really liked the Crystal Palace. Not eating at either of those this time. So I guess we will see :-)

Favorite park: It was MGM Studios when I was younger and the last time I went in 1998. It was so very cool then...alas, I have heard it has gone down the tube since then. Will have to report back after our trip in August. It might be Epcot since I can now drink alcohol in the park. With 2 young kids I think I might need this.

Favorite ride: Tower of Terror, Great Movie Ride (sigh...I know), Muppets 3D

Favorite character: Tigger, Stitch, and Tiana. Frozen fever is all over our house and honestly, I am so over those two. But my youngest (4) is all about Elsa.

Favorite Disney restaurant: I haven't eaten at a whole lot. Last time I went I loved the Hoop de doo Musical review. Also really liked the Crystal Palace. Not eating at either of those this time. So I guess we will see :-)

When I was younger, mine was definitely MGM, too! :thumbsup2 I still love it, but you can only have so many favorite parks so I had to stop at 2. :rotfl:No need to apologize, I'm obsessed with the Great Movie Ride... in fact, that should have been on my list, too. ::yes:: I'll be anxious to hear about your new favorites after your trip!

Park: MK
Ride: Peoplemover
Character: Tiana/Belle/Ariel
Restaurant: Ohana

YES! All great ones! I make Ohana's bread pudding on every family occasion that I can possibly think of - it's always a hit and sooo good! Though... truth be told... it's been forever since I've actually been at the restaurant itself. :sad2:

I'm in! Great report so far! Makes me more excited for my solo trip reading about others who have done it before and are planning more solo trips. Also, love the photo of you with the balloons in the background! So cute!!!

Joining as I plan our 1st trip! Can't wait to feel a little heaven on earth especially since I live in Iowa and no this is not heaven lol :cold:.

I'm in! Great report so far! Makes me more excited for my solo trip reading about others who have done it before and are planning more solo trips. Also, love the photo of you with the balloons in the background! So cute!!!

Hi Kristi! :wave2: So happy to see you made it over here! Thanks! :goodvibes You should absolutely be sooo excited for your solo trip. The proof of how great they are is in the fact that so many of us solo trippers just keep booking more solo trips! Probably about half of the TRs I happen to follow are written by regular solo trippers. Thanks so much - that picture was taken on my arrival day on my last trip (also solo)... that explains why I look so happy! ;) But really, when in Disney am I not?! :rotfl:

Joining as I plan our 1st trip! Can't wait to feel a little heaven on earth especially since I live in Iowa and no this is not heaven lol :cold:.

:welcome: So happy to have you here! I'm SO excited for you to get to Disney for the first time!!! :goodvibes It will change your life... guaranteed! Oh, I hear ya... I'm in upstate New York and was ecstatic today when the temperature reached 36 - heat wave!!! ;)

You will be there a week before we will! So glad you decided to do a trip report. It is a great way to relive the trip! I totally get enjoying a solo trip. I have never taken one before, but could see the appeal!

You will be there a week before we will! So glad you decided to do a trip report. It is a great way to relive the trip! I totally get enjoying a solo trip. I have never taken one before, but could see the appeal!

Hi Elena and :welcome:! Very happy to have you here! I see that... and that seems to be the trend with my trip dates... I'll just miss many Disers. :sad2: But we can count down to May together at least! That's really the top reason I've decided to do a TR this go-round... I just want to spread out my trip and make it last as long as possible. I totally get what you said in your TR about DWD... ugh!

Tracy, I am here. I'm looking forward to getting to know you as well. I'll be back to catch up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter