I can't get excited about POFQ!

angieand3rs

Mouseketeer
We are leaving in a matter of days for the World. Originally we were staying at AKL, but due to unforeseen circumstances we had to switch to POFQ to save a little money. I am super excited about our trip in general, but I can't seem to care about the resort. I don't know what my deal is, but it just doesn't do it for me! What's wrong with me?

Nothing is wrong with you! This resort does nothing for me either. We have visited it and have stayed when there was Dixie Landing and I have no urge to go to it. Is there another resort that you can switch to that maybe atad more exciting. I think it will be hard since you are coming down from AKL (one of my favorites). Once you get there you will find yourself in the moment that you will not care about this.

you are obviously still yearning of a deluxe lifestyle, as oppose to a moderate one!

but like pp said, once you get there, and all absorbed it the magic, it will be fine.

it actually looks really nice, we wandered around there in august, and have booked for next august-so it better be good?! :rotfl:

disneymayz said:
Nothing is wrong with you! This resort does nothing for me either. We have visited it and have stayed when there was Dixie Landing and I have no urge to go to it. Is there another resort that you can switch to that maybe atad more exciting. I think it will be hard since you are coming down from AKL (one of my favorites). Once you get there you will find yourself in the moment that you will not care about this.

I thought of that... AOA would be about the same, with adding dining (we currently have free dining), but my husband is actually pretty excited about POFQ, so I'm sucking it up! Like you said, it's just hard to come down from AKL, which we loved last year! Maybe it just spoiled me!

dmdelight said:
you are obviously still yearning of a deluxe lifestyle, as oppose to a moderate one!

but like pp said, once you get there, and all absorbed it the magic, it will be fine.

it actually looks really nice, we wandered around there in august, and have booked for next august-so it better be good?! :rotfl:

I'm spoiled is the problem! Haha! Y'all have a very good point, though, when all is said and done we'll be in Disney!

It's simple, if you're not excited about staying at POFQ, then see if you can switch resorts once you get there. I'm sure someone else would love to have your room.

We are owners at AKL so obviously we love it there BUT we also LOVE POFQ! When we bought into DVC our guide couldn't believe that we said we were sad because we would never stay there again. It's romantic and smaller and quieter which can be a nice change of pace from the parks.

We stayed AKL savanna view our first two trips. We didn't have quite those funds for our unexpected 3rd trip so we did CBR pirate room. I read terrible reviews of CBR in general, the beds in pirate rooms, and location of pirate rooms. BUT we had a magical trip :)

Beignets, po-boys, TIW card accepted" which is an exception for a moderate resort,". Boats to downtown Disney, I only wish we could stay there, we tend to stick to the values. You'll love it, and if you are like most people the sort has very little bearing on your vacation, if you live at the parks!

This resort does nothing for me either. We have visited it and have stayed when there was Dixie Landing and I have no urge to go to it.

POR is what used to be Dixie Landings, not POFQ. POFQ used to simply be called Port Orleans.

I love POFQ, I was considering staying somewhere else on my next trip, but decided to stick with what I love.

totally understandable if you were geared up for AKL you would probably feel a little let down about POFQ. Luckily you might find that the boat to DTD, the incredibly short walks and the ambiance is worth it.

We are leaving in a matter of days for the World. Originally we were staying at AKL, but due to unforeseen circumstances we had to switch to POFQ to save a little money. I am super excited about our trip in general, but I can't seem to care about the resort. I don't know what my deal is, but it just doesn't do it for me! What's wrong with me?

Nothing is wrong with you, and I get it! OK, I'm a very "glass half full" kind of person, but I find it helps to have realistic expectations going in, so my post will include both pros and cons. For background, we've stayed in every deluxe except GF and every mod except POR. For the past nine years or so, it's been entirely deluxe. Last spring, I took our youngest son for a few days during Easter week - rack rate, holiday season everywhere and I just didn't like those prices. So I decided to do three nights at POFQ and then switch to YC when the discounts kicked in.

I'd say POFQ is either my favorite mod or even with CSR. I LOVED the small size of the resort - very cozy and wonderful that were so close to the buses, to the food court for refill mugs, to the pool, etc. I also liked the fact that if you want to walk further, POR is just down the path. So while POFQ is small, it's not isolated or too small. The food court was one of the least chaotic resort food courts I've seen. The CMs at the gift shop were wonderful and the selection was great. The grounds were very nice and well-themed. The pool slide was fun for our 5-year-old. The bus service was quite good first thing in the morning to MK (not so good to Epcot in the afternoon for dinner ADRs.) If a deluxe doesn't fit your budget, POFQ is a great choice.

But POFQ was an adjustment after sticking with deluxe resorts exclusively for such a long time. I was thrilled to get to YC at the end of our trip. I think part of the problem was that I read several posts suggesting that POFQ was similar to a deluxe, and some from posters who preferred POFQ to a deluxe. I thought the difference between POFQ and a deluxe was significant. I missed the easy walk from the Epcot deluxes to Epcot and DHS. I missed the quick monorail or boat to MK from the MK area resorts. But if you are used to AKL and buses, that may not be as big of a deal. I missed the balcony we have at deluxe resorts quite a lot - I think that was one of the biggest issues. And I think the difference between the AKL lobby and the POFQ entry is, well, significant.

But I agree with others that the best thing to do is focus on the other aspects of the trip and spend as much time out of the resort as possible. If we're staying somewhere I'm excited about (whether at WDW or elsewhere), then I include that in my focus. If not, I just think about the other things I love. (And if you're thinking about a possible switch, I wonder what the WL rates are like for your stay - those are often really reasonable and not much more than a mod!)

Really hope you have a wonderful trip!

After staying at the Contemporary, I was afraid I would also hate POFQ, but in fact I LOVED it. It was very nice and comfortable. I really liked it it was small and the bus service was phenomenal.

DH and I used to try different resorts for each WDW trip, until we stayed at POFQ. In my opinion, this is one of the best resorts on WDW property. The grounds are gorgeous, the resort is very small, and the boat ride to DTD is a nice perk. I hope you end up being pleasantly surprised when you get to the resort. We will be there on the 10th!!

We love AKL and have been fortunate enough to stay there a couple of times. POFQ is our absolute favorite moderate resort though. We love the smaller size, the boat to DTD, the dedicated bus with only 1 stop, and the food court. The walkway that links POFQ with POR is a lovely walk too. I have to say there isn't one thing I didn't like about the resort. Now that they have queen size beds I'm really excited!

We've only stayed at POFQ, so I can't compare it to any other resort ,but we absolutley loved it. I have read on here people complain because it's so small, but that's what we loved about it. We are debating where to stay next year, but I am almost certain we will end up back there.....But like the other posters have suggested, if it's upsetting you so much, can you change resorts?
Goodluck, I'm sure you will have a fabulous time ;) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!