I Can! I Can Stink at 9am! A January TR - 3/8 New TR Link!

Seems a little odd to me, as I'm not a fan of dining alone, but if it works for your groups, then great! At least you get to have an adult meal and not worry about camouflaging the food.

It was my first time ever eating by myself at a table service like that before and I was a bit apprehensive about it at first, but I would SO do it again. It was relaxing, no one rushing me or bothering me.

Rookie guess!

:rotfl2:

Definitely get her checked out for some hearing aids!

Yep her younger sister (I think 4 or 5 years younger?) has a hearing aid. Yikes!

That's funny your comment about the eggs. I try for the life of me to get a restaurant to cook me eggs that aren't brown and dry, I would love eggs like that. It's almost come to the point that I won't order scrambled eggs out anymore because no one can cook them "easy". The way you are complaining about is just how I cook them at home.

I noticed that both you and PIO enjoy the same eggs. I just can't. Although I like sunnyside up??? :confused3:rotfl: I think when I hear scramble I think well done.

It's really too bad that your DS was not into the character interaction. An expensive breakfast like that is mostly the charge to get some time with the characters and not having to wait in a long line in a hot theme park. At least he knew to say "Bye now!"

:rotfl: Bye there is something he is very good at saying. Now he blows a kiss after he says it. Would have been cute if he did that for Daisy!

You son is just adorable! Love your trip report so far. Your well I can't remember if it's your Mom or his at the moment but she is too cute! Stink..so cute! We have done the Tusker house breakfast a few times and while we do like it I think I would like to enjoy my breakfast more then take pictures! Luckily I think my kids are getting old enough to agree. Can't wait to read more!

Yep, that is my mom:goodvibes You're right about taking pictures though. I wish they would have a PP walk around with the characters so I wouldn't have to ask people at my table to take pictures and disrupt the meal.

You guys are totally adorable, splitting up your dining options. I love that though. No shame in splitting up if you both want different things!

My Mom always preps the coffee maker too every night. Out of habit because my Pop can't go without it.

OMG, the George of the Jungle gif! Dear lord. That's always been one of my favorite parts of that movie.

Yaaaaaasss!! I hope you busted out that Lloyd Christmas dance in Dan's face. :rotfl2:

Awwwwww, he's all like "hell no Donald!"

Disney eggs are my SIL Jeni's nightmare. Her egg order at a restaurant is "well done. No seriously like burn them."

DM and Pop can form a club. However, Pop doesn't hear things because he simply doesn't listen. Not because he's losing his hearing. :laughing:

Totally loved that we split our meals up! I loved it right up until the end :rolleyes1

My favorite part too of George too! When I was writing that part, I knew exactly what GIF I wanted.:rotfl:

That is pretty much my egg order too when I order them and make them at home. Although I love sunnyside up eggs, when my eggs are scrambled, they've gotta be cooked all the way :thumbsup2

Given the other stories about your mom, I was SURE that she thought he said, "Drink at 9am." It even rhymes with stink! :lmao:

Toddler translation: "Go away, please." :sad2:

Awww, sorry the character breakfast didn't go so well! :sad1: I hope he warmed up more as the trip went on. :goodvibes

Character breakfasts are hard to manage. There's so much going on when you're trying to manage a toddler (in general), a meal, and meeting characters, not to mention buffet runs. In June, Lauren and I did all character meals except 'Ohana dinner. I remember that dinner, as we were both like, "Ahhhh, this is so relaxing. Don't have to go to a buffet or watch for characters...just eat." ::yes::

I am DREADING buffets and character meals once Izzy turns 3. Right now, they're not too awful with two of us (or just me and her). But for 3?! :eek:

Nope. And all the existing ones disappeared. I posted about it on the New Board Tech Support forum, but no idea if they're doing anything about it. Annoying. I mean, I can put titles in the posts going forward, but I'd like the old ones back. :headache:

I think 'drink' would have been so much funnier! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

He somewhat warmed up after a bit, but not the way it was on our trip before this one. I was so hoping it would be like that but it wasn't. Oh well. That's why we have DVC, we HAVE to go back at some point:thumbsup2

I wish they would raise the age up to at least 4 for meals. Or maybe have a 'toddler' price that is less than a 'child' price. DS eats about 1 cup of food, not a whole plate.

Thanks for letting me know about the titles. And for all your tips about the new boards! Had no idea you could tag a person in your post until I read your tips. :thumbsup2

Splitting up for dinner so everyone gets what they want sounds like a perfect solution! I have no problems doing things like that. I don't think I'd want to eat alone every night of a trip, but once? Sure! DH still makes fun of me for going to the movies alone to see Saving Mr. Banks. But I had a wonderful date with myself and he missed out :thumbsup2

I was betting on you the whole way re: what time you would check in for your Tusker House ADR!

I'm totally with you on the Disney eggs. I like my scrambled eggs to be dry. I can't stand when they're squishy and liquidy, it grosses me out.

Yay! The story behind your TR title! Complete with hilarious animated gifs of Carl Winslow! :rotfl: Omg that whole story was so funny.

Poor DS and those character interactions. First words: bye there LOL. One day you can tell him this story and laugh. He's still super cute even when he's shutting down the characters.

That juice looks like POG by the way. I'm having Hawaii flashbacks. Yum!!!! :hyper:

I actually think I could eat every night by myself! I'd probably have a few meals at the bar though for some interaction or bring a book (which I actually did but never read it!) or iPad.

Thanks for your support on the bet! :lmao:

Yes! Scrambled eggs means cooked. ::yes::

Yeah, my Animal Kingdom experience has been coming along the same way.

In the past, AK was something that just needed to be done because it was there. But now I look forward to planning our day at AK!

:rotfl2::rotfl2: NOW it makes sense.

Isn't that too funny?! :rotfl:

My wife and I are constantly quoting A Christmas Story: "My mother had not had a hot meal in 15 years...":rotfl:

We say this too! I say it to DH all the time too since he's always forgetting his sriracha or frank's hot sauce so he'll get up, sit down, forget his water, gets up, sits down, forgot his drink in the living room, etc. :lmao:

Yeah, those character meal prices are tough to swallow. Especially given experiences like yours.

And DH will never forget it. I told him where I was on my TR and he's like, 'never again' :rotfl2:

Sorry to hear that DS didn't enjoy the character experience at the Tusker House. The Tusker House looks very interesting to have a character meal but I don't do that too often when I go to the Disney Parks or Resorts

Yep, we never do Character meals. I think it's our 2nd character meal ever at WDW. First time was when it was just DH and me at Cape May in 2010, but we had a lot of fun.

Hi Lesha...joining in! I'm so excited for you to stay at the VGF, what an experience!

I think the character breakfasts are a hard pill to swallow price-wise unless you have some really amazing character interaction. I agree that trying it when DS is older would probably be a good idea. Not really getting to eat much AND not having him love it, makes $100 a steep price tag!

Hi and Welcome!:welcome:

I'm so glad we made no other character meals for the trip. I was really considering adding another one towards the end. Phew!

Alicia, I am back and catching up (I finally finished my TR from September and am trying to catch up on a few threads before I do the first update to my PTR (link in my signature if you'd care to join)).

I love when us girls win when the guys think they know everything. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Unfortunately, all of the characters meals at Disney are so expensive. And I'm sure they feel even more so when our young ones don't enjoy it (we had a similar experience at Crystal Palace in September with DIS friends whose youngest child screamed every time a character came near by). And it's so hard to eat when the characters come one after another.

Sorry that DS wasn't into the characters. It can be so hit or miss with the little ones.

I hope you will try another character meal. We were, unfortunately, very disappointed in Tusker House in June (our third visit) and have put it on the backburner for awhile. Our favorite is Crystal Palace, but I do want to go back to TH some time.

Totally joined your PTR :hyper:

Oh my gosh, this happens again later in the trip, but it's for an actual game and DH loses and is not happy about it. Don't worry, I got a picture of his losing face:rotfl:

Crystal Palace is one I really wanted to do this trip but i'm so glad I didn't book it. Probably would have been a disaster.

Enjoying your TR so far!! My kids are a bit older now but I remember fondly (and not so fondly) the days of flying with toddlers...sigh...

I couldn't imagine having a child that cried and screamed the entire flight! There was a baby that was like that on one of our flights home and I just felt awful for the parents.

Yay for winning that bet! My family always gives me a hard time about leaving early to get places on time....and I'm usually right lol. Love the pictures of your DS with the characters...even though he didn't love it...you will love having those pics later...and you can tease him about it when he is 12 and giving you attitude :) That is a bit outrageous for breakfast though...the cost I mean...but it's Disney...sigh.

Of course we're right! Us women have a better grip on time :thumbsup2

Oh you bet i'll be showing him his 'cry baby' pictures when he's older! :rotfl2:

I hope your son will warm up to the characters more for you. It was cute that his first words to them were bye there.

I kept trying to figure out where you came out with the title of your TR and now I know. Needless to say I would not have guests the reason. I am sure all of you got a good laugh the rest of the trip over the replacement of "sleep" for "stink".

I hope you enjoyed sanna and your DH,DM, and DS enjoyed bona.

It was so funny when he said it, at least he said something to a character :rotfl:

I knew immediately as soon as that came out of DM's mouth that that was going to be the title for this TR. Thanks mom! :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 The stink story!

DH and I have had that exact same conversation though at both DLR and WDW (minus someone mistakenly hearing the word "sleep" :rotfl:). We decided that people must wear old sweaty clothes. They might have showered that morning and not gotten a chance to sweat yet, but their clothes have yesterday's/last week's/last year's sweat on it :scared::crazy2:

:rotfl: :lmao: That is funny!

Hahahaha your gifs are always so perfect! :rotfl:

Never question a DIS-ers time-management at WDW!!! We know what we're doing :thumbsup2

And this picture of Calvin is just so good!! What a funny little guy :rotfl:

Awww he was NOT interested in the characters at Tusker House :lmao: Bless his little heart!

LOVE the reveal of the TR name! That is too funny! And that gif made me literally LOL :rotfl:

This photo is also BRILLIANT. You should get this one printed out and framed :laughing:

Great updates!

He should have known not to place a bet with me. We're always doing that at home and he always loses. I guess he'll never understand that i'm always right!

Nope, not having the characters at all! Which is too bad because he loves seeing the character interactions on Youtube. But he loved seeing other kids at other tables going up and seeing the characters, just didn't like the characters coming to him.

The Carl Winslow gif was exactly what I was doing at the table :rotfl2:

Can you imagine if I made like an 10 X 20 and placed it right over the mantle in our living room?! :rotfl:

Lovin' your update and what a fab idea to split up dinner. I'd never thought of that.

Sorry your son wasnt having any of the characters this morning. Maybe they were stinking at 9am too ; ) but I'm right there with ya on the bribes for eating. Mine is getting ready to turn 4 and it still works.

I had never thought of splitting up our meals before either and it worked out great!

:rotfl2: I bet if they smelled like bacon, DS would have really liked them!

Hello! :wave2: I've lurked my way through several of your previous reports, so I figured I might as well officially join in and start commenting!

I love that your mom joins you on your WDW vacations - I know her first trip with you was such a big deal due to her aversion to flying. It's amazing what grandkids can do!

Your room at the VGF was STUNNING! :faint: The Grand Floridian has never been my favorite resort style-wise, but they really knocked it out of the park with their design of the villas. (Also, I love your Great Muppet Caper title reference! I love that movie!)

Dinner at Raglan Road is on the "must-do" list for our next trip. I'd love to try the Scallop Forrest and the bread pudding. Nice work on adding "extras" to your son's fries! :thumbsup2

I'm sorry your breakfast at Tusker House wasn't all you'd hoped for! It may be better in the future when your son is more excited for (rather than terrified of) the characters. I love the Tusker House breakfast, but agree that it has a crazy price tag. :crazy2:

:lmao:Your mom's comment was hysterical! I was wondering where your trip report title came from!

I look forward to reading more!

Yay thanks for joining in! :welcome:

Absolutely! When my Dad was alive, he couldn't ever get her on a plane! No amount of bribing or begging would do. But then comes along my DS and a trip to WDW. She was hesitant for the longest time but couldn't bear to be without seeing DS for a week, so sucked it up:rotfl2:

Aw, I love any and all Muppet movies (except for maybe Muppets in Space, that was just awful:lmao:) but the GF was absolutely amazing! Was so awesome to be able to stay there for our entire trip.

I would definitely recommend Raglan Road! Especially if you can get a table in the main room where the dancers are. Do not pass up the bread pudding no matter how full you are. Trust me, it will be worth it!

That was a funny story about the misunderstanding of "stink" as "sleep"! Your DM sounds like a character! :lmao:

I am not a fan of all of the character breakfast offerings, but I definitely like the character breakfast at 1900 Park Faire! My favorite part is the strawberry soup!! I could subsist entirely on that; :thumbsup2 unfortunately, I don't think it contains all 4 food groups...

My DM is a total character! But DS seems to like her, maybe she should have dressed up as Mickey, we would have gotten a better reaction out of DS :rotfl2:

I don't think i've ever tried the strawberry soup but everyone on the boards seem to just love it!!

Hi there Alicia! It's great to read along with your TR. I've missed catching up with your adventures from your trip. The good news jumping in late is I didn't have to wait long for your hilarious explanation of your TR title!! I'm not going to say that I may need a hearing aid so much as I don't pay attention sometimes when my kids or hubby say something. Yeah, let's go with that.

I adore your 1 bedroom room at VGF!! I could live there! We booked that room type last trip but they had a maintenance issue with the room and had to bounce us to a 2 bedroom suite in the main building. I wasn't completely ungrateful for the fabulous upgrade but I really wanted to stay in a 1 bedroom since we've stayed in a studio at the VGF.

The only thing better than meeting Danielle is getting some fabulous Packer swag with the meet and greet! (Go Pack!) How awesome that you were able to meet.

Totally the same as you when it comes to listening to DH! Or rather, not listen:rotfl:

Uh, I think i'd take that upgrade to stay in the main building :hyper:

Danielle was so much fun and so was her mom. We had such a fun time talking and the Packer swag was just the cherry on top!

I got quite a few updates behind so here goes:

I love that big Christmas tree at the GF, it is so big and just beautiful.

I also love Raglan Road, it is one of my favourite places to eat at Disney. My daughters do a few different dance lessons and whilst tap is my least favourite of what they do, I love watching the Irish dancers in there. They are so good and their feet just move so fast! :worship:

What a good two meets you had. :)

Your 1-bed looks amazing. So lucky you were able to get all 7 nights there. The kitchen looks so good that you 'almost' want to cook!

And now we know why your TR has the name it does! There are many amusing stories when people don't hear properly! :D

Poor Calvin at Tusker House, he looks so unhappy, bless him.

Looking forward to more and how your separate dinners work out.

I always wanted to take Tap dance when I was little but it was a choice between Tap and Ballet and I always chose ballet. Would it be weird to take lessons now as a 30 year old?!:rotfl2:

:rotfl: Exactly! The kitchen was really nice! The fridge was my favorite part of the kitchen.

Saturday, January 3, 2015 - Animal Kingdom

"Run DS, momma needs her vodka!"

After our less than stellar breakfast at Tusker house, I was in desperate need of alcohol. But we had a FP for Kilamanjaro Safaris, so my alcohol would have to wait. On the way to KS, I did ask a CM where I could find the bar that serves the Bloody Mary’s and he pointed me back in front of Tusker House. I asked if they did stop serving them at 11 and he thought they were served all day but to just get one now. I said we had a FP for KS and it was now close to 10. He told me, “As soon as KS is over, run for it!” :lmao::thumbsup2 Great advice.

We got in line for KS and had to wait maybe 10 minutes. DH is either mad about losing the time bet or still not over the price of breakfast. I'm gonna say that latter.

Eventually, we were Safari bound

And all I could think of was what Bloody Mary I was about to order

Look! Look at all the pointing fingers!

We would move DS between DM and DH somewhat often and we knew he’d be excited about the Giraffes

I’m always excited to see what the lions are doing. There was really only one time where the lions were active and that was on our very first trip in 2008, where the lion was actually talking. Here’s the video from 2008…Caught the tail end of it (tail? lion?? Anyone?)

Today, lots of sleeping. Which is what I usually see

And he liked the zebras.

DS totally loved how bumpy the ride was and really enjoyed seeing all the different animals that he’s been reading about in books come to life. Pretty cool!

After the ride was over, we did exactly what the CM told me to. Run! "Run DS, momma needs her vodka!"

It was 10:41 and I made it!

I went with the Dawa Bloody Mary

Excellent! Not too spicy, but the saltiness of the prosciutto was seeping into my drink making it delicious.

And the olive. Amazing! Just perfect.

continued in next post

Last edited:
:thumbsup2 for getting your Bloody Mary! I did not even know they sold those. :rotfl: Guess when we will get to AK (which sadly will not happen during our March/April trip) I need to do more research! ;)

Great animal photos and so happy to hear that Calvin enjoyed his safari!

continued from previous post

FotLK and EE

It was nearing 11am and we still didn’t have anything planned until our FP for EE at 11:55am. Considering we were very close to the FotLK theater and there was a showing at 11, we thought why not?

Ten minutes later, we got a seat right on an outside bench

Even though it was only ten minutes till showtime, it felt like hours trying to contain DS to one spot, so we did our best to entertain him…by giving him the park map and entertainment schedule.

That lasted for 10 seconds until he threw it on the people in front of us.

Next best idea. Selfies or ‘wesies’ as termed by Danielle. DS thinks it's so funny to see himself in my phone

My bloody mary was trying to make it into the picture too!

Aw, Mother Daughter picture. Looks like she just wants to get the picture over with:rotfl:Aw, the love.

And then finally, FINALLY the show started :worship: And DS was totally into it

And we ended up being DS’s favorite animal for the show:

It was actually his first animal sound he ever learned to do

I took no photos of FotLK, but just like the last time in 2013 when DM, DS and I watched this (DH was watching the Packers and getting tipsy at the Rainforest Café :thumbsup2), DS got a high five from one of the tumble monkeys. :love:

After the great show in their new theater, it was almost time for EE! But first, let us take a we-sie

We got there right at the start of our FP time and me, being the kind, unselfish person that I am, decided to sit out first. WDW makes me like this. Or the liquor. Whatevs

I took DS over to watch the coasters come down the mountain and we played a little counting game, counting the amount of time in between coasters. That got boring quick. And then I saw a lonely PP photographer in our area and asked to take our picture and she was very happy to do it

I always forget to take my glasses off!

They were gone less than 10 minutes and found me right away and it was my turn! DH was the lucky one to get to go a second time.

With my thizz face and his serious face, we knew we were going to conquer the Yeti. It’s a deadly combo

I took some video on the ride going backwards. And I’m probably the only person that has ever noticed the bird in the upper left corner

" frameborder="0

Boring ride photo down here

Last edited:

Frozen Goodness and Dinosaur

After EE, it was time to take DS to an area I’ve been dying for him to check out, ever since he was a baby. The Boneyard!

This area had a lot of slides and he loved it!

" frameborder="0

But oh my gosh, was it hot! And DS was sweating up a storm running all over

I did one big tube slide with DS and made DH take him on a bigger slide. DH had some issues coming down and out.

We threw in the towel after 20 minutes. Too dang hot, lots of kids. But DS had a good time and it will be even more fun for him later when he’s able to climb the rope ladders and do the bridges. Because it was so hot we needed something to cool us down.

And this was the first time DS had his own little bowl of ice cream all to himself and he was in heaven

What happens after you expel tons of energy and eat lots of sugar?

Crash of course!

And his nap couldn’t have come at a better time since our FP for Dinosaur was up! DM and I went up first and we met Dr. Grant Seeker, also known as, One Heck of a Palentologist

This picture cracks me up. What is DM looking at? :rotfl2: Unlike IheartDDuck , who is known to look opposite the camera on purpose to make the picture funny, DM had absolutely no idea what she was looking for or at. As for me, I found the camera

DH and I were up next

We deserve an Oscar

Last edited:
"After our less than stellar breakfast at Tusker house, I was in desperate need of alcohol." :rotfl2: I like the way you think Alicia.

Hmmmmm, it looks like that hipppo may have enjoyed a beverage that morning as well. :scratchin

I do remember my first safari and just being in awe seeing all these animals. Yes, you can see many in a zoo but since this is Nahtazu, it just feels more real to me.

Ugh, Festival of the Lion King. Soooooo gooooooood.

I think I need to get a rider swap sometime JUST because it looks like an old fashioned FP. :love:

WOW. OK, you REALLY found the camera on Dino. THAT is impressive.

"We deserve an Oscar"

Yeah you do!

oscar.gif

Great uupdates. Cant wait to see where you were 1/4. 1/3 is the day we arrived. DS is so cute

We got there right at the start of our FP time and me, being the kind, unselfish person that I am, decided to sit out first. WDW makes me like this. Or the liquor. Whatevs

Whatever works! I was very giving after our margarita stop at Epcot!

We loved the Boneyard too but it was hot and overwhelming. I really liked the dig site. Shady and a little calmer!

Glad DS enjoyed FOTLK. My youngest son was not at all impressed and I kept trying to yell out the animal names to keep him entertained. No luck!

Great Dinosaur pics!

Your pictures from Tusker House are so cute! I have always wanted to try that character breakfast - looks like so much fun!

Love the pics from Dinosaur as well, have never ridden it before but your pictures may be inspiring me to try it this Spring! :thumbsup2

Ahh, a Bloody Mary mama after my own heart. I learned the heard way last trip that they stopped serving them way too early. Not gonna let that happen next trip, not gonna do it. And now I know I can take it into FOTLK too, bonus.

Love your EE picture. You look totally bored. Of course the same can't be said for Dinosaur.

Glad you got to try out the boneyard. My daughter is obsessed with it, so we end up there for at least an hour. Though I'm adamant they need to build another dawa bar inside for parents.

Love your pics on Dinosaur!! So funny! We had the exact same experience at Boneyard a few years ago when our kids were little...too hot and busy. But the kids loved it. Glad he got a nap in too!!

There are tons of websites that you can find gifs like giphy, awesomegifs, and reactiongifs (all with .com after). They are some great ones out there! And some not so good ones like that creepy girl I put in that you didn't like :lmao: Sorry about that:goodvibes

Thank you for this, I had no idea! That girl looked possessed, absolutely terrifying!

Pam, it is a big deal! :headache: :lmao: I know one day he'll like the characters, we'll just have to do the meets in the parks so if we have to make a quick exit, it will be easier.

:laughing: hopefully one day he'll like them again :)

By hanging out with us for many hours, you know what i'm dealing with with DH :rolleyes1:rotfl2:
He should have learned by now about your Disney wisdom!

I LOVE the picture of the sleeping hippo! Oh my goodness, could that hippo be any cuter!!!!! and the giraffe pictures are fabulous!

Your Dinosaur pictures are too funny. What in the world WAS your mom looking at??? And so intently too.

Awesome Dinosaur pictures! I'll have to figure out where the camera is so I'm not looking away.

That ice cream pic with DH, still looks like he's thinking about that bill.

You got some GREAT pictures on your safari! I especially love your photos of the hippo and the giraffes! :thumbsup2

Mmm... a Bloody Mary. :drinking1

Your pictures on Dinosaur are AWESOME! I especially love the one of you and your DH. (No, you've never been on that ride before! :laughing:)

Two thumbs up for the Bloody Mary! Are they at that little bar in front of the restaurant? Do they really only sell them until 11am? They will definitely be on our list for May!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter