I am so upset. Someone threatened to hit my husband at the Soarin line and Disney did nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

atp

Mouseketeer
We were in line for soarin shortly after 9 am and some guy starts walking past everyone in line. My husband mentions to him that there is a line and the guy jumps towards my husband immediately, right in his face and would have knocked him over if my husband had not step back. Then the guy steps back to scream that dh doesn't know what the guy is doing or what his business is or whatever and again jumps towards Dh and threatens him. I tell him that I'm going to get security and the guy says to go ahead that he'll wait right there. I run to get a cast member but of course the guy is long gone. They ask IF want security and we say yes. Luckily a really nice man in line helped us from the Start, that was the only positive thing.

Long story short, Disney let the guy go, kept us for nearly 3 hours trying to gently sway us into not pressing charges. Then the park manager asked us what we wanted to make up for our trouble and kept us waiting to check on our choices each time, only to tell us that the only thing he could give us was one of our minor suggestions of fp to MK. Initially he even wanted us to pick a ride, but then agreed to give an open one, which we are supposed to pick up at mk later. Im not even sure we will get it. The cm s at soarin were very nice though and immediately offered us to go back on the ride since we had to leave the line to find the guy, and a couple of fp for epcot, for today.

The guy was allegedly talked to by security and law enforcement and was free to enjoy the rest of his Park rage and line cutting for the day.

That's some Disney magic for ya.

As much as I hate that your magic was ruined, I'm not sure what Disney could have done really? He didn't actually hit your husband so it wasn't necessarily assault. Disney offered you fastpasses to make up for a guest being rude which is something they absolutely couldnt control. I guess I'm not sure what exactly you were expecting?

About a month or so ago, there was an altercation in the Test Track queue. It was caught on video and punches and everything were thrown. No charges were filed, no one got kicked out... basically nothing happened.

I'm sure this scenario of yours happens all to often. I know I'm a confronter when it comes to line hopping. I've waited my time and they can wait theirs.

If I were you, I would've pressed charges. If Disney isn't going to do anything, then you should!

ETA: Why would you be held for 3 hours being coerced into not pressing charges if nothing more than threats and a lunge happened?

What kind of charges can you press? He didn't actually do anything besides yell and invade your husbands personal space.

It sucks, no doubt. Hope the rest of your vacation is better.

Well, the OP did state that she went to get security.... Did something actually happen while she was getting a CM that we're not being told? Why else would law enforcement need to be involved? I'm starting to think we aren't getting the whole story.

Well, the OP did state that she went to get security.... Did something actually happen while she was getting a CM that we're not being told? Why else would law enforcement need to be involved? I'm starting to think we aren't getting the whole story.

I don't know. But if something happened further I'd think the OP would've mentioned it to help back up their feelings.

That's awful so sorry you had to deal with that guy. This is why I don't confront people, some folks are nuts (not saying your DH did anything wrong) Sounds like Guest Services was a little stingy with the FP. Why were you there for three hours, I think I would have been more angry at that! If you are still on your trip hope the rest of it goes smoothly.

I don't know. But if something happened further I'd think the OP would've mentioned it to help back up their feelings.

Like I said prior, the fight caught on video in the TT queue had pretty much no consequences to it, so that's what makes me wonder why law enforcement got called in. Either way, the OP just needs to either accept or not what Disney is doing for them and move on with their vacation.

What kind of charges can you press? He didn't actually do anything besides yell and invade your husbands personal space.

In Florida, any threat that leads to a person's fear of imminent harm is considered assault. I'm not an attorney but I would imagine the OP's DH could have pressed charges based on that. If actual contact was made that would then become battery. Again, not an attorney, but I did glance at the statutes online and that seems to be the gist of the differences between the two.

In Florida, any threat that leads to a person's fear of imminent harm is considered assault. I'm not an attorney but I would imagine the OP's DH could have pressed charges based on that. If actual contact was made that would then become battery. Again, not an attorney, but I did glance at the statutes online and that seems to be the gist of the differences between the two.

Well we also know Florida has a stand-your-ground law, the husband probably could have thrown a punch with no worries about legal ramifications.

Disney asked if we wanted law enforcement, law enforcement said we could press charges and that if I didn't the guy would remain in the park. Disney implied the guy would be out regardless. We waited almost 3 hours becausewe had to help them find the guy, wait for security, wait for law enforcement, wait for the manager, talk to each of them, provide names, addresses, documents, etc. Then the park manager ASKED us what he could do, anything, that he wanted to make it right for us. I wish he hadn't asked, and instead just offered a fp or nothing at all.

Most of all we wanted the other guy to face some kind of consequence because the only reason he did not actually hit my husband, only shoved him, was because my husband stepped back. He also only stopped coming back at my husband when I said I was getting security.

Really? Seems like a funky law. I can only giggle at some of the things people would feel threatened by.

That is the law in almost every state. Assault is a threat- battery is physical contact. OP could have pressed charges. I would have asked for unlimited FP+ for the rest of your stay to make up for the three hours you lost- and your trouble. I, too, like a PP am a 'confronter'- someone tries to jump in line- they will hear about it. Good for your husband for speaking up, but sorry this happened.

Disney asked if we wanted law enforcement, law enforcement said we could press charges and that if I didn't the guy would remain in the park. Disney implied the guy would be out regardless. We waited almost 3 hours becausewe had to help them find the guy, wait for security, wait for law enforcement, wait for the manager, talk to each of them, provide names, addresses, documents, etc. Then the park manager ASKED us what he could do, anything, that he wanted to make it right for us. I wish he hadn't asked, and instead just offered a fp or nothing at all.

Most of all we wanted the other guy to face some kind of consequence because the only reason he did not actually hit my husband, only shoved him, was because my husband stepped back. He also only stopped coming back at my husband when I said I was getting security.

You didn't mention the shoving in your first post.

Ok, so there WAS contact? You failed to mention that in your original post that your husband was shoved.

That is the law in almost every state. Assault is a threat- battery is physical contact. OP could have pressed charges.

I kind of figured that was the case. It really stinks that this happened to them and I'm sure it's difficult to move on from a truly troubling situation like that. I don't think there is anything Disney could have possibly said to me to stop me from pressing charges if I truly felt physically threatened or intimidated by a guest.

They should have a least told the guy he was done for the day. I guess they do tell you to fill all available space at Soarin so he wasn't actually skipping but no need to get angry and start shoving over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter