I am frickin' nervous...

Amirah95

Best! Day! Everrrrrrr!
...in a couple of months I'll be planning an on-site WDW vacation for the first time.

In May 2014, for the first time EVER, my DH and my DD17 will not be going to WDW. It will be just DD5 and I and I am super nervous about it. :worried: DH will be starting a new job and knows now he won't be able to take off at that time and my DD17 will be a college student and cannot be bothered with us little people. DH is the one who normally takes care of the driving and getting my plans off the ground.

We're not the type of family to fly or stay on-site (normally), but because I am scary like that and DH said no to me, driving from NJ to get to WDW so DD who will be 6 and I will be flying (I've flown before, but not DD). We will also be staying on-site for the first time EVER and that worries me too. I've never planned an on-site WDW vacation EVER. Ever is my fave word right now.

I pulled some pages from my Passporter (which I'd normally archive right away because I wouldn't need any of it) to add back into my deluxe binder to help with my planning and I've been going through threads for those who have stayed at Caribbean Beach with a little one. I chose Caribbean Beach because it's a moderate and because of how it looks to be honest...the pool areas will attract my DD5 like no other and the room is bright and I really like the Finding Nemo theme. I don't have enough to budget for a monorail hotel or other deluxes so CB it is.

I will be getting a rental car so we can move around the Disney freely because I do bus at home to get to work and will not do it on vacation so that's one thing that I can handle without being worried. If we were at a monorail hotel, I will admit that I could skip the rental car.

Planning for attractions and shows is going to be quite different because my DD17 and DH are not going...I think I'm going to go for everything my DD5 may want to do with the hope that it will all be enough that it will fill up our days.

I am not sure about my DD5 and adding on a meal plan option either because her eating habits are crazy at this point...sometimes she'll eat this and sometimes she won't or drop it all together and then she doesn't want to eat at all and skips lunch altogether...it's a mess right now and I'm hoping she'll change to "normal" eating habits by next year , but who knows with that kid.

For the first time we'll also be eating all of our meals out so that crashes into my budget as well. I am used to villas with full kitchens so planning meals out, though sounds simple for the two of us, really isn't because my LO is picky. I plan on going off-site to pick up a few things like apples, tomatoes, bananas and carrots to have in the room...these are the things my DD5 likes to eat the most normally. I will take a few of these items out with us on park days, no doubt. I'm sure she'll go for Mickey Bars and stuff like that so no issues with snacking.

Lastly, I have to be at WDW for Star Wars Weekend and the end of the Flower & Garden Festival so I can't skip going altogether. DH will be back on board for MNSSHP so it's back to normal after.

Yes, I am a big girl and a Mom so I'm going to do it. Any tips for first time on-siters with a little one will be helpful. I just needed to come on here and vent a little. It feels kinda odd not being a "roadtripping family" for once. Oh and the extra money I'll be spending too...woo wee. I hope this vacation will not take the "roadtrip" out of me :snooty:...yes, I have already been warned. :rotfl: :tink:

Sorry for this being so long. Thanks to all who read this and finish it! Thanks! :upsidedow

For starters, why are you so nervous? :confused3 Sounds like a piece of cake to me. A 5 year old is not a baby, easily handled by one parent away from home. Just relax, and enjoy! ;) If I were as stressed as you about the trip, I doubt I would have ever planned it - just saying my opinion. :goodvibes

Hey there,

We are regular on-siters, and been a while since we stayed off-site.
I am not sure why you are so nervous at the idea of staying on-site. It is not more difficult, in fact easier. If it is just you and your 5-year old especially I would say REEEELAAAAAXXXXX! Little kids don't care about fancy restaurants or getting the most out of their budget. They want to have fun at the pool and go on some rides and probably happy to get alone time with mom.

I wouldn't worry about doing the DDP or sit-down meals unless you want to hit a character meal here or there. The DDP is no longer the bargain it once was, you are probably better off getting a room discount if you can. There is plenty of good on-site QS places if you learn where to look.

However, realize staying on-site can be very expensive food-wise. Since you plan on having a car, it might not be a bad idea to run off-site and get some snacks/breakfast foods for your room. The mods all have small fridges, so you have a place to keep things cold.

We stayed at CBR last trip and are planning on returning this fall, and this is a GREAT resort with little ones. I suggest looking at a map of the resort, and if you don't want to pay the upgrade for a prefferred room that you make a room request - or more specifically a building request with your booking. I recommend Buildings 44,45 and 46 as a request. The resort is very spread out and you can end up a pretty long way from the center. Each section has their own pool, but the main pool is pretty cool and also has a splash area exclusive to < 48" kids (DD was too tall at 8 years old). Give yourself at least a day to just enjoy the resort if you can. If your DD is a bit adventurous they do a Pirate's Adventure Cruise on Tues, Fri, Sun @ 10 AM. This is kids only for about 2 hours and our DD8 LOVED it. They sail around the Cay searching for Pirate treasure. Plus it gives mom 2 hours of hammock time! They also have activities at the main pool all day with games and dance contests, a marshmallow roast each night, and in the evening movies on a big inflatable screen.

I realize you have a car and don't want to take the bus, but I would recommend the bus to MK. They drop off almost at the front entrance, as opposed to having to park in the parking lot, tram to the front of the lot, then Monorail or Boat to MK. CBR is also VERY close to Hollywood Studios, so the bus might not be bad their either. Take the car for AK, DTD (especially) or Epcot. I also wouldn't use your car if you are going to resort hop. (This is from someone who loves NOT driving at WDW.)

Finally - watch out - staying on-site can be highly addicting. Take it from a family who knows.

Hello to a fellow NJ person. :wave2: Don't be nervous at all. I am the planner in our house and DH takes the back seat.

We do use the Magical express our hotel and airport as well as the Disney buses to parks. We pick up fruit at the stands in all the parks, but only you know if the car option is worth it.

I create a spread sheet with excel adding the days I be there and fill in extra magic hours and park hours to determine which parks to hit. Normally we go early in the morning, leave the parks by noon..go to pools to relax and back to the parks at night.

Remember to keep breathing and just take one step at a time. You will be spending a treasured time with your DD and really cannot go wrong with whatever you plan.

I think onsite is way better. Staying at a disney hotel compared to an offsite is different. There is a level of disney magic and hospitality that you get at an onsite that you can not get anywhere else. Be it a value resort or a deluxe. I think you will find this out for yourself. I would also ditch the rental car and save the money. The disney transportation system is better then you think. Especially if there are only two of you. You can also use the magical express to and from the airport. Caribbean beach is nice. My favorite Mod. If you want to be close to the food court and main pool I would get a preferred room. But the walk isnt bad either. At least I dont think so.

For starters, why are you so nervous? :confused3 Sounds like a piece of cake to me. A 5 year old is not a baby, easily handled by one parent away from home. Just relax, and enjoy! ;) If I were as stressed as you about the trip, I doubt I would have ever planned it - just saying my opinion. :goodvibes

I've never stayed on-site before, I'm a newbie all over again, it's expensive and I'm having it at w/o my DH. I have to change up my approach.

Hey there,

We are regular on-siters, and been a while since we stayed off-site.
I am not sure why you are so nervous at the idea of staying on-site. It is not more difficult, in fact easier. If it is just you and your 5-year old especially I would say REEEELAAAAAXXXXX! Little kids don't care about fancy restaurants or getting the most out of their budget. They want to have fun at the pool and go on some rides and probably happy to get alone time with mom.

I wouldn't worry about doing the DDP or sit-down meals unless you want to hit a character meal here or there. The DDP is no longer the bargain it once was, you are probably better off getting a room discount if you can. There is plenty of good on-site QS places if you learn where to look.

However, realize staying on-site can be very expensive food-wise. Since you plan on having a car, it might not be a bad idea to run off-site and get some snacks/breakfast foods for your room. The mods all have small fridges, so you have a place to keep things cold.

We stayed at CBR last trip and are planning on returning this fall, and this is a GREAT resort with little ones. I suggest looking at a map of the resort, and if you don't want to pay the upgrade for a prefferred room that you make a room request - or more specifically a building request with your booking. I recommend Buildings 44,45 and 46 as a request. The resort is very spread out and you can end up a pretty long way from the center. Each section has their own pool, but the main pool is pretty cool and also has a splash area exclusive to < 48" kids (DD was too tall at 8 years old). Give yourself at least a day to just enjoy the resort if you can. If your DD is a bit adventurous they do a Pirate's Adventure Cruise on Tues, Fri, Sun @ 10 AM. This is kids only for about 2 hours and our DD8 LOVED it. They sail around the Cay searching for Pirate treasure. Plus it gives mom 2 hours of hammock time! They also have activities at the main pool all day with games and dance contests, a marshmallow roast each night, and in the evening movies on a big inflatable screen.

I realize you have a car and don't want to take the bus, but I would recommend the bus to MK. They drop off almost at the front entrance, as opposed to having to park in the parking lot, tram to the front of the lot, then Monorail or Boat to MK. CBR is also VERY close to Hollywood Studios, so the bus might not be bad their either. Take the car for AK, DTD (especially) or Epcot. I also wouldn't use your car if you are going to resort hop. (This is from someone who loves NOT driving at WDW.)

Finally - watch out - staying on-site can be highly addicting. Take it from a family who knows.

Thanks!!! Great tips! I didn't even learn about the pirate cruise or what buildings to get into. How do I go about getting a room discount? Is it possible in the month of May?

Hello to a fellow NJ person. :wave2: Don't be nervous at all. I am the planner in our house and DH takes the back seat.

We do use the Magical express our hotel and airport as well as the Disney buses to parks. We pick up fruit at the stands in all the parks, but only you know if the car option is worth it.

I create a spread sheet with excel adding the days I be there and fill in extra magic hours and park hours to determine which parks to hit. Normally we go early in the morning, leave the parks by noon..go to pools to relax and back to the parks at night.

Remember to keep breathing and just take one step at a time. You will be spending a treasured time with your DD and really cannot go wrong with whatever you plan.

You guys got me thinking about not getting a rental now. It would be nice to allocate that money some where else, but I'll have to look into that. So EMH is ok do for on-siters, yeah? I know that off-siter park commandos avoid it like the plague.

I think onsite is way better. Staying at a disney hotel compared to an offsite is different. There is a level of disney magic and hospitality that you get at an onsite that you can not get anywhere else. Be it a value resort or a deluxe. I think you will find this out for yourself. I would also ditch the rental car and save the money. The disney transportation system is better then you think. Especially if there are only two of you. You can also use the magical express to and from the airport. Caribbean beach is nice. My favorite Mod. If you want to be close to the food court and main pool I would get a preferred room. But the walk isnt bad either. At least I dont think so.

That's another thing I'm afraid of. :goodvibes

I have planned more trips alone as long as I can remember...I am in the midst of planning a trip for August with 2 of my friends..For one thing, I wouldn't want to rent a car...as I prefer Disney's transportation all around. They are efficient and they haven't failed me as of yet:) You know ahead of time, to sit with your little one and discuss what she would like to do. That is the fun for both of you:) Also, last August I stayed at AOA in Finding Nemo and it was so much better than my stay at CB...but, that is my opinion...above all, relax, read, and enjoy this planning time..expect Pixie Dust and you will get it...pixiedust: pixiedust:

I've never stayed on-site before, I'm a newbie all over again, it's expensive and I'm having it at w/o my DH. I have to change up my approach.

Thanks!!! Great tips! I didn't even learn about the pirate cruise or what buildings to get into. How do I go about getting a room discount? Is it possible in the month of May?

You guys got me thinking about not getting a rental now. It would be nice to allocate that money some where else, but I'll have to look into that. So EMH is ok do for on-siters, yeah? I know that off-siter park commandos avoid it like the plague.

They avoid it because they don't get the benefit so when they get there after or before its crowded. Morning emhs can allow you to get so much done and out for a pool break in the afternoon. Evening hours are great for riding the big rides with little to no wait but may not work for you depending on your Los schedule.

It will be so easy and fun. 5 or 6 is the BEST age and I love spending time alone with my DS6 at WDW. On site is the only way to go. So easy and I have never felt unsafe there. We use the bus 100% of the time...no issues. Remember that your budget will be much easier with only one adult and one child. I would not do the DDP as DS6 and I almost always share anyway. Maybe plan one or two TS and plan the rest by ear and eat CS. Do lots of fun girl stuff!

I don't know about specific dates, but their usually is a room discount for portions of May. Here's the best source for historical discounts. I would expect May 2014 discounts to be out around Jan 1st of next year. You should be able to get 20% room rate at a mod - pretty typical discount.

http://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/

You are worried about something which might happen a YEAR from now? Calm down, traveling alone with a 6 year old to WDW is no big deal.

It will be so easy and fun. 5 or 6 is the BEST age and I love spending time alone with my DS6 at WDW. On site is the only way to go. So easy and I have never felt unsafe there. We use the bus 100% of the time...no issues. Remember that your budget will be much easier with only one adult and one child. I would not do the DDP as DS6 and I almost always share anyway. Maybe plan one or two TS and plan the rest by ear and eat CS. Do lots of fun girl stuff!

Sharing meals will be a must since my DD5 eats a little bit w/o being distracted, eats nothing when distracted and finishes nothing. Thanks for the tips! :goodvibes

I don't know about specific dates, but their usually is a room discount for portions of May. Here's the best source for historical discounts. I would expect May 2014 discounts to be out around Jan 1st of next year. You should be able to get 20% room rate at a mod - pretty typical discount.

http://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/

Finally a reason to use Mousesavers. Forgot all about that. Thanks a million!! :goodvibes

Hi from NJ too!!

I think you are stressing yourself over nothing!!

Took my 3 last year without their father for a week. I had planned on doing it again this June but my hubby decided to go. It really isn't that bad. :goodvibes

and to just have one to look after and not three?? That would be a vacation :hyper:

Just Relax, It will be the time of your life and something your DD5 will never forget. I would really take into consideration staying at AoA on this trip since you won't have DH or DD17. I would ditch the rental and use the buses. Goodluck and have fun!!

Oh you are going to have just the BEST time! On site is SOOOO easy! I would take all three of mine by myself and stay on site! You park the car (we drive down from NC) and never have to use it again!! Disney transportation is safe and reliable. yes, you have to wait for busses at times, but there is no forgetting where you parked the car (I do this all. the. time. even at our local mall!!) or worrying about which turn to take! Sit back, relax and let someone else do the work for you. Plus the resorts are so safe! There are always people out and about at Disney and while I don't like being out late after dark at home, it doesn't bother me at Disney. Bring breakfast food for the room (granola bars, etc) to save some cash and relax!
BTW- I stayed at CBR YEARS ago when it was first built. LOVED it! It is a great resort!:thumbsup2

Hi from NJ too!!

I think you are stressing yourself over nothing!!

Took my 3 last year without their father for a week. I had planned on doing it again this June but my hubby decided to go. It really isn't that bad. :goodvibes

and to just have one to look after and not three?? That would be a vacation :hyper:

Hey Jersey!!! :goodvibes

Yeah, I decided to throw out the extras so taking it easy will be the plan! Thanks!

Just Relax, It will be the time of your life and something your DD5 will never forget. I would really take into consideration staying at AoA on this trip since you won't have DH or DD17. I would ditch the rental and use the buses. Goodluck and have fun!!

I'll give it a look see. Thanks!:goodvibes

Oh you are going to have just the BEST time! On site is SOOOO easy! I would take all three of mine by myself and stay on site! You park the car (we drive down from NC) and never have to use it again!! Disney transportation is safe and reliable. yes, you have to wait for busses at times, but there is no forgetting where you parked the car (I do this all. the. time. even at our local mall!!) or worrying about which turn to take! Sit back, relax and let someone else do the work for you. Plus the resorts are so safe! There are always people out and about at Disney and while I don't like being out late after dark at home, it doesn't bother me at Disney. Bring breakfast food for the room (granola bars, etc) to save some cash and relax!
BTW- I stayed at CBR YEARS ago when it was first built. LOVED it! It is a great resort!:thumbsup2

Someone recommended netgrocer to me so I'm thinking I can ditch the car and just experience Disney transportation for myself. DH said he doesn't see me touring Orlando w/o him since I'm such a scary person. When I'm on vacation I'm used to sitting back, relaxing and letting DH worry about the hard stuff...like getting us places I must go. Thanks for your tips! :goodvibes

. DH said he doesn't see me touring Orlando w/o him since I'm such a scary person.

What does your DH mean by that...that you are a scary/bad driver? Or that you get lost easily on your own?

I think of a "scary person" as like Hannibal Lecter and I doubt you are that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter