I-5 Thru Sacramento Closed May 30th-Aug

Quick question for thos eof you who know the area best-

I'm coming from Bakersfield- with the closure in effect NB on May 31, should I take 99 (my original plan, easier with kids) to the 5 or should I just stay on the 5 the whole way north?

Quick question for thos eof you who know the area best-

I'm coming from Bakersfield- with the closure in effect NB on May 31, should I take 99 (my original plan, easier with kids) to the 5 or should I just stay on the 5 the whole way north?

Bakersfield is South of Sacramento so the closure should not effect Bakersfield area..

Bakersfield is South of Sacramento so the closure should not effect Bakersfield area..

I know where Bakersfield is, I live here... ;)

I will be travelling northbound to WA, so I'm wondering if I should change my plans from taking 99NB or should I just start on I-5 north.

I could tell you the backroads that run the length of the River {20 miles} but it might be too confusing :scared: but it would save you some time.

This is an email they sent around my work yesterday (I work in Sac) I believe it was taken from www.fixI-5.com site but I am not positive. The website has up to date info for those of you who want to check it out.

Following is the tentative schedule for road closures during the Interstate 5 Fix-It project. The schedule remains subject to change dependent on final approvals, materials testing, weather, etc.

Stage 1: Friday, May 30 at 8:00 p.m. – All northbound lanes of I-5 (heading towards Redding) will be closed from US Highway 50/Capitol City Freeway Interchange to Richards Boulevard. The Q Street ramp will remain open from northbound I-5.

All lanes will be open from June 9 at 5:00 a.m. to Friday June 13 at 7:59 p.m.

Stage 2: Friday, June 13 at 8:00 p.m. – All southbound lanes of I-5 (heading towards Stockton) will be closed from Richards Boulevard to US Highway 50. (Two lanes will be open for traffic exiting at J Street.)

All lanes will be open for four days from June 23 at 5:00 a.m. to June 26 at 7:59 p.m.

Stage 3: Thursday, June 26 at 8:00 p.m. - All northbound lanes of I-5 (heading towards Redding) will be closed from US Highway 50/Capitol City Freeway Interchange to Richards Boulevard. The Q Street ramp will remain open from northbound I-5.

All lanes will be open for six days -- from July 3 at 5:00 a.m. to July 8 at 7:59 p.m.

Stage 4: Tuesday, July 8 at 8:00 p.m. – All southbound lanes of I-5 (heading towards Stockton) will be closed from Richards Boulevard to US Highway 50. (Two lanes will be open for traffic exiting at J Street.)

Tuesday, July 15 at 5:00 a.m. – Work on this portion of the project is complete.

North and south bound traffic on Interstate 5 heading to other destinations in the State will be detoured around West Sacramento on Interstate 80. This will reduce the amount of traffic passing through downtown Sacramento. But commute traffic will still cause delays in arriving to the OSP facility. The freeway closure will increase traffic on Richards Boulevard, North 7th Street and Jibboom Street as travelers come from and go to downtown Sacramento.

Does anyone know when in August it will re-open? We might be visiting in family in late August before we start school again.

My bad on the complete date, the schedule posted says it should be done July 15 but we all know much doesn't get done on time but I hope it does:)

My bad on the complete date, the schedule posted says it should be done July 15 but we all know much doesn't get done on time but I hope it does:)

CC Meyers is ALL about getting it done on time...remember the Bay Bridge?

I just goggled CC Myers + Bay Bridge and I see and recall they have quite the record for on-time and a head of schedule finishes.Nice to know.;)

I know where Bakersfield is, I live here... ;)

I will be travelling northbound to WA, so I'm wondering if I should change my plans from taking 99NB or should I just start on I-5 north.

It won't make a difference, since 99 and 5 will merge in Sacramento before the closure, so either way you'll be detoured through the area. Just try to avoid it during commute hours and the detour really shouldn't add any significant time to your trip.

So glad someone bumped this! We will be traveling southbound to DL on the 13th or 14th which sounds like it is right when the SB lanes will be closed. Of course, just my luck.:upsidedow I'm sure we will just be able to follow the detours they post but it's nice to be forewarned so we can allow extra time and maybe plan our drive through there for mid day to miss the commuters.

I'm so glad I don't commute to Sac anymore! Good luck everyone!!!! :)

So glad someone bumped this! We will be traveling southbound to DL on the 13th or 14th which sounds like it is right when the SB lanes will be closed. Of course, just my luck.:upsidedow I'm sure we will just be able to follow the detours they post but it's nice to be forewarned so we can allow extra time and maybe plan our drive through there for mid day to miss the commuters.

We will possibly be traveling the same day as you (13th) We are spending the night in Oak Grove. We may be in the middle of rush hour, but it's good to have a heads up so we know what to expect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter