Hybrid Trailer Question

harriettbrawner

Mouseketeer
We just purchased a hybrid trailer after camping in a popup for years. Are these allowed on the tent/popup sites?

"Allowed"? Let me put it this way - I have seen hybrids in the Tent loops (1500/2000). I think as long as you have some canvas (not the awning) in your rig, you're ok. I have a folding trailer that is an A-frame and is completely hard-sided but because it folds down like it does, I call it a popup and Disney doesn't seem to have a problem with those either in the Tent loops (I have seen others in the Tent loops although I've used it only in Preferred thus far since I got it a few years ago).

TLDR version: you're good. You may have to explain to inquiring minds but IMO you're okay. Ask 10 people, tho, and you won't get 100% the same answer.

Bama Ed

PS - pictures? year/make/model? Congrats!

Thanks! I would prefer to be on one of the preferred sites, but tent/popup was all that was available for the week after Thanksgiving, plus it's a lot less expensive.

I'd love to post a picture but for the life of me I can't figure out how!

Thanks! I would prefer to be on one of the preferred sites, but tent/popup was all that was available for the week after Thanksgiving, plus it's a lot less expensive.

I'd love to post a picture but for the life of me I can't figure out how!
I think you will need to get to 10 posts

At time of writing, you are only at 6... So keep posting comments and then share the pictures when you are over 10.
6-posts.jpg

FYI, you will get an "Upload File" down by the "Post Reply" button when you are able to upload pictures.
upload.jpg

Congrats on your new camper! How big is your hybrid? I think size might play more into canvas or not. When we were in the 2000 loop a few years back (not with the class C in my profile pic, just to be clear LOL), there was a Scamp on the loop with us as well as a small hybrid. I don't think a big one would fit as comfortably as a smaller one, but I don't think that having canvas is necessarily the decision maker.

:welcome: to the forums HarriettBrawner.

Be careful going the pop-up to hybrid route. :D

We started out renting popups for race weekends. That turned into popup shopping and purchasing our first trailer, a hybrid. Then we wanted something that fared better in cool/cold weather, so we traded on a 30 ft TT. That was great until DS got a little bigger and had friends that wanted to go, so we traded on a 5th wheel bunk house. Now that one we had for 13 years, but we sold it last year and bought a new 5er mid-bunk trailer.

So the way I look at it, going from a pop-up to a hybrid is a slippery slope, so be careful. :-)

Actually, I really liked our hybrid. I came from tent camping and this was the "best of both worlds". It was easier and faster to set up than the popups we had been renting, had a real bathroom and the hard sides just made it feel a little more like a "trailer".

j

So the way I look at it, going from a pop-up to a hybrid is a slippery slope, so be careful. :-)

Hahaha, totally true! DH made me skip the hybrid stop and we went from our Aliner pop up to a TT (then on to our current C). I still wish we would have tried a hybrid, the combo is really appealing to me!

I don't think a big one would fit as comfortably as a smaller one, but I don't think that having canvas is necessarily the decision maker.
I totally agree with this.

hybrid.jpg
This one may be a bit "Large" but as you can see clearly a Hybrid with canvas. (This one is a 24 footer)

Can't wait to see it. I love our Pup, but DD is already wanting a "big camper" so I am hoping to compromise with a hybrid because they are still lighter (I think)

Not always lighter, depends on size. The big plus on hybrids is floor space, all the beds are on the outside of the trailer which is great. The major downside is if wet, like a pop up, you have to open up when you get home to dry out. We have a 3 bed like the one above and its GVWR is 5995#.

Oh trust me, we know we're on that slope....while we were waiting to sign the paperwork on the hybrid we were looking at TT's and we've even talked about skipping to a 5th wheel and going full time when my husband retires. I don't think we'll get tired of the hybrid for a while though, we loved our popups, but the combination of having a bathroom and a refrigerator and a freezer are going to be a huge benefit. As for the tent ends, we're going to get covers for them so that they won't be wet when it's time to put them up.

We chose the Spree because it was light...GVWR is 3500#...and we didn't want to have to buy a bigger truck. The only thing it didn't have that I wanted was an oven and it's only a 2 burner stove, but we'll manage. We're adding a toaster/convection oven and an electric frying pan so that will help.

We chose the Spree because it was light...GVWR is 3500#...and we didn't want to have to buy a bigger truck. The only thing it didn't have that I wanted was an oven and it's only a 2 burner stove, but we'll manage. We're adding a toaster/convection oven and an electric frying pan so that will help.
Which Spree did you get? And I'll guess it's a 2016 model? The KZ site shows all their hybrids being called "Escapes" now. The 2016 Spree 18RBT/2017 Escape E160RBT was very much like my first hybrid. Mine was a Starcraft, but the floorplan was pretty much the same.

j

Last edited:
We got the 2017 E160RBT. It will be tight with grandbabies along, but for my husband and I it will be perfect. We don't stay inside much when we're camping unless it's raining or insanely hot so we'll be fine. Excuse my strange face in the photo....I was making notes on the things we want to modify.20170122_122911-COLLAGE.jpg

We bought ours when DS was 2, so probably a lot like a grand baby. Your trailer is almost identical to our hybrid, except mine had a U shaped dinette instead of the table and couch. I think I like yours better.

That should be a great move from a popup. You will be thrilled with how much easier it is to setup. The other thing I liked, was being able to get in the trailer and use it with the bunks closed. I remember arriving to a campground and it started raining really hard right after I unhitched. We all just jumped in to the camper and sat on the couch waiting out the heavy rain. With the popup, we would have been sitting in the car.

j

The only thing it didn't have that I wanted was an oven and it's only a 2 burner stove, but we'll manage.

I used to think it would be cool to have an "Oven" in our TT. Well I current one has one and now my thought is... "What a waste of space." While we didn't really go looking for the oven in our camper, the camper we now have came with one. The sad thing is, is that they felt it needed to have a "Broiler" in it as well. So the shelf is in the middle of this small oven. You can cook in the oven by putting the food on top. Barely enough room to make cookies never mind something like a meatloaf or a chicken.

The broiler is the same burner but you put the food underneath. Same concerns.... Not really enough room to cook anything worth the effort.

Now I don't know about you, but I rarely "Broil" at home. I prefer to "Grill" over broiling. More so when I am camping, so why they shrunk the working space of the oven to include a broiler, I will never know. I think you are better off getting your higher end toaster oven to use as an oven. Better yet, a "Convection" microwave. At least you would have more usable space.

I used to think it would be cool to have an "Oven" in our TT. Well I current one has one and now my thought is... "What a waste of space." While we didn't really go looking for the oven in our camper, the camper we now have came with one. The sad thing is, is that they felt it needed to have a "Broiler" in it as well. So the shelf is in the middle of this small oven. You can cook in the oven by putting the food on top. Barely enough room to make cookies never mind something like a meatloaf or a chicken.

The broiler is the same burner but you put the food underneath. Same concerns.... Not really enough room to cook anything worth the effort.

Now I don't know about you, but I rarely "Broil" at home. I prefer to "Grill" over broiling. More so when I am camping, so why they shrunk the working space of the oven to include a broiler, I will never know. I think you are better off getting your higher end toaster oven to use as an oven. Better yet, a "Convection" microwave. At least you would have more usable space.

I agree with this totally. I do use our oven for muffins and cookies and maybe a frozen pizza sometimes, but I'd just as soon use the space for a nice toaster oven instead. The only time that wouldn't work is when we are dry camping, but my baking is usually a novelty or rainy day thing and I could live without it if we didn't have hookups.

The only thing it didn't have that I wanted was an oven and it's only a 2 burner stove, but we'll manage. We're adding a toaster/convection oven and an electric frying pan so that will help.

Just be aware that most ovens in RV's have been fazed out and everything we've been seeing - and have - is a convection/microwave combo. Ours in the mh works great and we love it - don't want/need a gas oven taking up extra space.

We 'do' use our oven (except at Disney) - mostly for biscuits in AM and baked goodies, in general, but actually prefer the convection. We're used to it at home anyway.

Congratulations on finding what you want, and may you have many camping trips/memories!!

I would love to trade up to a hybrid. Some of the ones I've seen are HUGE inside with the added benefit of tons of beds - we are 6 but my kids are getting to the ages where I would love to bring friends. Right now, the only option is in a tent on the site but that's only viable a few months of the year and those are the months where the snowbirds make it difficult to book a site in state parks. Congrats!!!

Right now, the only option is in a tent on the site but that's only viable a few months of the year
Well..... depends on the camper themselves. I have tent camped in sub-zero as well as in "Tropical" weather. While neither is really "Ideal" for "Relaxing" (again, depends on your definition of relaxing), it's very doable. :)

Given an option to go camping and sleeping in a tent (but still have the camper available for things like bathroom or sit down meals), in my younger days, I'd do it regardless of the weather, especially if the alternative is to not go at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter