Hurricane season?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Paulakoala, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Paulakoala

Paulakoala Mouseketeer

We are looking at cruising W Caribbean October 2014. DH is worried about the weather. Any insights?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cypressmom

cypressmom Love my Disney vacations!

We cruised in October and had perfect weather!

4. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

You could have rough weather any time of the year. In January 2011 we dealt with a strong winter storm that moved south. Rained out in Cozumel and cancelled excursions. The sea day was 20+ foot swells and 50 knot headwinds.

5. TXinmyheart

TXinmyheart Mouseketeer

There has been a hurricane in every month of the year.

6. lodge

lodge DIS Veteran

Have the best insurance you can... like "cancellation for any reason"

7. Wenawen

Wenawen Earning My Ears

Every year is different. I lived in Orlando for 16 years. Andrew came thru Miami in Aug. Katrina went thru New Orleans in Sept. Sandy hit NY in late Oct. It's never the same. I never prepared for a hurricane while I lived there but the year I moved-there were 3 significant storms that went thru the middle of the state and did a lot of damage.

8. anniemck

anniemck DIS Veteran

Book it, get travel insurance and be prepared for itinerary changes. If there is a storm in the east the ship will go west, if the storm is in the west the ship will go east... they do have experience in this and will not put guests in harms way intentionally. And just in case, be prepared for an extra day or two at sea in case a storm pops up while you are out and they can't bring you back in... After Hurricane Wilma in 2005 ports were closed for a couple days in Ft Lauderdale, same as after Katrina in New Orleans same year.

9. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Hurricane season is 6 months of the year...and hurricanes can occur in other months. Bottom line, the captain will stay as far away from the storm as practical; however, there can be errors in predictions and storms can be worse than anticipated.

The real problem is when a hurricane closes Port Canaveral (or whatever port you are using.) THAT is a mess.

10. PKK/MJK

PKK/MJK DIS Veteran

We were on the 10/20 Fantisy cruise this year and chased Sandy up the Atlantic. Winds were 55 mph on the Port side while we crossed Cuba, since we changed course course as the Bahamas were bring hit. Then we had 75-85 mph winds head-on while we were going up Fla coast. We got pounded but safe. I would not be afraid of any hurricane while on the new Disney ships, they can take it. (DCL also gave us a 25% discount on any future cruise due to the storm) We have already booked another cruise in Oct 2013. Phil

My birthday is 10/30 and we have cruised DCL in late Oct. for the past 5 years. This year was the only really bad weather cruise.

11. pdwimmer

pdwimmer DIS Veteran

Well, we'e done three cruises with DCL. November, February and September. To my knowledge these are all hurricane months. We only had one hurricane with the first trip in November. We could see it on the horizon as we were boarding. Once the whistles blew the ship hauled hinny out of Port Canaveral. We sailed around it with absolutely no issues. So it's up to you if you want to take the risk or not. It has always worked out well for us and we have purchased insurance just in case. Happy Sailing.

12. MND

MND DIS Veteran

I wouldn't worry about it. The weather could be bad any time of the year. If there is a hurricane, the captain will just sail around it. I think Hurricane Sandy was in the area of the Fantasy awhile back, but the ship just went around it with very minor inconveniances to the passengeners. I think some said they just slept right through it.

However, trip insurance may make sense for you, regardless of the time of year you sail.

Enjoy your cruise!

Mike

13. Disney Magic Girl

Disney Magic Girl Mouseketeer

We have sailed every October since 2008. We have encountered 2 hurricanes in that time. 2008 we were in the eastern Caribbean on the magic when hurricane Omar was at St. Thomas. The ship Capitan told us we would not be going to St. Thomas and he took the ship to Nassau Bahamas instead. It was no big deal, the seas were a little rough but no big deal.

The second hurricane encountered was hurricane Sandy in October of this year. The first 5 days of the cruise were awesome. The weather was great and we had a great time for the first 5 days. When we boarded the ship on Wednesday in St. Thomas the Capitan told us of the hurricane. He said that we would not be going to Castaway cay on Friday because that was where the hurricane would be. The Capitan also told us that we would take a different route back to Port Canaveral so we could stay a safe distance from the hurricane. He said we would stay at least 200 miles from the hurricane. Thursday was not a bad day but the seas were a little rough. The outside of deck 4 was closed off as well as deck 12 and 13 due to the weather. Friday we were crossing the straights of Florida and the seas were a little rougher than Thursday but during the day they were not that bad. It was the Friday night seas that we wish we would have avoided. When we went to dinner at 5:30 the apparent wind was 78mph across the bow. When the second seating dinner started the servers were having trouble carrying the trays and you could hear dishes breaking in the kitchens. The ship took an absolute pounding from about 8PM Friday night until about 5AM Saturday morning. My wife and I were on Deck 11 and were washed across the deck by the adult pool water that spilled onto the deck.

Unfortunately; the hurricane Sandy experience terrified my wife and we canceled a Honeymoon cruise that we should have been boarding on Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o5fSkNH2cc

14. Tonka's Skipper

Tonka's Skipper DIS Veteran

The plain facts are that hurricanes and storms at sea can happen any time of the year. If you are the type to be frightened easily if the vessel does some rolling and pitching, its best not to cruise.

AKK

15. JimGA

JimGA DIS Veteran

It will be hit or miss, odds are in favor of good weather. I would purchase trip insurance that covers if you cancel for bad weather or any otehr reason. Just ask the people who had to sail during hurricane Sandy.

16. darkwing818

darkwing818 DIS Veteran

I totally agree, we have sailed in September, October & November, & with no problems. On the other hand we were very lucky, this past October our cruise just beat hurricane Sandy back to Florida. Bottom Line; it's the WEATHER... No One Knows :confused3

17. jdb in AZ

jdb in AZ <font color=green>It could end up curdled<br><font

We usually have very smooth sailing on Alaskan cruises, since there's land on both sides of the ship for much of the way. And there aren't nearly as many hurricanes up there either.

18. Paulakoala

Paulakoala Mouseketeer

Ok - so I'm just gonna tell him we'll be fine. ;) He's the worry wart, if he can't find something to worry about he'll make something up.

Thanks for the input, everyone!