Hurricane Matthew - Keep your guard up -- still a dangerous storm

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
There is a hurricane in the Eastern Caribbean which should be watched for the next several days.

Hurricane Matthew went from a disturbed area to tropical storm strength very quickly, and has equally quickly progressed to a Category 2 hurricane with sustained winds over 100 mph and gusts to 120. This rapid intensification is especially concerning because it occurred with the system moving quickly (17 mph), in an environment with moderate humidity, warmish waters, and strong wind shear -- all of which inhibit strengthening.

At 8 AM Friday, Matthew was located roughly 500 miles south of the Dominican Republic, but much closer to Venezuela (about 120 miles north of the Venezuela-Columbia border). The storm is moving a little south of due west at 14 mph.

As Matthew continues westward, several significant changes will occur. It will slow down, and then turn 90 degrees to the right (north). It will progress from an area with 55% humidity to an area of 65% humidity, from warmish waters to waters that are as warm as oceans get, and the wind shear will be cut in half. Later today or Saturday, Matthew is expected to intensify to a Category 3 hurricane, which is a major storm.

The current forecast track calls for Matthew to strike (or pass east of) Jamaica on Monday morning as a powerful Category 3 hurricane. It is projected to continue northward, probably striking eastern Cuba as a Cat 3. The mountainous area of eastern Cuba is expected to weaken Matthew slightly to Cat 2, and then it is projected to move into the central Bahamas.

Most -- but not all -- of the computer models support the above track. The problem with the track is it depends of the timing of frontal movements over the next several days. This movement is expected to produce a gap which allows Matthew to change course to the north -- but forecasting the timing of that move is very difficult several days ahead of time, and the devil is in the details.

The earlier that opening occurs, the sooner Matthew turns, and the less threat to Florida. If it turns early enough, it could recurve out into the Atlantic and not threaten the US mainland at all.

Or...as one good model suggests, it could go through downtown Miami. Way too soon to tell. We are due to fly to Washington DC on Monday morning, but that trip is very much up in the air due to Matthew.

We'll be watching Matthew closely, and so should you if you're headed to Florida (or HHI) next week.

Last edited:
Well, I'm already here, so I'll be rooting for the quick turn to the North. Thanks for the report. :)

The 11 AM Friday forecast has upgraded Matthew to a Category 3 hurricane with 115 mph sustained winds and gusts to 140. And that is despite the storm having to fight 20 mph wind shear. The storm has slowed to 11 mph forward movement, which probably caused the intensification.

The overall forecast track is little changed from my original post.

5 PM Friday -- Matthew has intensified to a very dangerous Category 4 hurricane with sustained winds of 140 mph and gusts to 165 mph. Forecast track is about the same, but it's still way too early to tell where Matthew is going.

We are leaving for HHI in the morning. We are headed back home Thursday morning. I'm watching closely. I'm hoping that we will be out of there before it hits. Many models are showing it in the Bahamas Wednesday afternoon.

So far, two people have been killed by Hurricane Matthew. To give you an idea of the power of this storm, on St. Vincent the winds dislodged a boulder from a hillside, which tumbled down and crushed a teenager against a house. The other death was a drowning in Columbia.

At 8 PM Friday, Matthew had slowed to 9 mph, still WSW and the winds were up to 150 mph sustained with gusts to 165.

The intensity forecast calls for Matthew to remain a strong Cat 4 storm tomorrow, then decrease to Cat 3 on Sunday and strike Jamaica as Cat 3 on Monday. If Matthew hits Jamaica with Cat 3 or higher force, it will be a nightmare.

I don't see anything that I'd expect to diminish Matthew. There is no forecast discussion giving reasons for possible weakening, and the intensity forecasts have consistently underestimated this storm. Two days ago, this was not even a Tropical Depression and it jumped from nothing, to Cat 2, to Cat 4 in 48 hours in conditions that were unfavorable for strengthening.

I would not be surprised to see Matthew as a Category 5 (the top category >157 mph winds) tomorrow morning.

I would not be surprised to see Matthew as a Category 5 (the top category >157 mph winds) tomorrow morning.
Per local weather reports this morning, Matthew over-night got into the Cat 5 category but came back to it's current Cat 4 status.

Per local weather reports this morning, Matthew over-night got into the Cat 5 category but came back to it's current Cat 4 status.
Right, it was a 165 mph Category 5 storm at the 11 pm update -- the first 5 since Wilma in 2005 -- but 145 mph Cat 4 at 11 am this morning. It is also almost stopped, reported moving at 5 mph to the west. That is a significant change of about 15 degrees and hopefully indicates the storm is making the big turn to the right that we are expecting (hoping for).

But I'm really not liking the computer runs I see. We are traveling to DC on Monday, but we're actually not going to be able to make a decision until tomorrow unless American Airlines makes it for us by canceling our flight.

Stay with the Euro models. GFS is straight pooh. Should be staying well to the east of the coast. WDW might get some rain and wind, but nothing that would keep me from throwing on my poncho and heading to the parks.

Right, as others have said, it's too early to ascertain the impact to the continental US. I have friends traveling, and I'm more concerned about their flights being delayed/cancelled than their experience after arrival.

Matthew has been just wandering around for quite a while now -- it was going south for a while, was stopped earlier this morning, and at 11 AM Sunday was moving slowly (3 MPH) to the west.

Hopefully, this is the start of a 90 degree turn to the north, but I won't have any confidence in its direction until that turn is complete and northward motion is sustained for a while. Matthew has been a very quirky storm from the start and hurricanes that stop and then go in another direction can be very unpredictable. A hurricane hunter aircraft is in the system now, so this afternoon and evening's reports should reflect their findings.

The 11 AM forecast track calls for the storm to move northward later today and continue northward, passing east of Jamaica and striking the SW peninsula of Haiti Monday night. That track reflects a slight move to the right (east) from previous tracks taking the storm over Jamaica.

If that course holds, the damage in Haiti is likely to be horrific. Haiti will be in the NE quadrant of the storm where the strongest winds are and the south-facing coast of that peninsula will take the heaviest part of the storm surge. Haiti's losses from tropical cyclones are often measured in the thousands. Hurricane Jeanne was only a tropical storm when it struck Haiti in 2004, killing 3,000. Unfortunately, the closest storm matching the landfall point and strength of Matthew was Hurricane Flora in 1964. It was a Cat 4, struck the SW peninsula with 145 mph winds, and killed 8,000 people.

On Tuesday morning, the track takes the storm directly over the U.S. Naval Base at Guantanamo, Cuba and dependents (and pets) from that base are currently being evacuated to the US.

On Wednesday, the track passes through the Central Bahamas, which would be about 200-250 miles SE of Miami. I think the forecasters are comfortable with the track to that point, but past three days out the variances get much bigger.

After Wednesday -- IF the predictions prove correct -- Matthew is expected to turn slightly left, which would bring it closer to Florida. I think actual landfall in Florida is unlikely at this point, but beyond 3 days our predictions become very iffy. On Friday, most of the Florida Atlantic coast from West Palm Beach to Jacksonville is still "in the cone," so it's way too early to relax yet.

At a minimum, Florida should get wind and rain, but the most important impact will probably be storm surge and wave action. Currently 12-foot seas extend 240 nautical miles (about 265 statute miles) NW of the eye. That is likely to cause very dangerous seas and rip currents on the Florida coast as the storm moves by offshore. Anyone along the beach areas should definitely stay OUT of the water.

Anyone at, or going to, HHI should keep a close eye on this hurricane.

Heading down on Friday; praying that it will take the far eastern path, and stay out to sea.

We are at HHI right now. Weather is beautiful but is supposed to get nasty later this week. Because of the hurricane, they have halted all beach renovation activities until after it passes.

Fortunately, our trip isn't until next Friday (the 14th) so hopefully Matthew will be a non-issue by then...

...but right now, our biggest concern is for a co-worker of mine who moved to Haiti in June with his wife and two pre-teen daughters. They literally sold off almost everything they had, left their jobs (he's been granted a LOA for 2 years) and moved to Haiti to do missionary and medical work. Needless to say, they are terrified. They have been updating us on Facebook but they expected to lose their connection sometime overnight so the last update we had from them was at 10pm yesterday.

My trip plans are nothing for me to worry about right now. These guys are worried about losing their lives.

Update:
Track has moved to the west, it is now projected to be @100 miles off the FL coast starting Thursday night/Friday.
Hurricane force winds are projected to be inland of FL as far as the Orange County/Brevard County line.
Tropical Storm to Hurricane force winds are projected to be inland as far as Lake County.
VB could be under evac orders on Wed.
Awaiting JimMIA latest as he usually has the best/latest information.

Updated update:
Just found out that Volusia County schools are closed as of Thursday.

Last edited:
We're at DVB right now in Villa 15 and can see the ocean from our living room. Yesterday, the winds were high, and the water was very rough. Today is the complete opposite. It's clear, no winds, and the water is calm.

I'm anxious to see if, or more likely when, they're going to evacuate us. I've dealt with plenty of tornados in my life, but I've never been this close to an approaching hurricane. Thankfully, my husband grew up in a shore town so he knows what to do.

11:00 update:
Hurricane Watch issued for Brevard/Volusia County line south to Deerfield Beach; this includes VB.

Updated update:
South Carolina is ordering all coastal areas evac starting tomorrow.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter