Hurricane Irene

TreesyB

DIS Veteran
Do you think I would be crazy to drive down to FL when a hurricane is due to hit the day after we arrive? I'm worried, but my parents are looking forward to driving down to their condo in Fort Myers, and I don't want to discourage them, but I don't want to be dangerous either.

What do you think?

Well, we are flying that day and, as long as the airline is willing, we will still be going. If our flight gets outright cancelled, we will be stuck driving and I wouldn't hesitate.

Fort Myers is on the west coast and the hurricane is predicted to be off the east coast. They should be ok, just keep watching the NOAA hurricane centre for the best info. Personally, i'd have no trouble going down then and following I75.

i was suppose to be landing in Orlando the same time that Irene is off the coast..but I was going to stay a coulpe nights in siesta key first anyway- Igot my flight changed with no fee to tampa- the only other cost is my car rental is higher (about $75) but we are closer to siesta key when we land.

Well, we are flying that day and, as long as the airline is willing, we will still be going. If our flight gets outright cancelled, we will be stuck driving and I wouldn't hesitate.

I'm with you. We're flying out Thursday morning .. and as long as they're flying I'll be there!!

I'm not so concerned about Irene hitting Florida, but I am concerned with having her hit Nova Scotia. Our flight is supposed to leave Halifax at 6:30 a.m. on Monday morning. That is during the time that Irene could be causing bad weather in our area if she makes it here and is still at any strength.

I'm trying not to think about it. I have only just started to believe that my dream trip will actually happen and that nothing will go wrong. We got all the stuff we needed, got our flights booked, got our passports, so far nobody is sick, now this. I'm just crossing my fingers we make it out and don't miss our connecting flight in Montreal where we are supposed to be meeting up with my mom who is coming from Ontario.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!