HURRICANE coming - now what??

pitmindi

Earning My Ears
I plan to leave Pittsburgh (a city that is over 300 miles from the ocean) to fly to orlando on Sun, 8/28, for a week. Of course, it is not supprising, considering my luck with weather that a hurricane is due to arrive precisely when I am, and another hurricane is right behind it. Currently we are planning to stay 8/28 - 8/30 at the beach, probably Daytona, then stay 5 nights at the Pop Century with free dining. THe SW plane tickets can only be changed if our flight is canceled due to the hurricane, which we won't know in advance, and Disney charges $200 to cancel within 5 days of arrival, so we will probably go even if the hurricane is predicted to come during our trip. Should we change our resort?? Maybe we'll need a larger room if we are in it more due to the hurricane. How does one prepare for a Disney trip when a hurricane (or two) is likely???

Disney didn't particularly want us there for the hurricane last year. Once SW cancelled us (well, first they posted on line and gave us the chance to cancel) I called Disney, and they said no problem. We had a choice last Sept to either cancel totally and get a full refund, or put our funds on another date. We cancelled.

Be sure to keep an eye on SW..they offer updates and offer often let you cancel, even if they haven't yet:

Weather Advisory - Tropical Storm Katrina
At this time, we are operating our regularly scheduled flight service to/from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and West Palm Beach (PBI). Naturally, as the tropical storm develops and moves inland, there is the possibility that any flight to/from these cities may be delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled.

Southwest Airlines Customers traveling to/from FLL and PBI after 4:00 PM CT on Wednesday, August 24 through the close of business on Saturday, August, 27 wanting to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.

We wholeheartedly appreciate your patience and invite you to please visit Flight Status Information and/or sign up for our convenient Flight Status Messaging to receive the latest information regarding your flight. You may contact our toll free Reservations (1-800-435-9792) for additional assistance.

Please read our recommendations for travel during inclement weather.

We leave on Sunday 8/28 also. Staying at Pop until 9/3. I was a little nervous about it earlier today until I saw the latest tracking predictions. It seems to be headed further south than Orlando and will make landfall on Friday in which case, the flights probably won't cancel, but we may get really wet this weekend/early next week. :umbrella:

Has anyone heard differently?

We're due to get into MCO at a little after 11:00 A.M. on Friday morning. I had been checking the tropical weather for the last week or so and was really surprised when I got online this morning and saw TS Katrina headed for Florida.

My hope now is to be able to get into Orlando with no difficulties. Once there we will make the best of it. Like I've heard before, a bad day at WDW is better than a good day at a lot of other places. My kids have been looking forward to this for too long, and we will all keep a positive attitude and hope that everyone that is in the path of the storm comes out safely.

5 am on thurs, the hurricane is supposed to go through between Miami and Palm beach (my living room to be exact) and should be out of here by Sat afternoon. You'll be fine.

This is not a hurricane, it is a tropical storm. There is a big difference. The winds are not major, but it is expected to dump a lot of rain somewhere between miami and vero beach. Again, this is a tropical storm, not a hurricane.

pitmindi said:
I plan to leave Pittsburgh (a city that is over 300 miles from the ocean) to fly to orlando on Sun, 8/28, for a week. Of course, it is not supprising, considering my luck with weather that a hurricane is due to arrive precisely when I am, and another hurricane is right behind it. Currently we are planning to stay 8/28 - 8/30 at the beach, probably Daytona, then stay 5 nights at the Pop Century with free dining. THe SW plane tickets can only be changed if our flight is canceled due to the hurricane, which we won't know in advance, and Disney charges $200 to cancel within 5 days of arrival, so we will probably go even if the hurricane is predicted to come during our trip. Should we change our resort?? Maybe we'll need a larger room if we are in it more due to the hurricane. How does one prepare for a Disney trip when a hurricane (or two) is likely???

I don't know what the weather people up north are telling you, but the Orlando weather people don't have the TROPICAL STORM (they THINK it MIGHT be a hurricane just before landfall) heading towards Orlando or any where near Daytona. It's due to hit around the Miami area, head west across Alligator Alley area and then turn north after emerging in the Gulf. I have yet to hear about any other tropical storms, much less a hurricane, behind Katrina.

Living only 15-20 min off the DW property, I can tell you that they're calling for lots of rain and some wind (35-40mph) starting late tonight (thurs) and into Sat. Having been through 3 hurricanes last year, that's not even something to blink at. I'll take some rain and a little wind over the intense t-storms any day. As long as the wind isn't bad (and it shouldn't be), all the rides will be open.

At this point, I'm more concerned for the people in the panhandle. Once Kat gets into the gulf, she'll have time to reorganize and get stronger with the warm waters helping her. Once she makes that turn north (or northeast, as our people are predicting), the poor people in the panhandle will get hit with a hurricane....again. :(

Thanks webray and FirstNo, you beat me too it and said it better than I planned too.

Just because "Florida" and "Hurricane" are in the same sentence doesn't mean that you need to alter your Disney travel plans. After 3 (THREE) canes in '04, the MEDIA will look for an opportunity to hype it again. Just read between the lines and go to the NOAA website for good info.

DMRick; that's strange, as every one of the posts I read from folks who happened to be at the Disney resorts last year for either of the three that hit stated the Disney Resorts were the place to be, and they couldn't believe how great the staff and service were under the circumstances.

It's only a tropical storm, not a hurricane. There is a slight possiblity that it reaches the first level of a Cat 1 prior to making landfall along the east coast of Florida, around the Fort Lauderdale area and then coming across Florida and exiting into the Gulf somewhere from where I am in Naples to the Fort Myers area. We're only going to get some winds and some heavy rain, it's nothing. The Orlando area may get some remnants of the storm with rain, but that's about it.

I think this is a "Disney Hurricane" that you could weather with a Mickey Poncho!!! Go and have fun... if you dont arrive until Sunday....even the rain might be gone!!

Cool we arrive on Sunday, maybe it will cool it down a little but I can't wait to get there. :banana: :banana: :banana:

DisneyGrandParents said:
DMRick; that's strange, as every one of the posts I read from folks who happened to be at the Disney resorts last year for either of the three that hit stated the Disney Resorts were the place to be, and they couldn't believe how great the staff and service were under the circumstances.

Given a choice between a guest being home, and away from the hurricane, or at Disney and in a hurricane, then home is the place to be, by all means.

However, given the choice between someone being off-property, or on-property during the hurricane, then yes, by all means, Disney is the place to be. You've got the wonderful cast members, food, water, hurricane resistant shelter, and most importantly, POWER. I lost power first thing in all three storms, and it took a long time to get it back.

Indeed, it's amazing how great the cast members really were during the hurricanes. Many of them were working 20+ hour shifts, getting a few hours nap in the back office, or wherever they can find a quiet place, and then going right back to work.

I live in south Florida and this tropical storm/hurricane is slated to hit Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale) early Friday morning. Boca Raton (South Palm Beach County) is expected to get a beating because it is on the right side of the storm. BUT, the winds are not expected to top 79 miles per hour. The problem will be the rain, lots of rain and the power outages that go with it.

Those in Orlando should be fine. We took a Disney cruise and stayed at the Hard Rock last September during a hurricane and it was fine. I hope everybody has a great time on their vacations.

No word on where the "second" tropical depression is headed. I think I am going to move to the middle of this country!

DisneyGrandParents said:
Thanks webray and FirstNo, you beat me too it and said it better than I planned too.

Just because "Florida" and "Hurricane" are in the same sentence doesn't mean that you need to alter your Disney travel plans. After 3 (THREE) canes in '04, the MEDIA will look for an opportunity to hype it again. Just read between the lines and go to the NOAA website for good info.

What Rick meant was that Disney was very accomidating in letting guests cancel that had not left home prior to the storm. Certainly for those that were already there when the storms hit, and I was there for Charlie, they were well prepared and we were treated great.

However as Tyler stated, if one has the option to avoid coming into an approaching major hurricane as last summer's storms were then that is different.

This however is a Tropical Storm, much different situation. For those outside of the Florida area I suggest you watch the Weather Channel for an accurate forecast.

Pack your ponchos, extra shoes and socks, make sure you have your ADRs made and have a good time.

pitmindi said:
Of course, it is not supprising, considering my luck with weather that a hurricane is due to arrive precisely when I am.
OK so I can thank you for this storm? :rotfl:

We too arrive Sunday 8/28 and leave on Wednesday 8/31. I'm hoping we don't get too much rain as we only have 4 days but I know we'll still have a great trip. And I too am hopeful like ANUT4DISNEY said that this will bring a bit cooler weather.

Thank you everyone. I hope those of you that are in the path are okay. Here's some :wizard:

Thanks again for the information. We too are leaving 08/28 and will be there for 9 nights. I am okay if we can land, than whatever happens, happens.

Thanks again and be safe everyone!

I feel for all of you that are going soon because as you can see from my signature we were there last year when Hurricane Charley hit. We just got back from our trip last Friday and I must say thank goodness I wasn't there for it again.
I have a cousin who is down there now so I'M worried about them and my DH has a co-worker that is leaving this Sat. also and is now in a panic on what to do.
From the reports I'M seeing it does look like the storm is more south which is good news but I'm sure WDW is getting the rain and wind. They say it's supposed to make landfall tonight.
Good luck all of you that are going soon and let's hope it all works out.

Leaving 8.28 also, was concerned until i spoke to a friend in Port St. Lucie who said no problems in Orlando and shouldnt be at all by sunday! Cant wait to be there hurricane or not!!!

pinkpiglettlover said:
Cant wait to be there hurricane or not!!!

That's the spirit. I was there last year when Hurricane Charley hit and you just have to make the best of it.
I have heard it is not supposed to hit the Orlando area though so that's good news. At least it won't be real hot...I could deal with wind and a little rain. We just got back last Friday and WDW had their daily storms in the late afternoon anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter