HP Rides - give me the lowdown!

BearFamily

Mouseketeer
OK. We're contemplating a short Universal trip, mostly to see all of the HP stuff which we've all been dying to see. I'm trying to figure out whether or not we will be able to handle the various rides. I've watched some online videos that me feel a little better about it but I'm still nervous. Everybody says "they're not like anything else!" So of course, I need people to help compare it to something else. :) (I did go back and read the old threads asking the same question!)

I hate actual roller coasters. Did the "kiddie coaster" at our local amusement park and was kind of terrified.
DD did better on the kiddie coaster than me but is scared if anything "looks" like a roller coaster.
DH is also not a coaster guy.

I did Star Tours once and was mostly fine with the virtual reality stuff but didn't like being thrown around.
DD LOVED Star Tours and rode it five times with DH.
DH got slightly motion sick (he regularly does when Gforces are involved) but likes SW enough that he didn't care and rode it five times. :)

Did Mission Space weenie version - I didn't mind it but again didn't like the getting thrown around aspect.
DD liked Mission Space weenie version until she thought it was her fault it crashed, then she cried. Then once she understood it was going to do that anyway, she said it was her favorite ride so far that trip.
DH was mostly fine with Mission Space.

We all liked Soarin' (twice) although I don't love being up in the air like that. DD wants to go on every variation on Dumbo in every park - no problem being up in the air.

Pretty sure none of us are going on the Hippogriff. Behind the scenes video makes me thing we'd all be OK with the one where you are flying on a bench. Right? And Gringotts....that's more roller coastery, right? Or does it just look like it?

So, I'll do my best to compare them to something they're nothing like! ;) The Hippogriff is just a fantastic kiddie coaster--Goofy's Barnstormer on steroids. I seriously think you should try it--it's like flying over Hogsmeade and I pinkie swear you'll survive!

Gringott's is fairly coaster-like BUT you're seated in big cars, sort of like in Figment, so the motion is more swoopy than loopy, and bonus--you can't see the track! My first comment was that I thought they tried really hard to make something most everybody could tolerate, since....

Forbidden Journey is quite the hurlmeister. Have mercy, I literally have to take Dramamine to ride it. BUT it's the movie part that bothers me (as does the Simpsons, big time). It definitely throws you around too, but you're sort of nestled into the seat, so it supports you and keeps you from flying around. Your legs swing around, but I think that's fun. There are big giant set pieces, some animatronic, that you fly thru/past mixed with projected images. It really is...wait for it....like nothing else! I say take a Dramamine and give it a shot. It's really too amazing to not at least try. If you love Potter, you'll have an amazing trip!! Have a great time!!

Hippogriff is worth trying - and it's a cute coaster even great for young kids. One way I estimate how intense a ride may be is to look at the height requirements. I figure if little kids are allowed on, then it can't be that crazy. Hippogriff is 36". That's 2 year old height.

I haven't a clue about Gringotts since I haven't been since it opened. However, I have a child who struggles on some rides and some things in general, and it looks like one that he can try. It's a 42" ride and he's 49" so I figure it can't be that crazy.

Then there's Forbidden Journey. I'm thinking that's what you mean by flying bench. Though it's height minimum of 48" means that many 6 year olds are tall enough, it is intense. It is wonderful, but not a ride I'd try to convince someone to go on if I didn't know their limitations well. My daughter loves roller coasters but I knew it would likely be too intense for her on our last trip so I didn't try to convince her as the intensity is so much more than a coaster intensity. My eldest son doesn't love the most intense rides but did okay on it, likely since he likes HP so much - but he didn't want to do it a second time even though he wouldn't have had to wait. (We did rider swap). My youngest son is tall enough to do it on our upcoming trip and there's no way he could handle it. My daughter does want to try it and I think she might be ready now. As for motion sickness, Star Tours can cause me problems in spots. I wear sea bands and it helps quite a bit. I also look away from the screen when needed. FJ has some part on the screens and some some part not - it's the screen part that I struggle with. I make it through and would be fine doing it twice in a row - as long as I wear my sea bands and look away when needed. If you aren't sure, perhaps you could send your husband on it first and figure it out from there. You didn't say how old your daughter is, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to recommend it to her. Rider swap is easy though - you can all go through the line in the castle together and then do rider swap inside the ride. That way, once your husband is done, you can use his report to decide if you're going to do it without waiting in line again. (That is, if your daughter is a little young to decide to do it).

The main thing with gringotts is not to panic and think you are going on a rollercoaster. You are in a car (like test track) The first drop is like a small rollercoaster. But it is over quickly - you are not on a rollercoaster. The rest of the ride is sitting in a car and watching a screen.

Hiippograff is like goofys barnstormer.

Foribidden journey is the most intense. You can do a castle only tour if the ride doesn't appeal. You sit in a row and there is a lot of motion, at one point you are pretty much lying on your back. I sometimes feel a touch queasy, I wouldn't ride it multiple times in a row.

I'd give them a try once as they are amazing rides.

Agree with PPs. Gringott's doesn't have hills or drops, and moreso pulls you on a track quickly. It has a few whips and turns, and in the very beginning, your ride vehicle tilts up semi-vertically and gives you the feeling you're going to fall but the drop is quick and painless. I wouldn't categorize it in the same class as a rollercoaster.

I agree that Forbidden Journey is the most intense. Your feet hang and you're pulled from a track above that turns you in all directions. At some points, you're tilting almost backwards and you can feel your shoulder restraints working to hold you down as your butt comes off the seat. It's a brief moment, but worth noting. Star Tours can make me a touch queasy, and I get the same feeling on Forbidden Journey as well but if I close my eyes I'm good. It's really a great ride. If you skip the ride, you can still tour Hogwarts by entering the tour-only line and you don't have to wait in the regular queue for the riders.

I'm definitely not a roller coaster girl. Big Thunder is my limit.

I really think everyone will be fine on Flight of the Hippogriff. A PP comment as Barnstormer is good. This really is a kiddie coaster. Very short, relatively smooth, nothing huge. Mine Train is a "larger" coaster experience in comparison. Now - if Barnstormer is out - then this is out.

Gringott's - if you can handle Star Tours, Soarin, and Test Track - you can handle this once. I have to admit - the drop at the beginning set my fear factor up a notch - but that was really the biggest part of the ride. I calmed down after that and enjoyed the ride. Think combo of Test Track and Soarin - but you are seated in a car that is firmly attached to the track. For folks who get motion sick with simulators - this could do that to you. I'd ride this again before I would ride Star Tours again. ST is too rough, IMO.

Forbidden Journey - THIS is the BIG one. I haven't been on this one! No ride is worth a guarantee of getting motion sick for me.

If it helps, my 76 year old mother rode Gringott's with no problems. As others have mentioned, there is a drop at the beginning but it's quick. There is also a fast part at the end. Other than that, I think the motion of the ride is pretty tame.

I think I am what would be classed as average in terms of being daring. I don't like pure huggggeee drops like Tower of Terror, but rollercoasters are normally fine, as are flume type rides. I love simulators and Transformers/Spiderman.

Gringotts is like a modern combination of a fairly tame rollercoaster (but with one small drop) and Transformers/Spiderman type screens and scenes. It is utterly fantastic. The drop at the beginning looks worse than it is. The coaster part is like a tame version of the Mummy ride...ish.

Forbidden is different. I went on this first. Gringotts seems tame compared to it. Forbidden is so incredibly brilliant it is unreal, but it DOES have elements of being quite a full on ride.....e.g. the speed the technology swings the bench around, the fact you almost lay on your back at one point, and the fact animatronics come at you quite suddenly. My mum and dad both went on it, both are 60, and whilst my mum said it was a bit much, she was very impressed. (They both thought Gringotts was also great, but it is more tame).

Both are worth risking your fears if you are healthy. I would ride both over and over if I could.

Hogwarts Express is amazing. Suitable for all.

Hippogriff is a tame little coaster...fun for all, but aimed at kids.

Foribidden journey is the most intense. You can do a castle only tour if the ride doesn't appeal. You sit in a row and there is a lot of motion, at one point you are pretty much lying on your back. I sometimes feel a touch queasy, I wouldn't ride it multiple times in a row.

I'd give them a try once as they are amazing rides.

We rode it 4 times in a row, quickly returning through the single rider line on an EE morning. I did feel a touch dizzy after that, but MAN what a ride that is!

Yeah, I like to think I have an iron stomach, but FJ definitely made me nauseous at times (the only other ride to do so at UO was the Simpsons ride)! Gringott's is much less intense.

Thanks for everyone's post. We have watched the YouTube videos of Forbidden Journey but it is hard to tell from them about lying flat on your back. Whoa.

I agree w/PP that both Gringotts and FJ are worth trying. But even if you decide not to ride, if you're even a little bit of a Harry Potter fan, visiting both HP lands is totally worth it even w/o riding the rides! It's so we'll done!

The description was very HELPFUL! :thumbsup2I don't do well on coasters and won't be doing FJ but the rest of the family will. The other 2 sound fun for me!:goodvibesThanks all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter