How's the drinking water?

toofdoc

Earning My Ears
Hi! We r first time DCL cruisers! We are so excited about our trip! We will be on the Dream. Would someone tell me about the drinking water, please? Is it tap or bottled? If tap, does it taste ok? If bottled, is it purified or spring? thanks for ur input!!! :)

In not sure what the water on board is, but I had it with dinner each night and didn't notice it tasting bad at all.

That said, we did bring some bottled water onboard with us, but primarily to have in the room in the morning/at night and to bring with us on excursions.

Hi! We r first time DCL cruisers! We are so excited about our trip! We will be on the Dream. Would someone tell me about the drinking water, please? Is it tap or bottled? If tap, does it taste ok? If bottled, is it purified or spring? thanks for ur input!!! :)

All the water onboard (for preparing food, from the drink station, in the pools, making ice, from the tap in your room) is processed the same as bottled water (reverse osmosis and filtered). The ships have their own processing equipment. IMO, I think it tastes great.

The pool water is chlorinated after processing.

We drank water right out of the tap... Well in a glass I guess... And it tasted fine. We found no need to bring bottled water. But we are not picky about our water.

The water tastes absolutely fine to me, but my DW can't stand it. That said, she is very picky about her water. She doesn't like spring water (such as the Evian they sell on board).

I tried to trick her one year by filling partially used water bottle with tap, but she told me the next day that the water tasted funny. :confused3

I'd say for 95%+ of the people, it's fine. A few complain about taste or excess saline as it is sea water they are purifying.

We have brought Brita water bottles on board, but I thought the water with dinner and from the soda fountain tasted fine. We used the Brita in our room, just to have something to carry, such as by the pool. They work great and are around $8. They don't sweat as much as some water bottles, but they aren't sweat proof.

A few complain about taste or excess saline as it is sea water they are purifying.

It is sea water, but through the process they use, there is no more salt in the water than typical bottled water. Used to be in the old days of cruising, the water on board had a lot of extra salt, but with new water treatment technology, as a PP mentioned, the tap water has the same or usually less, mineral content than bottled water does. My only complaint is that I wish it was colder. We always have the room steward keep the ice bucket full.

Same process to prepare your tap water as to prepare bottled water. Only difference is some people actually pay money for water! Bring on an empty bottle and fill it for free with the same liquid...

I like the "Mickey's Magical Water" on the ship! :thumbsup2
DH always gets a case of bottled for taking ashore and up to pool.

All the water onboard (for preparing food, from the drink station, in the pools, making ice, from the tap in your room) is processed the same as bottled water (reverse osmosis and filtered). The ships have their own processing equipment.

On the Fantasy, they had a "behind the scenes" video on one of the channels. They explained that to get potable water, they boil the sea water in a slight vacuum (boiling point about 70 C), then condense the steam.
They have lots of spare heat from the engines that they can use for this and other purposes.

I was really concerned about the water for our first cruise last summer on the Fantasy. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it tasted great! I was so glad that I did not get a water package.

I only drink filtered water at home and was also concerned before our cruise. It tasted fine to me at dinner and at the soda fountain. I carried a water bottle and filled it frequently. We did bring a few bottles of water on board for excursions but I didn't drink them on the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter