How worth it is it?

IsamarV14

DisCheerleader
So we recently became DVC members at a steal of a price last year. Since getting our points loaded in October 2020 we've taken 2 DVC trips (Dec and Feb) and will be headed down again in May (non-DVC) and we've purchased tickets every trip since annual passes are not a thing right now. After paying for it tickets third time (LOL) I'm really looking for a way to save some $$ while still visiting the parks.

So, how worth is the Disney Chase visa CC? I really only want it if I feel like we can save some money with the card, if not, I don't want a meaningless card. I don't mind the $50 annual fee (for background) So what are your experiences?

So we recently became DVC members at a steal of a price last year. Since getting our points loaded in October 2020 we've taken 2 DVC trips (Dec and Feb) and will be headed down again in May (non-DVC) and we've purchased tickets every trip since annual passes are not a thing right now. After paying for it tickets third time (LOL) I'm really looking for a way to save some $$ while still visiting the parks.

So, how worth is the Disney Chase visa CC? I really only want it if I feel like we can save some money with the card, if not, I don't want a meaningless card. I don't mind the $50 annual fee (for background) So what are your experiences?
There are better rewards credit cards out there that have greater flexibility in how those rewards can be used. I have the no-fee Disney Visa, which is fine for the occasional deals but it isn't my everyday card.

Depending on how interested you are in credit card rewards, there are absolutely better choices than the Disney Visa to save money. You can check out the "I Love credit cards so much" thread for help on which is best for you. Some cards may require more work than others to get savings.

The Disney cards typically have a small sign up bonus and the most you can earn back (typically) is 2%. So they aren't terrible cards, but you could do better.

I think the most straightforward, easy way to save is to get a Target debit card. No credit pull. You don't get cash back, but you save 5% on Disney gift cards all the time which is significant. You can then use them for park tickets, food, souvenirs.

But I highly recommend a trip over to the "I love credit cards" thread if you're interested in potential other cards!

I signed up for the premier version today because of the $300 bonus.

From a strictly financial standpoint, neither of the Disney visa cards are stellar. They are fine but you can get better and more flexible rewards from other cards.

With my more typical cash-back credit cards, I often send that money back to my account right away whereas with the Disney rewards, I *have* to use the rewards on Disney...so it forces me to have fun with the rewards and they add up. This is slightly stupid because it's a self-discipline thing but I do like it.

PP mentioned the Target buy Disney GC thing which is a great thing to do, but make sure to take pictures of your gift cards (and the codes on the back) just in case something happens to them.

We have Disney Visa Premier. When we signed up, it was with a cash bonus (don't remember how much). We use our Disney rewards towards our yearly DVC dues. It's not a significant amount, but anything helps. When we go to Disney, we like to use gift cards. I'm probably one of the few who doesn't purchase them from Target. I would buy mine from Kroger when then have 4x the points or another promo going on. I will say I've shifted from buying Disney gift cards to buying Visa gift cards. Can use the Visa gift cards at Disney and I like the flexibility of having Visa where you can use just about any place versus a Disney gift card is just for Disney.

With the Disney Premier Visa, you get a $300 sign up bonus with a minimal ($1,000 in the first 3 months) spend requirement. The annual fee is $49, so the net effect is a $251 bonus in the first year.

With the no annual fee card, you get a $150 sign up bonus and a lower spend requirement in the first 3 months.

I almost always keep cards like this for only a year, and then close it. For me it is totally worth it. I've been using the card a lot, and plan to get the gift card from it shortly before our September 2021 trip. I'll close the card as soon as the anniversary / annual fee date hit the card.

I signed up for the premier version today because of the $300 bonus.

From a strictly financial standpoint, neither of the Disney visa cards are stellar. They are fine but you can get better and more flexible rewards from other cards.

With my more typical cash-back credit cards, I often send that money back to my account right away whereas with the Disney rewards, I *have* to use the rewards on Disney...so it forces me to have fun with the rewards and they add up. This is slightly stupid because it's a self-discipline thing but I do like it.

PP mentioned the Target buy Disney GC thing which is a great thing to do, but make sure to take pictures of your gift cards (and the codes on the back) just in case something happens to them.
I thought you could also use the rewards dollars to pay yourself back for airfare. Am I wrong?

I thought you could also use the rewards dollars to pay yourself back for airfare. Am I wrong?
With the premier card, yes that is correct. That is not an option with the basic card.

So, how worth is the Disney Chase visa CC?
Like a PP, we also use the card as our vacation savings. It's nice to know that money is there for Disney and I can't use it for anything else. But "worth it" is totally subjective and there are other cards with better rewards. If WDW discounts are your focus, not "worth it" in my opinion -- occasionally discounted resort rooms but not much different than a public offer, and as Charter Members I don't think I've ever seen a ticket discount. There are some dining and shopping discounts.

I have a Citi Double Cash card, which gives 2% cash back (1% on purchases, 1% when paid). It’s simple, straightforward, and there are no categories to deal with. And there are no annual fees. This is my general card.

I do have the free version for Disney Chase Visa. At the time, there was a $200 sign up bonus. And there’s no fee. I get 1% back on purchases, but it’s a Disney reward card, not cash. I usually only use it for the perks like 10% off at certain restaurants, shopDisney discounts, etc. Or occasional promos- my husband needed a suit from Jos A Bank, and I got 10% back using the Disney card. Right now, they are running a 5% promo up to $1500 on purchases- this is the first one I’ve noticed since I got the card in 2019, so I wouldn’t count on it.

Summary: there are better cards for general use, but there are some perks to the Disney Chase Visa.

Just wanted to add...

Another perk with the Disney Visa is the special photos offered at Epcot and HS ( possibly others I’m unaware). Even though we cancelled our card a few years back, we brought the card with us recently and they still honored it for the pics.

Just wanted to add...

Another perk with the Disney Visa is the special photos offered at Epcot and HS ( possibly others I’m unaware). Even though we cancelled our card a few years back, we brought the card with us recently and they still honored it for the pics.
Those are the only two locations.
I don’t know how it will be going forward, but Disneyland used to have photo spots in California Adventure and Disneyland (Launch Bay). TBD if/when those come back!

I've had the Disney VISA since Day One. It's the 1% rewards card. We also have the premier, which is 2% back on groceries, gas, and restaurants, and it has a $49 annual fee. Each card had a $200 Disney gift card incentive when I opened them, so that was a "free' $400. DH has both cards, too, so another $400 free when we opened them. We closed DH's cards after the first year, but my account is still open, and it's my go-to card. We charge everything, pay it off every month, and the Disney rewards build up. I have about $1200 saved towards the next Disney trip. Sure, there might be better rewards out there, but I like knowing we will save up enough every couple of years for park tickets on our next trip. I do use other cards when there's a bonus promo (right now we are using our AmEx Hilton card... 10K bonus points for every $5K spent, and we just went to Disney, and are planning DD's wedding and Disney honeymoon, so we'll get some Hilton points, for sure) but I like having the Disney premier card- and EVERYONE comments on it, as it's Yoda on the card!

I've had a Disney CHASE Visa since day one. I've only had the basic card for 1% return. In all the years I've gotten over $3000 in "free money". Currently I'm almost to another $1000 reward.

We’ve had the Disney Visa for years. We put all gas, groceries, major expenses on the card and pay it back at the end of the month. Yes there are cards with better rewards, but I know my husband would want to use those rewards for something “practical.” With the Disney rewards I know I get to go to Disney every few years😍

I use my disney card for my everyday costs, as much as possible. Sure, there are better rewards. Much better. But this one pays for a good chunk of my DVC dues every year. I love that!

DW had the basic Disney VISA, but only for the sign-on bonus. I convinced her to get a better cash-back rewards card so she can use the rewards anywhere. We use our home VISA cards Cash Back Rewards to pay off about half of our DVC Dues every year.

You will also find room discounts for the Disney Visa card. We had a cash booking at Riviera in January and it saved us $800 on our 1BR (off of an already discounted rate).

We got the regular Disney Visa when the sign up bonus was $250 reward dollars if you spent $1000 over three months. We then used it minimally until they offered the first year free for premier version. We switched to using the Disney card as our main card to cover airfare. I know there are better cards for cash back and air miles, but I like being able to book the flights and airlines I want and not worry about blackout dates.

From my POV there are better rewards cards out there. However, years ago I switched our regular Chase debit cards to Disney debit cards. It was simple and free and gave us access to a few small perks (like the photos)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter