how to tip?

TLLCanada

Mouseketeer
We are headed on the Fantasy in two weeks! It will be our first disney cruise. From the advice on this board I think I have figured out all the things I need to bring! I do have a question about the tips- how are they handled on the ships? We cruised NCL in the past and the tips were calculated for you and put on your room tab. Is it done this way on DCL? If I have a special server, can I leave a little more or would gifts of calling cards or sweets be more appropriate? We are having dinner in Palo on one night and I understand the servers will be different- how do I tip them?

thanks!

We are headed on the Fantasy in two weeks! It will be our first disney cruise. From the advice on this board I think I have figured out all the things I need to bring! I do have a question about the tips- how are they handled on the ships? We cruised NCL in the past and the tips were calculated for you and put on your room tab. Is it done this way on DCL? If I have a special server, can I leave a little more or would gifts of calling cards or sweets be more appropriate? We are having dinner in Palo on one night and I understand the servers will be different- how do I tip them?

thanks!

In all honesty, the overwhelming majority of servers would prefer extra cash than sweets or calling cards. If you wanted to give sweets, etc. on top of cash you can but it is not necessary or expected.

Also, by mentioning the staff that has made your trip special on your comment card at the end of the cruise greatly helps those crew membes. They get special privileges, etc. for special mentions on the comment cards.

I believe they automatically put your tips on your onboard account now. I know they do it on the Magic but I believe they now do it this way on all four ships.

Late in the cruise you will receive "vouchers" and 4 envelopes for the tipped positions....head server, server, assistant server and room host. You put the appropriate voucher in the appropriate envelope and hand them out at your last dinner or breakfast in the dining room. For the room host you can leave it on the bed when you go off to dinner. The vouchers will have the crew members name and position on it so you know which voucher goes into which envelope. This is where we always add extra cash...right in the envelope along with the voucher. The voucher is just a token to show that your tips have been paid and to hand something to the server to make it more personal.

MJ

In the past, you had to request that the tips be added to your room charge. However, it is my understanding that they're now automatically added and that you also have the option to prepay your tips before you board if you wish. I still keeps $1 bills on hand for tipping room service, though.

If you receive extra special service, I would recommend tipping additional in cash. Calling cards aren't ideal as they may not work well for the crew member him/herself. Same with treats given that individual tastes vary. Cash always fits.

For Palo and for bars, you'll receive a receipt where you can add a tip. For bars, an automatic gratuity is already added; however, we have added additional in the past when one bar server was exceptional with my DS and nieces and their mocktails.

We came off a recent Pixar cruise on the Wonder about a month ago and they had automatically added the standard tip and left the vouchers in our room. It was up to us to either ask them to remove it if we had wanted to do cash, or if we wanted to up the amount for specific servers.

We are just back yesterday from the Fantasy, they charge it to your account. they will leave you envelopes and a print out of the tips for the different people. You can just put it in the envelope and hand it to them, and you are always welcome to give extra in the envelope. I think you could add more at CS if you dont have the cash.

jkrislc said:
In the past, you had to request that the tips be added to your room charge. However, it is my understanding that they're now automatically added and that you also have the option to prepay your tips before you board if you wish. I still keeps $1 bills on hand for tipping room service, though.

If you receive extra special service, I would recommend tipping additional in cash. Calling cards aren't ideal as they may not work well for the crew member him/herself. Same with treats given that individual tastes vary. Cash always fits.

For Palo and for bars, you'll receive a receipt where you can add a tip. For bars, an automatic gratuity is already added; however, we have added additional in the past when one bar server was exceptional with my DS and nieces and their mocktails.

Your Palo server will get the add'l tip...
And someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong but we were told that the add'l gratuities given to bar staff were pooled and divided. So just something to keep in mind when tipping them, that 'your bar server' won't directly get that 'whole' tip.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

If we have exceptional service cash is the way to go. The thing about extra "special" gifts is that tit is difficult to know ahead of time (unless you know the CM) if the gift is really useful for that crew member or not. The crew quarters are also small so extra items are not usually what they want. Also that is more space in your luggage and possibly cost on your part. As far as extra money there are two ways to look at this and more commonly we are told by CMs that the charge to the shipboard account is preferred. Why is that? Well first most of the CMs are sending money home so if the funds are electronically distributed to their accounts then they can more easily move the money. Cash is fine too but it is sometimes difficult to do any banking as they do not have much time off and when they do sleep is usually the answer we get as a favorite activity. It is different than on land and in the US where cash is king. We think that partially we as Americans tend to think cash is best because if you have ever worked in food service cash is preferred. Also keep in mind that the tax laws for the CMs are different so the electronic funds are often preferred. Tipping this way even ends up saving us money in the form of cash-back on our credit cards.

Anyhow they aren't going to turn down anything but as stated in the above posts. Extra money or Extra comments on the cards which can lead to promotions are the best things for the crew.

We were on the Wonder to Alaska in August. In addition to the regular tips I brought a bunch of ones and fives. I tipped the Palo server $20 for my wife and I for dinner. Each night in the main dining room I gave the main and assistant server $5 each during each meal. They did a great job and their service was a highlight for us. For lunch I usually gave each server $5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter