How to pay for souvenirs in ports?

Rock'n Robin

Disney Queen
I am planning on using some tax refund $ for our ship account, but how can you pay for stuff in Cozumel and Cayman, do you need cash or can you use Visa? I am already guessing a debit card would not be wise (who knows who could get hold of the account #) but don't want to carry a ton of cash. I just read some awesome trip reports that gave me ideas of stuff to shop for.
Robin M.

To be honest, it will depend on where you buy the items. Some of the best "deals" will be by people with their own stands. Most, if not all of them, will accept cash only. If you venture into a store, most likely Visa will be accepted. I'd definately plan on carrying at least a couple of hundred in cash for these type of vendors.

Bring travelers checks and cash them at guest services as needed before going ashore in the ports. That will save you from haveing a lot of cash with you for the entire trip. We felt that doing business on a cash basis was by far the safest way of purchasing things in the ports (other than carying a load of cash)

I have used cash (American), credit cards and traveler's checks. If you use your credit card in Mexico it will print pesos on the receipt but the credit card will list the amount in American dollars.

We used credit cards in both ports and had no trouble at all.

Didn't want to carry a lot of cash with us.

We've used our credit card in port and generally had no problems at stores with it (we like to get those Delta Sky Miles from AMEX) but if you go out in the more independent stand areas most of them will only take cash. Travelers checks are useless unless you do cash them on board at Guest Services. We have only found maybe a handful of people take Travelers Checks at all. I also definitely would NOT use my Debit Card. We also do alot of our big purchase shopping at stores recommended by the cruiseline because if something goes wrong with it they will usually have some kind of guarantee. We bought hubby a Fossil watch in Grand Cayman and on the 2nd day the pin that you use to change the time fell out and it was worthless. We went to Guest Services (carnival cruise lines) and told them what had happened, they took the watch, our information and took care of getting it replaced and set to hubby at our home later that week for no cost to us. For the trinkets I'd bring some cash, do some haggling if you can and for the bigger stuff go to reputable stores and use your credit card.

Heidi

We didn't really buy anything big at our 3 stops, but what i did buy I paid with Cash. In Mexico all the little stands only took cash. I usually always use my debit card, but for me using cash was best because I didn't over spend and I knew how much money I had left. I do agree with the travelers checks so you won't have a lot of money on you. Does guest services exchange them for free if you want US dollar?

chrissy

I used a credit card with a very low limit on it ($1000) to minimize potential damages if someone was to make unauthorized charges on it.

I also took cash into the ports.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter