how to enjoy wine for free at dinner?

Wow....to the OP I'm sure you got your question answered. I guess what's important to know is DCL wants you to enjoy your vacation and will treat you to excellent customer service all over the ship including the dining room. :thumbsup2

If you show up with a beer in one hand a glass of wine in the other wearing denim shorts and your hard rock cafe t-shirt they will welcome you and serve you.....it's the other passengers that may take issue:rotfl2:

It's your expensive holiday...enjoy:hippie:

I am bringing wine with me for two dinners...quick question, can we carry wine with us (the bottle) to Palo's? And if we hand carry a glass of wine to dinner, where do you get the glasses? I don't feel bad carrying a bottle in, because two mixed drinks for us will be the same price as the $15-18 dollar corking fee. Gotta save every dollar we can!!:thumbsup2

Thats why I would pay a cork fee, even if it was the same price, at least if its something you know you really enjoy..
You know how they let you taste a little from a bottle, sometimes ( and on disney with expensive bottles) I dont particulary like( I will drink it though;)) I could never have the bottle to say I dont like it, I just smile and say thats fine.
Our person who looks after our room always brough us ice and glasses for night time, Havier, he was amazing!

I had no problem carrying in a glass of wine, but who on earth wants to keep going to and from your cabin to refill?!?! :confused3

The DH and I each brought 4 bottles of wine onboard (he is red, and I am white) but we still spent WAY too much at the bars and ordered a bottle at dinner a couple of times. Most nights we would take a glass from our cabin to the show (we had late dinner) after having a glass in the cabin. And for the corkage fee, I would rather use that money to try something new. I KNOW I like what I brought on board...

We are both LOVE wine and are semi-picky about what we like, but if you know enough about wine, you can certainly find something as good if not better than what you brought with you. We ordered a bottle of the Fairy Tale champagne one night at dinner which I loved! And off subject, if anyone remembers who bottles that for Disney, please let me know!!

Anyway, our theory is that we did not book this cruise to save money, but if they will allow us to bring wine on board, we will certainly do so! STILL can't believe how much we spent on "adult" beverages anyway!! :headache: But it was worth it!!

Different things are important to different people and also our interpretation of what is deemed fair and just and bending the rules is also different person to person.

Personally I enjoy wine, I like the fact DCL is one of the very few cruise lines that allow you to bring drink onboard and respect them and their rules for that. It allows me to enjoy a drink in my stateroom or on deck. That doesn’t affect anyone.

Now on other cruise lines this debate wouldn’t even start as you couldn’t take any wine to dinner as it’s confiscated at port.

To my first point, respect for the flexibility given to us, I wouldn’t like the option to bring on booze taken away.

Now, we know there is a corking fee for a full bottle of wine, so to me and quite a few people, (not all) taking a glass to dinner from your room is getting around that rule. Now to each of us we have to decide, if as a decent honest traveller, knowing you have not purchased that at a bar, are you bending the rules too much.

To my second point, many posters here post strong statements and opinions, you can do this you can’t do this. DCL to my knowledge hasn’t made any statement that you can do this; circumstantial evidence of providing glasses in room is ‘good service’ by DCL. Not evidence its ok. So those of you who are unsure of the rule, my advice is take a print of this thread to the restaurant and show it to the staff ,saying these people posted that it is fine to do so.

Third point, many people are on tight a budget, that’s understandable, and consider a cruise a major cost. Therefore how to save money is always going to be a popular conversation. A few weeks back there were a few who were posting, we have cruised 5/6 times and never purchased trip insurance and encouraging people this was a good saving. With recent issues on the Magic, those vocal posters encouraging people to save and skip on insurance have gone a bit quite.

My Next point, There are posters here who have encouraged, organising people to use as a team unlimited internet package, it was stopped due to misuse. Where is the line? Also people encouraged, booking REAS, (Romantic escape at sea0 package because of a loophole that you could book shore trips at 105 days. That wasn’t part of the package, and the ‘misuse’ was a reason why REAS stopped. These actions caused other cruisers upset.

Now que at this point, a response saying, some posters can force the future. No I cannot, I am saying in my humble opinion my personal view.
My view is respect for rules (as I read them), and the normal principles of good manners. I would not walk into any good quality restaurant with a glass of wine in my hand. There wine is expensive, I decide if I will pay that, or drink water and, then go to the pub later for a drink.

I consider the views of my servers; I wouldn’t put them in a difficult position. They do not know if that glass came from a bar, or came from the captain’s cocktail party, and if they upset you, you may reduce their tip. No win position. I wouldn’t place anyone in that position.
I have seen a few people take glasses into dinner, when the captains cocktail party isn’t on, normally they hold it low in there hand behind them. Also I have seen hip flasks used, when the server is collecting food, to me this behaviour suggests people are not fully comfortable if it’s allowed or not.

Que anther normal response, well there isn’t a rule you can’t do it. Correct/ true, there isn’t, exactly the same as it isn’t public or written down that you can do it, but a few posters will give you the impression it’s fully ok.

I post this not to flame, not to impact my values on others, not to say what is right or wrong but to try in a balanced way to put my views and those of others into context.

Now, normally a cruise line will make 75% (ish) profit on cruise fare, and 25 %(ish) on the ship, a major part of this for any cruise lines is booze. IMHO, if this is encouraged here and we continue to bend the rules, the line will snap and the freedom to take booze on ‘’for security reasons’ stopped.

I like to bring wine onboard for personal use; I would like to continue to do that.

We all need to make a judgemental call, where we feel, a rule is being observed, and respected, or bent a little bit too much. Large glass/small glass, buying DCL wine, or taking a glass in, it’s up to you!
Everyone is different, everyone a different perspective....

Positive suggestions: By a wine package, or pre buy some wine as gifts pre cruise, or tell people you are on a cruise and for birthdays etc get a gift of wine for the cruise as a nice thoughful present, it tastes better knowing its paid for, and you dont need to carry it from your room.

OMGosh...I can't believe anyone thinks bringing your drink with you to dinner is the same as pretending to ignore a posted sign at the pool or sneakily breaking another rule/request. Puleeez!!!

There is NO rule against bringing your drink with you. If you choose to have them serve you, by means of buying a bottle or paying a corkage fee (which we did), then that is acceptable as well...and more convenient!!

But it is not showing a tackiness or lack of respect or sneaky behavior to carry your drink w/ you from the bar, your room, or the captain's gala. Sorry, just likening this to rude, rule breaking pushed my buttons....LOL

You and me both tinkerell123. :rotfl::rotfl:

It was stunning how many adult beverages we purchased given that we brought on board. This provided tips to the CMs around the pool and at CC I harbor no guilt nor do I feel I was breaking any rules by choosing to drink a drink I poured during my dinner. :thumbsup2

Bottom line is we "dressed" for dinner every night and pour a drink while we were in our room getting ready to go:banana::banana:

And in 2011 we will do it again:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter