How to eat yourself sick in Disney, a step by step guide (UPDATE: 1/21 RAGLAN ROAD!)

you two are absolutely adorable and what fantastic reviews!

thanks...and congrats and a long happy life to the two of you...

I'm joining late but just in time to see what you thought of California Grill! Anyone who can appreciate the amazingness of the Y&Y fried wonton dessert and the spectacularness of the holiday sandwich at EoS gets my full attention!! ;)

Honestly, I'm loving reading your review!

Now bring on the Cali Grill!

I'm really glad to read your review about the Dole Whip. I, too, have yet to try one. I know, it's basically a Disney sin. Anyway, that is #1 on my Disney Live List for our trip in October. I was thinking the exact same thing as you about how it's probably not as spectacular as everyone says, just that it's a treat you can only get in Disney World. I'm so glad to see that you honestly loved it. I can't wait to try it!

Congrats on your marriage, and thanks for a great dining report!

We honeymooned there a few years ago, and I recommend it to everyone who's getting married!

Great and gorgeous food photos too! I have to ask...what kind of camera do you use?

suburbiatexas said:
you two are absolutely adorable and what fantastic reviews!

thanks...and congrats and a long happy life to the two of you...

Thanks! Much, much more to come.

emmysmommy said:
I'm joining late but just in time to see what you thought of California Grill! Anyone who can appreciate the amazingness of the Y&Y fried wonton dessert and the spectacularness of the holiday sandwich at EoS gets my full attention!! ;)

Honestly, I'm loving reading your review!

Now bring on the Cali Grill!

Ugh, I can't even think about those wonton without getting hungry!

I'm not near a computer so the Cali Grill might be a day or two, but it's in progress!

L-Harper said:
I'm really glad to read your review about the Dole Whip. I, too, have yet to try one. I know, it's basically a Disney sin. Anyway, that is #1 on my Disney Live List for our trip in October. I was thinking the exact same thing as you about how it's probably not as spectacular as everyone says, just that it's a treat you can only get in Disney World. I'm so glad to see that you honestly loved it. I can't wait to try it!

Looking forward to what your experience is like.

:)

nfggirl5454 said:
Just subscribed. I'm loving your reviews, and you and Christina are so adorable!

Welcome, and thank you!

Goofyluver said:
Congrats on your marriage, and thanks for a great dining report!

We honeymooned there a few years ago, and I recommend it to everyone who's getting married!

Great and gorgeous food photos too! I have to ask...what kind of camera do you use?

Thanks!

I have a canon dslr, the rebel. The lens I have on it is the 1.4, which runs around $300 and is worth every penny. There's a 1.8 that's about a third of the price which takes comparable shots though.

Congrats on your marriage and your impeccable choice of honeymoon destination (can you tell we also had a Disneymoon lol!) Loving your review so far! Can't wait for Cali Grill :goodvibes

I have been waiting anxiously to write this review. I’m not going to give any back story, I’m just going to hit it.

We checked in at the podium in the Contemporary Resort about 25 minutes early for reservation to the California Grill, and were given a pager (for those of you that aren’t familiar with the check in process here, you go to a desk on the second floor of the Contemporary to check in. Then, someone will take you upstairs to the top floor via an elevator, where you can wait at the bar, or step outside to take in the amazing view of the Castle/Magic Kingdom.) We were told that we were more than welcome to head upstairs to the bar. No sooner than we started to walk towards the elevator, our buzzer went off, and we were greeted by an extremely pleasant girl as our elevator opened, who took us right to our seat.

For the second time on this trip, we were given, what I feel, was the best seat in the house.

IMG_2927.jpg

Complete with celebratory mickey confetti, in light of our honeymoon (which every single person we interacted with in the restaurant congratulated us on.)

IMG_9260.jpg

We were greeted by our waiter ( who happened to be from the Poconos, a little more than an hour from our home,) and given a few glasses of water to start. He thoroughly explained the specials and the menu, and left us to ourselves for a few minutes to decide on our course of action.

He returned with some of this:

IMG_9267.jpg

Sourdough bread with salted butter.

This bread..this butter..I don’t know why, but it does something to me. I could make an entire meal of this stuff, and I almost did. The sea salt adorning the butter gives it just the right amount of saltiness to add to the deliciousness of the soft, fresh sourdough bread. The perfect beginning.

We decided to start with some appetizers, and began with the Lamb Gyro Flat bread.

IMG_9269.jpg

I’m a huge fan of gyros, and this did not disappoint. The flat bread part was warm and crispy, and the toppings were fresh. The lamb meat was really tender.

Our next appetizer a sort of tradition for us. We both agree that the best sushi we’ve ever had in our entire lives comes from this restaurant, and it comes in the form of the Spicy Kazan Roll.

IMG_9274.jpg

How can you NOT order this? If you like sushi, get this. If you don’t, get it anyway and allow it to change your mind. This roll is simply out of this world, every time. The kicker is that amazing spicy sauce they have hidden under the presentation. Take a dollop of that, mix in some crunchy tempura topping, and place on top of a piece of the sushi. One bite and you’ll be in heaven. Yoshi, you are a genius.

For an entree, Christina kept with the sushi theme and ordered the Dragon Roll.

IMG_9284.jpg

Our waiter informed us that she was in luck, due to the fact that tonight’s Dragon Rolls were being prepared with lobster, as opposed to the normal crab. Christina did not complain. She loved this! The bite I had makes me agree. It’s ALMOST as delicious as the Spicy Kazan Roll. Just almost though.

I ordered the Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Goat Cheese Polenta, Roasted Mushrooms, Zinfandel Glaze, Crispy Sage.

IMG_9283.jpg

This dish was out of this world. The pork was cooked perfectly. Juicy and tender throughout. The polenta was sweet and creamy as described, and when coupled with the glaze, each bite was packed full of flavor. Highly recommended.

At this point, we were thoroughly stuffed, and ridiculously happy. In the midst of us discussing how perfect our meal had been, and how we can’t decide if we want dessert or not, our spectacular waiter brought us this:

IMG_9286.jpg

This was the richest, most decadent chocolate cake we have ever experienced. Totally free of charge in honor of our celebration, this thing kicked us into diabetic comas. What an amazing way to end the meal.

Honestly, I couldn’t be any more pleased with our meal at the California Grill. Every year we come here, and every year it gets better and better. They really know how to treat their customers, and the food is amazing. If you haven’t been, make it a point to go, you won’t be dissapointed.

We finished up the night with an amazing view of wishes, and a quiet evening in our hotel room.

Tomorrow brings another relatively early morning, getting to EPCOT for breakfast at the Sunshine Seasons, and lunch at Le Cellier!

You CG meal sounds amazing!! One of my fondest memories of WDW is a meal there with my 13 year old daughter on our last trip. It looks like we were either at or near the same table that you had and we got some special treats for my daughter's birthday. The food, the service and the atmosphere make it so special. I'm glad you had the same experience!:thumbsup2

Congratulations on the wedding!

California Grill is my favorite restaurant at WDW and one of my favorite anywhere. It used to be out "date night" place but now that we have kids we bring the kids as well.

and you ordered some of our favorite dishes :goodvibes

really nothing better than filling yourself with great food and going out on the deck to watch wishes :thumbsup2

Congratulations!

Beautiful couple and I love reading your reviews. Now I want a Lapu Lapu!

Congrats!

Your review begs the question: is there any food out there that nutella does not instantly improve? I think the answer is no.

I'm originally from the Philly area :thumbsup2

Another congrats :) I could not agree MORE with what you said about that sushi. I'll admit it, I never really had "GOOD" sushi before dining there but honestly, I dream of that Spicy Kazan Roll. Your description is dead on (love that spicy stuff inside) and I am now drooling again... great. :rotfl2:

Agreed! I think you were seated at the best table in the house! Love the view of the castle from your table. :lovestruc That's a great photo of the two of you.

Cali Grill continues to be one of my favorites... we have never missed an opportunity to dine here and one of the reasons is that they provide such exceptional service and oh my gosh... that pork tenderloin.... so wonderful!! :thumbsup2

And just when you thought you couldn't take another bite.. hello! Chocolate cake! Glad to know you had a great dinner!

I just read your California Grill review, and it's awesome! Gorgeous pictures, entertaining commentary...let me just say I'm not a huge fan of California Grill, but your review is selling me on it. :laughing: I really miss their sushi now!

Looking forward to the next update. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!