How to dress for dinner

trayecejay

Earning My Ears
We're preparing for our first cruise in December. I've read a lot on the boards about how adults and young girls dress for dinner. My question is how are most older boys dressed for dinner? My son is twelve (thirteen in January).

We're preparing for our first cruise in December. I've read a lot on the boards about how adults and young girls dress for dinner. My question is how are most older boys dressed for dinner? My son is twelve (thirteen in January).
The only "dress code" for dinner is "no swimwear or tank tops". Beyond that, you'll see all manner of dress (even on formal nights) from shorts and flip-flops to full on gowns and tiaras.

Hahaha, Rfc0001! You beat me to the punch! That is exactly what I thought when I read the question!! Sorry OP, you asked a serious question. I think a pair of chinos/khakis and either a button down shirt or a nice polo shirt would do very nicely for a 12 y.o. boy for dinner w/DCL. That is unless he actually LIKES to dress up. In that case I'd say let him dress up!

I mostly saw kahki pants or shorts with polo type shirts. Think private school dress code. I really didn't see anything sloppy but not much fancy (i.e. ties) either.

Let them dress up if they want to. DS (11-15) was going through a phase. He wanted a 3-piece suit. We compromised w/ a dress shirt, tie and vest (no jacket).

DH will wear black slacks and shirt that buttons......probably one that I made for him. For dress up nights (formal, semi-formal) he will wear a dress shirt and tie.

The only "dress code" for dinner is "no swimwear or tank tops". Beyond that, you'll see all manner of dress (even on formal nights) from shorts and flip-flops to full on gowns and tiaras.

When are formal nights on a 7 night Caribbean cruise? I've looked for some time and the opinions are all over the place on formal nights.

Most kids that age we've seen are in shorts and either a t-shirt or a polo shirt---

To dress for dinner, I suggest putting on your pants one leg at a time, just like the rest of us :p
Hahaha, Rfc0001! You beat me to the punch! That is exactly what I thought when I read the question!! Sorry OP, you asked a serious question. I think a pair of chinos/khakis and either a button down shirt or a nice polo shirt would do very nicely for a 12 y.o. boy for dinner w/DCL. That is unless he actually LIKES to dress up. In that case I'd say let him dress up!

Great minds think alike... I had the same thought, too.

My DS12 wore his school uniform for cruise casual dinners - khaki shorts and collared polo shirts. He work khaki pants and a long sleeve button down shirt for semi-formal and added a blazer for formal night.

Martin

Khakis and a polo shirt, or a long sleeve button down shirt, is what most boys in that age group wear in the MDRs.

MUN

When are formal nights on a 7 night Caribbean cruise? I've looked for some time and the opinions are all over the place on formal nights.
On a 7 night cruise, typically, formal night is night 2 (generally the first sea day), and semi-formal is night 6. Of course, variations do occur.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter