How to deal with the "You're going to Disney again?" people

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by Fantasmic23, Feb 28, 2010.

1. daisy2jae

daisy2jae DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. daisy2jae

daisy2jae DIS Veteran

Can't wait for our trip in September. We're keeping it a secret from EVERYONE even the kids! Don't want to hear "Your going again!". I wish I could see their faces when they go on facebook Sept 4th and see a picture of us at the castle smiling!

4. let'sgo

let'sgo DIS Veteran

priceless!

5. naholder

naholder Earning My Ears

DH and I work at an elementary school where a few of the teacher go to Disney on vacations. So the question we hear a lot is "Do you all see each other there?" The answer to that is i NO.

6. dzneelvr

dzneelvr A Disney Dolly<br><font color=deeppink>Doesn't min

Just last week I got the "raised eyebrow" from a co worker. I think they don't understand how a family can make WDW evolve to fit the preferences of a family's ages; those who haven't gone tend to think of it one dimensionally for small children. DS is now 22 and DD 20, but they love going and staying onsite as much if not more than when they were small kids. we do more of some things, less of others, more experimenting with dining, more tours and behind the scenes, etc. Simply said: we consider ourselves so fortunate to have a family all together on vacation and that brings a positive comment 99.9% of the time;)

7. 2luvmickey

2luvmickey Where my dreams always come true...

Why do I love to go to Disney? Because I feel it is a place I can share some common ground with my growing sons. We love the rides, the fireworks, the movies. My DS 18 isn't too shot up on Disney, but he did enjoy a day at Disneyland with his cousins.

It's your life, your family, YOUR CHOICE.

I love the "because I can!" line.

8. mouseseeker

mouseseeker Earning My Ears

I don't understand why people care how many times or when we go to Disney. Disney puts a smile on my face and makes me happy. I plan atleast 6 months out. I have been to Disney at least 15 times in my life and I am only 32 years old! Only my husband and kids should care if we go every year and they enjoy the trips:lovestruc

9. Fantasmic23

Fantasmic23 A little nonsense now and then is relished by the

I love ALL of you! :lovestruc Seriously. Finally, people who "get" the whole wonderful Disney thing.

10. epcotprincess

epcotprincess Love all of WDW, but Epcot is my happy place!

The bottom line is that some people just. don't. get. it.

Forget them, tell them you're so excited. Then move on.

You'll meet them around every corner. I was telling someone the other day that I've been on countless other vacations and always came home like, "yeah, x place was ok." I have never come home with the same "that was AWESOME" feeling I have when I leave WDW, and that's why we return.

The point is, if they're not paying for it, you don't owe them an explanation, and they don't have the right to make you feel stupid or bad. Some people I know go to Vegas twice a year, and I don't get that either, but it's their money and their time off work. I don't understand other people's obsession with questioning some people's choices in vacation venues. Get over it! Sheesh.

11. GrumpyDad1974

GrumpyDad1974 Mouseketeer

I used to try and explain to them that the cost was the same or less than a week in the mountains or the beach when you factor in everything... but nobody listened, they just assumed we are "rich" (not so) because 1 of our weeks is in Disney... So now I just let them think we spend $5000 for a week every year, i think it a jealousy thing???

12. MaleficentandGoons

MaleficentandGoons Mouseketeer

I don't think it's a "jealous" thing. I have to listen to my parents complain about us "always" going. We went to Disney in 2008 for our honeymoon and Universal this year. As you can see from my ticker we aren't going back for another 5 years. They thought we would do something more "mature". Laying on a beach all day isn't our thing. We have summers off and can go to the beach everyday. We do go to other places but I truly believe that people say ,"you're going again?" because they are grumps who just don't get the levels of fun that are at Disney. They don't understand or care to look past the mouse.

13. Fantasmic23

Fantasmic23 A little nonsense now and then is relished by the

Exactly! I don't think that it's a jealousy/envy thing, either. I have learned in these past few months that no matter how hard I try to "sell" Disney (Even just talking about it in glowing terms), there are some people who just won't budge. Some people are very interested and enthusiastically ask questions and then there are the GRUMPS. I just change the subject and move on.

14. dis75ney

dis75ney <font color=blue>Member of the Royal Society For P

My parents are the biggest culprits of this. Whenever they bring up the "You're going to Disney AGAIN? When are you going to see the rest of the world?" line, I sweetly remind them that there are other places in the world besides Vegas, London, and Jamaica (their preferred vacation spots). Usually shuts them up for a while... :lmao:

15. Keishag

Keishag Mouseketeer

I think we'll probably keep our next trip pretty quiet as I'm fully expecting the same responses. We were there June of 09 and are returning in October, but DH and I figure our kids are only this age once, and we're not promised tomorrow or todays income!! Why not make the best of today while we're able to? Who knows if we'll always be able to afford Disney or not.

16. Evi

Evi DIS Veteran

When they mention it smile let the sparkle shine in your eyes at just the thought of going and then just nod. They'll see how happy just thinking about going is making you and then you'll just leave them wondering if your a nut or if there missing something.

Who really cares if they think your a nut.......

17. tlcslp

tlcslp teacher moms rock!

Then there's the people who tell me I'm crazy or going in August, saying we'll be miserable. first, I am well aware that it's hot and humid in Florida in August. Duh.

As a teacher, I can go on the vacation weeks that are nutso, or I can go in teh summer. It's not my first choice of times for a Florida trip, but it's all I can do.

So BE QUIET and be happy for us! Geez...what a buzzkill!:mad:

18. bonrea

bonrea Family-Above All Else In Life

They ask; they turn their noses up; they say “You are a freak”; yet they secretly wish they could go; I say I feel sorry for you...

We have invited friends to join us. One family has accepted is going with us in October this year. Another actually joined DVC because they loved our stories of the family fun we have and is so appreciative that they can’t stop thanking us. They want now to schedule vacations at the same time that we do so they can learn the ropes [so-to-speak]. We are happy to oblige, and they have become our biggest supporters and defenders when people say the same old words: “You are going to Disney AGAIN!!!???”

Signature [below] says it all!

19. carrollchristoph

carrollchristoph Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

We did this, too! The surprise was really incredible!

20. visitingapril09

visitingapril09 DIS Veteran

Just smile and say nothing!:cool1:

21. bonrea

bonrea Family-Above All Else In Life

Just smile and wave boys; just smile and wave…

:thumbsup2