how strict is DCL on the ages of the teen clubs and 1820 society?

GreatGreyDay

Earning My Ears
my family is headed out on a disney wonder cruise this march (so excited!!) I'm 21 and was a little sad to find the ages of the 1820 society had changed to exclude 21 year olds. Does anyone know how strict dcl is with this limit? would they still let me participate?
also, my younger brother (13) and sister (15) are in 2 separate cub levels; will they let my brother into vibe with my sister since he is only 1 year away? my sister is in a wheelchair and it would be a huge help if my brother could go with her. any thoughts?

thanks in advance!!

my family is headed out on a disney wonder cruise this march (so excited!!) I'm 21 and was a little sad to find the ages of the 1820 society had changed to exclude 21 year olds. Does anyone know how strict dcl is with this limit? would they still let me participate?
also, my younger brother (13) and sister (15) are in 2 separate cub levels; will they let my brother into vibe with my sister since he is only 1 year away? my sister is in a wheelchair and it would be a huge help if my brother could go with her. any thoughts?

thanks in advance!!
The 21 age limit was dropped due to some issues where the 21 year olds could order alcohol and those under cannot drink alcohol. I've read that, occasionally, they sort of look the other way if older than 20 year olds want to participate, but it really doesn't happen often. Once someone turns 21 they generally don't want to hang out with "kids".

As for the 13 year old in Vibe - maybe. That would be decided by the CMs at Vibe once onboard the ship. If there are a lot of 14-17 year olds on the ship (maxing out the numbers that can participate in Vibe), then the answer is more likely to be "no". And the same thing applies - most teenagers (14 and up) don't like "kids" hanging in "their" space.

just off the Fantasy with kids ages: 18, 18, 20, 22, 23. All 5 went to the 1820's club the 1st night in hopes of meeting other younger cruisers. Only 1 other person showed. The CM assigned knew some were over the age limit, but since the games and such are so much better in groups, they encouraged all my young adults to come to the 1820's activities. In the end my 18 yr old son was the only one who kept going, including the girl who showed up the first night. My son ended up making great friends with the CMs, and we all joined up around 10pm in the Tube for the adults only games. Think outside the box if you're in that age range. There was enough that even the 23 year old was entertained, one day I ran into him and his little brother in a heated game of Disney Music trivia in Europa, with about 20-30 women and children.

Once someone turns 21, hanging out with someone just because they can't "legally" drink alcohol doesn't consider them kids at 18-20 either. Let's share with them all the 21 and up things they can do. Also, if you have friends at 18 and older. Serenity bay will be a blast for you all.

JW

The 21 age limit was dropped due to some issues where the 21 year olds could order alcohol and those under cannot drink alcohol. I've read that, occasionally, they sort of look the other way if older than 20 year olds want to participate, but it really doesn't happen often. Once someone turns 21 they generally don't want to hang out with "kids".

As for the 13 year old in Vibe - maybe. That would be decided by the CMs at Vibe once onboard the ship. If there are a lot of 14-17 year olds on the ship (maxing out the numbers that can participate in Vibe), then the answer is more likely to be "no". And the same thing applies - most teenagers (14 and up) don't like "kids" hanging in "their" space.

thanks for the response! since i will be the only +18 in my group besides my parents I was looking for things I could do solo, but i'm sure I'll find something. just excited for the vacay either way! :D

just off the Fantasy with kids ages: 18, 18, 20, 22, 23. All 5 went to the 1820's club the 1st night in hopes of meeting other younger cruisers. Only 1 other person showed. The CM assigned knew some were over the age limit, but since the games and such are so much better in groups, they encouraged all my young adults to come to the 1820's activities. In the end my 18 yr old son was the only one who kept going, including the girl who showed up the first night. My son ended up making great friends with the CMs, and we all joined up around 10pm in the Tube for the adults only games. Think outside the box if you're in that age range. There was enough that even the 23 year old was entertained, one day I ran into him and his little brother in a heated game of Disney Music trivia in Europa, with about 20-30 women and children.

that sounds awesome! so glad it worked out for some of them and that disney was open to including them all! guess I will have to wait a few more weeks to find out for my cruise! :tongue:

Once someone turns 21, hanging out with someone just because they can't "legally" drink alcohol doesn't consider them kids at 18-20 either. Let's share with them all the 21 and up things they can do. Also, if you have friends at 18 and older. Serenity bay will be a blast for you all.

JW

I am really excited about serenity bay, even if I just end up going solo as my parents are the only ones in my party who are also 18+. I hear the BBQ in that area has a couple more items on their menu than at cookies and cookies too, and the food is probably the thing I am most looking forward to on the cruise! :mickeybar

I am really excited about serenity bay, even if I just end up going solo as my parents are the only ones in my party who are also 18+. I hear the BBQ in that area has a couple more items on their menu than at cookies and cookies too, and the food is probably the thing I am most looking forward to on the cruise! :mickeybar
I'm sure if you have time. You can maybe look at the singles boards or whatnot for others around your age. Again. Doesn't need to be 21 and above only outside those clubs. I will say if hanging out with unknown crowds, don't enter any staterooms of strangers. Be aware of your surroundings and even at your age. Check in with parents just to let them know who you are hanging out with and what not. Always watch your drinks!

JW

WBPC last May the 18+ group was 18 up to about 26. My son was 19 at the time. He went to a the planned meets but they also largely self-organized outside of that. They met up frequently in Diversions for Cards Against Humanity or poker. They would meet after the adult show in the evenings and close down the joint with the DJ. My 17 yro was mostly disinterested with the Vibe crew so he often joined in with the 18+ crew. They all had fun. What was really cool was after the cruise when it seemed half the ship was sitting it out in the San Diego airport, the kids all found each other and more cards ensued. Living it to the bitter end. LOL!

My daughter has participated in this group and they haven't ever turned the older young adults away!! It wasn't about the alcohol, it was more about trying to make a group for the "inbetweens". The 21 and up are full fledged 'adults' but the 18 to 20 are kind of like 'mini' adults. So it was about creating a group for them. But the other young adults are welcomed. Remember these 18 to 20 somethings are often going to college and living with 21 and 22 year olds!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts