1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

How strict are they about kids menus?

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Calle&Jakesmom, Jan 21, 2013.

1. davedmaine

davedmaine DIS Veteran

If you're not on the dining plan, you can order whatever you want..

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. BEASLYBOO

BEASLYBOO <font color=deeppink>It's part of the charm<br><fo

Marrakesh tried this with us during our Thanksgiving vacation. 7 of us, 2 of which were 11 year old girls, they wanted the kids pasta. The waiter said they had to order from the adult menu, I told him we're paying OOP, so it doesn't matter, he said it's the rule! My reply was, it's 5 adult meals, a bottle of wine and 2 kids pasta, or we walk and eat elsewhere, you decide?

He took our orders, dinner what very good, as was the show!

I can understand a restaurants concern, had we walked in and all 7 of us wanted to order from the kids menu. We enjoy Marrakesh, but had they made the decision to stick to the "rules", it' would have been the last of my money they would have ever seen!

:offtopic: I think LC, since going to 2TS credits is going to encounter issues when many show up with lunch ADR's and only order soup and bread, paying OOP! I have real issues with a restaurant dictating what I can order when I'm paying OOP and we're not using the DDP.

4. jakenjess

jakenjess DIS Veteran

We had this problem at Tutto Italia. They would not let us order a child's meal for our older DS. We were paying OOP for everything, but they weren't budging.

5. AppleSister1

AppleSister1 DIS Veteran

If you are not on the dining plan, you shouldn't have a problem. My nephews are now 10 and 12. For the last few trips we've asked for both menus just in case and no one has ever asked their ages or given us any push back, even when trying to modify things (eg, plain pasta with butter, that kind of thing.)

Happy to report they graduated to all adult ordering this time (even though we asked for the kid's menu just in case) and were very adventurous! They also split apps or entrees with each other or us so they could experiement more without feeling pressure to finish a whole meal. Never got push back on that either, and it worked out very well. :thumbsup2

6. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

I totally understand it too. I do cringe when I read about adults and older teen girls ordering off the kids menu at TS restaurants, but I feel I really can't say much since I bend the rules too for my DD. There were 7 of us as well (5 adults, one older teen and my DD) and we had already ordered specialty drinks. It was NYE and we really couldn't threaten to leave ... they would have just tossed us out and gladly seated the next group. We tipped the minimum that was added to our bill and it was indeed the last time we were there.

7. ElizabethG

ElizabethG When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!

I have an addition about plated meals. We went to CRT when my son was 10 (October 2012). We had already pre-paid for the meal with him as an adult. When we were seated they gave him both the child and adult menus. They said he could choose from either one. However, if he chose from the kids menu, he would be given a larger portion. For his meal, he ordered from the adult menu, because he liked the status of being considered an 'adult'. But he ordered ice cream off of the kids menu for dessert, as did my DD8. His was much bigger than hers.

8. Pudding mum

Pudding mum Earning My Ears

When paying oop can you ask for a child's portion off the adult menu??? I can't see my 9yrold ds being happy with mac n cheese and nuggets for two weeks.

9. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

We did once. As I said before my DD is a vegetarian and we made a reservation at Les Chefs so we could see Remy. I knew that there were no vegetarian meals on the kids menu and I asked if she could have a child-sized portion of the Gratin de Macaroni. They brought it with no problem ... BUT I think it was because she was a vegetarian and they didn't have anything on the kids menu that she *could* eat. I'm not sure they would do it she just preferred the macaroni and cheese over the rest of the menu, KWIM?

I think your best bet would be to review the menus and choose places that have a variety of meal options for your DD. For instance, Chefs has a hamburger and a fish dish on the kids menu.

10. Calle&Jakesmom

Calle&Jakesmom DIS Veteran

Anyone have experience with older kids ordering off the kid's menu at the Sci-Fi (paying OOP)?

11. DisneyDiana

DisneyDiana DIS Veteran

DS10 ordered off the kids menu at scifi in June with no problem. I didn't mention his age, I just asked for a kids menu when we were seated.

12. Finkerfell

Finkerfell Mouseketeer

Oh boy. What if you are on dp, but my very small and picky 10 year old wont eat anything off the adult menu. Can pay oop for her everywhere and use her adult credits for more signature meals?

13. siskaren

siskaren DIS Veteran

That shouldn't be a problem.

14. Finkerfell

Finkerfell Mouseketeer

I thought I read on another thread that it would be ok, but I want to be sure. Even if its free dining??

15. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

It's not a problem even with free dining. Just ask for a kids menu and make sure that your server knows you will pay OOP.

16. Finkerfell

Finkerfell Mouseketeer

Thank you!

17. BriarRosie

BriarRosie <font color=blue>Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:<br>Cl

Aren't both of those places operating participants vs. Disney owned and operated? I think that may be the problem with some of those restaurants, but I'm still baffled at the post I remember about the Plaza. That one really surprised me.

18. DisneyMomx7

DisneyMomx7 DIS Veteran

We've done this at many restaurants. The only two who ever completely refused were Tutto Italia and the Plaza.

19. joanchris

joanchris Mouseketeer

We were at Maya Grill and told that my 14 yr old could not order off the kids menu, she wasn't very hungry or thrilled with what was on the regular menu. Counter service there should be no problem, but I wouldn't count on Table service always allowing it.