How safe does Grand Cayman feel?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by mousebrat, Aug 15, 2010.

1. mousebrat

mousebrat DIS Veteran

DW would like to take DS2 shopping while we DS4 and I do the Atlantis submarine. For those who have been to Grand Cayman recently, does it feel safe for a lady with a child to walk around be herself in the area around the dock? As a point of reference, DW would not feel comfortable by herself in Nassau.

Thanks for any input!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MouseLovinMom

MouseLovinMom Mouseketeer

We walked around last fall and felt perfectly comfortable. Grand Cayman has a very different atmosphere from Nassau. We are always careful when visiting any city and take the usual precautions to avoid being targeted by would be wrongdoers.

4. PrinceandPrincess

PrinceandPrincess Show Me the Castle!

I as a single mom walked around grand cayman with a 5 month old and a 3.5 year old and never felt uncomfortable for a minute. It was one of my favorite islands actually. We took a cab to see Hell which was kind of cool. There were a lot of great rock formations to look at.

Kim

5. disneyfaninaz

disneyfaninaz It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Everything you'd want to see and do is right at the waterfront. We walked up and down the street and did not feel unsafe.

6. SplashMountainManiac

SplashMountainManiac DIS Veteran

Grand Cayman is probably one of the safest ports you will ever visit. Just exercise standard precautions and you will not have any problems.

7. nenner1

nenner1 <font color=darkorchid>I must've been distracted b

I agree with everyone above. Loved shopping in GC. No pressure. Very safe, heavily populated with tourists. I walked alone in GC with my 2 kids, while my husband went back to the boat to pick up the baby. I did not feel uncomfortable at all! :)

8. giftcard

giftcard Mouseketeer

I agree w/ the above posters. I've been to Grand Cayman twice and felt very safe both times. On my past cruise, in November, I spent the whole day along wandering around George Town on my own while my friends were off doing excursions.

9. mousebrat

mousebrat DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for the quick feedback! We are feeling much better about Georgetown.

10. LindaBabe

LindaBabe DIS Veteran

GC is VERY safe. My girlfriend and I took a jitney (bus) out to Hell and back - everybody else was Caymanian. They were sweet to us. :)

She'll probably want a stroller for the little one.

There's a wonderful toy store with a glass floor through which you can see an ancient walk in "well", as well as an interesting museum, and a tiny craft market. When you come off the ship, turn right on the main street. It's a few blocks up.