how safe are things in rooms?

CAnn

Earning My Ears
Hi
I am sooooo excited. We are going on Sunday & we're booked at the allstar Movie. Can anyone tell me if there is a safe in the room? How safe is it to leave passports or traveller's checks in your room? I will take them with me everytime we go out if I have to, but I was thinking about when we go to one of the water parks, what then?
Any comments?
Thanks!! Disney here we come!!cheer2:

CAnn said:
Hi
I am sooooo excited. We are going on Sunday & we're booked at the allstar Movie. Can anyone tell me if there is a safe in the room? How safe is it to leave passports or traveller's checks in your room? I will take them with me everytime we go out if I have to, but I was thinking about when we go to one of the water parks, what then?
Any comments?
Thanks!! Disney here we come!!cheer2:

They are no more or less safe than they would be at any other hotel around the world. In the times I've travelled and had a safe to use in my room, I have placed items in there without a problem. Even with a safe, I've also kept a lock on my luggage and kept items I couldn't fit into the safe in there, again, with no problem.

Keep in mind that the safe in the room at Disney is exceedingly small. Big enough for a passport and checks? Sure. Big enough for a camera? Maybe not.

On my last trip to England, I had read it's actually better to leave your passport at the hotel and carry a photocopy with you. Less chance of losing the original. If you need to make more copies, you still have the passport. If you lose (or it's stolen) your passport, you now have photocopies with you to help you replace it. :)

When I travel abroad I keep my passport with me (but I tend to stay in 2 star hotels with no safe LOL!) I use one of those wallets you wear under your clothes.

At Disney I have used the safes at all the hotels and never had a problem. However, if you have large amounts of cash or very expensive jewels I would use the front desk's lock box service. I have heard of hotel safes being broken into. (Of course in one instance the person supposedly had carried on a phone conversation in the lobby about some expensive stuff they had in thier room.... common sense always helps!)

The room safe should be fine for small items, including even small camcorders and cameras. We usually leave a camera, wallets, spare cash, car keys, and other small items in the safe.

We always use the room safe for everything and have never had a problem with it. But we have never had a problem with anything..I left my digital camera sitting out on the table once and we came back and it hadn't been touched. It just depends on the honesty of the staff no matter where you stay. But in general the room safe is a good idea. :)

It also depends on whether it is a key lock or combination lock. I had read a while back that someone said they were staying in a certain room and had lost their key to the safe in their room. Management cut them a new key and when the actual people got back to their suite (it was a suite if I remember correctly) everything was gone from the safe. I do use the safe myself for things like my wallet when we're swimming, etc. but if I were you I would probably just check my passports in a safe at the front desk at checkin since you won't be needing them until you checkout. Better safe than sorry.

I stayed at POFQ last year. I'm embarassed to say this but...I never found where the in room safe was...then again I wasn't looking very hard. Me and dh thought it was odd but didn't ask anyone about it.

Anyway, we had about $200 that we left in the room. I kept it in a wallet in a drawer in the pocket of a pair of shorts. I know this wasn't smart, but I didn't want to have a ton of extra money on us in the parks.

No one stole our cash. I would hope that mousekeeping is ethical. While it is naive to assume your stuff is secure in your room, I gave Disney the benefit of the doubt and had no problems.

With that said, I would not leave anything I couldn't bear to lose unattened in my room. For example, I'd never take off my wedding ring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter