how people afford those disney world vacations

Look into the Disney Individual Youth Group Program. It can save a lot of money for park tickets and great classes.

Last year we went in Sept my son loved the class and we saved hundreds of dollars. I think a 7 day park hopper with water parks and more is just a little over $200.

Think about renting DVC pts, can save a lot.

I have a subaccount with my bank where I have a set amount each pay period added.

These days I'm a little hesitant to purchase WDW tickets in advance - only because many of the promotions that Disney offers requires you to purchase tickets as part of the deal (e.g. free dining requires 2 day ticket purchase).

If it were me, I'd pick the time I want to go and then book a room-only at a value resort. Then start saving and socking away as much as you can into an account. Look for promotions and then jump on one that meets your needs.

But in this economy, if you cannot afford to go, please do not go into debt for the vacation. Just delay the gratification and keep saving!!!

Many on these boards feel they can't go without eating at the Disney restaurants ... you can cut costs on food considerably if you want. You'll find lots of suggestions here.

So aside from transporation to WDW, room, and park tickets ... the rest can be controlled (food and souveniers) depending upon you and your families preferences.

We now go to WDW quite a bit, but we started out going cheaply - we did not go into hock buying a home bigger than we needed, etc. In other words, we tried to live within our means. Some of our best WDW vacations were those early "cheapie" ones.

Let the savings begin!

Since I've never been, I have to way to fathom in my mind what the crowds must be like. Is it really a good idea to go Dec 26 -30? Its a week that my husband gets off work for vacation. The only other week he gets is July 4.

Or maybe there could be SOME WAY we could manage to get his boss to let him off for a week, but not likely.

Hi, We have gone to WDW twice during the Dec.28 to Dec. 31 time period before. SUPER BUSY!!!!!!! The first time standing room only. Next time we went back they had shut the doors with less people, still really busy! Mind you we went with two small children. We absolutely loved it!!!!! We didn't mind the crowds so much. We learned which attractions to go to (i.e. small world during a parade), and the fireworks were amazing. Still had all the Christmas decorations up.

Both of your vacation times are 2 of the busiest times of the year.

Remember you don't have to stay on Disney grounds to have fun :thumbsup2

I heard of a family of 5 going for almost less than a $1,000. I guess it can happend :yay:

HA!

Well, my Disney trips were more frugal when we lived in CA as I would just pop down for the day! :lmao:

I told DH that a condition for moving me all the way across the country was that we would do Disney at least once per year! It just cost a LOT more now.

Dawn

You sound exactly like us. We stay in an off-site condo usually for around $200. It cost me almost as much for the dog sitting as our condo LOL. We always take our food into the parks which saves a ton. This past year was our first time doing the YES program. That was great, I hope they continue that program until we get back down there in 2012!!! I also have an ING account.

It must be something about the Carolinas that makes you be able to do budget WDW trips. :goodvibes

I put $225 a pay (twice a month) on the trip, and then $200 a pay into a saving for extras and gas and boarding the dog..... by the time we go we'll have the room and dining paid off ( Bay Lake Tower Villa w DDP) and we'll have about 4K in $$ for the other stuff we need..... its just a frame of mind you have to get into that you WANT to do it ;) I'm sure you'll find a way and the good thing is if you can't go for one reason or another you can move the ressie as you need to.....

I prefer to pay myself each month...I put $300 twice a month (when dh gets paid) in a vacation account. It builds up quickly and we use this account to pay for Disney or the beach. That way, when a code comes out, I just book the room, pay the deposit and keep my money until its due at Disney. I usually charge it when it comes due (to get the Disney rewards) and then write a check to the cc.

And on the dog issue...isnt there a family friend or neighbor who could tend to the dogs? I usually have a neighbor come and feed and let the dog out, and feed the cat (indoor). I would hate to have to board 2 dogs for that price. My mom will be keeping ours when we go in a few months.

I'm so happy for you that you got a quote and now you can begin to save up!! Eat out less is my biggest money saver. Our very first on-site trip we paid for with our tax return. This year we have to use our tax return for bills so we hope to go back in 2012. I want to get our neighbor to walk the dog, he has done so for 3 days in the past but I DH thinks anytime more than 3 days we should use a kennel.

If DH only gets Christmas week or July 4th I think I would pick July 4th only if I was getting the water park tickets too. Otherwise I would go Christmas week and just enjoy being there even if it's crowded.

I have wanted to see Disney World since I was in the third grade and some classmates came back telling me all about it.

Well, here we are 40 :hippie: and still have never been. He doesn't really care about it, but it's just something I need to do. Just never could afford it. So I took the leap. :thumbsup2

I got a quote for the resort, dining and park tickets for 5 days between Christmas and New Year for 1700.00 which to my surprise was unbelievable! :santa: I was expecting it to be way more than that. So paying the $200 to book it not a problem.

But now I've got to figure out how I'm going to come up with the rest of it by November. :eek: PLUS: I've got to do something with my dogs. I'm estimating the doggy kennel there will probably be around $ 200 - 300 for two chihuahuas. So I've got to sell blood or something. :confused3 hahaha
Just kidding. Thanks for all of the ideas on how to raise the money. Cause I really really really want to go really BAD! princess:

Can I book just the Resort Lodging only.. and then come back later on and add the park tickets?

If they come out with a free dining promo, maybe I could add the rest then. I've also seen them have promos like buy 3 nights and get 3 nights.

there is a webiste that i absolutely love!:love: a woman could never afford to take her family to disney. she had a set grocery budget. by using coupons to spend less, she would but the difference away in an account. she also saved change did surveys etc.. eventually by doing all of this she saves enough money to send her family to disney every year. check out this website! it is really cool

www.couponingtodisney.com

Here is how my niece who is on a very tight budget is doing it. She is buying things as she goes. She saved up a enough to buy one child's ticket, bought it, then and adult ticket, then a hotel, then airfare, she just did itin stages!

Forgive me as this is my first trip that I'm planning/paying for myself, but how does the actual room-only payment work? You put down a deposit for the first night.. then how do they make you pay for the rest? You just call them and say, I want to add more money to pay off this bill, and continue to do that until it's paid off or something? I am so confused :confused:

You pay your first night's deposit and the rest isn't due til you check in. You CAN pay it down, over the phone only though, before you get there, but depending on how much money you have saved already, you can just wait til you get there and pay it off.

Can I book just the Resort Lodging only.. and then come back later on and add the park tickets?

If they come out with a free dining promo, maybe I could add the rest then. I've also seen them have promos like buy 3 nights and get 3 nights.

You can do this absolutely... you dont even need to add the park tickets to your package.. you can purchase tickets once your down there.. you can also purchase tickets a little bit cheaper by going thru undercovertourist... sign up for mousesavers.com newsletter and get a link each month thru the newsletter for even cheaper tickets then undercover tourist lists on their website..

if they come out with free dining or a better promo you just call up disney the only thing is since you originally booked a room only and want to book a package they have to cancel the current trip you have to wait for your refund then recall to book the current promo... or at least i had to last time

just make sure that when promo come out you do all the math and make sure its the right deal financially for you

I do surverys on quickrewards.net and cash out for Disney gift cards.

I make $100 a month in gift cards doing surveys.

We are going in the fall, taking advantage of kids play free and staying in a value resort.

With the gift cards that I earned and Disney rewards dollars, we are only paying $800 out of pocket. This is for 2 adults, 2 kids, one baby and includes tickets, room and dining. :)

hmmm so how does this work??

We are always looking for a way to save money so we can go BACK. So the best way to go back is to save money on the current vacation!
We always look at the people staying at say the Grand Floridian, and say "Yes I could stay here and just put it on my VISA and they would accept it. However, I would rather do other things with my money!" It's their choice to spend money like it's going out of style. Who knows maybe it's their only "trip of a lifetime". I know it won't be mine! I will have change left over in my pocket, so we can go back next year. When all is said and done, aren't you more interested in the parks anyway? I'm not saying we cram 5 of us into a standard hotel room, but we look at all of our options -which exclude staying on property for all 5 of us now.
So look at all of those people throwing thousands of dollars on their vacations and remember it's their choice to do that- you don't have to spend that way to have a good time!!!!

How to people afford those disney vacations. I never can save enough up to go on the vacation I would like. I wish there was a way you could just put a down payment on your vacation quote and pay it out each month until your trip. That would help alot!!

No offense - but stop being a whiner and make it happen! No one can ever afford anything unless they believe they can.

We are always looking for a way to save money so we can go BACK. So the best way to go back is to save money on the current vacation!
We always look at the people staying at say the Grand Floridian, and say "Yes I could stay here and just put it on my VISA and they would accept it. However, I would rather do other things with my money!" It's their choice to spend money like it's going out of style. Who knows maybe it's their only "trip of a lifetime". I know it won't be mine! I will have change left over in my pocket, so we can go back next year. When all is said and done, aren't you more interested in the parks anyway? I'm not saying we cram 5 of us into a standard hotel room, but we look at all of our options -which exclude staying on property for all 5 of us now.
So look at all of those people throwing thousands of dollars on their vacations and remember it's their choice to do that- you don't have to spend that way to have a good time!!!!
Actually, not everyone goes just for the parks. But if you do, that's all good. :) People who go to Disney only for the parks are usually happy to stay at the values or an offsite hotel. However, there are some people for whom the resort is as important if not more important than the park. So they may choose the Poly or the Grand because that's what their idea of a vacation is. I don't think that I'm spending "money like it's going out of style" when I choose to vacation at a deluxe. It's what I prefer and it actually makes for a happier vacation for me. All things considered, the resort price is only a fraction of the cost of trip when you take into consideration the cost of the flights, tickets and food.

But I agree that being able to get back to Disney begins with finding the best possible price for your trip that you can possibly get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter